HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread Part 4

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2012, 12:43 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
He makes too much money to "hide behind talent" doesn't he? I can't see a team taking him unless they're going to play him 25-28 minutes a night on the top pairing.
He's not a go to guy. I think a team like St. Louis is perfect where big softy slots in behind better players and can play a complementary role. The salary is bloated but NHL owners are throwing money around like pez candy. Overpaid for potential, Bouwmeester hasn't delivered the expected offense in Calgary. His icetime has been adjusted accordingly. Can play big minutes and stays healthy. In large measure because he avoid contact despite imposing size.

Bouwmeester didn't want the pressure of playing in his hometown. The Oil management have been dilligent identifying and placing high value on character and players that want to Alpha dogs in the Edmonton hockey market fishbowl environment. Given the chance to come here, Bouwmeester opted for Calgary.

I just have a hard time seeing a Calgary - Edmonton deal around a 'core' type player versus a used up Staios for a lottery ticket. Don't see Bouwmeester waiving no trade to jump into a hometown market he's worked hard at avoiding.

St. Louis, Boston are the type of teams that slot him in appropriately 'hiding' behind lead talent and character like Pietroangelo and/or Chara. It's also a safer landing spot for Flamers management. With the Oil incredible forward talent, Bouwmeester point totals could improve. Last thing Feaster or Flamers fans would want to see is a Kmart special deal that betters its rival. Big downside if it's a salary dump they're looking for.

Last edited by Behind Enemy Lines: 07-10-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old
07-10-2012, 12:50 AM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I have zero interest in Bouwmeester. Yes he can play minutes, but unless he's ready to take a big time drop in pay at the end of his deal to stay close to home, I see no reason to take on his contract. And if we do we had better not be giving up much of substance. I'd rather get someone that doesn't have the stink of a Flame on them.
I would be fine with Bouw if we could send relatively little to get him. The kind of offer the Flames aren't likely to take. While he isn't ideal, and his contract sucks for the moment, he'd be an upgrade to our top 4 and allows us to play the Schultzs together, so we can ease Justin in as much as possible.

His contract is only for another 2 years(a time period where we have a fair amount of room). And if we were to get him now, we'd stand a decent chance of re-signing him to a more reasonable 4ish M contract afterwards. Bouwmeester is low offense, solid defense, big minute d-man who is overpaid by about 2.8M. But he's still young enough to fit into our team, and can be a useful player. Not the perfect D-man for us, but a good enough alternative to not overly affect our chances of winning, so long as we're focusing on our strengths(firepower). Right now, I'll take good enough over perfect, so long as it help the kids get a taste of making a late push for the playoffs.

Old
07-10-2012, 01:02 AM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I have zero interest in Bouwmeester. Yes he can play minutes, but unless he's ready to take a big time drop in pay at the end of his deal to stay close to home, I see no reason to take on his contract. And if we do we had better not be giving up much of substance. I'd rather get someone that doesn't have the stink of a Flame on them.
I don't want anything to do with Bouwmeester and his contract either, but Stauffer is all over this which is worrying imo.

Old
07-10-2012, 01:05 AM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
I don't want anything to do with Bouwmeester and his contract either, but Stauffer is all over this which is worrying imo.
His contract is hardly an issue with our current cap situation.

I'd gladly take him for the right price.

Old
07-10-2012, 01:06 AM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I would be fine with Bouw if we could send relatively little to get him. The kind of offer the Flames aren't likely to take. While he isn't ideal, and his contract sucks for the moment, he'd be an upgrade to our top 4 and allows us to play the Schultzs together, so we can ease Justin in as much as possible.

His contract is only for another 2 years(a time period where we have a fair amount of room). And if we were to get him now, we'd stand a decent chance of re-signing him to a more reasonable 4ish M contract afterwards. Bouwmeester is low offense, solid defense, big minute d-man who is overpaid by about 2.8M. But he's still young enough to fit into our team, and can be a useful player. Not the perfect D-man for us, but a good enough alternative to not overly affect our chances of winning, so long as we're focusing on our strengths(firepower). Right now, I'll take good enough over perfect, so long as it help the kids get a taste of making a late push for the playoffs.
Winning is overrated around here apparently, too many people waiting for the perfect solution to our defensive problems.

It's easier to turn down potential upgrades, let the kids rack up another lottery season of failure, and either wait for a prospect to make the team or hold out for the next Pronger trade.

This team needs to start winning, NOW. Moving up a spot or two is not enough, and another lottery finish would be more depressing than the rest, other than the fact we add another talented top 5 pick.

At this point I'm willing to add anyone to upgrade our top 4, assuming they aren't terrible lockerroom guys that will rub off poorly on the kids and they come at a reasonable price.

Old
07-10-2012, 01:16 AM
OILFAN #81

Doan could be off to San Jose:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2012...-sharks/11076/

Judging by Bross’s words tonight, Doan may have most interest in signing with the San Jose Sharks. In an email interview with San Jose Mercury News Sharks beat writer David Pollock, Bross said there is “strong mutual interest” between Doan and the Sharks, and that a decision to sign could come Tuesday.

