HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

A. Kostitsyn

Old
07-14-2012, 02:20 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

vCash: 500
He has terrific hands, good speed, and is built like a tank. When he hits you on the forecheck, you will feel it.

With all the tools he has, there's no excuse for him not put up more points than he does. He usually finds his way into a doghouse at some point for one reason or another. He's a very tantalizing talent, though.

To hide his inconsistencies, he's best used as a 3rd line winger that has some skill, but he certainly has 1st line tools.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:34 PM
PK76

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Babcock would kill him.
Babcock actually said during the last playoffs that the AK acquisition was a very underrated move by the Preds at the deadline. That everybody was talking about the Gill and Gaustaud acquisitions but that getting a guy like AK sure boosts your team. I tried finding the article in which he said that but couldn't find it.

PK76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:38 PM
le_sean

He definitely deserves an NHL contract. He gets a bad reputation, but I don't know why. People call him lazy, I think he's just inconsistent and lacks hockey sense. He doesn't complain and is good for 20 goals a season. I'd certainly take him back in Montreal, he was great with Eller and Moen.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:53 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabzFanatik71 View Post
Babcock actually said during the last playoffs that the AK acquisition was a very underrated move by the Preds at the deadline. That everybody was talking about the Gill and Gaustaud acquisitions but that getting a guy like AK sure boosts your team. I tried finding the article in which he said that but couldn't find it.
Quote:
Kostitsyn, whose brother Sergei also plays for the Predators, was acquired at the trade deadline from Montreal. Detroit coach Mike Babcock cited his presence on the third line as a reason why Nashville won that series, as the Red Wings could not match the Predators' depth. He scored a goal in Game 2.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=630287

There you go.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 04:00 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
He definitely deserves an NHL contract. He gets a bad reputation, but I don't know why. People call him lazy, I think he's just inconsistent and lacks hockey sense. He doesn't complain and is good for 20 goals a season. I'd certainly take him back in Montreal, he was great with Eller and Moen.
Plus when Galchenyuk is ready he can replace Moen instead of the garbage he'll likely be stuck with otherwise.

I'm already having doubts about Bergevin. I'm not so sure his "have patience" strategy is going to fly in Montreal. Last year under Gauthier by week three or week four of the regular season the organization was completely under siege and well on it's way to being flushed down the toilet.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 04:08 PM
sheed36

Quote:
I wouldn't mind if he came back either.. Kinda surprised he hasn't been signed by someone already.. I'd like him back with the Habs but if not I think he'd be a good fit with the Pens if they can't sign Semin like as been rumored.

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:11 PM
Fuelled by Passion

Actually I believe Babcock said that acquisition of AK was most important piece added by Nashville. This was after Gill, Goose and Radu were added.

Fuelled by Passion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:20 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
I would not take him back.
He does not fit the MB mold.
And if you are going to break your mindset for a player they need to be a star/game breaker.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:15 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Babcock may very well want AK in Detroit but would Holland want him?

That being said, perhaps Detroit actually went so far as to give an actual offer to AK... but AK hasn't decided whether he'd sign just yet.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
This. Habs still need some goals IMHO, and at this point, I'd take Kostitsyn at something like his old salary, just because there isn't much else out there. My only catch is that I wouldn't offer him a multi-year deal, because I'm really just looking for a temporary band-aid. I don't suppose he's desperate enough that he has to settle for that. But if he was... yeah, I'd have no trouble taking him back. Not every player has to be smart and gung-ho. Especially in short-term roles. He brings something useful to us, even if he's not anybody's ideal.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:04 AM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Yes well Detroit seems to be more interested in Modano coming back out of retirement than AK. That tells you how much that quote is important.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:08 AM
PK76

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Yes well Detroit seems to be more interested in Modano coming back out of retirement than AK. That tells you how much that quote is important.
I doubt that a 40-year-old Modano would cost them 3.5-4M, maybe that's why.

PK76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:11 AM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
I doubt that a 40-year-old Modano would cost them 3.5-4M, maybe that's why.
Yes well, provided the cap stays around the same justified by revenues, they have plenty of space left.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:12 PM
the

I think that the team that picks him up are going to be happy with him, he has a lot of talent and wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with 60 points next season.

the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 01:38 AM
Habsrback

Agreed. AK for 2 years @ 3.25M per would bring in 25 goals and 200 hits. Given the added toughness, he might even do better. Get him back home. Therrien will be able to handle him.

Habsrback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 01:43 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsrback View Post
Agreed. AK for 2 years @ 3.25M per would bring in 25 goals and 200 hits. Given the added toughness, he might even do better. Get him back home. Therrien will be able to handle him.
He can probably get 4 per year for 2 years. PAP got 4 per for 4 years and while better offensively AK is more physical. AK is worth about the same.

Old
07-16-2012, 09:21 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsrback View Post
C'mon. If teams really thought there was a 27 y/o, physical, 25 goal scoring winger on the UFA market, he would have been locked up on day one.

There are two scenarios here:

1. AK is looking for absurd money.

2. GM's don't think he's that player and the cons outweigh the pros by enough of a margin to keep them away.

He's a very talented player, but he has rocks in his head. It's a little late in the game for GM's to be hoping they can turn him around. If he hasn't matured by age 27, the likelihood of him doing so is slim-to-none.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:30 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
C'mon. If teams really thought there was a 27 y/o, physical, 25 goal scoring winger on the UFA market, he would have been locked up on day one.

2. GM's don't think he's that player and the cons outweigh the pros by enough of a margin to keep them away.

He's a very talented player, but he has rocks in his head. It's a little late in the game for GM's to be hoping they can turn him around. If he hasn't matured by age 27, the likelihood of him doing so is slim-to-none.
AK is a complimentary player. While he was once projected to be a game-breaker, he is now more of a solid complimentary piece to an existing duo.

The issue is, many GMs/Coaches are trying to figure out what the original duos are first then they'll seek out the complimentary pieces.

It isn't to say Plekanec can't be part of a duo as he was with Plekanec, but it's different as a free agent and already being in the system.

Old
07-16-2012, 09:45 AM
Von Malkin*

He'd play on the pens top 2 lines. He's a much better option than dupuis, kennedy or tangradi.

Von Malkin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:48 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Malkin View Post
He'd play on the pens top 2 lines. He's a much better option than dupuis, kennedy or tangradi.
He would and might be a solid fit with malkin and neal.

Old
07-18-2012, 07:28 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Would the Sabres even want AK?

I remember some Detroit fans not willing to kick the tires on AK (despite Babcock that could do so) because AK would prevent some youngsters from making the big team.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:55 AM
Habsrback

Quote:

The reason GM's aren't rushing to sign him is because he is tagged as a player that does not show up all the time, but I do think that he deserves to be coached, which was not the case the minute that Jacques Martin and co' came in with their "dump and play well without the puck" $&@&@ system. He does have rocks in his head, but, contrary to players earmarked for the same reason, does show up when games are physical and gets hit. If not, you won't see him. He needs strong monitoring, which is why he will not get contracts over two years...but his talent, when (occasionally) matched with effort, puts hin right up there with the top wingers. Let's see what Therrien and Gallant can get out of him. 2 years/3.25 per is a potential steal with little downside.

Habsrback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:31 AM
BJCOLLINS

Quote:

THANK YOU....your clarity of thought is refreshing.

What the AK fan boys fail to recognize is that this player has a million dollar shot with a 5 cent head.

I, like many other Hab fans said this back in 03. At least we managed to get prospect Dalton Thrower in return for the UFA dump. If Thrower can be a 5-6 D it will take a little of the sting away from the 03 draft.

The definition of insanity is "doing the same thing and expecting different results" Good bye AK.

BJCOLLINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:52 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCOLLINS View Post
THANK YOU....your clarity of thought is refreshing.

What the AK fan boys fail to recognize is that this player has a million dollar shot with a 5 cent head.

I, like many other Hab fans said this back in 03. At least we managed to get prospect Dalton Thrower in return for the UFA dump. If Thrower can be a 5-6 D it will take a little of the sting away from the 03 draft.

The definition of insanity is "doing the same thing and expecting different results" Good bye AK.
But I don't think anybody *is* expecting different results. Nor do I think that many people have challenged your characterization of Kostitsyn since 03. He does not have "fanboys". We know he's what he is. The thing is, even knowing all that, we look at him, we look at the available alternatives, we look at our lineup... and... well, he's still a player who could help our team. As highly imperfect as he is. I'd still take AK back, at the right price, for 1 year, knowing everything there is to know about him as a player, and then having Thrower too just makes it all the better.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:46 AM
Coach Brisebois*

Quote:

He doesn't need to be turned around, he's a good player. what exactly do you want from him?

Coach Brisebois* is offline   Reply With Quote