HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy (Part VIII): Still no decision with Doan

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2012, 10:29 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

vCash: 500
Jeff Halpern is a good PK and wins draws ... plus he's physical. I like this a lot.

Old
07-09-2012, 10:30 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Hey guys please take the Halpern talk to the Halpern thread now.

07-09-2012, 10:30 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
Jeff Halpern is a good PK and wins draws ... plus he's physical. I like this a lot.
He is an upgrade over Boyle for sure, but I believe he has injury issues.

Old
07-09-2012, 10:41 PM
CM PUNK

all these 4th line depth signing makes me thinking that slats thinks he is getting nash eventually and he's bringing in depth for when we move multiple guys in that deal

Old
07-09-2012, 10:54 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
all these 4th line depth signing makes me thinking that slats thinks he is getting nash eventually and he's bringing in depth for when we move multiple guys in that deal
Slats is getting depth because depth is what killed us in the playoffs. It has little to do with other moves he may or may not make.

Old
07-09-2012, 10:57 PM
Richter35

Called it in my earlier post on getting a bottom 6 PK guy (though I thought Slats would sign one with more offensive upside). As to those who were hating on Roszival, you really wouldn't sign him for around $2M for the 3rd pairing? Say what you want about him on the PP but the guy eats minutes and is pretty solid on D. slowing down but he's perfect for 15 mins a night and PK. Sauer will be out for some time yet and I don't want to see Bickel play 4 minutes a night.

Old
07-09-2012, 11:00 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Slats is getting depth because depth is what killed us in the playoffs. It has little to do with other moves he may or may not make.
having 12 4th liners isn't the kind of depth that we lacked

Old
07-09-2012, 11:00 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter35 View Post
Called it in my earlier post on getting a bottom 6 PK guy (though I thought Slats would sign one with more offensive upside). As to those who were hating on Roszival, you really wouldn't sign him for around $2M for the 3rd pairing? Say what you want about him on the PP but the guy eats minutes and is pretty solid on D. slowing down but he's perfect for 15 mins a night and PK. Sauer will be out for some time yet and I don't want to see Bickel play 4 minutes a night.
Rozsival's fine but there's no room on the d-end.

Plenty of depth already thrown in with some real talent in the top-three.

Staal, McD, Girardi. You also have MDZ who will be re-upped soon, Stralman, Bickel and potential camp fighters like Erixon and co. There's always a surprise guy. Erixon will make the team (should have made it last year - no room). Bickel will be the 7th.

Old
07-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
having 12 4th liners isn't the kind of depth that we lacked
Hyperbole much?

We didn't lack 4th liners in the playoffs last year, we lacked 3rd liners. With Kreider's presence, Dubinsky or Hagelin can shift down the depth chart and Anisimov can go back to center and also shift down the depth chart. That's 2/3 of a very good 3rd line and puts most of our 4th line caliber players where they belong. Pyatt can, grudgingly, make up the rest of the 3rd if he has to.

But we lost Prust, Mitchell and Fedotenko. Those players had to be replaced somewhere. Asham over Prust is a downgrade. Pyatt over Mitchell is a major upgrade. Halpern over Fedotenko is lateral, although Halpern's PK makes up for that part of losing Prust. I wasn't saying that the 4th line was the biggest problem, depth wise, but I was saying that we had need for 4th liners this offseason. We needed more, in quantity, in 4th liners than anywhere else in the lineup.

Old
07-09-2012, 11:25 PM
Salvage21

I think if Sather is willing to give up two roster players- the most likely candidates being Dubinsky, Hagelin, and Anisimov- then he better not give up JT Miller. I don't think there's any question that Miller is our closest NHL ready forward prospect. I love his willingness to do whatever it takes to make it to the NHL. He just shows a tremendous amount of character(I know, I know)- not to mention some pretty darn good skill. Admittedly, I haven't watched him play all that much, but I hope he could become that 'type' of impact second line player I expected Ethan Werek to become.

I'm going to throw out my version of a future "drool-worthy" line:
Kreider-Stepan-Miller

Old
07-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvage21 View Post
I think if Sather is willing to give up two roster players- the most likely candidates being Dubinsky, Hagelin, and Anisimov- then he better not give up JT Miller. I don't think there's any question that Miller is our closest NHL ready forward prospect. I love his willingness to do whatever it takes to make it to the NHL. He just shows a tremendous amount of character(I know, I know)- not to mention some pretty darn good skill. Admittedly, I haven't watched him play all that much, but I hope he could become that 'type' of impact second line player I expected Ethan Werek to become.

I'm going to throw out my version of a future "drool-worthy" line:
Kreider-Stepan-Miller
No way miller goes too.

Old
07-09-2012, 11:43 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
No way miller goes too.
Agree. No way.

IF there was to be a trade, they need someone who can step in that has upside.

Miller would have to stay.

Old
07-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Salvage21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
No way miller goes too.
While I echo the same sentiments, it's pretty unfathomable to think about how much back-and-forth conversations Sather and Howson probably had regarding Nash. Probably just as much as some of the posters in the Nash threads on the main board and over here.

Old
07-09-2012, 11:49 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Miller is the only viable replacement in the system for Dubinsky or Anisimov.

Nash would be an obvious upgrade to one of Dubinsky/Anisimov.

But Miller is the only player in the system right now that's close enough.

Old
07-09-2012, 11:57 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Miller is the only viable replacement in the system for Dubinsky or Anisimov.

Nash would be an obvious upgrade to one of Dubinsky/Anisimov.

But Miller is the only player in the system right now that's close enough.
Which is why I think the trade will be something based on Dubinsky, AA, Thomas, and a pick.

Old
07-09-2012, 11:58 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Up and down with Doan - why is he in the discussion?

If he really wants that $ and term, or close to it, that's ridiculous and I can't justify having him on the books for that long for that much money.

Also, it keeps getting flipped back and forth that he is considering the Rangers and not considering the Rangers. What's the deal? Someone get it right.

Old
07-10-2012, 12:23 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

some guy on twitter is claiming Nash to NYR is a done deal ... no idea who he is though

Old
07-10-2012, 12:37 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter35 View Post
The only reason I wouldn't is because he looks like he just had a bad knee injury in thelast game, and has already had knee problems, and he's old

Old
07-10-2012, 12:41 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Hyperbole much?

We didn't lack 4th liners in the playoffs last year, we lacked 3rd liners. With Kreider's presence, Dubinsky or Hagelin can shift down the depth chart and Anisimov can go back to center and also shift down the depth chart. That's 2/3 of a very good 3rd line and puts most of our 4th line caliber players where they belong. Pyatt can, grudgingly, make up the rest of the 3rd if he has to.

But we lost Prust, Mitchell and Fedotenko. Those players had to be replaced somewhere. Asham over Prust is a downgrade. Pyatt over Mitchell is a major upgrade. Halpern over Fedotenko is lateral, although Halpern's PK makes up for that part of losing Prust. I wasn't saying that the 4th line was the biggest problem, depth wise, but I was saying that we had need for 4th liners this offseason. We needed more, in quantity, in 4th liners than anywhere else in the lineup.
Pyatt isn't a center. Haley or Newbury will probably be our 4th line center.

Old
07-10-2012, 12:47 AM
Broadway Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Pyatt isn't a center. Haley or Newbury will probably be our 4th line center.
No. Boyle is our 4th line center at the moment. If he needs to be bumped up to the 3rd line, Halpern will be the 4th line center.

Old
07-10-2012, 12:56 AM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Agree. No way.

IF there was to be a trade, they need someone who can step in that has upside.

Miller would have to stay.
Is Miller a deal breaker? It would be tough to argue that when he is not on the untouchable list.

Old
07-10-2012, 12:58 AM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Maybe howson is asking for boyle? /sarcasm

Old
07-10-2012, 01:03 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
Rozsival's fine but there's no room on the d-end.

Plenty of depth already thrown in with some real talent in the top-three.

Staal, McD, Girardi. You also have MDZ who will be re-upped soon, Stralman, Bickel and potential camp fighters like Erixon and co. There's always a surprise guy. Erixon will make the team (should have made it last year - no room). Bickel will be the 7th.
You're failing to take handedness into account. Staal, McD, Del Zotto, Stralman and Erixon are all left defensemen. Girardi and Bickel are our only righty defensemen with NHL experience, and then there is McIlrath (and of course Sauer if he ever comes back).

So in my opinion, we NEED a righty defenseman that could eat significant minutes. Del Zotto and Stralman are both awful on that side. One of them will most likely be dealt sooner than later. And our depth severly lacks on defense. If we go into the season without adding another righty defenseman and have Del Zotto or Stralman rounding out our top 4 AND a combination of Erixon, McIlrath or Bickel as our 3rd pair,we're in the same position we were last season. I'm hardly saying Roszival is the solution, as I question his health, but he DOES have experience with Staal as a partner and would balanace things out. He may be the cheapest option out there for the Rangers.

Old
07-10-2012, 01:06 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
You're failing to take handedness into account. Staal, McD, Del Zotto, Stralman and Erixon are all left defensemen. Girardi and Bickel are our only righty defensemen with NHL experience, and then there is McIlrath (and of course Sauer if he ever comes back).

So in my opinion, we NEED a righty defenseman that could eat significant minutes. Del Zotto and Stralman are both awful on that side. One of them will most likely be dealt sooner than later. And our depth severly lacks on defense. If we go into the season without adding another righty defenseman and have Del Zotto or Stralman rounding out our top 4 AND a combination of Erixon, McIlrath or Bickel as our 3rd pair,we're in the same position we were last season. I'm hardly saying Roszival is the solution, as I question his health, but he DOES have experience with Staal as a partner and would balanace things out. He may be the cheapest option out there for the Rangers.
Stralman spent pretty much the whole season on the right side(well since he was injected into the lineup). He was solid defensively, I don't know where you are getting this.

Old
07-10-2012, 01:09 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
some guy on twitter is claiming Nash to NYR is a done deal ... no idea who he is though
whats his twitter handle? dont tell me its the hockey insider

mines @gregnyr19

Closed Thread