HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Escalating Contracts

Old
07-08-2012, 03:23 PM
Bluester

vCash: 500
Escalating Contracts

Is anyone else a bit concerned over the escalating contracts we keep handing out? While yes it looks good salary cap wise with a team on a internal budget I think it might hamper us a bit into the future and is setting president that might in the long run could hamper us in resigning/signing FA.

Bluester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 03:34 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluester View Post
Is anyone else a bit concerned over the escalating contracts we keep handing out? While yes it looks good salary cap wise with a team on a internal budget I think it might hamper us a bit into the future and is setting president that might in the long run could hamper us in resigning/signing FA.
If things go as they should, the team will continue to make more money each season from playoff berths and successful seasons, and the cap will continue to rise each year. I don't think it's much to be concerned about. St. Louis supports their successful sports teams. If the Blues continue to win with regularity and make the playoffs with regularity, the city will continue to support them. Also, aside from Pietrangelo we have many good players, but no true superstar. This helps regulate the payroll quite a bit. Tarasenko could possibly become a star player, but that won't be for quite a few seasons.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 03:35 PM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Yeah, I've spoken about it in a few threads.

As long as the money will be there in a few years, then it is fine. The issue is that people will look at the cap, and in a few years our cap hit could be significantly lower than our $ salary obligations if we continue backloading contracts.

Considering we have done it with both Jax and Perron this summer, I expect that it will be done with Oshie too.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 03:47 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
If things go as they should, the team will continue to make more money each season from playoff berths and successful seasons, and the cap will continue to rise each year. I don't think it's much to be concerned about. St. Louis supports their successful sports teams. If the Blues continue to win with regularity and make the playoffs with regularity, the city will continue to support them. Also, aside from Pietrangelo we have many good players, but no true superstar. This helps regulate the payroll quite a bit. Tarasenko could possibly become a star player, but that won't be for quite a few seasons.
The cap doesn't really come into it, it is about or actual $ budget.

We are currently spending about $42.4m + bonuses on our NHL roster for the coming season, with Oshie to add to that. That is going to rise significantly, and it is surprising that we didn't try to give Perron and Jackman a bigger salary this year in order to offset the big rise we will see next season.

Old
07-08-2012, 06:19 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
It goes with inflation. $3 million today is not the same as $3 million in the future.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 04:00 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

I remember back in the day when the Blues were " Mavericks " with the Contracts dished out to Hull, Stevens, Shanahan...

now to the present day I'm glad that the 'note are sticking to a self imposed budget and not offering crazy offers 10 + years like other teams have done to circumvent the cap.

However, Alex P's contract is up and i'm sure AP27 will get more then what Doughty of the Kings got after a brief traning camp holdout last September.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:39 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
I remember back in the day when the Blues were " Mavericks " with the Contracts dished out to Hull, Stevens, Shanahan...

now to the present day I'm glad that the 'note are sticking to a self imposed budget and not offering crazy offers 10 + years like other teams have done to circumvent the cap.

However, Alex P's contract is up and i'm sure AP27 will get more then what Doughty of the Kings got after a brief traning camp holdout last September.
I highly doubt that Pietrangelo gets more than $7m, the Karlsson contract is probably the benchmark at $6.5m. That might change if we mess about into next summer though. $6.5m is just shy of $5m more than we are currently paying him with his bonuses.