HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Beating the Reputation

Old
07-08-2012, 10:44 AM
StrongIslanders90

vCash: 500
Beating the Reputation

Interesting Article on NYI.com...

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.h...id=DL|NYI|home

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:54 AM
Sheva7

vCash: 463
Love it. Dougie Weight is such a stud.

It's an interesting group of young players. Just a matter of time...

Sheva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:35 AM
Riddick

thats one of the biggest problems with attracting UFA's imo(besides snow/wang not really trying that hard for any of them). The area where players stay and the colliseum is a dump. Why not put the players up at somewhere like the garden city hotel? it's a HUGE increase in quality over the ****ing marriot.

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:53 AM
E_Godard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
thats one of the biggest problems with attracting UFA's imo(besides snow/wang not really trying that hard for any of them). The area where players stay and the colliseum is a dump. Why not put the players up at somewhere like the garden city hotel? it's a HUGE increase in quality over the ****ing marriot.
They've done that. Where do you think Ryan Smyth stayed when he played here?

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 12:32 PM
BillD

The Long Island I remember had some fine living attractions. The North Shore has a feeling of elegant style and upscale comfort that well compensated athetes would enjoy. The small town atmosphereis just right,not too small to be unsophisticated, not too big to be overbearing. The beaches of both shores,fishing, boating, world class golf and country clubs, outstanding school systems, proximity to NYC, art, entertainment, other sports, and not that far from the mountains.
Taxes are high but these guys can carry the extra freight for all the unique benefits.
The missing links are a winning evironment and a decent building to play in.
LI is a great sell over other destinations if they can just fix those two things.

Last edited by BillD: 07-09-2012 at 02:57 PM.
BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 12:36 PM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

The part of the argument that is "thin" right now is the on-ice product.

As much as I am pleased with where we are today vs. where we were 5 seasons ago, it is still a difficult sell when you missed the playoffs by 14 points.

Once the playoffs were out of reach, my hope for the last handful of game was the team finish at or a game or 2 above NHL .500. It failed to do so unfortunately. I had felt a "winning season" would have changed the outlook of many players.

The trick now is can the team take a step and make it to the playoffs in 2012-13? THAT will be the key selling point for the Islanders. If they make it, suddenly the old barn may not be so bad because the chance for a player to win here increases.

The core group that Snow has built through the draft is the group that largely has to get us to that level before this becomes a viable destination. In short winning cures all.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Riddick

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Godard View Post
i meant for visiting teams. put them in the areas that showcase what you have to offer instead of a crappy hotel next door to a crappy arena in a crappy area.

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:36 PM
Jester9881

Quote:
i meant for visiting teams. put them in the areas that showcase what you have to offer instead of a crappy hotel next door to a crappy arena in a crappy area.
Our crappy owner owns the crappy hotel...

So, yeah... fat chance of that happening.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 02:15 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
I could be wrong, but I am pretty positive visiting teams make their own travel arrangements.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 03:21 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
I could be wrong, but I am pretty positive visiting teams make their own travel arrangements.
Shh! The drama is good. Wang is painted as a slumlord in this thread. ("no one will ever come here because of the area, not the operations" argument)

The GC Hotel does get visiting teams, I'm sure. But it's not cost effective if you can conveniently get to the practice rink on foot and save money and time. So I'm sure the one time luxury hotel is just fine by them. It's a Marriott. It's not the Waldorf, but it's nice enough for a one night stint.

But yeah, Wang doesn't handle every team's lodging. What sense would that make for teams like, I dunno, 29 others who have staff book air and lodging every game?

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 03:50 PM
Giuseppe Franco

I don't think Detroit is on many people's vacation lists yet they don't seem to have any problems getting free agents. It ain't the building folks.

Giuseppe Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:54 PM
On Edge

The building is a dump as we all know.

The building is one in a long list of problems that we may never really see addressed adequately.

As stated above, Detroit managed to build and maintain a great franchise were it proves time and time again, winning is the key to long term success here. If this teams managed to win, it would make it that much harder local govt and nimbys to turn back on and say "on your way" to Quebec, Brooklyn or where ever. Having a losing team makes it easier to slip out with fewer people giving a damn.

On Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 04:35 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Franco View Post
I don't think Detroit is on many people's vacation lists yet they don't seem to have any problems getting free agents. It ain't the building folks.
Detroit has great snack cakes.
We only have A&S bagels and pizza and italian food and Chinese food and beaches and a depressed economy nowhere near as bad as D-town.

Maybe, and I'm speculating, but maybe the players like the whole winny thingy.

(and it looks like many hate the coach in Detroit and are leaving FWIW)

Old
07-09-2012, 06:58 AM
MJF

Not advancing in the playoffs since 1993 is what keeps players from wanting to sign here. If you were a player's agent, would you reccommend the Islanders as a destination for your client?

MJF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 07:15 AM
Strome18

The biggest problem for the Isles is the building (or should I say the lack of a clear path going foward). Players like stability, the isles have been held hostage by SMG & TOH with regards to the building.
Players know this and so do agents. On top of that our team has not been the best in the league.

I think the issue is the uncertainty of the team and where it wil ultimately end up, period.

Strome18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 08:21 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Franco View Post
Detroit is a short drive from Windsor, which could actually be an attraction, especially for Canadian players.

But you're right. It's about organizational stability.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 08:59 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Godard View Post
the Garden City Hotel is NOT what it used to be. Place is kinda run down itself these days.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:22 AM
Knish Of The Crease

It's defiantly the product on the ice, over the actual location. Most of these guys grew up on a farm shoveling manuer so any place is better than that. I think it has a nice balance of suburban/city life and has a lot to offer. It's certainly a hell of a lot nicer than Detroit/Windsor, a dump & Buffalo.

I think the team is starting to be more recognizable with the young talent and might draw a few guys on the fence.

Knish Of The Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:47 AM
IslandersFan17

A lot of people here hit the nail on the head... WINNING is the key issue (or the lack there of).

The lack of a certain future does not help
The lack of proper and adequate facilities does not help.

However, at the end of the day if the Islanders started to produce on the ice players would be more attracted no doubt about it.

We can debate all day but when players come here they like it and tend to want to stay. I fore one thought when the league saw a rising star in the sport resign with the Islanders that there just might be something there. You could make the argument for Nash in Columbus. Yet, you throw in the Nabakov situation and you can see that there just might be something to this Long Island place.

End of the day the Islanders need to start winning and winning on a consistent basis.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:13 AM
MJF

And for anyone who thinks the arena keeps players from wanting to come here, Boston Garden was a dump by the 1990's and it never kept anyone from wanting to play for the Celtics or Bruins

Last edited by MJF: 07-09-2012 at 11:13 AM. Reason: typo
MJF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:56 AM
13th Floor

You know how i know this is a non-issue? Because this only comes up with the Islanders. Whatever you think of LI, it is certainly not the worst place in this country.

There's a common denominator: The Islanders. We suck. Blaming the city is like blaming a divorce on your kids.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:09 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post
And for anyone who thinks the arena keeps players from wanting to come here, Boston Garden was a dump by the 1990's and it never kept anyone from wanting to play for the Celtics or Bruins
Ranger players clothes smell like pee when the guys get changed to go home, FWIW.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:57 PM
TexMurphyPI

It's not the arena, but the arena's lease that keeps any top end UFA away now and even mid level guys as they now get longer term contracts of 5+ years. Not many guys will sign a 4+ year deal with a team that has 3 years left on their lease and no deal in place for after that. The player wouldn't know were he would be playing, somewhere still in NY, Quebec, NW USA (Seattle/Portland).

So the lease on top of the many already stated reasons (Losing/Owner/Management) means the Isles won't get too many top 6 F's and top 4 D's to sign here unless there is an issue with the player.

Maybe if they wanted to they can sign a guy like Semin if he was willing to sign short term 1 or 2 years at about 5-6mill, but even then I would have to think other teams would match that.

TexMurphyPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 02:48 PM
nyisles

Send a message via ICQ to nyisles Send a message via AIM to nyisles
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_Hockey_Dude View Post
It's not the arena, but the arena's lease that keeps any top end UFA away now and even mid level guys as they now get longer term contracts of 5+ years. Not many guys will sign a 4+ year deal with a team that has 3 years left on their lease and no deal in place for after that. The player wouldn't know were he would be playing, somewhere still in NY, Quebec, NW USA (Seattle/Portland).

So the lease on top of the many already stated reasons (Losing/Owner/Management) means the Isles won't get too many top 6 F's and top 4 D's to sign here unless there is an issue with the player.
Good post, have to agree with all of this. The Coliseum has been a dump for a long time, but this inability to sign decent free agents is a fairly recent development. Look back at the first few years after the lockout, when the team brought in decent veterans with gas left in the tank like Satan, Poti, Witt, Sillinger, Comrie, Fedotenko, Streit... compare that to the last few UFA periods, where they brought in the Reasoners, Konopkas, and Mottaus of the world.

The building alone ain't the problem. But combine the building, lack of certainty regarding the team's future, almost-complete lack of success over the past 20 years, and the apparent unwillingness of Wang to spend any real money and you have a recipe for the good UFAs to go any other direction they can. Even if the players aren't paying close attention to this team's various issues, you can be sure their agents are.

UFAs who can more or less choose their own destination (read: mid- and top-tier guys, not no-names or reclamation projects) are generally looking for a chance to win, money, and stability. Can anyone honestly say this team, in its current overall shape, offers any of those things?

07-09-2012, 03:38 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
Seriously, we're not courting free agents that grew up as part of the Park Avenue aristocracy or Rodeo Drive socialites here.

We're recruiting players who grew up in hole-in-the-wall ice buckets in Alberta, and run down post-Cold War Russia. All told even the most over-commercialized, strip-malled sections of the Island are better if not at least equal to what they've come from.

It's not the building that's the decrepit joke, it's the organization.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote