HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

A. Kostitsyn

Old
07-10-2012, 07:54 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
You've never liked Kostitsyn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
Man, you're such a hater. I rarely think this used up meme means anything, but in your case it's perfectly accurate. This hate goes beyond mere reason.
And your point is? Who's to blame? The fisherman for putting the line in the water or the fish who bites the lure?

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 08:30 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Does anyone remember a few years back, I think before the darkest day BS, there was a report/interview on him in Montreal and it mentioned his favourite team growing up. For some reason, in my mind it was either the Wings, Devils or Caps but I may be totally wrong about that. Anyone remember that more clearly?

As for the Sharks, there were rumours last year the Sharks were interested in trading for him but I've no idea if those sources were at all credible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil X View Post
Devils could also use a top 6 winger.

How does everyone think he would look with either Kovy - Zajac or Elias - Henrique?

I dont know much about him. Would be a heavy forechecking system like we played all season and in the playoffs if that would matter.
I think he could work well in the Devils system. He can play a more intense style of game although may need the odd prompt to keep his intensity at the desired level through the course of a season. But this is based on watching him mainly get 13 minutes or less on a line with Scott Gomez for the best part of 2 seasons. Both with the Habs and Nashville, when he was given more ice time, he stepped his play up and it stayed at a good level, but he wasn't given that ice time too much with Gomez.

As for his potential play on either of those two lines mentioned, I think it comes down to how much his center gets him into the game. Andrei has worked well with a range of centers but does better when he is with someone who wants to give him the puck. Last year, Pleks was playing a more north/south, shoot on sight style game, a bit like Gionta and he and AK didn't work as well together as they had in the past when Pleks played a more creative game. With Eller, he had some success but Eller is still learning to get his wingers involved in the NHL, sometimes he takes too long to decide what to do or he just tries to do everything himself. If Andrei has at least one linemate to work plays with (preferably a center), then he can really make an impact. If he has two linemates who can be creative and work plays, he can be even better as the 07-08 season with Kovalev and Plekanec showed. If he spends time playing with someone in a giant slump like Gomez who is struggling to find his own game, let alone improve anyone elses, he can struggle.

I think AK could work well on either of those lines and could fill various roles as he did in Montreal. He can play a more forechecking, be a big body and create room roll like he did for Pleks and Cammy. He can work well in a roll as a playmaking winger which may benefit Kovalchuk a little bit, drawing attention away from him. Or he can be more of a trigger guy like he was for Eller where he also brought some more skill and creativity to the 3rd line. And in each roll he can bring some physical play and go to the net. He gets some stick for not doing this enough which I think at times is valid, but this is a guy who can be creative, make incisive passes over distance and through traffic and score from above the top of the circles. His style of play isn't geared primarily towards being at the front of the net like Hornqvist, who IMO doesn't have the skillset to be doing much else (his passing and creativity isn't great and when I watched the Preds last year, he didn't look like a guy who would step over the blueline and snipe a 40 wrister through a screen into the top corner or speed his way around the outside). AK has more to his game than simply going to the net so I can see why he wouldn't rely on that and instead he sometimes looks for space in the slot or on the perimeter to make something else happen.

As for his defensive play, IMO he is better on the backcheck than having to set up in his own zone. On the backcheck, he can use his speed and strength to win the puck back (for example, like he did a few times on Datsyuk in the playoffs, or the year before when he chased Lecavalier down, belted him to the ice and headed the other way to score a sweet goal). He does that pretty well and knows what to do in that situation. Where he has some issues is when the play is stuck in his zone. He doesn't get too involved at that (perhaps due to coaches trying to keep things simple for him) and he stays in position to cover his point and does little else until the puck comes near him or the Dman goes to the back door. Sometimes he watches the play a bit too much in that situation and gets caught out but if he is allowed to keep it simple and focus on his point, he can do okay for the most part.

As for whether New Jersey is a fit, I expect he will end up at a team that is willing to give him some stability which was important for him in Montreal and he said as much. If he can get stable linemates/icetime and someone to pass him the puck, from a hockey standpoint, I think he'd be interested. I know he's talked to Kovalchuk on and off the ice before/after Habs games against the Thrashers and Devils, perhaps they are friends? The other important issue for him (IMO) would be settling down in a city that will suit his family. He didn't want to leave Montreal, partly for the team he grew up in and partly (I suspect) for his family. Montreal seems to have a strong Russian community and is said to be more European in style than a lot of North American cities. I suspect he would be looking for something similar wherever he settles. Nashville have already said they won't persue him and that may well be their own decision but I wouldn't be surprised if Andrei had told them he would be interested in signing somewhere else. From what I know of Andrei/Nashville, I think he could find a better fit elsewhere (and I don't mean any disrespect to Nashville in saying that, I just think Andrei and his family might be more comfortable elsewhere). I also don't think Sergei is that big a factor in deciding where he ends up, but we'll have to wait and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstad101 View Post
If the Yotes or Preds gave us anything of value for Raymond I'd consider giving Kostitsin a contract at 3.5 for 1 year to prove he can be a committed hockey player and put the immature stuff behind him.
I suspect that Andrei is looking for more stability than that.

Quote:
AK46 is the type of tweener the Nucks could really make most out of.
By any chance, do you mean a former Montreal player who a lot of the fans (or at least some of the more vocal ones) wanted to get rid of, might be able to show their value while playing for the Canucks? Where could you possibly get an idea like that from?

He has played well with Higgins in the NHL on the CAT line at the end of the 06-07 season, a large reason why the Habs got close to making the playoffs down the stretch that year while the vets did very little. And also with Lappy in the AHL. They were on a line together early in the 06-07 season and AK helped Lappy put up some good stats, ML may have even been the Dogs leading scorer for a while. The line was rounded out by Zack Stortini and thanks in part to the play of the other two, even he was getting in on the scoring. There may still be some chemistry there, who knows?

Quote:
If AK could put up 100 hits, 20 goals 40 points, while playing between 15-18 minutes a night would be perfect.
That sounds perfectly reasonable for AK if he plays around 70 games and anywhere near 18 minutes a game (his seasonal average tends to be between 15-16 minutes). He's had over 100 hits in every season he spent solely in the NHL, even when he missed chunks of the season through injury. He has missed the 20 goal / 40 point mark twice. The first time he missed a quarter of the season with a knee injury where he struggled to regain his form afterwards. The second time (last year) he missed 10 games (I think that may have been a knee injury too) and he spent a lot of time getting limited minutes on Gomez's wing. Not conditions favourable for a scoring winger. This was despite showing good form on a line with Eller for the 2nd year running, he was once again taken off that line.

Last edited by Qui Gon Dave: 07-10-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:17 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

And now, what's holding Kostitsyn up?

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:27 PM
Fastasaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit3119 View Post
Gladly overpay him in Phoenix, we need to reach the cap floor.
I have a 5 mil cap hit for you in actual dollars you pay 0 for and he is available for a 7th

Fastasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:51 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
And now, what's holding Kostitsyn up?
Too easy:

Apologies

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:32 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

I can only speak for myself but as an Habs fan i don't want Kostitsyn back in Montreal. The guy has talent but his way too inconsistent. You never know which AK46 you get from game to game. Sometimes you get the guy who is all over the ice , hit and has multiple shots a game and sometimes you get the guy you wonder if he even played a shift that game when he has played 15+ minutes.

He's an enigma and i'm not sure he will ever lose that label.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:07 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
He has played well with Higgins in the NHL on the CAT line at the end of the 06-07 season, a large reason why the Habs got close to making the playoffs down the stretch that year while the vets did very little. And also with Lappy in the AHL. They were on a line together early in the 06-07 season and AK helped Lappy put up some good stats, ML may have even been the Dogs leading scorer for a while. The line was rounded out by Zack Stortini and thanks in part to the play of the other two, even he was getting in on the scoring. There may still be some chemistry there, who knows?
Had completely forgotten about that line Ah, the days when our hopes for Kostitsyn were sky high. I can understand why some posters like Habsterix can be so bitter and post worthless comments

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:11 PM
wingnutjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
Who needs a decent 2nd line winger?
How many do you think he could score with Datsyuk feeding him the puck?

wingnutjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:20 PM
PK76

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutjeff View Post
How many do you think he could score with Datsyuk feeding him the puck?
30? Just thinking about him playing with Datsyuk and having a guy like Babcock handling him makes me wish it could happen. He'd look great in that red jersey!

He'd be a good replacement for Hudler.

PK76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:38 PM
mstad101

Quote:
Does anyone remember a few years back, I think before the darkest day BS, there was a report/interview on him in Montreal and it mentioned his favourite team growing up. For some reason, in my mind it was either the Wings, Devils or Caps but I may be totally wrong about that. Anyone remember that more clearly?

As for the Sharks, there were rumours last year the Sharks were interested in trading for him but I've no idea if those sources were at all credible.

I think he could work well in the Devils system. He can play a more intense style of game although may need the odd prompt to keep his intensity at the desired level through the course of a season. But this is based on watching him mainly get 13 minutes or less on a line with Scott Gomez for the best part of 2 seasons. Both with the Habs and Nashville, when he was given more ice time, he stepped his play up and it stayed at a good level, but he wasn't given that ice time too much with Gomez.

As for his potential play on either of those two lines mentioned, I think it comes down to how much his center gets him into the game. Andrei has worked well with a range of centers but does better when he is with someone who wants to give him the puck. Last year, Pleks was playing a more north/south, shoot on sight style game, a bit like Gionta and he and AK didn't work as well together as they had in the past when Pleks played a more creative game. With Eller, he had some success but Eller is still learning to get his wingers involved in the NHL, sometimes he takes too long to decide what to do or he just tries to do everything himself. If Andrei has at least one linemate to work plays with (preferably a center), then he can really make an impact. If he has two linemates who can be creative and work plays, he can be even better as the 07-08 season with Kovalev and Plekanec showed. If he spends time playing with someone in a giant slump like Gomez who is struggling to find his own game, let alone improve anyone elses, he can struggle.

I think AK could work well on either of those lines and could fill various roles as he did in Montreal. He can play a more forechecking, be a big body and create room roll like he did for Pleks and Cammy. He can work well in a roll as a playmaking winger which may benefit Kovalchuk a little bit, drawing attention away from him. Or he can be more of a trigger guy like he was for Eller where he also brought some more skill and creativity to the 3rd line. And in each roll he can bring some physical play and go to the net. He gets some stick for not doing this enough which I think at times is valid, but this is a guy who can be creative, make incisive passes over distance and through traffic and score from above the top of the circles. His style of play isn't geared primarily towards being at the front of the net like Hornqvist, who IMO doesn't have the skillset to be doing much else (his passing and creativity isn't great and when I watched the Preds last year, he didn't look like a guy who would step over the blueline and snipe a 40 wrister through a screen into the top corner or speed his way around the outside). AK has more to his game than simply going to the net so I can see why he wouldn't rely on that and instead he sometimes looks for space in the slot or on the perimeter to make something else happen.

As for his defensive play, IMO he is better on the backcheck than having to set up in his own zone. On the backcheck, he can use his speed and strength to win the puck back (for example, like he did a few times on Datsyuk in the playoffs, or the year before when he chased Lecavalier down, belted him to the ice and headed the other way to score a sweet goal). He does that pretty well and knows what to do in that situation. Where he has some issues is when the play is stuck in his zone. He doesn't get too involved at that (perhaps due to coaches trying to keep things simple for him) and he stays in position to cover his point and does little else until the puck comes near him or the Dman goes to the back door. Sometimes he watches the play a bit too much in that situation and gets caught out but if he is allowed to keep it simple and focus on his point, he can do okay for the most part.

As for whether New Jersey is a fit, I expect he will end up at a team that is willing to give him some stability which was important for him in Montreal and he said as much. If he can get stable linemates/icetime and someone to pass him the puck, from a hockey standpoint, I think he'd be interested. I know he's talked to Kovalchuk on and off the ice before/after Habs games against the Thrashers and Devils, perhaps they are friends? The other important issue for him (IMO) would be settling down in a city that will suit his family. He didn't want to leave Montreal, partly for the team he grew up in and partly (I suspect) for his family. Montreal seems to have a strong Russian community and is said to be more European in style than a lot of North American cities. I suspect he would be looking for something similar wherever he settles. Nashville have already said they won't persue him and that may well be their own decision but I wouldn't be surprised if Andrei had told them he would be interested in signing somewhere else. From what I know of Andrei/Nashville, I think he could find a better fit elsewhere (and I don't mean any disrespect to Nashville in saying that, I just think Andrei and his family might be more comfortable elsewhere). I also don't think Sergei is that big a factor in deciding where he ends up, but we'll have to wait and see.

By any chance, do you mean a former Montreal player who a lot of the fans (or at least some of the more vocal ones) wanted to get rid of, might be able to show their value while playing for the Canucks? Where could you possibly get an idea like that from?

That sounds perfectly reasonable for AK if he plays around 70 games and anywhere near 18 minutes a game (his seasonal average tends to be between 15-16 minutes). He's had over 100 hits in every season he spent solely in the NHL, even when he missed chunks of the season through injury. He has missed the 20 goal / 40 point mark twice. The first time he missed a quarter of the season with a knee injury where he struggled to regain his form afterwards. The second time (last year) he missed 10 games (I think that may have been a knee injury too) and he spent a lot of time getting limited minutes on Gomez's wing. Not conditions favourable for a scoring winger. This was despite showing good form on a line with Eller for the 2nd year running, he was once again taken off that line.
See the problem I have with committing to more than 1 year is because I'd like to see he can prove to be a mature professional and be committed to be a solid player.

If he could do exactly what I said while showing none of these problems he's had before, I'd offer him 4 by 4 the following season.

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:43 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Kostitsyn will give you about 40% great games and 60% invisibility. That is the pattern in his game logs. That is what you'll get.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:44 PM
Edgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Knee View Post
I can only speak for myself but as an Habs fan i don't want Kostitsyn back in Montreal. The guy has talent but his way too inconsistent. You never know which AK46 you get from game to game. Sometimes you get the guy who is all over the ice , hit and has multiple shots a game and sometimes you get the guy you wonder if he even played a shift that game when he has played 15+ minutes.

He's an enigma and i'm not sure he will ever lose that label.
I for one disagree with you. I'd love to have him back on the Habs. The guy loved it here, repeatedly said he did not wish to be traded.

He's a consistent 20 goals/50 points guy that does not shy away from throwing his body around and getting his nose dirty in the corners. All he needs is decent line mates and play time. Keep him away from Gomez and stop playing him 4th line minutes and he should be just fine.

Quote:
See the problem I have with committing to more than 1 year is because I'd like to see he can prove to be a mature professional and be committed to be a solid player.

If he could do exactly what I said while showing none of these problems he's had before, I'd offer him 4 by 4 the following season.
This is actually a pretty decent idea.

Edgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:54 PM
deckercky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
Wouldn't mind him on the second line for the Canucks. If the Doan thing doesn't work, he might be a good consolation prize. Booth Kesler and AK could work, maybe?
I kind of think the Doan thing is such a crapshoot that it might make more sense to offer a contract to AK now while there isn't demand. With Doan, Semin, Nash and Ryan potentially moving, there'll be some suitors who don't get a prize in the end. Either someone is desperate for a top 6 winger at that point and overpays for AK, or the perceived attitude problems are too much and his market bottoms out forcing him to take a cheap contract to hope for a payday next year. Offer him a 1-2 year $3M or so cap hit contract now and get a solid piece for cheap rather than a $5M cap hit on a 3-5 year 35+ contract in Doan.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:56 PM
otto bond

Would take him back in Montreal. But obviously, it's not the right thing. He just should have never left.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:12 PM
Gilligans Island

I'd like to see the Sharks get AK. Could be an ideal 3rd line winger.

What kind of deal is he looking for?

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:20 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
I'd like to see the Sharks get AK. Could be an ideal 3rd line winger.

What kind of deal is he looking for?
One that doesn't have him playing as a 3rd line winger.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
One that doesn't have him playing as a 3rd line winger.
He could get top 6 time if he earns it.

So... what's he looking for? Anybody hear of anything.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:

His last contract was 3.25, so probably around there.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:

Money isn't the issue that needs to be addressed here, which is why I said what I said.

If money was the big issue he would already be signed by a KHL team.

That probably blows a big hole in your mind but AK is that kind of guy.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Aaah the CAT line... Such amazing memories. That behind-the-back pass to Plekanec on the rush, amazing...

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:43 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

I really think some team is going to sign Kostitsyn and be really surprised with how well he does for them.

I wish it'd be Montreal but that doesn't look likely to happen.

Him and Eller were playing SOOOOOOO good together for a few weeks there last season.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:48 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
I really think some team is going to sign Kostitsyn and be really surprised with how well he does for them.

Him and Eller were playing SOOOOOOO good together for a few weeks there last season.
So you want to sign him because he showed up to play for a few weeks??

Does he get a pass for the other weeks he just floated around on the ice?

PASS!!!

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:51 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:

Wow.... Congratulations!!!

You've put more effort into this post than Kostitsyn put s into a hockey game!

he's a BUM... Okay a talented Bum....

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:59 PM
kovatroll*
David Clarkson ✘👎

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
So you want to sign him because he showed up to play for a few weeks??

Does he get a pass for the other weeks he just floated around on the ice?

PASS!!!
He was probably just following the example set by some of the older guys on the team.

kovatroll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:13 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post

He only got play with Eller for these few games...

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote