HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-season Armchair GM Thread Part VII

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2012, 02:41 PM
KirbyDots

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
I don't get the hate. AK is a 3 time 20 or more goal scorer, he's actually decent defensively (unlike Semin), he's a natural RW, and as long as he's not around his brother reportedly a hard worker and a good guy in the room. I would prefer Semin, but he will probably get 6 mil or so. AK also brings a somewhat physical game (100+ hits a year). If people are ok paying a 4th liner like Burish nearly 2 mil, why not pay a legit top 6 like AK 4 mil?
Wrong. Semin is very good defensively, they even had him on the PK a year or so back. He has one of the best +/- ratings in the league. There have been several articles about this recently. Think Semin would be great, but don't think we can afford him unless we move Handzus some how, not likely.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:42 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
I don't get the hate. AK is a 3 time 20 or more goal scorer, he's actually decent defensively (unlike Semin), he's a natural RW, and as long as he's not around his brother reportedly a hard worker and a good guy in the room. I would prefer Semin, but he will probably get 6 mil or so. AK also brings a somewhat physical game (100+ hits a year). If people are ok paying a 4th liner like Burish nearly 2 mil, why not pay a legit top 6 like AK 4 mil?
Your plan would be to replace who for AK?

Old
07-10-2012, 02:43 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
Wrong. Semin is very good defensively, they even had him on the PK a year or so back. He has one of the best +/- ratings in the league. There have been several articles about this recently. Think Semin would be great, but don't think we can afford him unless we move Handzus some how, not likely.
That and no one would be able to talk to him. Semin would be quite isolated in that locker room

Old
07-10-2012, 02:44 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 50
Semin is literally a perfect fit, other than the 'Russian thing'. I hope DW can get over it to do what's best for his team.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:44 PM
KirbyDots

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
Your plan would be to replace who for AK?
Why would we need to replace anyone? Whats with you and thinking we need to replace someone to add a top 6 quality player. AK would either play on Jumbo's right wing with Pavs on the third or he would play on the third.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:45 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Why would we need to replace anyone? Whats with you and thinking we need to replace someone to add a top 6 quality player. AK would either play on Jumbo's right wing with Pavs on the third or he would play on the third.
Unless AK is signed for one year. Someone will probably have to go. I'd guess Clowe would bid the Shark audeu.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:46 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Semin is literally a perfect fit, other than the 'language thing'. I hope DW can get over it to do what's best for his team.
Fixed it

Old
07-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
WA will never accept putting Pavs on a third line.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:49 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
I'm not even arguing that. If the Sharks are going to pay someone 4 million and up for more than say two years that player will replace someone eventually.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:50 PM
KirbyDots

Quote:
Unless AK is signed for one year. Someone will probably have to go. I'd guess Clowe would bid the Shark audeu.
That's super hypothetical depending on a complete unknown, IE Clowe's new contract and the cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Yeah I know.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:51 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
I'm not even arguing that. If the Sharks are going to pay someone 4 million and up for more than say two years that player will replace someone eventually.
eventually will be clowe next year.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:52 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
eventually will be clowe next year.
Probably but I would have to believe there are better options than AK. I probably rather keep Clowe

Old
07-10-2012, 02:53 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
That's super hypothetical depending on a complete unknown, IE Clowe's new contract and the cap.

Yeah I know.
The Sharks plan and anticipate their future. You also forgot Coutures and Pavs new contracts

Old
07-10-2012, 02:55 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
The only thing I would be worried about with Semin, is do the Sharks have anyone who could effectively communicate with Semin?
Depends on how much TM learned from Datsyuk while he was in Det.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:57 PM
KirbyDots

Quote:
The Sharks plan and anticipate their future.
And they might make a give out a multi year contract in the 4m+ range, doesn't mean it would force their hand with Clowe. Clowe may not get a huge raise, cap could go up, and other players may or may not be retained. Yes, DW has a plan for this team going forward, the only one who knows what that is is DW and his staff. If I had to predict DW's plan it would be to give Pavs and Couture the money that they save from either not re-signing Boyle or give Patty and Jumbo less on their next contracts.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:59 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
And they might make a give out a multi year contract in the 4m+ range, doesn't mean it would force their hand with Clowe. Clowe may not get a huge raise, cap could go up, and other players may or may not be retained. Yes, DW has a plan for this team going forward, the only one who knows what that is is DW and his staff.
Like my edit says. It isn't just Clowe. Its Pavelski and Couture. Its also Thornton, Marleau, and Boyle as well. 2 years from now will be a critical time for the Sharks. The Salary structure is a very delicate thing. I don't see the Sharks messing with it for the likes of AK.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:01 PM
WantonAbandon

Other players contracts who come into play would be

Vlasic, Wingles, Braun, Demers, Murray and so on and so forth

Old
07-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Vaasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Neither of the K bros. are fast. I have them somewhere around a C on speed. Both can handle the puck (dangle). If the Sharks weren't in the hole on speed, I would be more amenable to looking in their direction.
Oh, I know he's not fast. But he's also not slow. I would put him on par at least, and IMO a bit better than Pavelski in skating. To me, AK is one of those solid all-around guys who is either a decent 2nd-line player, or a very high end 3rd liner.

You would know better than me, but I seem to remember that he played the F1 role in Montreal, which to me would make him a perfect fit on the top line (getting Marleau off F1 and back to shooter) or the 3rd line with someone like Pavelski if Doan was to be acquired.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:02 PM
KirbyDots

Quote:
Like my edit says. It isn't just Clowe. Its Pavelski and Couture. Its also Thornton, Marleau, and Boyle as well. 2 years from now will be a critical time for the Sharks. The Salary structure is a very delicate thing. I don't see the Sharks messing with it for the likes of AK.
Read my edit.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:06 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Read my edit.
If you don't resign Boyle he would need to be replaced. This costs money. Off the top of my head four players are all but guaranteed significant raises, Couture, Clowe Pavs, and Vlasic. Id guess their raises would combine to about 7 million in cap space if they are kept. They would all need to be signed to multi year contracts as well. Thornton and Marleau aren't gong to take that big of a cut.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:06 PM
hockeyball

DW is never going to sign Semin. He's all about character, and Semin regardless of the truth, is perceived as having serious character issues.

Plus, I just doubt Semin would have any interest in the Sharks.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Vaasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I think you've missed a lot of the last years stories on AK hehe. He has publically spoke out about his team and coach, basically demanded a trade, was traded, and then dropped by Nashville (and they kept his brother). Sergei has turned out to be the better Kostistyn by all accounts at this point. Not that either have great attitudes.

Also, Semin is better than AK defensively, he's actually quite good, that is not really his issue.
No, I didn't miss any of them. Sarhei is the party-boy, and while he may have more raw skill, he has MUCH better effort and attitude issue. AK has (maybe) less raw skill, but actually puts in more effort and has a much better attitude (IMO).

As for Semin and defense, we'll agree to disagree. Semin can play well when he wants. But 98% of the time he puts no effort into defense. If he's on a top line with JT and Patty can cover for him, that's not too much an issue (why I wouldn't mind him at right price). But to me AK is an affordable option who I think fits the team needs pretty well.

Especially if the team were to move Clowe, AK would then be even more attractive to me.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
If you don't resign Boyle he would need to be replaced. This costs money. Off the top of my head four players are all but guaranteed significant raises, Couture, Clowe Pavs, and Vlasic. Id guess their raises would combine to about 7 million in cap space if they are kept. They would all need to be signed to multi year contracts as well. Thornton and Marleau aren't gong to take that big of a cut.
i could see marleau and thornton's new contracts being 5 million thornton, and 4.5-4.9 million for marleau (if both are kept).

and by the time this all comes up (not resigning boyle), burns will be ready to take boyle's place, while hopefully one of, if not both demers and braun should be able to take burns spot.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:10 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
DW is never going to sign Semin. He's all about character, and Semin regardless of the truth, is perceived as having serious character issues.

Plus, I just doubt Semin would have any interest in the Sharks.
No he isn't. All the nonsense about Semin have been spewed about Marleau. The Sharks "insider" is convinced that dumping Marleau should be a top priority for the Sharks. You got an ex teammate talking smack about him. Wilson resigned Marleau after his worse season post lockout.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:10 PM
KirbyDots

Quote:
Boyle will most likely be replaced internally, he is currently 35 and will be starting to decline by the point his contract is up. Couture will still be RFA. Couture and Pav's money comes off of Jumbo and Marleau's contracts and from possibly not retaining Boyle. Clowe will have to earn a raise, right now he hasn't earned a significant one. Handzus and Murray come off the books next year. All this and we still are 5.5 under the cap at the moment, we can definitely afford to add another 4m~ contract, and should if the right player(Doan) is willing to come here as our window is closing.

Closed Thread