Old
07-10-2012, 01:23 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILFAN #81 View Post
Doan could be off to San Jose:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2012...-sharks/11076/

Judging by Bross’s words tonight, Doan may have most interest in signing with the San Jose Sharks. In an email interview with San Jose Mercury News Sharks beat writer David Pollock, Bross said there is “strong mutual interest” between Doan and the Sharks, and that a decision to sign could come Tuesday.
I thought he wanted to play for a contender.

Old
07-10-2012, 01:29 AM
OILFAN #81

That "Tracy" person tweeted:

Tracy ‏@TreenasOil

Omark considering the KHL, Has a contract offer from Dynamo APG

Old
07-10-2012, 01:53 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Winning is overrated around here apparently, too many people waiting for the perfect solution to our defensive problems.

It's easier to turn down potential upgrades, let the kids rack up another lottery season of failure, and either wait for a prospect to make the team or hold out for the next Pronger trade.

This team needs to start winning, NOW. Moving up a spot or two is not enough, and another lottery finish would be more depressing than the rest, other than the fact we add another talented top 5 pick.

At this point I'm willing to add anyone to upgrade our top 4, assuming they aren't terrible lockerroom guys that will rub off poorly on the kids and they come at a reasonable price.
You admit in a previous post you don't know whose out there or who else might be available. Unfortunately, you jump from there to an assumption that winning is overrated because some posters (myself included) don't like Bouwmeester. It's not NHL 12, the guy has a no trade contract, has not shown interest in playing in his hometown and his General Manager has a limited shelf life to live out a retool approach to franchise building with old, expensive, and mediocre talent.

It's mid July. Not September 30. You've already admitted you don't know who or what is out there for prospective trade options. There's certainly no certainty either Bouwmeester or Feaster agree with you that Edmonton is the perfect landing spot.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:00 AM
GO99
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 355
I honestly don't even think about Omark anymore. I hope Doan goes to SJ.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:08 AM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
His contract is hardly an issue with our current cap situation.

I'd gladly take him for the right price.
We need to give Smid, Hall and Eberle new deals during the next year and we still have to resign Gagner and give Yakupov his elc. We probably have less wiggle room than some imagine with respect to the cap although I guess we could move a body or two out. Contract aside I would rather see us target a more physical type than Bouwmeester.

Last edited by gooilgo: 07-10-2012 at 02:19 AM.
Old
07-10-2012, 02:15 AM
LeftWinger44

If Tambo is stupid enough to trade for Bouwmeester, prepare to be out of the playoffs at least another two seasons folks. Jaybo is a career loser and this team has had enough losers already (POS, Pouliot, JFJunk, Nilsson, Horcoff, Lubo, post-lockout Moreau, etc.) We need guys who have proven they can win and get teams deep into the playoffs.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:21 AM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines View Post
You admit in a previous post you don't know whose out there or who else might be available. Unfortunately, you jump from there to an assumption that winning is overrated because some posters (myself included) don't like Bouwmeester. It's not NHL 12, the guy has a no trade contract, has not shown interest in playing in his hometown and his General Manager has a limited shelf life to live out a retool approach to franchise building with old, expensive, and mediocre talent.

It's mid July. Not September 30. You've already admitted you don't know who or what is out there for prospective trade options. There's certainly no certainty either Bouwmeester or Feaster agree with you that Edmonton is the perfect landing spot.
Do I need to count how many people in the last two pages alone have said they aren't interested in Jaybo regardless of anything you wrote above?

Of course I admit to not knowing who is available, anyone who doesn't is kidding themselves, but I'm also realistic.

Every trade option we discuss is taken with a grain of salt and accompanying assumptions that both teams are interested, the player will waive, etc, or else there would never be any speculation in the first place.

I've seen what has happened over the last 3 years, and it's safe to say I'm more than skeptical that in the next 2 months tambo is going to find an option better than Jaybo that won't cost us an arm and a leg.

I'd love it he did, but is it realistic? Do we really think we are getting a top 30 dman? Or even better?

I've simply set my sights lower and want to get better, and if people would rather go into next season with our current roster instead of adding a solid top 2-3 guy for what is rumored to be an reasonable asking price, then IMO they aren't as interested in winning as we should be IMO.

My stance is this:

1. We need a top 4 dman, now.
2. Waiting another year for Klefbom or hoping Whitney is healthy is a huge mistake.
3. Jaybo makes us better, and could be potentially had for relatively cheap.
4. This team need to start winning this year, another lottery finish will be deflating for our young players.

Of course some trade options may not waive to come here, may have too high asking prices, etc., but I'm not really talking about that, I'm worried about the people that would rather go into next year with our defense currently instead of adding a guy LIKE Jaybo because he might be soft or overrated offensively.

I'll take an upgrade any way I can get it right now if it means winning more hockey games, and then if we can upgrade further at the expense of a Jaybo type then move him along or walk later.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:25 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Omark and a 2nd for Bouwmeester. That'd be my only offer.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:25 AM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftWinger44 View Post
If Tambo is stupid enough to trade for Bouwmeester, prepare to be out of the playoffs at least another two seasons folks. Jaybo is a career loser and this team has had enough losers already (POS, Pouliot, JFJunk, Nilsson, Horcoff, Lubo, post-lockout Moreau, etc.) We need guys who have proven they can win and get teams deep into the playoffs.
Problem is teams don't trade top pairing dmen that are proven winners and incredible leaders, and if they do they will cost a price we would never pay.

Only other way to get a guy like that is to pay them 100 million, but even then you're guaranteed to get a winner, just a solid defender.

There are plenty of great players, at all positions, that could make the Oilers better that have never won anything in their careers.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:33 AM
LeftWinger44

Quote:
Problem is teams don't trade top pairing dmen that are proven winners and incredible leaders, and if they do they will cost a price we would never pay.

Only other way to get a guy like that is to pay them 100 million, but even then you're guaranteed to get a winner, just a solid defender.

There are plenty of great players, at all positions, that could make the Oilers better that have never won anything in their careers.
And Bouwmeester is not that guy. A player who has never made the playoffs, makes 6.6 million a season, and doesn't even want to play in his hometown! Not to mention, we would have to overpay, since this is a trade with the Flames we are talking about. What is people's fixation on Jaybo based on anyway? He has done nothing to prove he can live up to that contract he signed with Calgary.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:07 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 50
Quote:
And Bouwmeester is not that guy. A player who has never made the playoffs, makes 6.6 million a season, and doesn't even want to play in his hometown! Not to mention, we would have to overpay, since this is a trade with the Flames we are talking about. What is people's fixation on Jaybo based on anyway? He has done nothing to prove he can live up to that contract he signed with Calgary.
I think him signing with the Calgary Flames doomed him to being contemptously underrated by Oilers and Canucks fans who just want to sneer at Calgary because it's Calgary.

Jay Bouwmeester is a guy who can play 25 minutes a night and give you good minutes. He's CAPABLE of a 10-30-40 season, he's fast, he's big, he doesn't tire and he moves pucks. He's a very good defenseman. I'll say this, too, if Calgary moves him - we will win at least four games against Calgary next season, maybe all of them.

If he had more heart, he could be the BEST defenseman. Unfortunately for him, he doesn't seem to have much fire and slides nicely into that low-event slot. He's probably overpaid by a million, but at two more years on his deal, I sure as hell wouldn't trade him for anything less than value either.

He was a Red Wings fan growing up. They need him, they'll get him, I'm sure of it.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:11 AM
Angry Boys

Quote:
I agree with this. Aside from the obvious divisional issues, Calgary are a poor trading partner for the Oilers. They are not particularly deep defensively .

On the other hand, if Doan does indeed leave Phoenix , the Coyotes will be desperate for any spare top 6 forwards. As a team that has plenty of quality defenseman , they are a much better trading partner for the Oil.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:39 AM
Toydarian

I really hope Paajarvi can take the next step and become a solid contributor this year. Having him get close to 20 goals and 40 points would really solidify the Oilers top-6.

Old
07-10-2012, 04:04 AM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
I really hope Paajarvi can take the next step and become a solid contributor this year. Having him get close to 20 goals and 40 points would really solidify the Oilers top-6.
I hope he plays in OKC this year where he belongs

Old
07-10-2012, 04:06 AM
Soundwave

Just sign Roszival already and get on with it. We should've scooped up Taylor Pyatt too as he's an upgrade on Hordichuk.

Old
07-10-2012, 04:16 AM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Just sign Roszival already and get on with it. We should've scooped up Taylor Pyatt too as he's an upgrade on Hordichuk.
Pyatt and Hordi have completely different roles though.

Old
07-10-2012, 04:23 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
Omark and a 2nd for Bouwmeester. That'd be my only offer.
I know jay-bo hasn't been exactly a great fit for the flames yet but their fans would go pretty berserk on you if you offered them that. He needs to have his time limited a bit and he could be good as gold.

07-10-2012, 04:28 AM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I know jay-bo hasn't been exactly a great fit for the flames yet but their fans would go pretty berserk on you if you offered them that. He needs to have his time limited a bit and he could be good as gold.
I'm guessing that think the poster was stating that he isn't impressed with Bouwmeester, hence the tongue-in-cheek offer.

Old
07-10-2012, 04:33 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafrelio View Post
This, LOL, so succinctly put. Not to mention I don't want to have to watch whoever they get from us turn out to be the best player in the deal.
Which could very well happen. Not to mention the part that IMO is being overlooked, the Oilers helping the Flames' cap situation. Why would we want to help Feaster's monkey ass? Let him enjoy his 11 NMC's or whatever the hell it is.

Quote:
Sadly, teams don't give away #2 dmen unless they're struggling, overpaid, or both.

We are either stuck going into next year with a bottom 10 defense or we take a cheap upgrade to improve our top 4, and there are only a few options IMO for that plan.
I'd rather pass on Bouw, look at a cheaper option and go with it. Our D with another guy that can play top 4 minutes as an insurance policy really wouldn't be that bad. Not great by any means, but once J. Schultz hits his stride things will be looking much rosier than what most are anticipating seeing next season IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
He was a Red Wings fan growing up. They need him, they'll get him, I'm sure of it.
Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner.