HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you think the Habs need a legit heavyweight enforcer?

Old
07-02-2012, 03:53 AM
WolfgangAmadeusEller*

vCash: 500
Do you think the Habs need a legit heavyweight enforcer?

I love Prust, Moen, White and Armstrong, but the Habs really need a heavy, or else Thornton and Lucic will continue to do anything they want as they have done since 2007.

WolfgangAmadeusEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:58 AM
LyricalLyricist

No. Don't see a need.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:59 AM
bentheprop

No..

bentheprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 04:07 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Mind View Post
I love Prust, Moen, White and Armstrong, but the Habs really need a heavy, or else Thornton and Lucic will continue to do anything they want as they have done since 2007.
yes George Laraque , sign the contract now .

League minimum like you said ,and let's go.

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 04:27 AM
Mike8

why sign only one? Shouldn't the team sign at least two, in order to respond to the B's having Lucic, Thornton and Chara?

I find it ironic how people call for fighters and grit in order to have the Canadiens be capable of 'setting the tone' of games, when the only reason people want these fighters is to respond to the Bruins or other tougher clubs. Really, these acquisitions are less about establishing a team identity than they are following other teams' identities.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 04:39 AM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
No.

Watch the way Washington played Boston in the playoffs this past season. They did not engage, played the game instead of being intimidated, and eliminated them. That's the way you bring down a bear, you don't poke it with a stick first.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 04:49 AM
bentheprop

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
No.

Watch the way Washington played Boston in the playoffs this past season. They did not engage, played the game instead of being intimidated, and eliminated them. That's the way you bring down a bear, you don't poke it with a stick first.
That is pretty much all that needs to be said for this thread.

bentheprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 04:57 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
No.

Agreed and not responding to their antics makes them nervous, Caps did a great job trolling them, especially Alzner.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 05:19 AM
Beendair Donedat

Yes. Everyone in the East is loading up on tough guys. We have some serious assets in Pacioretty, Price, Galchenyuk, Subban, etc... Insurance isn't going to hurt you. Clearly carrying no enforcer hasn't worked out that great for us lately either...

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 05:49 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Jesus, I wonder if people will ever start talking about signing skilled players.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:09 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Yes. Everyone in the East is loading up on tough guys. We have some serious assets in Pacioretty, Price, Galchenyuk, Subban, etc... Insurance isn't going to hurt you. Clearly carrying no enforcer hasn't worked out that great for us lately either...
You're not trying the 'having an enforcer stops your skill players being cheapshotted' argument again are you.

Because that never works out well....

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:10 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Mind View Post
Can you give me some examples of games against teams with enforcers where Lucic and Thornton played differently than they play against Montreal?

Old
07-02-2012, 06:13 AM
Corncob

We had the 'OMG everyone else in the East is signing goons so we should too' debate about this time last year. Then a few weeks into the season most of 'everyone else' waived said goons and sent them to the AHL.

So question should really be 'do Hamilton need a legit heavyweight enforcer?' Can't do any harm.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:17 AM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Jesus, I wonder if people will ever start talking about signing skilled players.
July 2 would be the time to panic. We had a brief discussion the other day about the bottom 6, you didn't think it was I need. I no longer think it's a need.

It's hard to blame Bergevin for the state Gauthier left the team in. There was a time when winger depth was this teams strong point. He pissed it all away by trading cammy and AK.

Give Bergevin some time. I expect one of Bourque/kaberle to no longer be with us and the need for a top 6 and bruising dman to be picked up. No need to criticize yet.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:21 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Everyone in the East is loading up...? Like who? New York? Ottawa?

I don't see any team loading up. In fact, I see teams getting softer.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:27 AM
LeMAD

No. No. No. Noooo. NO!

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:39 AM
FireBergevin
My Bergy's on fire

Better off trying to get an Evander Kane or a Chris Stewart.

FireBergevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:53 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBergevin View Post
Better off trying to get an Evander Kane or a Chris Stewart.
No thanks.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:00 AM
shutehinside

I don't think it's a bad idea to have muscle on the bench for some games to keep the other bench honest. Only issue I have is getting a guy who can actually play. Guys like Thornton, Neil etc aren't exactly heavy weights but they can play and fight. Getting a gut like that would be ideal but I wouldn't go after a meat head to play 4 min a night and spend 5 in the box for fighting for no reason.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:03 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

Parros was high on my wish list

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:13 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Unless I didn't see him signed with anybody, I wouldn't mind Darcy Hordichuk or Steve MacIntyre, Hordichuk can fight with anybody in the league (he didn't fight that much those last few seasons though), is a bit crazy and can still play decently enough not to be a liability on the ice. Big Mac, well, yeah, on the ice he'd be a liability if he played too much, but, this guy is a real heavyweight, and doesn't go by the code very often, a bit crazy too...

Mike8 : Really, these acquisitions are less about establishing a team identity than they are following other teams' identities.

I somehow agree, but I think that with Therrien, and the guys we got yesterday, we're actually changing our identity into a more aggressive one, so an acquisition like that would be logical.

But, in the end, I agree with CrimsonSkorpion, let's not poke the bear while he sleeps...

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:14 AM
charlie

Prust is exactly what management was looking for..... thankyou for getting him here for 4 years as well.
I love the 4 year contract....with him and Moen and Whitey, going to be fun to watch.
This will make life alot easier for our kids coming up.
Might just add Shultz to that list as well.......Oh and dont forget Tinordi.......Man we are going to be hard to play against in the future.
Once we get Gallagher, Kristo, Gally, Patches, Cole, Pleks, etc up front we will be fast as well.
Future looking good.

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:15 AM
Drive425

Overall team toughness is much more important then having a heavy weight.

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:15 AM
idk

The thing is Boston's tough guys - Chara and Lucic especially, but even Thornton - can also play a regular shift. Any of the enforcers that we might sign this off-season cannot. Even Staubitz (who is not a heavyweight by any stretch) is severely limited in the amount of ice time he should be allowed to play.

Better then to play them, as has been mentioned, the right way. Play hard, play without intimidation, return every hit threefold, but don't engage them when they want to fight. Two years ago - when the Bruins won the Cup, we were virtually even over the entire season (they had one more win than us after the season series and playoff series) and the games we won were the games where we played hockey and refused to engage them in their antics.

idk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:19 AM
charlie

Bears arent bullys......Bruins are... I want to see a turnaround...Its our turn to be the kid with the stick....But not to poke but to beat and beat with both ends.

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote