HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Off-season Armchair GM Thread Part VII

Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2012, 06:30 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanezer View Post
Bob McKenzie certainly does. He wrote a series of tweets yesterday saying he expects a lockout.
With how far the sides sounded like I would not be surprised if a lockout happens.

07-14-2012, 07:52 PM
thrillermiller89

vCash: 500
Our team is built with guys who play the puck-possession style. Somewhat built like Boston (big bodies, not super fast but decent, can play the body). So since Marleau and Havlat dont fit that mold, perhaps it's best we move them.

Marleau to Ottawa for (G) R. Lehner, (LW) C. Greening, and a 1st.

Then Havlat and Lehner to CLB for Nash.

Finally, we sign Doan. Then sign Knuble for the league minimum (he can rebound, and if not, we swap him with Wingels since Wingels already has chemistry with Clowe and Couture).

Nash-Thornton-Doan
Clowe-Couture-Knuble
Greening-Pavelski-Burish
Galiardi-Desjardin-Wingels

Old
07-14-2012, 07:53 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillermiller89 View Post
Our team is built with guys who play the puck-possession style. Somewhat built like Boston (big bodies, not super fast but decent, can play the body). So since Marleau and Havlat dont fit that mold, perhaps it's best we move them.

Finally we sign Doan. Then sign Knuble for the league minimum (he can rebound, and if not, we swap him with Wingels since Wingels already has chemistry with Clowe and Couture).

Nash-Thornton-Doan
Clowe-Couture-Knuble
Greening-Pavelski-Burish
That team is so slow that I want to puke. The whole team is below-average speed. The only guys with notable speed are the fourth-liners.

This is the exact opposite of what we should be doing.

Old
07-14-2012, 08:00 PM
thrillermiller89

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
That team is so slow that I want to puke. The whole team is below-average speed. The only guys with notable speed are the fourth-liners.

This is the exact opposite of what we should be doing.
Well, we have a clash of identities on this team. Some play the possession style, some play the fast/high-tempo style. We have more players who play the puck possession style, so it would be easier to trade the only two who play the high-tempo style (Marleau and Havlat). Plus, contracts aside, I think I'd rather have Nash and Doan over Marleau and Havlat.... at least for the way this team is currently built.

If you want a team that features a slew of speedsters, then you may as well trade Joe, Clowe, and probably Pavs and Couture too for guys like Grabner, Raymond, Fleischman, etc.

Old
07-14-2012, 08:17 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Well, we have a clash of identities on this team. Some play the possession style, some play the fast/high-tempo style. We have more players who play the puck possession style, so it would be easier to trade the only two who play the high-tempo style (Marleau and Havlat). Plus, contracts aside, I think I'd rather have Nash and Doan over Marleau and Havlat.... at least for the way this team is currently built.

If you want a team that features a slew of speedsters, then you may as well trade Joe, Clowe, and probably Pavs and Couture too for guys like Grabner, Raymond, Fleischman, etc.
The entire team doesn't have to be fast. But more than two of the top-6 has to be. And speedster is different than fast.

For example, I quite like the Oshie+ for Pavelski swap discussed on the trade boards. Oshie isn't a speedster, but he's an above average skater. He's also one of the few people that I'd be willing to trade for Pavelski, as he plays just as difficult minutes and plays them almost as well as Pavs does, so the net affect on our team isn't lost like it would be if we traded Pavs for a Perron type.

Combine exchanging Pavelski for Oshie and Clowe for some speed, and viola, donezo.

Old
07-14-2012, 08:20 PM
thrillermiller89

Quote:
The entire team doesn't have to be fast. But more than two of the top-6 has to be. And speedster is different than fast.

For example, I quite like the Oshie+ for Pavelski swap discussed on the trade boards. Oshie isn't a speedster, but he's an above average skater. He's also one of the few people that I'd be willing to trade for Pavelski, as he plays just as difficult minutes and plays them almost as well as Pavs does, so the net affect on our team isn't lost like it would be if we traded Pavs for a Perron type.

Combine exchanging Pavelski for Oshie and Clowe for some speed, and viola, donezo.
I can see your point. I wouldnt mind Pavs for Oshie+

Old
07-14-2012, 09:42 PM
Vavonia

Quote:

Finally, we sign Doan. Then sign Knuble for the league minimum (he can rebound, and if not, we swap him with Wingels since Wingels already has chemistry with Clowe and Couture).

Nash-Thornton-Doan
Clowe-Couture-Knuble
Greening-Pavelski-Burish
This would be the absolute slowest team to ever play in the league since Murray-Thornton-Knuble + McLaren-Gill 12 years ago.

Old
07-14-2012, 10:14 PM
Iron Chef

I don't understand why so many people think that a lockout is going to happen just based on the initial proposal from the NHL. It's a negotiation. One side starts high and the other side starts low so that they have room to negotiate. I still have faith that the season will start on time. I think the NHL and players learned a lot from the last lockout.

Old
07-15-2012, 01:57 AM
murdock1116

On the flip side of things Toronto has probably the fastest team in the league and look how they've done over the past few years.

There is no winning formula, we just need to get "better."

Doug Wilson needs to FIX IT!!!

Old
07-15-2012, 02:24 AM
domon

Maybe do a different style per line thing?

Old
07-15-2012, 02:41 AM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
For example, I quite like the Oshie+ for Pavelski swap discussed on the trade boards. Oshie isn't a speedster, but he's an above average skater.
I know you asked that question on the trade board (Oshie's speed) but it's quite comparable to Pavelski. The only thing that trade would accomplish is getting a less productive Pavelski who has a few seasons more as a right winger and is prone to injury.

Does nothing to improve the forum's (well a few of you) obsession with team speed.

Last edited by Patty Ice: 07-15-2012 at 02:46 AM.
Old
07-15-2012, 04:15 AM
Chubbs
Toasty

Quote:

The entire team doesn't need a single playstyle. There is no absolute winning formula. If anything, I would imagine it'd be easier to shut down a team where everyone did the same thing.

Just off the top of my head, during Vancouver's cup run, their first line was completely possession based. The Sedins are far from fast and Burrows was used as an F1. Their second line was used as a shutdown line and scored mainly with speed and transition play.

Old
07-15-2012, 07:26 AM
Le Rosbeef

Quote:

Nash-Thornton-Doan
Clowe-Couture-Knuble
Greening-Pavelski-Burish
No.1, I doubt a young Ottawa team trades Lehner and Greening plus a 1st round pick for Marleau.

No.2, notwithstanding the good start he has had to his NHL career, I'm not yet sold on Greening being a regular, independent top 6 producing player. On that basis, I don't want to move Marleau and Havlat for Nash and Greening from a pure personnel standpoint.

No.3, I've gone on record as saying I want Doan but if those numbers of 30m/4yrs are true, we won't be in the running for him. I previously said I'd be ok with 3years, 6m per and even I know that's really pricey, overpaid and solely due to the fact he's a highly coveted UFA. Those numbers mooted though, if true, are a non-starter. I'd rather give that contract to Alex Semin and he's a guy I don't particularly want...

No.4, Knuble is done.

Old
07-15-2012, 10:54 AM
Kap-the-Head

Looks like Semin is asking for 10mil/2y contract (5 per). DW should just sign him.

Old
07-15-2012, 11:07 AM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap-the-Head View Post
Looks like Semin is asking for 10mil/2y contract (5 per). DW should just sign him.
If that is all he is asking I don't know how he hasn't been signed yet.

Old
07-15-2012, 11:30 AM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
That's it? What the hell DW do it. Semin is totally worth two Handzus'.

Old
07-15-2012, 11:41 AM
Franchise13

Seriously. 2yrs/10M is perfectly fine by me, chances are it's Semin that doesn't want to come to SJ.

Detroit with Dats or Pens with Geno I think.

Old
07-15-2012, 11:41 AM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

Quote:
Where? Is their a link to this news item?

Old
07-15-2012, 12:14 PM
murdock1116

2 yr/10 mil ?!?!?! That's a steal!

Totally worth the risque, though you can barely call it that for those figures

Old
07-15-2012, 12:17 PM
sharkbite3
Don't Go Joe

I'd still be happy getting Semin at $6M/year.

Old
07-15-2012, 12:18 PM
Kap-the-Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
Where? Is their a link to this news item?
Quote:
Asked if he was surprised Semin, who in seven seasons recorded 197 goals and 409 points in 469 games for the Capitals, is still available, McPhee replied, “Not necessarily. It would have to be the right fit for him.”

Semin reportedly has received interest from the Penguins and Hurricanes but apparently is holding out for a two-year deal in the $10 million range.

http://www.csnwashington.com/hockey-...blockID=740220
Here it is...

Old
07-15-2012, 12:19 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Here it is...
So I guess the issue is that no one wants to give him multiple years? All he's asking for is two years? I'd do that in a heartbeat.

Old
07-15-2012, 12:20 PM
KirbyDots

Quote:
So I guess the issue is that no one wants to give him multiple years? All he's asking for is two years? I'd do that in a heartbeat.
Ditto, DW would be crazy not to offer that.

Old
07-15-2012, 12:53 PM
SharksAddict

Guarantee you that article is BS. Semin is way too talented to not get multiple teams biting on that measly contract demand.

Old
07-15-2012, 02:26 PM
KirbyDots

Scott Reiss ‏@ScottReissCSN
Mike Modano tells http://ESPNDallas.com the #sjsharks have contacted him about the possibility of playing next season. Modano is 40.

Closed Thread