HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rick Nash continued - Portzline: NYR PHI PIT DET SJS and BOS

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2012, 11:15 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash for Nash View Post
This is nonsense.

He would be the roster player on your entire team (goalie excluded).
Only Gaborik might rival him and that is very debateable.
Please tell me what drugs you are on because I need some of those.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:15 PM
Cash for Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
Ya think?
Yes I do.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:16 PM
Cash for Nash

Quote:
Please tell me what drugs you are on because I need some of those.
Who is better?

Old
07-08-2012, 11:17 PM
N o o d l e s

Quote:
Originally Posted by psupens View Post
take a chill pill. if it makes you feel any better, i, as a Pens fan, wouldn't even make that offer. i don't want Nash in Pittsburgh for $7.8M per year, let alone by giving up what Columbus apparently wants.
Take a chill pill? You serious? You just made my point completely. You said you have no interest in giving up what it would take to get Nash, which is how I said Pens fans (and management would likely feel). I'm sorry but the fact is that the Pens are a good team because of the pieces they have now. However, not many (if any) of those pieces are expendable. You rely a lot on your top 6. There's not a lot of movable pieces to be made available on the current roster, especially defensively.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:18 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by N O O D L E S View Post
I agree with you and Machinehead that you obviously want both, but depending on the return to CBJ I think it could benefit NY if Nash is able to produce (obviously ). I honestly wonder, though, if Sather is going to get what he wants in the end. The longer things drag on and the longer teams refuse to meet his needs he's going to have to let up sometime. I wonder if any GM's will bite before that.
I think if you put a gun to Slats head, he is 100% comfortable rolling the dice with this years squad and seeing what opens up at the trade deadline. Having CK with the team all year + a bounceback year from Dubinsky (can't be any worse) is like making a trade for decent scorer. If you can get Nash, great, but don't put your team backwards for it to happen.

I said previously, this is not a hockey trade for hockey trade sakes. It's a salary dump/rebuilding move hence I highly doubt Howson gets anything close to what he imagines. At some point he will either have to take the best offer out there or just stop the trade talks all together (which I am not so sure will happen).

Old
07-08-2012, 11:19 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Who is better?
Gabby is equal to Nash.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:19 PM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
There is something called opportunity cost. In this case we can measure it in minutes of ice time. If I am using double the minutes (via two players) to get the production I could from one player (the 40 goal scorer), then I am not doing well, because the player that I give time to when I have the 40 goal scorer is surely going to score some as well.

If every single hockey player in the world was guaranteed to score 20 goals a year in the NHL, except for one guy who scored 30 every year, he'd be worth ten of any other player in the league. Because every team gets the same number of minutes of ice time per year, and that is the only guy who produces at a greater clip than anyone else. That is an exaggerated example to make my point, but I think you get it. There are **** loads of guys who can fill smaller offensive and defensive roles on a team. There aren't that many real stars.

That said, Nash is bringing home some serious loot cakes right now. Do not want from a Philly perspective. Hell of a player though.
I think people are underrating how difficult it is to find two 20 goal guys just lying around. Certainly not what I would call **** loads.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:20 PM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

Quote:
Gabby is equal to Nash.
That's being very generous to Nash.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:20 PM
Cash for Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
Oh dear. I'm a "boner." This coming from the "expert" on the Rangers system who apparently hasn't watched a Rangers game in years. However shall I cope. BTW- It's "Staal" and "Del Zotto." And neither of them can play the LW.

Rewind three years and replace "Johansen" with "Filatov." Rewind another year or two and replace "Filatov" with "Voracek and Brassard." Noticing a trend? I hope Johansen works out for your team. I'm just pointing out that the Blue Jackets' scouting and development history isn't such that you should be scoffing at top-5 prospects in the Rangers' MUCH more accomplished development system.
Voracek was coming along fine. Brassard inconsistent but not a bad 2nd line center.
Filatov and Zherdev were Russian disasters.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:21 PM
Cash for Nash

Quote:
Gabby is equal to Nash.
Alright...who else then? I said Gabby was debateable.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:22 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
That's being very generous to Nash.
I thought so too

Old
07-08-2012, 11:23 PM
N o o d l e s

Quote:
I think if you put a gun to Slats head, he is 100% comfortable rolling the dice with this years squad and seeing what opens up at the trade deadline. Having CK with the team all year + a bounceback year from Dubinsky (can't be any worse) is like making a trade for decent scorer. If you can get Nash, great, but don't put your team backwards for it to happen.

I said previously, this is not a hockey trade for hockey trade sakes. It's a salary dump/rebuilding move hence I highly doubt Howson gets anything close to what he imagines. At some point he will either have to take the best offer out there or just stop the trade talks all together (which I am not so sure will happen).
Trust me, I understand. And you're right. It's kind of like the situation the Bruins are in right now. Do you give up Krejci, Spooner, etc. etc. etc. for one player and hope he's your 40 goal guy? Probably not.

I just wonder if someone like Nash is what both teams need. I would actually argue that the Rangers need him less cause Gaborik can go off for 40 and Richards probably 30+ (which I think is what you've been saying). But I do agree you don't bend over backwards to bring in one guy. You just have to hope Kreider is the real deal and not a a flash in the pan. The NCAA season is shorter and I'm sure he was much fresher than everyone else. But still, he was impressive.

My roomate at school has some friends that grew up with him.

Old
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Richards, Callahan, McDonagh, Girardi.

Old
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

Quote:
Brad Richards is better than Rick Nash. It's not that close either.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:26 PM
smoneil

Quote:
This is nonsense.

He would be the roster player on your entire team (goalie excluded).
Only Gaborik might rival him and that is very debateable.
No, he would be the most talented roster player on the entire team (goalie excluded). He wouldn't be the most important or have the most impact.

I take a player like Brad Richards (whose Conn Smythe trophy easily trumps Nash's three-way tie for the Rocket). I take players like Stepan and Kreider, who have led teams to championships at every level. I take players like Girardi, McDonagh, Del Zotto and Staal, who have never endured a losing NHL season. I take players like Callahan and Dubinsky, who were key parts in the transformation of the Rangers from laughingstock to the best team in the East.

You are in love with talent. The fact that you continually fail to recognize that winning takes significantly MORE than just talent is the only thing that is "nonsense" (well that and the fact that you continue to post as if you have any clue about the Rangers players, after demonstrating for the whole class that the closest you've come to "seeing them play" is the photo on their stat sheet).

Old
Cash for Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Richards, Callahan, McDonagh, Girardi.
Uh no....Maybe better at blocking shots lmao.

Old
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by N O O D L E S View Post
Trust me, I understand. And you're right. It's kind of like the situation the Bruins are in right now. Do you give up Krejci, Spooner, etc. etc. etc. for one player and hope he's your 40 goal guy? Probably not.

I just wonder if someone like Nash is what both teams need. I would actually argue that the Rangers need him less cause Gaborik can go off for 40 and Richards probably 30+ (which I think is what you've been saying). But I do agree you don't bend over backwards to bring in one guy. You just have to hope Kreider is the real deal and not a a flash in the pan. The NCAA season is shorter and I'm sure he was much fresher than everyone else. But still, he was impressive.

My roomate at school has some friends that grew up with him.
If it's one thing I would put all my eggs in the basket about ... it's CK. I have a feeling he is going to be an absolute STUD.

Having said that, do the Rangers NEED Nash? No! But depth sure makes a huge impact in winning the cup. Just go ask the Penguins, Kings, Bruins, or Hawks.

Old
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tripps View Post
Nash is 28 years old. Suggesting that he has "untapped potential" is... interesting.

Though if he had a return to form, then in theory he would be a top-5 goal scorer, seeing as there were only 4 40 goal scorers last season.
The line was "untapped ability," suggesting that he'd preform better with different players, not that he'd be better in a few years by natural progression.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:27 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Uh no....Maybe better at blocking shots lmao.
or being better at the game of hockey.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:28 PM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
or being better at the game of hockey.
Callahan? I think we're pushing that one.

And he's my favorite player.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:28 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
I think people are underrating how difficult it is to find two 20 goal guys just lying around. Certainly not what I would call **** loads.
Two responses to this:

First: **** load probably seems like an overstatement, until you look at it relative to how many 40 goal scorers there are, which was the original comparison. Then **** load starts to seem whole lot more accurate, since we're speaking relatively.

Second: I am a Flyers fan, so I am probably a bit spoiled when it comes to depth scoring. Not trying to sound like a blowhard fan there, it's just the one thing the Flyers have done really well to stay in the mix as a contending team (maintain good scoring depth).

Old
07-08-2012, 11:29 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Callahan? I think we're pushing that one.

And he's my favorite player.
He was better this past year, no way around it.

Even if Nash was traded to NY, Callahan would still log the most minutes on the team and would be most important forward in the lineup.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:29 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Two responses to this:

First: **** load probably seems like an overstatement, until you look at it relative to how many 40 goal scorers there are, which was the original comparison. Then **** load starts to seem whole lot more accurate, since we're speaking relatively.

Second: I am a Flyers fan, so I am probably a bit spoiled when it comes to depth scoring. Not trying to sound like a blowhard fan there, it's just the one thing the Flyers have done really well to stay in the mix as a contending team (maintain good scoring depth).
The flyers could assemble two teams with all the firepower they have.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:30 PM
carseat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
What a terribly misinformed opinion.

As a fan of another team, I can safely say that anyone who doesn't see the benefit in adding Rick Nash needs to watch him more.

In the games against Colorado, he was the ONLY guy playing defense on his line. I specifically remember him even covering for defenders sometimes who were simply terrible. I can't even count the number of times where I've asked myself how Nash managed to get back to win the puck battle when he was just up the ice.

He has tremendous hands, the type which could score 40+ goals with a bit of chemistry and the right system. He's capable of playing a physical game and shielding the puck with extremely impressive success. He is a leader for his team and I bet he wouldn't hesitate to return to Columbus and play for them if his GM were capable of quietly shopping him rather than leaking this to the public.

Any team with the depth and prospects to sacrifice shouldn't hesitate to add him to their roster. But I'm just not sure what direction Columbus wants to go in trading him. Complete rebuild? Retool? If Nash is moved they will need more skill up front.
Not misinformed at all. Go back and read what I said - he's been raised in Columbus. That organization has been a complete failure with its player development. Nash COULD have been so much more, but fact is, he isn't. He won't be. Thats why I wouldn't trade anything more than a 1st round pick for him, what # overall is debatable. Lots of players can score 40+ with the right players/system.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:30 PM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

Quote:
Two responses to this:

Well this I'm sure has alot to do with it. I'm a Rangers fan. 20 goals to me is Rocket Richard territory

Closed Thread