HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

UFC on Fuel: Munoz vs Weidman

Old
07-11-2012, 11:14 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Weidman was outstanding.

Not much experience, but how can you give a title shot to someone else after that performance?

Horrid late stoppage by Rosenthal.

Thankfully Munoz looks ok. Really nice guy. Hope he is able to either make a comeback or transition into coaching full time.

Hella performance by Tehuna and Beltran.

Carmont looks like a beast.

I spent 60+ bucks on Saturday and this card beat that card by a lot.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:41 PM
Peter Griffin

vCash: 500
If they don't give Weidman a title shot right away I'd like to see Belcher/Weidman and Bisping/Stann in the near future.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:54 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
RE: Lombard getting a shot

Far more people knew who Shields was because of his CBS exposure, and by the time the fight came around they were able to show Strikeforce tape. For Lombard to get a shot he'll have to look like a killer in his debut. They can't sell a fight on his record because they can't show videotape of it. In many casuals minds things like that don't matter unless they're seen.

There are no names on Lombard's record, so they can't say he's beaten _________ and ______________ and _______________. Nobody knows who his past opponents are.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
If they don't give Weidman a title shot right away I'd like to see Belcher/Weidman and Bisping/Stann in the near future.
Dana said it wil be Bisping/Weidman. edit: false rumor..damn twitterverse.

Last edited by Gene Parmesan: 07-12-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
m9

Quote:
Makes sense. I also think Weidman v Boetsch is a great matchup if Boetsch beats Lombard.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:56 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Dana said it wil be Bisping/Weidman.
That makes sense. Did he mention this at the press conference?

Old
07-12-2012, 12:01 AM
m9

Bisping/Weidman is cool too. Hopefully they can do that fight fairly soon. Its nice to have such an interesting 185 division after what seems like years of nothing.

Old
07-12-2012, 12:06 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
That makes sense. Did he mention this at the press conference?
it would be a great fight...its a false rumor sorry fellas. Bisings stand up and tdd against Weidman's top control and bjj is an mma fans wet dream.

Old
07-12-2012, 12:07 AM
I am the Liquor

Bisping has pretty good TDD and wrestling, so he could pose some problems for Weidman, but man, this kid has been running through people like a hot knife through butter.

Reminds me of when Silva first came to the UFC. He just demolished everyone. Jones too I suppose. And maybe whoever they match up against Silva will pull up lame and Weidman will get his shot that way, similar to Jones?

Silva is a tough nut to crack, but it looks like Weidman is the best guy for the job of those that are available.

I think it actually works to Silva's disadvantage to wait. Weidman gets another high profile fight, gets some more experience, gets a little more acclimated to the rigors of the press and all the bs and the pressure of a big fight, meanwhile Silva gets older.

Old
07-12-2012, 12:09 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Bisping has pretty good TDD and wrestling, so he could pose some problems for Weidman, but man, this kid has been running through people like a hot knife through butter.

Reminds me of when Silva first came to the UFC. He just demolished everyone. Jones too I suppose. And maybe whoever they match up against Silva will pull up lame and Weidman will get his shot that way, similar to Jones?

Silva is a tough nut to crack, but it looks like Weidman is the best guy for the job of those that are available.

I think it actually works to Silva's disadvantage to wait. Weidman gets another high profile fight, gets some more experience, gets a little more acclimated to the rigors of the press and all the bs and the pressure of a big fight, meanwhile Silva gets older.
Weidman is a beast. Hes a grappling phenom and a great athlete. His stand up will only get better with Longo/Serra.

Old
07-12-2012, 12:20 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
it would be a great fight...its a false rumor sorry fellas. Bisings stand up and tdd against Weidman's top control and bjj is an mma fans wet dream.
Yea kind of thought so. Didn't think they'd set up a potential #1 contender's fight so quickly, especially since it sounds like Dana really was expecting Munoz to win tonight.

I still like Weidman/Belcher though. Both guys have been on nice runs and have solid BJJ backgrounds. Weidman the better wrestler, Belcher the better kickboxer. I think Weidman would win but it gives him a fight against a guy that has a pretty good all-around style.

Old
07-12-2012, 12:20 AM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Weidman looked great tonight. Really took it to Munoz.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:31 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Any event where the co-main is James Te-Huna vs Joey Beltran, is probably not worth watching.

Old
07-12-2012, 12:41 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
lol. No one expected that. The Mexican Zombie came to fight but damn I almost wish he would get cut for his own well being.

Old
07-12-2012, 12:52 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
lol. No one expected that. The Mexican Zombie came to fight but damn I almost wish he would get cut for his own well being.
I was thinking the same thing. He has a heart of a lion and a head like a cinder block. Really hope he stops so he doesnt end up with permanent damage.

Old
07-12-2012, 12:58 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. He has a heart of a lion and a head like a cinder block. Really hope he stops so he doesnt end up with permanent damage.
He just doesn't have the talent....he would probably do well in a smaller promotion but his last two fights have been scary to watch at times.

Old
07-12-2012, 05:01 AM
BGDDYKWL

Wow that was impressive. I was never all that high on Munoz, but to see Weidman dominate him like that certainly confirmed the hype. That elbow was unbelievable. Could've been lucky timing, but if he saw Munoz loading up and purposely countered with that elbow, that is really impressive. Definitely a very late stop by Rosenthal. Not sure what took him so long to get in there. No doubt in my mind Weidman deserves the next title shot. The guy has elite wrestling and is constantly looking for ways to finish the fight. The timing works out as well. You could line this up for late fall. No point in making him fight someone like Bisping and just have Anderson sit for 6+ months.

And on a side note, good to see Sonnen looking to be in good spirits on the telecast. I think he's great as an analyst, and without much on the immediate horizon for him fight wise, I'd like to see him doing more of this.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 06:18 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
This card is weak, but there are three fights on it I want to see. The main event, Dos Anjos/Njokuani, and the Te Huna fight. Te Huna interests me because the guy is violent.
We breed them ruthless in New Zealand

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Captain_Cunney

What a dominant performance, picked Weidman to win but I thought he may lock a late choke in after Munoz slowed. Unreal.

Carmont looked unreal also, very well rounded and hard to keep down. I'd love to see him fight Leben or Cung next.

Quote:
Great matchup. Not only does it move him into a #1 contender, but it would be an excellent style to get ready for Anderson.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:18 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Weidman is a beast. I thought Munoz would be able to take him down and pick up the win. Yeah, I was wrong.

That was one of the worst stoppages ever. Munoz was out when he got hit with the elbow.

Not related to the fights but I thought Chael was great on Fuel TV. They should have him on as an analyst for every event.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 05:22 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
We breed them ruthless in New Zealand
Too bad you don't breed them with good cardio. If that fight goes to a 4th round, Te Huna would've been knocked out. He was completely gassed and lucky he survived. Beltran was very lucky to survive the first round though. I'd like to see Te Huna fight Bonnar or Thiago Silva next. Other guys I wouldn't mind seeing him fight next are Matyushenko and Soszynski.

Amazing performance by Weidman. He's a serious threat to Silva already but I'd give him another fight first and let Silva fight Lombard in the meantime.

Dos Anjos looked great against Njokuani and needs a step up in competition next time out. I have no idea why I picked him to lose. He's looked great the last few years with his only losses being the jaw injury loss to Guida and a SD to Tibau that could've went either way. I was quite impressed with both Carmont and Dillashaw's wins too and could see both guys contending in their divisions in the next year or so.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 05:47 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
Too bad you don't breed them with good cardio. If that fight goes to a 4th round, Te Huna would've been knocked out. He was completely gassed and lucky he survived. Beltran was very lucky to survive the first round though. I'd like to see Te Huna fight Bonnar or Thiago Silva next. Other guys I wouldn't mind seeing him fight next are Matyushenko and Soszynski.

Amazing performance by Weidman. He's a serious threat to Silva already but I'd give him another fight first and let Silva fight Lombard in the meantime.

Dos Anjos looked great against Njokuani and needs a step up in competition next time out. I have no idea why I picked him to lose. He's looked great the last few years with his only losses being the jaw injury loss to Guida and a SD to Tibau that could've went either way. I was quite impressed with both Carmont and Dillashaw's wins too and could see both guys contending in their divisions in the next year or so.
I think I read Te Huna broke his hand and foot, so there might have been more there than just him gassing. Could be a reason why he slowed down so much.

I agree on Dos Anjos, I only picked Njokuani because I'm a sucker for a few guys that I liked in the WEC. Gotta stop doing that.

Old
07-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post

Te Huna vs Thiago would be a brawl. Call Joe Silva.

Old
07-12-2012, 07:04 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

There's nobody else besides the extreme top echelon at 205 who could take the punches that Te-Huna was throwing out there. That being said, he's almost as wide open to being hit as Beltran, so against better fighters he could find himself taking a ton of punishment without the chin to back it up.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:50 AM
Captain_Cunney

Too bad they booked Rampage already, henand Te-Huna would have been like a gm of rock'em'sockem robots.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote