HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Breaking news: insurance companies will no longer cover the Blue Jays...

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2012, 12:01 AM
Auzzie19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Why do that when you already have 1 of the better offenses in baseball?

That money would be better spent on pitching. Edwin Jackson, Hiroki Kuroda, Ryan Dempster, Kyle Lohse. Going after Greinke/Hamels should be option #1 but if you miss out on them going after 1 or 2 of those 4 I mentioned makes more sense than giving 37 year David Ortiz a 3 year deal.
Imo Kuroda is a mirrage, he is getting tremendous run support. Dempster is interesting, but maybe asks for too much money, Lohse not too sure, I see Jackson resigning with the Nationals.

It's always better to have Ortiz in your lineup over Lind, plus this way we will shelter our rookies in D'Arnaud, Hechavaria, and Snider.

Old
07-11-2012, 12:30 AM
RedRenegade

I'd like to see EE stay and love to see him keep hitting at, or close to, where he's been this year. He's dangerous with JB.

Not trying to de-rail the topic, and I apologize if this has been talked about before, but did anyone catch Gregg Zaun's comments about the city of Toronto? He was talking about Shaun Marcum with mccowan and he said Marcum was a great locker room guy, so there's no way that was the reason he got traded. Then Zaun said something like 'I think he liked the city as much I do...when on the street'. The way I took it is he doesn't like Toronto itself and that really ****** me off. Did anyone else catch it?

Old
07-11-2012, 12:36 AM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRenegade View Post
I'd like to see EE stay and love to see him keep hitting at, or close to, where he's been this year. He's dangerous with JB.

Not trying to de-rail the topic, and I apologize if this has been talked about before, but did anyone catch Gregg Zaun's comments about the city of Toronto? He was talking about Shaun Marcum with mccowan and he said Marcum was a great locker room guy, so there's no way that was the reason he got traded. Then Zaun said something like 'I think he liked the city as much I do...when on the street'. The way I took it is he doesn't like Toronto itself and that really ****** me off. Did anyone else catch it?
Zaun is a tool.
Hes really running his mouth too much about certain things and hes going to get canned very soon if it continues. He trashs the teams prospects, criticizes management any chance he gets, makes comments about not liking the city. He just always has a negative tone towards really anything management does. I mean it was utterly pathetic how much he tried to argue that the Brewers to this point had won the Lawrie/Marcum. I honestly think he has a beef with someone higher up and thus why he always rips on things.

Old
07-11-2012, 08:03 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzie19 View Post
Imo Kuroda is a mirrage, he is getting tremendous run support. Dempster is interesting, but maybe asks for too much money, Lohse not too sure, I see Jackson resigning with the Nationals.

It's always better to have Ortiz in your lineup over Lind, plus this way we will shelter our rookies in D'Arnaud, Hechavaria, and Snider.

He isn't. He's getting 5.58 runs per start (per 9 innings). That's less than any Yankees or Blue Jays starter (60 innings minimum).

Old
07-11-2012, 08:05 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Throw Marcum, A Sanchez, McCarthy in there.

It'd be hilarious if Marcum came back.

Old
07-11-2012, 08:27 AM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Apparently Arizona is really high on Hechevarria

Old
07-11-2012, 08:39 AM
TheTotalPackage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
If Hechevarria could help us land Upton, I wouldn't have a problem including him in a deal. But that is contingent on whether the Escobar we'll be going with forward is the one who looks interested and has star written all over him, or the lackadaisical one that makes one think there is a reason why Atlanta gave up on such a talent.

Old
07-11-2012, 08:50 AM
StuckOutHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTotalPackage View Post
If Hechevarria could help us land Upton, I wouldn't have a problem including him in a deal. But that is contingent on whether the Escobar we'll be going with forward is the one who looks interested and has star written all over him, or the lackadaisical one that makes one think there is a reason why Atlanta gave up on such a talent.
We have the beginnings of an excellent outfield, I would leave Upton alone and stick with what we have on that front. That's just me. I'm also not the biggest fan of Yunel haha. Would rather see Hech there next year.

Old
07-11-2012, 08:50 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post

They are pretty thin on middle infielders.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:16 AM
ryno23

If Upton is available I would make a move for him. Maybe AA goes and acquires Chase Headley from SD for a package and then puts him and Ech in a deal for Upton. ARI is said to be looking for 3b and SS help.

A outfield of Upton, Rasmus and Bautista would be very good and Upton hitting 5th behind EE would lengthen the lineup and have some protection for EE.

You can then move Gose in a package for a pitcher a top of the rotation guy.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:15 AM
blue82
BELEAF (win or lose)

zaun has relationships with people that affect his opinion of them from a baseball perspective..he is obviously good friends for JPA imo

Old
07-11-2012, 10:34 AM
thatshype

Upton isn't going to help us win games right now. Getting Upton would create unrest in the outfield with either Justin or Jose moving to Left, and does not help us one bit with our starting rotation.

Move prospects for pitchers. Give them Syndegaard or Sanchez or Marisnick or others, or ALL of them. As much as I love having great talent in the minors, when those prospects project to be about 3-4 years away, they aren't gonna help us. Garza could help us in the now. Shields could help us now. Even Guthrie could help us now.

It's fun to imagine a World Series -quality roster of 2017 that has all of our prospects as star players at their positions. Frankly, that's never gonna happen. None of our bats will ever be as lethal as Bautista. We need to capitalize on having Bautista and turn our young arms into a BIG league arm.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:37 AM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

As much as everyone wants a top of the rotation starter, I will argue getting 1 or 2 good quality pen arms is probably going to help us more in our current state then a starter. It would also be much less costly. If we can go into games knowing that fromt he 6th inning on we have an abundance of decent arms to finish out the game it would let our starters relax and set the bar low.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:51 AM
Thorntonfan97
#GoldMedalInTheFace

Send a message via MSN to Thorntonfan97 Send a message via Yahoo to Thorntonfan97
Uhhhh did anyone else see this... Jose appears in his birthday suit for a body magazine

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/201...ler_blue_jays/

Old
07-11-2012, 10:57 AM
The Man in White

vCash: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatshype View Post
Upton isn't going to help us win games right now. Getting Upton would create unrest in the outfield with either Justin or Jose moving to Left, and does not help us one bit with our starting rotation.

Move prospects for pitchers. Give them Syndegaard or Sanchez or Marisnick or others, or ALL of them. As much as I love having great talent in the minors, when those prospects project to be about 3-4 years away, they aren't gonna help us. Garza could help us in the now. Shields could help us now. Even Guthrie could help us now.

It's fun to imagine a World Series -quality roster of 2017 that has all of our prospects as star players at their positions. Frankly, that's never gonna happen. None of our bats will ever be as lethal as Bautista. We need to capitalize on having Bautista and turn our young arms into a BIG league arm.
Are you Greg Zaun? He said the exact same thing a few days ago, to empty to cupboard for Garza.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:12 AM
TheTotalPackage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorntonfan97 View Post
Uhhhh did anyone else see this... Jose appears in his birthday suit for a body magazine

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/201...ler_blue_jays/
How can a guy who can grow a beard in an hour not have a speck of hair anywhere on his body?!

Old
07-11-2012, 11:21 AM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Zaun is a tool.
Hes really running his mouth too much about certain things and hes going to get canned very soon if it continues. He trashs the teams prospects, criticizes management any chance he gets, makes comments about not liking the city. He just always has a negative tone towards really anything management does. I mean it was utterly pathetic how much he tried to argue that the Brewers to this point had won the Lawrie/Marcum. I honestly think he has a beef with someone higher up and thus why he always rips on things.
Everyone knows he likes the sound of his own voice. He tells it like it is, and doesn't hold back. Something that will eventually get him into trouble while being entertaining at the same time. I can't comment on whatever recent comments he made without context, but I can say confidently that he loves Canada and the city in general. If that wasn't the case, why the hell would he be here? I'm sure he could find work doing something else. As for the prospects, from what I've heard anyway, he said (about the big 3) they're only in A-ball and have alot to prove before being locks for any major league roster, and he's right. As for the Lawrie/Marcum thing, Zaun made me facepalm so hard I slapped myself. Besides that, I think you guys are going way too far with this.

Last edited by Everlong: 07-11-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old
07-11-2012, 11:36 AM
Bionda

It's so frustrating being a Toronto sports fan.. Bautista's comments should instill a sense of urgency within this club, but at the same time, why jeopardize the future for a wild card spot?

The injuries continue to mount, Romero has looked quite shaky.. it's just so depressing.

There might some parallels with the Vince Carter/McGrady debacle from my childhood

Hopefully it doesn't play out that way, and we have a solid 2nd half.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:44 AM
Bionda

The comments about Zaun hating it here are hilarious, we are so cynical that we come up with delusions like these because it's all we know how to do

Read this article and see for yourself how Gregg Zaun feels about his tenure in T.O and the city itself:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/...ing-zaun-says/

And I quote: "I think of myself as a Blue Jay"

Old
07-11-2012, 12:04 PM
ryno23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
Everyone knows he likes the sound of his own voice. He tells it like it is, and doesn't hold back. Something that will eventually get him into trouble while being entertaining at the same time. I can't comment on whatever recent comments he made without context, but I can say confidently that he loves Canada and the city in general. If that wasn't the case, why the hell would he be here? I'm sure he could find work doing something else. As for the prospects, from what I've heard anyway, he said (about the big 3) they're only in A-ball and have alot to prove before being locks for any major league roster, and he's right. As for the Lawrie/Marcum thing, Zaun made me facepalm so hard I slapped myself. Besides that, I think you guys are going way too far with this.
Zaun is the Don Cherry of baseball. Yeah he talks a ton and says crazy things sometimes but there is always the element of truth behind his opinions and he is very smart when it comes to the game and what goes on.

You can knock Cherry and Zaun but they know what they are talking about and tons of people agree with their views and its really their own point of views....what the difference is that the people that don't like their views express it on these type of boards and internet forums like the people who agree rarely make their voice heard.

Old
07-11-2012, 12:04 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

On the Canada Day broadcast Zaun talked at length about how much he enjoyed Toronto and the country as a whole, and how he thinks of it as home because of how much he enjoyed his time with the Jays. I hardly think he's going to go as in depth as he did about how much he likes it up here if he was lying and paying lip service.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
07-11-2012, 12:51 PM
TheTotalPackage

I am almost certain Zaun's two-year contract with Sportsnet is up after this season. I wonder if there is a mutual sense for him to come back.

Old
07-11-2012, 01:13 PM
AlienWorkShop
No Ben! No!

I think Zaun's hilarious and his analysis is usually pretty spot on.

His suits are horrific, he's an outspoken Republican, and his turn in Toronto Life's "10 Things I Can't Live Without" was revoltingly shallow and materialistic. And I love ALL of it!

Old
07-11-2012, 01:16 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienWorkShop View Post
I think Zaun's hilarious and his analysis is usually pretty spot on.

His suits are horrific, he's an outspoken Republican, and his turn in Toronto Life's "10 Things I Can't Live Without" was revoltingly shallow and materialistic. And I love ALL of it!
His analysis of the game is good its when he starts to talk about things like prospects, things management should have done etc where he starts to sound like a bigtime idiot.

Old
07-11-2012, 01:31 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
His analysis of the game is good its when he starts to talk about things like prospects, things management should have done etc where he starts to sound like a bigtime idiot.
This. As an Xs and Os guy he's pretty good. But he needs to stay away from front office discussion.

Closed Thread