HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

RFA Taboo: NBA vs. NHL

Old
07-08-2012, 10:43 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
The NBA cap system is total crap. I mean in the NBA a large "expiring" contract is a huge commodity, since most teams are over the cap and thus need to match contracts in a trade. But I do think the NHL can still learn from it and implement the same 6 year max term contract limit.
I thought in the NBA teams can spend over the salary cap and pay a luxury tax if they choose to do that. I know it's something the Knicks have done for a long time.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:50 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
NBA's salary cap is a joke... The RFA system has no risk to it.. And there's no price to pay.
Exactly the the nba is a joke

King Woodballs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:58 PM
AmazingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gourmet View Post
The purpose of an RFA system is to enable teams to retain their talent. The compensation prevents large market teams from offering ridiculous contracts to young talent without any consequences, and it ensures that for the most part teams are able to improve after years of drafting near the top.

If there was no compensation in the NHL then Shea Weber would have left Nashville years ago.
NBA teams are allowed to exceed the salary cap to sign their own players, which helps a lot, which is why you see sign-and-trades in the NBA and not in the NHL.

AmazingNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:56 PM
puckyeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax00 View Post
Houston Rockets are just ****ing crazy.
I know you're talking about the Jeremy Lin offer, right?

Lin was a member of the Warriors and the Warriors wanted to get DeAndre Jordan from the Clippers and offered him 4/43 and he signed that. BUT, in order to clear room for Deandre, they had to get rid of Lin. The Clippers matched Golden State's offer so GS ended up with Nada. Jordan is a work in progress, ill bet the Clippers wish they would have just let GS have Jordan, he's not worth the money they're paying him. (but, DJ is Blake's best friend, so they didnt want to upset Blake, so they matched the GS offer is what i'm thinking)

puckyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:58 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
If you are referring to NHL offer sheets, I highly doubt that. With the way Canada covers the NHL, if offer sheets were even a possibility (let alone a reality), the media would be publicizing it.
It doesn't matter how "Canada covers the NHL." If the player, his agent, or one of the two GMs involved doesn't tell the media, no one knows. If an offer sheet goes unsigned, it does no one any good to let the media know, so outside of those 4 or so people, no one ever knows.

The reason offer sheets aren't more frequently successful is that they're self defeating. If you offer sheet a player, their controlling team has the opportunity to match. That means if you want to sign the player away, you need to offer more money than the controlling team is willing to match. On top of this, you also have to give up draft picks (which you'd need to have the right ones in the first place) to acquire the asset. Most of the time it just works out better to try make a trade with the team for slightly greater than the offer sheet compensation so you can sign the player at a more reasonable salary.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:06 AM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckyeah View Post
I know you're talking about the Jeremy Lin offer, right?

Lin was a member of the Warriors and the Warriors wanted to get DeAndre Jordan from the Clippers and offered him 4/43 and he signed that. BUT, in order to clear room for Deandre, they had to get rid of Lin. The Clippers matched Golden State's offer so GS ended up with Nada. Jordan is a work in progress, ill bet the Clippers wish they would have just let GS have Jordan, he's not worth the money they're paying him. (but, DJ is Blake's best friend, so they didnt want to upset Blake, so they matched the GS offer is what i'm thinking)
And the Asik offer sheet. And what they did on draft day. Crazy offseason for those guys.

I like the Bird year rule in the NBA though. Gives small market teams a chance to keep their own guys (even if that's now why it was initially instituted).

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote