HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ott prepares for new challenges with Sabres

Old
07-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Ott prepares for new challenges with Sabres

Quote:
Ott moved from Dallas, a big market that competes with three other professional sports team, in the Dallas Mavericks of the NBA, Dallas Cowboys of the NFL and the Texas Rangers of the MLB, to Buffalo, which is a small market with only an NFL team to compete with. Despite having market competition, the fan base is a ravenous group that is looking for the team to rebound from a disappointing season that saw their Sabres miss the post season by three points.

“I’m really looking forward to the atmosphere,” said Ott. “Being in a division with the Ottawa Senators, Toronto Maple Leafs, Montreal Canadiens and Boston Bruins is going to be cool. All the teams have really strong following and to be consistently playing in front of sold out crowds will be different.”
Quote:
“The adjustment (from east to west) will be phenomenal,” said Ott, who had 233 points in 174, games with the Spitfires from 1999-2002. “In the west, there’s a lot of travel. Playing in Dallas, you travel about 49,000 miles a year. Now being in Buffalo, I’ll probably cut that in half. In the east, I’ll also get to play some new teams. I’m sure the team in the west got tired of my antics anyway, so it’ll be nice to get a fresh start and to be able to build a new reputation is cool.”

With playing in Dallas, which is roughly 1,200 miles from Windsor, he had a hard time seeing family on a regular basis. Ott said his sister would come down once a year, while his parents would visit two to three times a year. In contrast, Buffalo is roughly 250 miles away.

“I like have my friends and family close to me,” said Ott. “They’re a big part of who I am and you sometimes take for granted that support when you go away. It’ll be nice to see my parents and sister on a regular basis. It’s definitely something that excites me.”
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...tml?sabrespace

Quote:
Buffalo Sabres defenceman Mike Weber might have one of the hardest jobs in the NHL this season.

The former Windsor Spitfires' captain will no doubt have to try to explain to his Sabres' teammates what to expect with Steve Ott joining the club earlier this month in a trade from Dallas.

Fortunately, being Ott's best friend, there's no one better suited to understanding the world of one of the NHL's most effective pests.

"I've had to explain him to teammates for a couple of years now," Weber joked after they finished working out at the WFCU Centre Tuesday.

"Otter has already had a lot of conflicts with guys on the team, Robyn Regehr, Jordan Leopold, Cody McCormack ...
Quote:
Ott, who turns 30 in August, smiles at having heard this all before.

"If I'm quiet, that means I'm in a bad mood," Ott said.

"What you see is what you get all the time."

Ott then explains why he thinks he's become 'closer than many blood brothers' with the 25-year-old Weber.

"Mike moved into our house when he was 15 and I was just coming back from my first year in the NHL," Ott said.

"We've been like brothers the last seven or eight years. He never left my parents' house until he was getting married (a year ago).

"Even though we were different age, I think we became close because I saw in him the same willingness to work hard that I had. It was fun being a role model to him.

"Now, as he's grown up, he's a role model to me too. I really look up to him because of how hard he's worked to get where he is. It's hard keeping up with his work ethic now."
Quote:
Weber said his friendship with Ott really began to blossom as he approached his 18th birthday and then got drafted by Buffalo in 2006.

"That's when we started to really hang out and work out together," Weber said. "It was when I could keep up with him in fitness level and workouts. I was getting to his level and things just started from there."

Now the two are virtually inseparable.

"We're together nearly every day in the summer," Ott said. "We work out together with the same trainer Bil Nolin. Then we hang out afterwards.

"In Buffalo, I might need to build in some personal time to get away from him."
Quote:
Having a best friend, who also understands and has experienced the challenges of being a professional athlete, gives them someone to bounce ideas off without fear of judgment.

"To say the NHL is the most glamorous place in the world would be a lie," Ott said. "Most people don't know the number of surgeries we've both already had to do this.

"It's an up and down life, it's not all highs. It can be a real roller-coaster that can be extremely stressful.

"Having someone you can talk to and call anytime of the day is extremely helpful. You can't do that with your other friends because they can never really understand the stress of being a professional athlete.

"We talk a lot during the season. It's helped us both whether it's injuries, slumps or being a healthy scratch."
http://www.windsorstar.com/sports/Be...786/story.html

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:43 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

It looks like Weber hooked Ott up with a practice jersey. He still needs a new bucket and gloves, though.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:58 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
In the east, Iíll also get to play some new teams. Iím sure the team in the west got tired of my antics anyway, so itíll be nice to get a fresh start and to be able to build a new reputation is cool.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:02 AM
kirby11

looks like kaleta's gonna have a trolling buddy this year

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:08 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
This deal gets better and better as time goes on! Articles like this just get me that much more amped for the season...

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:08 AM
heartsabres*

I hope Ott can push Weber, 4 years ago Weber played like a beast on the sabres and was a +12 in 16 games and if I remember was a +16 that year at one point. This guy looked like he really was the next Regher at the age 21. Not sure what happened to him since 2007, injuries and confidence I guess. Hope he can turn it around with Ott here.

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:11 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Gerbe-Ott-Kaleta. TROLLTRON...ASSEMBLE!!!

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:16 AM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
I hope Ott can push Weber, 4 years ago Weber played like a beast on the sabres and was a +12 in 16 games and if I remember was a +16 that year at one point. This guy looked like he really was the next Regher at the age 21. Not sure what happened to him since 2007, injuries and confidence I guess. Hope he can turn it around with Ott here.
That would be a sweet collateral benefit. Weber certainly has his work cut out for him this year as far as a cracking the lineup goes.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:34 AM
pigpen65

Maybe weber and ott can help each other get better at fighting. While both are relatively willing, they are both absolutely terrible at it.

pigpen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:32 PM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Weber is freakin train wreck once the gloves come off. So badthat it almost makes me miss Steve "don't mess with me or I'll drop my gloves and hang onto you for dear life" Montadors fights. Ott is a little better at it than Weber, but he isn't voted the winner very often.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:42 PM
pigpen65

Yep. Ott is a fun addition. He hits a lot and he starts a lot of ****, but when it comes down to it, he's not going to make us feel any better about playing Boston because whoever he does fight is gonna kick his ass. When it comes to fighting, the Sabres still aren't put together quite right.

Scott will kick everybody's ass, but nobody will fight him.
McCormick is solid vs middle weights, but just not up to going with Lucic, Thornton, or any similar type guys.
Kaleta is an extremely entertaining fighter, but just not willing to drop them enough.
Weber is willing, but terrible.
Ott is more willing than Kaleta, but also pretty terrible.
Regehr's the type that will step up if nobody else is willing, but he's also kind of terrible.

The real hope for this team's future as far as fighting, that is to say guys who are both willing to fight and entertaining to watch fight, are the youngins. Tropp, Foligno, and McNabb. Tropp and Foligno were solid last year. McNabb has to step it up. When i used to think about the Sabres matching up with Lucic, my mind went directly to Kassian. Right now it doesn't go to anybody really, but i'm hoping someday it will actually be Foligno.

Old
07-11-2012, 01:51 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen65 View Post
Yep. Ott is a fun addition. He hits a lot and he starts a lot of ****, but when it comes down to it, he's not going to make us feel any better about playing Boston because whoever he does fight is gonna kick his ass. When it comes to fighting, the Sabres still aren't put together quite right.

McCormick is solid vs middle weights, but just not up to going with Lucic, Thornton, or any similar type guys.
Kaleta is an extremely entertaining fighter, but just not willing to drop them enough.
Regehr's the type that will step up if nobody else is willing, but he's also kind of terrible.

The real hope for this team's future as far as fighting, that is to say guys who are both willing to fight and entertaining to watch fight, are the youngins. Tropp, Foligno, and McNabb. Tropp and Foligno were solid last year. McNabb has to step it up. When i used to think about the Sabres matching up with Lucic, my mind went directly to Kassian. Right now it doesn't go to anybody really, but i'm hoping someday it will actually be Foligno.
Lucic doesn't fight anyway, so what's it matter who will match up with him?

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:00 PM
pigpen65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Lucic doesn't fight anyway, so what's it matter who will match up with him?

??? His 6 last year would have tied him for 2nd on the Sabres. I don't even know where his 42 in the past 5 seasons would put him in the Sabres ranks. Probably about the same as McCormick.

Old
07-11-2012, 02:44 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:

imo, it's more important that we have plenty of guys who are willing to drop 'em moreso than that they win. Foligno and McNabb look like they have some decent fighting chops. I'm betting we see them scrap a few times this year also.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:45 PM
BCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
imo, it's more important that we have plenty of guys who are willing to drop 'em moreso than that they win.
Correct.

BCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Grinder44

I've always loved to hate Ott. When his name came up in trade talks at the deadline, I thought: "Man I hate Ott... I sure hope the Sabres get him!" Love the trade.

Grinder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
imo, it's more important that we have plenty of guys who are willing to drop 'em moreso than that they win. Foligno and McNabb look like they have some decent fighting chops. I'm betting we see them scrap a few times this year also.
Agreed. Winning the fight means next to nothing to me. Opposing players need to know that if you pull ****, you're going to have to take your chance on a fight and then come off the ice for 5 minutes. That's what matters. And you just need players willing to fight to be there.

Winning generally doesn't mean anything as you can get hurt losing a fight just as easily. So who cares who got a few more shots in?

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:26 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

I found it quite interesting that Regier has been after Ott for nearly a year. He finally landed him, quite funny. He must of been really impressed with the style of game Ott plays. He definitely makes this team tougher to play against. I enjoyed the part where Ott is happy to play in a "hockey town". He is an energy player that feeds off the energy of the crowd. With him playing in a division with some of the most passionate fans in the game, this will be easy to get him motivated, in addition to playing with his best friend Weber. I am liking this trade more and more each day!

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:31 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
??? His 6 last year would have tied him for 2nd on the Sabres. I don't even know where his 42 in the past 5 seasons would put him in the Sabres ranks. Probably about the same as McCormick.
Who cares where he ranks if he were on the Sabres. That doesn't make him a fighter. McCormick isn't a fighter either, he just drops them if he feels he needs to. Lucic is an instigator. He backs away from most challenges, so why people care about finding someone to fight him is beyond me. You find people who will screw with him, and that's what Ott will do.

Old
07-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Frankly getting Lucic to fight is an advantage for the other team. I'm sure Boston would rather him not fight.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:44 PM
pigpen65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Who cares where he ranks if he were on the Sabres. That doesn't make him a fighter. McCormick isn't a fighter either, he just drops them if he feels he needs to. Lucic is an instigator. He backs away from most challenges, so why people care about finding someone to fight him is beyond me. You find people who will screw with him, and that's what Ott will do.
You've pieced together so many untruth's in this one paragraph i don't even know where to start. Lucic does not back away from most challenges. That's not even close to true. The guy was fighting 10+ times per season when he first entered into the league. If the drop in numbers is a reflection of anything it's that he's entered that area where guys are now not willing to fight him. And McCormick's not a fight either? What exactly makes a player a fighter to you if fighting on it's own isn't enough to qualify? lol. Point three, unless you totally missed last season, i couldn't imagine why you wouldn't understand why a Sabres fan would care about finding somebody who can fight him.

Old
07-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
You've pieced together so many untruth's in this one paragraph i don't even know where to start. Lucic does not back away from most challenges. That's not even close to true. The guy was fighting 10+ times per season when he first entered into the league. If the drop in numbers is a reflection of anything it's that he's entered that area where guys are now not willing to fight him. And McCormick's not a fight either? What exactly makes a player a fighter to you if fighting on it's own isn't enough to qualify? lol. Point three, unless you totally missed last season, i couldn't imagine why you wouldn't understand why a Sabres fan would care about finding somebody who can fight him.

Right.

Old
07-11-2012, 05:21 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
No, it reflects that the Bruins would rather have him on the ice than in the box for 5 minutes. He shies away from plenty of challenges. It has nothing to do with anyone being afraid of the challenge. Lucic just knows that if he fights, say John Scott, the Bruins lose the much better player for those 5 minutes.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:49 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Other way around, he's not willing to fight as many guys anymore (not out of fear, though).

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

People really need to stop obsessing over Milan freakin Lucic ...he's highly overrated as a fighter..... the fact that he's skilled n can throw them is what makes him special. He backs down from fights all the time. Nobody needs to beat him down as it won't change how he plays....we just need players willing to stand up to him and not let him alter the way we play. We're getting there.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote