HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Denver hockey market

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-09-2012, 10:01 AM
  #26
SB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTheGreat View Post
More High Schools have hockey teams than when I was a kid (I honestly didn't know of any HS teams when I was in school in the early 90's).
CHSAA discontinued hockey in the late 80s ... there was a thriving hockey league during the 70s and 80s. (I'm not sure how many high schools participated, there are SO many more high schools now than there were then.) Fan behavior had deteriorated to the point that they just threw out the sport. (That was back when 18-year-olds could buy beer, too, if you get my point.)

I think some schools (the mountain towns?) probably still continued to have club teams, but I moved away in the 90s, so I don't know for sure. oh, and there is that non-sanctioned league that is loosely based on high schools, but not part of the official state high school organization, High Plains, I think. Not sure how long that has been around, but probably not all of 90s.


Last edited by SB: 07-09-2012 at 10:08 AM.
SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:19 AM
  #27
hawk30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Aurora, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB View Post
CHSAA discontinued hockey in the late 80s ... there was a thriving hockey league during the 70s and 80s. (I'm not sure how many high schools participated, there are SO many more high schools now than there were then.) Fan behavior had deteriorated to the point that they just threw out the sport. (That was back when 18-year-olds could buy beer, too, if you get my point.)

I think some schools (the mountain towns?) probably still continued to have club teams, but I moved away in the 90s, so I don't know for sure. oh, and there is that non-sanctioned league that is loosely based on high schools, but not part of the official state high school organization, High Plains, I think. Not sure how long that has been around, but probably not all of 90s.
Almost positive that it was not CHSAA that discontinued high school hockey, but the metro area public schools themselves. High school hockey continued and thrived in Colorado Springs at places like Cheyenne Mountain.

CHSAA now has 29 or so schools, including more metro area schools nearly every year. Cherry Creek is joining this year. Heritage (combined Littleton team) did about 5 years or so ago. Mountain Vista (combined Doug Co team) was new last year. The Jeffco schools (Ralston Valley, Standley Lake, Chatfield, Columbine, Dakota Ridge) have had teams for even longer. Regis, Valor, Mullen, Kent, and Machebeuf maintain programs too.

The level of play is hit or miss. Many programs have never taken it seriously and simply aren't competitive and don't seem to mind. Others, like Regis, have built excellent programs by any standard. Some notable players have come through the league, such as Massa (Machebeuf) at Nebraska-Omaha and Doremus (Aspen) at DU, but it's not and probably never will be a serious developmental alternative to USA hockey.

My personal opinion is that at its best it's better hockey than Tier II from a competitive point of view. But since seasons are only 19 games, about 3 months long, with maybe 3 practices per week, and no JV teams, it's not serious enough from a developmental point of view. CHSAA also makes it extremely difficult for teams to compete against USA hockey teams or in USA hockey tournaments, limiting exposure.

The High Plains league started about 2004 would be my guess. It's still pretty much recreational. Watching games is like watching beer league. It's spring ice time for club hockey players to wear school colors and work on their dangles, basically.

hawk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:50 PM
  #28
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29
 
Avs For Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
Fans are not showing up anymore in Denver because the Avs aren't taking more aggressive approach for committing to winning like they did in the old days.

Many fans believe the ownership has gone cheap, and they just don't care. It's not that the team is losing fans not showing up, ts more like the organization isn't showing any signs that they are ready to do everything for the team to be a winner again.

I can't blame the fans.
What is sad about this is that the Rockies have ALWAYS been cheap, and fans still show for them...

The Denver market frustrates me to no end. On the local sports radio station called The Fan, Avs talk is rare and hard to find. Even when Mike Hanes comes in to hang out or even Mozur. I JUST WANT TO HEAR ABOUT MAH AVS. Yet they talk non stop about the Rockies, Nuggets, and of course the Broncos. I love the Broncos so thats ok, but who cares about a baseball team on pace to lose 100 games this season? The NBA is a joke and the AVS will win another Cup before the Nuggets EVER win a championship because of the way the NBA is set up.

ok im dont ranting, sorry

Avs For Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 04:47 PM
  #29
Steve Varmalov
And Then....
 
Steve Varmalov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boulder
Country: United States
Posts: 1,788
vCash: 500
Denver is a great sport city and will go to any sporting event (no matter what it is (2010 Curling Olympics Trials (in Denver) broke US attendance records)).

But the truth of it is Denver is and always will be a football town, no matter what any other team does. Broncos will always be the 'hot ticket' in town.

The rest of the teams will get good attendances when they are winning (ex. Avs from 1995-2004, Rockies from 2007-2009, Nuggets from 2006-now) but if they aren't winning people with forget about them and more on to the next team. Town full of bandwagon fans, sad but true

Ranking:
1. Broncos
......
47th. Rockies (believe Denver is more of a baseball town than hockey)
48th. Avs
49th. Nuggets
......
73rd. Mammoth, Rapids, Outlaws, Eagles, etc

Steve Varmalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:09 PM
  #30
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind
 
RTN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by foppagirl21 View Post
I graduated from UBC!

The non-NHL market is the exact same way- if the team is winning, people will get all excited and show up. Case in point the Denver Pioneers hockey team. When they were winning (what, 2004-6? cannot remember the years), people were talking about them all the time. Some of my closest friends went to DU and CC and of course they enjoyed the hockey programs there. But for outsiders, unless the team is winning, no one really cares. Seriously, the Denver Broncos are the only team in Denver that has support when playing terribly.
Congrats on graduating. I'm finishing my last semester at SFU!

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:19 PM
  #31
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29
 
Avs For Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
What an ignorant comment.
How is that an ignorant comment? I listen to that station fairly consistently. I enjoy hearing about the broncos. I dont enjoy hearing about the Rockies and Nuggets...

I would much rather hear about the Avs over all 3.

Avs For Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:32 PM
  #32
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 5,004
vCash: 500
You wanna hear what you wanna hear. Biased view. Whocares about Nuggets and Rockies when you have the effin Broncos. Everyone has the effin broncos to listen to.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 06:04 PM
  #33
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29
 
Avs For Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
You wanna hear what you wanna hear. Biased view. Whocares about Nuggets and Rockies when you have the effin Broncos. Everyone has the effin broncos to listen to.
The Broncos are taking strides to winning. The Rockies are not. The owners are pathetic. When you make a statement saying that your GM is head and shoulders ABOVE all the other GMs in the league...WHEN YOU DONT EVEN KNOW WHO THEY ALL ARE, that is pathetic. Our GM has had 3 winning seasons in a 13 year career with the team. I cant support owners like that. In baseball you are only as good as your starting pitcher, yet the Rockies wont spend money on pitching. Thus the reason they are horrible right now.

Basketball is no longer the game I grew up loving. It is no longer a team game. Currently it consists of having a superstar, passing it to them, and waiting for them to shoot. That is not enjoyable for me so I dont support the NBA. While the Nuggets play a team game unlike most of the competitive teams, it is still hard for me to watch due to the fact that the refs dont call a consistent game. Flops and fouls are never called the same for each player, and I understand that that is part of the human aspect of sports, but its even worse in the NBA.

When you tune into the fan, you have 1 former bronco as a host, 2 rockies anouncers as hosts, and 1 nuggets anouncer as a host. NO AVS, or people associated with the Avs unless once in a blue moon Hanes or Mozure sit in for a show. Over the summer, the avs have been talked about for MAYBE 2 hours total. Most of that was from the news that Super Joe made it to the HOF. There is only so much talking about a horrible team like the Rockies that I can take. We get it, they suck, lets move on. When they talk about the Nuggets, it becomes the same conversation EVERY TIME. Well until they get a superstar, they probably wont win. IT GETS OLD. Its the same conversation EVERY DAY. I dont mind some talk about those teams, I really dont, but it has been the same for about 3 months now, and they wont even touch on the Avs...

So Im sorry that the most interesting conversations they have revolve around the Broncos and the Avs. If that makes me ignorant in your eyes, so be it. However you should know where a person is coming from before making a statement like that.

Avs For Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 06:11 PM
  #34
SB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk30 View Post
Almost positive that it was not CHSAA that discontinued high school hockey, but the metro area public schools themselves. High school hockey continued and thrived in Colorado Springs at places like Cheyenne Mountain.

CHSAA now has 29 or so schools, including more metro area schools nearly every year. Cherry Creek is joining this year. Heritage (combined Littleton team) did about 5 years or so ago. Mountain Vista (combined Doug Co team) was new last year. The Jeffco schools (Ralston Valley, Standley Lake, Chatfield, Columbine, Dakota Ridge) have had teams for even longer. Regis, Valor, Mullen, Kent, and Machebeuf maintain programs too.
....
You're probably right ... like I said, I was gone then. I understood that they had reverted to club status, but still competed, and returned to the CHSAA fold more recently.

SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 06:20 PM
  #35
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 5,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs For Life View Post
The Broncos are taking strides to winning. The Rockies are not. The owners are pathetic. When you make a statement saying that your GM is head and shoulders ABOVE all the other GMs in the league...WHEN YOU DONT EVEN KNOW WHO THEY ALL ARE, that is pathetic. Our GM has had 3 winning seasons in a 13 year career with the team. I cant support owners like that. In baseball you are only as good as your starting pitcher, yet the Rockies wont spend money on pitching. Thus the reason they are horrible right now.

Basketball is no longer the game I grew up loving. It is no longer a team game. Currently it consists of having a superstar, passing it to them, and waiting for them to shoot. That is not enjoyable for me so I dont support the NBA. While the Nuggets play a team game unlike most of the competitive teams, it is still hard for me to watch due to the fact that the refs dont call a consistent game. Flops and fouls are never called the same for each player, and I understand that that is part of the human aspect of sports, but its even worse in the NBA.

When you tune into the fan, you have 1 former bronco as a host, 2 rockies anouncers as hosts, and 1 nuggets anouncer as a host. NO AVS, or people associated with the Avs unless once in a blue moon Hanes or Mozure sit in for a show. Over the summer, the avs have been talked about for MAYBE 2 hours total. Most of that was from the news that Super Joe made it to the HOF. There is only so much talking about a horrible team like the Rockies that I can take. We get it, they suck, lets move on. When they talk about the Nuggets, it becomes the same conversation EVERY TIME. Well until they get a superstar, they probably wont win. IT GETS OLD. Its the same conversation EVERY DAY. I dont mind some talk about those teams, I really dont, but it has been the same for about 3 months now, and they wont even touch on the Avs...

So Im sorry that the most interesting conversations they have revolve around the Broncos and the Avs. If that makes me ignorant in your eyes, so be it. However you should know where a person is coming from before making a statement like that.
Now you're understanding why I hate the Broncos.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 06:42 PM
  #36
Colorado Sports Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Denver, Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 5,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Varmalov View Post
73rd. Mammoth, Rapids, Outlaws, Eagles, etc
I don't think you can really count the Eagles. They aren't really a "Denver" sports team. I don't even think they are ever on television.

Colorado Sports Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 06:45 PM
  #37
iAvs
JUST WIN
 
iAvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Country: Italy
Posts: 7,474
vCash: 500
The Broncos have been giving the media reason to cover them intensely (Tebow, and now Manning? Easy team to cover). The Avs have been quietly rebuilding this team, and BARELY marketing their young talent. I saw a picture of a billboard that was up just prior to the season starting. What else have the Avs done to say "Hey! Remember us?!"

People can be bitter all they want, but the Broncos have been giving people reason to talk.

iAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 06:45 PM
  #38
KodiakArrest
MacWinnin'
 
KodiakArrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Loveland, Colorado
Country: Germany
Posts: 478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Sports Fan View Post
I don't think you can really count the Eagles. They aren't really a "Denver" sports team. I don't even think they are ever on television.
Living in Loveland (which is technically the city the Eagles are from) you only notice the Eagles when it's their Subway Sub campaign or the huge 4 page highlights every weekend in the Reporter Herald. They are pretty cheap tickets and the team is fun to watch but they get no real attention.

KodiakArrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 06:48 PM
  #39
iAvs
JUST WIN
 
iAvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Country: Italy
Posts: 7,474
vCash: 500
While we're on the subject of the Avs popularity, does anyone honestly think the Avs would have been such a hit had they not won the Cup immediately and had a power house roster for a long period?

Colorado was gift wrapped a Championship team. A lot of people supported them just because of that fact. Once the Avs came back down to earth, it showed us who were just bandwagon/casual fans. And there were a lot!

iAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 07:10 PM
  #40
FoppaForsberg*
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAvs View Post
While we're on the subject of the Avs popularity, does anyone honestly think the Avs would have been such a hit had they not won the Cup immediately and had a power house roster for a long period?

Colorado was gift wrapped a Championship team. A lot of people supported them just because of that fact. Once the Avs came back down to earth, it showed us who were just bandwagon/casual fans. And there were a lot!
That's like any teams fan base ( Outside of the Canada) when you win, you attract fans, when you don't only the die hard fans will show.

FoppaForsberg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 07:15 PM
  #41
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Hasbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Rectangle
Country: Sami
Posts: 30,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAvs View Post
The Broncos have been giving the media reason to cover them intensely (Tebow, and now Manning? Easy team to cover). The Avs have been quietly rebuilding this team, and BARELY marketing their young talent. I saw a picture of a billboard that was up just prior to the season starting. What else have the Avs done to say "Hey! Remember us?!"

People can be bitter all they want, but the Broncos have been giving people reason to talk.
Yeah the Avs prickly public demeanor has come home to roost. Lacroix needs to step asideand the organization needs to be less insular.

It also doesn't help that tickets are still so high. DU and CC still draw well and in large part thanks to affordability.

Hasbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 07:19 PM
  #42
Ceremony
Moderator
There is Only You
 
Ceremony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 77,315
vCash: 18974
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAvs View Post
While we're on the subject of the Avs popularity, does anyone honestly think the Avs would have been such a hit had they not won the Cup immediately and had a power house roster for a long period?

Colorado was gift wrapped a Championship team. A lot of people supported them just because of that fact. Once the Avs came back down to earth, it showed us who were just bandwagon/casual fans. And there were a lot!
Well when you've got a superstar-laden team winning two championships in the first five years of their existence, you're setting a rather large bar to try and reach again.

Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 08:34 PM
  #43
SuperTheGreat
Swim Instructor
 
SuperTheGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAvs View Post
It's tough seeing mediocre crowds at Pepsi Center. I'm not going to sympathize with people who aren't going because the Avs don't have a winning team. What kind of fan is that? You only show up when the Avs are a Cup team? People have no problem spending money on Broncos games when they were missing the playoffs or getting killed by better, Super Bowl teams.

Maybe the truth of the matter is, the Avs only have a small section of hardcore fans who will support the team through a rebuild period. Ask any fan who had season tix during the Cup years and don't go anymore if thay can name anyone on the team these days. These are the same people who only knew Sakic, Forsberg, & Roy... aka "BANDWAGON FANS". The Avs had a lot of these and now we're seeing who the real fans are.

No matter, when the Avs start winning again, seats will fill. Just ask the Blackhawks & the Penguins.
I see your point about support-and being a selective fan in that regard. But I guess I take exception to the idea that one who doesn't attend games isn't a real fan, or in this case, someone who attends more games when the team is competitive and fewer when the team is not, isn't a real or hardcore fan. I am one of those fans who goes to more games when the team is competitive, and far fewer when they are not, but anyone who knows me wouldn't ever consider questioning my passion as a fan for this team. I have watched every single game that has been televised since 1998 (and watched the majority in 1997), and listened on the radio to the games that weren't televised and have gone as far as recording hundreds of games on VCR and watching with friends when we all worked late shifts through college, and later on DVR watching after my kids are in bed. I pay a little extra $ to make sure my satellite package includes FS Rocky Mountain/Altitude, OLN/Versus/NBCSN, and NHL network. I spend $ on merchandise...hats, hoodies, jackets, and jerseys for myself and my two young boys. I even built a pimped out Avs Zamboni bed for my 5 year old. I bleed burgundy & blue, but money is tight and it's difficult to justify spending the money asked for a professional sports ticket.

I suppose my point is that I consider myself an absolute fanatic about the Avalanche and hockey, as does anyone who knows me, but I don't equate passion and love of a team with ticket sales and in-person game attendance. If I had more money to spend, I'd go to more games. If the avs were winning, I'd probably be more likely to shift money and do without in other areas to force the budget into affordability. I just find it hard to justify spending money, scheduling time away from my family (or even more expensive, dropping cash on 4 tickets) when I can equally expect to be disappointed as satisfied in the outcome of the event I attend. I know there are more out there like me.

SuperTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.