HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Doan or Selanne?

View Poll Results: Who's more likely to sign in Winnipeg?
Shane Doan 10 10.75%
Teemu Selanne 50 53.76%
Neither 33 35.48%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Aries56

vCash: 500
Don't believe for a second either would come to Winnipeg. If I had to choose one, it would be Selanne hands down.

After Doan dissed Winnipeg and said he didn't want to come back (when there was talks of the Coyotes moving) I lost a lot of respect for him. The whining he did about the ref's after the Coyotes got knocked out was pretty bad too. Would hate to see a Winnipeg player do that.

With that said.... saw this tweet not long ago that pertains to this thread.

Quote:
Trade Breaker ‏@NHLTradesFirst

Shane Doan update: He is looking for at least a 2 year deal. #Jets #Coyotes #Bruins #Kings #Avalanche all in the mix.

Aries56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:42 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

I would take both. No prospects would be lost. Guys who should be in the minors would stay there. The team has loads of cap space. Doan has an easy 2 years left in him. Selanne is going one year at a time and that suits me just fine.

Hollywood3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:49 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries56 View Post
Don't believe for a second either would come to Winnipeg. If I had to choose one, it would be Selanne hands down.

After Doan dissed Winnipeg and said he didn't want to come back (when there was talks of the Coyotes moving) I lost a lot of respect for him. The whining he did about the ref's after the Coyotes got knocked out was pretty bad too. Would hate to see a Winnipeg player do that.

Doan didn't bash Winnipeg, he said he wouldn't want to come here because he would be moving his family, etc etc. I wouldn't mind him back here, we hold no grudges obviously as he got a standing ovation at the game the Coyotes played here.

I'd say Phoenix and LA are the front runners. LA to win, Phoenix for family reasons. LA would have him close to his family too, a la Steve Nash choosing the Lakers over Toronto.

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 02:21 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersUlfBobby View Post
wholy crap. I just voted on this. Figured others would too, but it turns out I am the only one who voted neither. Not that I wouldn't like to see either on the team, it's just the reality that it's very unlikely that the Jets could snare either one. Teemu loves Anaheim too much and Doan loves the desert too much for either to move away from their respective situations.
The neither option was late to the party. I would have voted neither as well if that option were there originally. As much as both could be useful contributors, I also don't feel it's likely either would sign.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 02:45 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
The neither option was late to the party. I would have voted neither as well if that option were there originally. As much as both could be useful contributors, I also don't feel it's likely either would sign.
That's ok, I don't think that was the question

07-08-2012, 05:37 PM
TroubaFan1

Teemu

TroubaFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:18 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Sigh, I have to apologise to the OP. I really need to read a little better before doing things. I see that the actual question was more likely, which means I should not have added the neither option in the poll.

My answer is still Teemu, but for different reasons.

Apologies to Paradise.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:32 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries56 View Post

I call BS on the Jets being in the mix. Doan only plays where palm trees grow. If Phoenix falls through, he's going to LA or Anaheim. Book it.

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 07:10 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

BRING EM BOTH HOME won't happen but I'd LOVE to see it

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:25 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Sigh, I have to apologise to the OP. I really need to read a little better before doing things. I see that the actual question was more likely, which means I should not have added the neither option in the poll.

My answer is still Teemu, but for different reasons.

Apologies to Paradise.
NP buddy. I was kinda bored when I made the poll anyways. I just see so much talk about Teemu and Doan around here that I thought I'd like to get posters opinions on the two.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:23 AM
sully1410

Teemu.

He doesn't owe this city a damn thing to want to retire a Jet or anything...but it would be cool. Selanne, despite having not played here in 15-16yrs is still a local hero. That's pretty cool.

When he retires, I think it would be kind of cool forbid to retire a number 13 jets jersey, as well as bring back those other jerseys tgst Phoenix stole.

But that's a pipe dream that is doubtful to happen.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:42 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Doan, though he wants to go to a serious contender. Selanne has said since 07 that it's Anaheim or nowhere.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:55 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I'd rather see Selanne, but Dosn is more realistic.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Jets
Resident Sieve

considering Teemu already said he would be back next year, isn't a little strange that he hasn't stepped right in and signed back on with the ducks? Could it be because he and his family are mulling over the possibility of playing in Winnipeg? We can only hope...

Jets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:24 PM
hockeyarena

vCash: 1503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets View Post
considering Teemu already said he would be back next year, isn't a little strange that he hasn't stepped right in and signed back on with the ducks? Could it be because he and his family are mulling over the possibility of playing in Winnipeg? We can only hope...
My thoughts exactly.

Just throwing this out there for the purpose of discussion, but why not throw a 1 year, $8 million offer at Teemu? Much like Vancouver with Sundin. Our team is going to barely make the cap floor anyway, and the revenue from Selanne jersey sales would be through the roof. Might not be as costly as it looks. Also sends a pretty clear message to future free agents that when players treat our city right we return the favour.

hockeyarena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:24 PM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsdude View Post
My thoughts exactly.

Just throwing this out there for the purpose of discussion, but why not throw a 1 year, $8 million offer at Teemu? Much like Vancouver with Sundin. Our team is going to barely make the cap floor anyway, and the revenue from Selanne jersey sales would be through the roof. Might not be as costly as it looks. Also sends a pretty clear message to future free agents that when players treat our city right we return the favour.
Selanne's not really a force at even-strength anymore. He's a PP scoring machine, but then again he's playing with Getzlaf and Perry. Is TNSE comfortable with a big overpayment? $8 million for maybe Wellwood's production? Doesn't sound like this team's style...

Gm0ney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Brian Cadle Fan

vCash: 167
Iwould hate to see Teemu come back, then have the usual suspects start ragging on him because he is no longer at his prime. I'd rather leave a happy memory in the past than have to put up with some of the ignorant comments I know would come when he turns out to not be the answer to all our woes.

Brian Cadle Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 03:11 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Provolone or Salami?

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 03:28 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsdude View Post
My thoughts exactly.

You do realize that TNSE only gets revenue if the jersey is bought at a retailer they own, right? If it's bought anywhere else they get 1/30th, hardly a consideration when signing a player.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
You do realize that TNSE only gets revenue if the jersey is bought at a retailer they own, right? If it's bought anywhere else they get 1/30th, hardly a consideration when signing a player.
There's a per-item licensing fee that Reebok and other manufacturers pay to the NHL for the rights to produce official merchandise. That revenue is shared among all the teams (actually I think there's a split where a portion goes into the Revenue Sharing fund specifically to help out the weaker teams that qualify, and the rest is divvied up evenly between the 30 teams). The money TNSE makes from sales of merchandise at Jets Gear stores is the same markup that River City makes when it sells any items. So they get a replica jersey from Reebok for $70 and sell it for $125, then Chipman lights a cigar with the $55 bill you just gave him. Also, I'm sure the markup on customization is similar to popcorn at a movie theatre.

Anyway, assuming Selanne sold an extra 10,000 customized jerseys - half at Jets Gear. Say 75% replica ($55 markup), 25% pro ($120 markup), plus a $50 markup for customization...carry the one...that could be worth close to $500,000 to TNSE through Jets Gear. The other 5000 jerseys would earn the jets maybe $1 each in shared licensing revenue...so $5000 (assuming a $35 licensing fee per jersey with $5 going to special shared revenue and $1 each to the 30 NHL franchises). This is all completely ballpark, figures pulled out of thin air. With those assumptive figures, they'd need to sell about 50,000 Selanne jerseys through Jets Gear to earn $5 million.

Gm0ney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 04:35 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Cadle Fan View Post
Iwould hate to see Teemu come back, then have the usual suspects start ragging on him because he is no longer at his prime. I'd rather leave a happy memory in the past than have to put up with some of the ignorant comments I know would come when he turns out to not be the answer to all our woes.
I don't think anyone expects that Selanne alone will save the team, what Selanne does do, in fact, gives a inaugural season feeling around the fans, where not making the playoffs sucks, but sucks less because there is something special about the season anyway.

That's the way I'd see a Selanne return.

Concordski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 04:38 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
There's a per-item licensing fee that Reebok and other manufacturers pay to the NHL for the rights to produce official merchandise. That revenue is shared among all the teams (actually I think there's a split where a portion goes into the Revenue Sharing fund specifically to help out the weaker teams that qualify, and the rest is divvied up evenly between the 30 teams). The money TNSE makes from sales of merchandise at Jets Gear stores is the same markup that River City makes when it sells any items. So they get a replica jersey from Reebok for $70 and sell it for $125, then Chipman lights a cigar with the $55 bill you just gave him. Also, I'm sure the markup on customization is similar to popcorn at a movie theatre.

Anyway, assuming Selanne sold an extra 10,000 customized jerseys - half at Jets Gear. Say 75% replica ($55 markup), 25% pro ($120 markup), plus a $50 markup for customization...carry the one...that could be worth close to $500,000 to TNSE through Jets Gear. The other 5000 jerseys would earn the jets maybe $1 each in shared licensing revenue...so $5000 (assuming a $35 licensing fee per jersey with $5 going to special shared revenue and $1 each to the 30 NHL franchises). This is all completely ballpark, figures pulled out of thin air. With those assumptive figures, they'd need to sell about 50,000 Selanne jerseys through Jets Gear to earn $5 million.
One of the pleasant suprises last year was sales at the jets stores. I hear they were doing over $100,000 in sales a day all December at the MTS centre alone leading up to Christmas. some estimates have their Jets gear store (MTS centre, Ice plex, St Vital Mall) sales (estimated) at well over 14 million with 200% to 300% blended mark up rates (all merch) pre labour costs. The margins in many other markets have been compressed by on line sales pressure but in the hot markets (Winnipeg) they are still fetching prime rates.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:01 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post

Mark up is substantial on jerseys, and your numbers are fair (based on my time in sports retail). I'm pretty sure though that you're agreeing that TNSE wouldn't be banking on recovering the monetary value of Teemu's contract through jersey sales.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 07:07 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Not word for word quotes but these things were said...

Why Selane hasn't signed yet (and won't sign here): I'll take it one year at a time. If I feel good with my offseason training I'll come back to Anaheim.

Why Doan hasn't signed yet (and won't sign here): if Coyotes stay at Glendale I'll re-sign here (PHO), if not I'm not planning on moving my family so this means I will want to play somewhere reasonably close by.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 07:09 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Not word for word quotes but...

Why Selane hasn't signed yet (and won't sign here): I'll take it one year at a time. If I feel good with my offseason training I'll come back to Anaheim.

Why Doan hasn't signed yet (and won't sign here): if Coyotes stay at Glendale I'll re-sign here, if not I'm not planning on moving my family so this means I will want to play somewhere reasonably close by
A Finnish paper pretty much confirmed that Selanne would play in the NHL next year, it's not like last year, where no one knew whether he was staying or not.

Concordski is offline   Reply With Quote