HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Opening Night Predictions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-12-2012, 06:37 PM
  #26
Rizzo90
Registered User
 
Rizzo90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
That's part of the beauty of this team is the three lines are somewhat interchangeable as far as ice time goes, though I would imagine the Bashie line will still be the "top" line as those two play the hardest minutes.

I am curious as to who plays on the left with the duo of Bashie. Could end up being Schwartz.
this x1,000


I also predict two "Holy Jumpin's" & @ least three different variations on "why wouldn't he" and one "thanks for comin" & "nine of hearts" each




Also praying to all that I know is holy, for a replacement catch phrase for "hockey sense"

Rizzo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 06:44 PM
  #27
jarmoismyhero
Registered User
 
jarmoismyhero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 2,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
Obviously subject to change as the Blues could still pick up a free agent or make a trade, but based on Armstrong's latest comments it sounds like he's not afraid to roll with what we have.

My prediction:

McDonald-Backes-Oshie
Perron-Berglund-Tarasenko
D'Agostini-Steen-Stewart
Sobotka-Nichol-Reaves/Langs

Pietrangelo-Polak
Jackman-Shattenkirk
Russell-Cole

Halak
McDonald-Backes-Oshie
Perron-Berglund-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Steen-Stewart
Sobotka-Nichol-Reaves

trade-AP
Jackman-Shattenkirk
Cole-Polak


Last edited by jarmoismyhero: 07-12-2012 at 06:53 PM.
jarmoismyhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:30 PM
  #28
bishop12
Ovyously
 
bishop12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,633
vCash: 500
Why is everyone so keen on tarasenko to make it, but not Schwartz?

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:31 PM
  #29
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 21,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
Why is everyone so keen on tarasenko to make it, but not Schwartz?
Tarasenko has been guaranteed a spot, Schwartz has not.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:33 PM
  #30
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound
 
Celtic Note's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 8,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
Why is everyone so keen on tarasenko to make it, but not Schwartz?
3 Reasons

1. Army has implied that Tarasenko will be in the NHL, unless there are drastic circumstances.

2. Tarasenko already has an NHL body, Schwartz still has some work to do.

3. Tarasenko has played against much better competition.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 06:32 PM
  #31
stlweir
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,516
vCash: 500
Because of the net we can see the Tank highlights and see him play in the world juniors. For the umpteenth time I will describe Tarasenko as Oshie with speed which makes him a superior scoring threat. It wouldn't surprise me if he leads the team in scoring but certainly in the top 6 in goals scored. He captained the WJC team, he averaged almost a point a game with limited ice time this past season in the KHL. Everything says this kid is the real deal. Now he has to prove it.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:17 PM
  #32
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 7,562
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Tarasenko has been guaranteed a spot, Schwartz has not.
I'm not sure how true this is. I do believe Tarasenko will certainly merit a spot.

Tarasenko has been playing in a man's professional league at probably above the AHL level for the past 4 years and is a top performer in that league in terms of scoring. He's got the body for the NHL (which is not to say he won't grow stronger). Frankly, other than transitioning to the speed of the NHL game (which every player has to do) and the smaller ice surface, he's ready.

Schwartz still needs to improve his physical strength to play in the NHL fulltime. He doesn't lack for skill or sense, and there's every chance he'll be an injury call-up for a skilled line this season. And there's nothing to say that he can't play well enough to force the team to keep him in the line-up, although I highly doubt they do anything but give him big minutes in Peoria.

Reading between the lines, I think the Blues felt his development was much better served getting out of college and into a pro league (the AHL). If this were 5 or 6 seasons ago, he'd be in the Blues line-up almost certainly. But the depth and skill the Blues have now gives the team the luxury of bringing him along more slowly. Remember Pietrangelo's developmental path? That paid off handsomely.

All that said, its pretty easy to envision both players being full-time NHL players by season's end. But if I had to bet, I would say Schwartz sticks with the Blues after one AHL season. Tarasenko may not have been told he has a spot in so many words, but he's proved a lot more in his career to this point to say that he's NHL ready. The bigger question for him will be whether he can earn a top 6 spot. That will have more to do with his ability to integrate with his linemates and be consistent on defense.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:30 PM
  #33
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 21,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I'm not sure how true this is. I do believe Tarasenko will certainly merit a spot.

Tarasenko has been playing in a man's professional league at probably above the AHL level for the past 4 years and is a top performer in that league in terms of scoring. He's got the body for the NHL (which is not to say he won't grow stronger). Frankly, other than transitioning to the speed of the NHL game (which every player has to do) and the smaller ice surface, he's ready.

Schwartz still needs to improve his physical strength to play in the NHL fulltime. He doesn't lack for skill or sense, and there's every chance he'll be an injury call-up for a skilled line this season. And there's nothing to say that he can't play well enough to force the team to keep him in the line-up, although I highly doubt they do anything but give him big minutes in Peoria.

Reading between the lines, I think the Blues felt his development was much better served getting out of college and into a pro league (the AHL). If this were 5 or 6 seasons ago, he'd be in the Blues line-up almost certainly. But the depth and skill the Blues have now gives the team the luxury of bringing him along more slowly. Remember Pietrangelo's developmental path? That paid off handsomely.

All that said, its pretty easy to envision both players being full-time NHL players by season's end. But if I had to bet, I would say Schwartz sticks with the Blues after one AHL season. Tarasenko may not have been told he has a spot in so many words, but he's proved a lot more in his career to this point to say that he's NHL ready. The bigger question for him will be whether he can earn a top 6 spot. That will have more to do with his ability to integrate with his linemates and be consistent on defense.
Armstrong said before that signed him that if they signed him, it won't be for him to play in Peoria.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:37 PM
  #34
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 7,562
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Armstrong said before that signed him that if they signed him, it won't be for him to play in Peoria.
Maybe its just a semantics argument, but I don't think this is the same as telling Tarasenko he's got a spot on the team. There are also quotes where he's said that Vlad will have to beat someone out of their spot in the line-up.

Bottom line, I think we all know that he will, so whatever Armstrong told him....I think its just academic. I just personally don't believe this front office operates that way. I think they treat the players pretty fairly, and with no favorites (at least in contrast to some organizations). I also think Vlad knows he is good enough to win a spot on his own merit.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:37 PM
  #35
BlueDream
Registered User
 
BlueDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 6,996
vCash: 500
No point in arguing about this. Whether you want to admit it or not Tarasenko is a lock to be on the opening night roster. No chance he goes to Peoria unless he comes to camp 30 pounds overweight and literally has the worst training camp you could ever imagine... And that won't happen.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:53 AM
  #36
Kshahdoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 2,976
vCash: 500
I would rather prefer to know when this opening night will happen...

Kshahdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:01 AM
  #37
kimzey59
Registered User
 
kimzey59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 3,630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
Since we have apparently expressed interest in Shane Doan, where do you see him fitting in a lineup here?
Put McDonald back at center and give him Doan and Stewart as his protection(sort of like the Tkachuk-Demitra-Mellanby line from way back when).
Steen gets the LW spot on the Backes line.

Steen Backes Oshie(Hitch get's his shutdown line back)
Perron Berglund Tarasenko(I think we all know Hitch is quietly planning on having these 3 together given his "put Tarasenko with players who can handle the puck like he does" comment; should be a line with decent chemistry as well)
Doan McDonald Stewart(everybody gets to see that "playmaking center" they've been screaming for)
Sobotka Nichol Langenbrunner(I think we all know this is the planned 4th line for next year with Reaves getting the occasional game to spell Lang's)

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:09 AM
  #38
ZaphodBeeblebrox
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 33
vCash: 500
Wow, Shane Doan? I didn't realize the Blues had interest in him.

He would be a perfect veteran presence for this team in my opinion.

ZaphodBeeblebrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:40 PM
  #39
Lifetimebluesfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 89
vCash: 500
I'm sticking with what I said on page one as far as the forwards go, but I'm changing up the defense a little..
Trade dags, cole, and draft pick to BUF for regehr

Regehr-Petro
Jackman-Shattenkirk
Russel-Polak
(woywitka)

Lifetimebluesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:06 PM
  #40
Bluezfan65
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 22
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifetimebluesfan View Post
I'm sticking with what I said on page one as far as the forwards go, but I'm changing up the defense a little..
Trade dags, cole, and draft pick to BUF for regehr

Regehr-Petro
Jackman-Shattenkirk
Russel-Polak
(woywitka)
Regehr is on the last year of a 4.02m cap hit with a nmc. Calgary had to talk up Buffalo last summer to get him to waive. Cole is on the last year of his elc.? Stat wise Regehr hasn't much offensive upside. I guess I am just wondering your insight on him

Bluezfan65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:22 PM
  #41
Lifetimebluesfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 89
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluezfan65 View Post
Regehr is on the last year of a 4.02m cap hit with a nmc. Calgary had to talk up Buffalo last summer to get him to waive. Cole is on the last year of his elc.? Stat wise Regehr hasn't much offensive upside. I guess I am just wondering your insight on him
I could be wrong, but I thought what the blues need is a big, physical, defensive dman that can play along side petro, wouldn't regehr be a possibility?

Lifetimebluesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:39 PM
  #42
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 21,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifetimebluesfan View Post
I could be wrong, but I thought what the blues need is a big, physical, defensive dman that can play along side petro, wouldn't regehr be a possibility?
Regehr is way past his prime and Cole would be a better option. It's also been said that they are looking for a shooting defenseman. They only defensemen that we know we have been after were Garrison and Carle. We were probably interested in Bouwmeester as well. Regehr does not match any of those players.


Last edited by bleedblue1223: 07-18-2012 at 02:45 PM.
bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:54 PM
  #43
Lifetimebluesfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 89
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Regehr is way past his prime and Cole would be a better option. It's also been said that they are looking for a shooting defenseman. They only defensemen that we know we have been after were Garrison and Carle. We were probably interested in Bouwmeester as well. Regehr does not match any of those players.
That makes more sence, thank you.

Lifetimebluesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 03:45 PM
  #44
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME
 
STLBLUES44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,370
vCash: 500
McDonald Backes Oshie
Perron Berglund Tank
Steen Schwartz stew/dags
Sobotka Nichol. Reaves

Russell Petro
Jax Shatty
Cole Polak

That's until cole proves he can play top minutes or we make a deal. From russells play last season and in the playoffs he could be a solid option and play the 2nd PP unit. If schwartz can prove he's the real deal and play defensively and distribute the puck to steen and Stewart or dags, he could be a great option as the 3rd line center and a part on the 2nd PP unit. Im pretty sure he was a center for Canada in the last two world junior tourneys. That leaves guys like langenbrunner and porter in the press box barring injuries.

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:08 PM
  #45
geno4mvp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 25
vCash: 500
Any chance of Chris Porter making this team?

geno4mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:14 PM
  #46
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 21,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by geno4mvp View Post
Any chance of Chris Porter making this team?
Yeah. He played really well last season, but numbers will be against him. I like him because he can play 3rd/4th line minutes, instead of just 4th line. Not a lock, but will definitely have a pretty good chance.

I could see Schwartz starting in Peoria and Porter and Reaves being the extras.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:15 PM
  #47
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME
 
STLBLUES44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by geno4mvp View Post
Any chance of Chris Porter making this team?
Most likely not without injuries. He's a guy we fill in on the 3rd or 4th line when there's an injury.

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:53 PM
  #48
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 7,562
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by geno4mvp View Post
Any chance of Chris Porter making this team?
I think his chances are actually pretty good, but it would be as an extra healthy scratch guy until injuries occur. I don't think he's competing with Schwartz, who is fighting for a spot in the top 9 (top 6) and would benefit from seasoning in the AHL. With Crombeen gone, Porter has a decent chance.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:57 PM
  #49
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME
 
STLBLUES44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,370
vCash: 500
I just don't see him beating out reaves or langenbrunner but he's definitely not a liability when he's on the ice.

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:28 PM
  #50
kimzey59
Registered User
 
kimzey59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 3,630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBLUES44 View Post
McDonald Backes Oshie
Perron Berglund Tank
Steen Schwartz stew/dags
Sobotka Nichol. Reaves

Russell Petro
Jax Shatty
Cole Polak

That's until cole proves he can play top minutes or we make a deal. From russells play last season and in the playoffs he could be a solid option and play the 2nd PP unit. If schwartz can prove he's the real deal and play defensively and distribute the puck to steen and Stewart or dags, he could be a great option as the 3rd line center and a part on the 2nd PP unit. Im pretty sure he was a center for Canada in the last two world junior tourneys. That leaves guys like langenbrunner and porter in the press box barring injuries.
We did not re-sign Langenbrunner to put him in the Box.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.