HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Free Agency | Part III

View Poll Results: who would you be most happy with?
Pavel Kubina 31 33.70%
Matt Gilroy 6 6.52%
Michal Rozsíval 53 57.61%
Milan Jurcina 2 2.17%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 500
2012 Free Agency | Part III

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1222317

Link to Part II above.

Continue on....

07-08-2012, 08:04 PM
mitchy22

Re: Where our cap stands now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
So, to the mathematicians out there, if the Isles stand pat now does that mean they are still going to be scurrying to make the cap floor come September or are we there yet? Just wondering. I know it might lower, as well as the cap, but officially where do we stand and what's the consensus about this?
It's kind of hard to tell exactly where we stand. We can't even be sure of our opening roster so far.

We still have to sign Martin. We don't have any clue which young players we're going to rush this year. If Cizikas sticks, where does Reasoner go (and vice versa?)

http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=21

So far, Capgeek has our roster listed as 19 players. That said, I don't see all 19 of those players being in our opening lineup and let's all hope Martin is signed. According to Capgeek, that puts us at $47,772,333 with Reasoner, Cizikas, Nino, and Donovan on the roster.

Nino = $2.795 million*
Cizikas = $0.900 million*
de Haan = $1.470 million*
Reasoner = $1.350 million
Martin = $2.000 million
Donovan - $0.875 million
* = with all bonuses included

Let's send Nino and Cizikas down and beef up the Bridge.
Let's use Martin @$2.00 million even though I'm going high with the number for a reason.
Reasoner in the placeholder on the 4th line.
Let's add de Haan because he has the highest cap hit of defense we may sneak into the bottom pairing.

That puts us at 20 roster players. That puts our cap hit at:
$47,772,333
-$2,795,000 (Nino to Bridge)
-$900,000 (Cizikas to Bridge)
-$875,000 (Donovan to Bridge)
+$1,470,000 (de Haan to NYI)
+$2,000,000 (Martin to NYI; very generous raise)
$46,672,333 = Cap with 18 players; 11 forwards, 6 defense, 2 goalies using DiPietro

Lower cap = $54.2 million

That's ~$7.5 million left to spend on 3 roster spots
That's ~$2.5 million per spot with a roster of 21 players

You could add Nino and Brock Nelson who have our highest cap hits of prospects and we'd still need to add another ~$2 million for the final roster player.

If the cap drops, then we're probably not breaking any rules to open the season after we fill the last few spots. Having said that, we still don't have a full roster to know what we're working with; we also still don't know what the real cap will look like until there's a new CBA.

Looking at things the way they stand right now, I don't like how it looks like that prospects will be needed to hit the lower limit. It is still early. Things are still undecided. While I can't give this team the benefit of the doubt, I can put my annoyance on hold until the end of this month. After that, I'll be *****ing with everyone else.

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:09 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
It's kind of hard to tell exactly where we stand. We can't even be sure of our opening roster so far.

We still have to sign Martin. We don't have any clue which young players we're going to rush this year. If Cizikas sticks, where does Reasoner go (and vice versa?)

So far, Capgeek has our roster listed as 19 players. That said, I don't see all 19 of those players being in our opening lineup and let's all hope Martin is signed. According to Capgeek, that puts us at $47,772,333 with Reasoner, Cizikas, Nino, and Donovan on the roster.

Nino = $2.795 million*
Martin = $2.000 million
Donovan - $0.875 million

Let's use Martin @$2.00 million even though I'm going high with the number for a reason.
Let's add de Haan because he has the highest cap hit of defense we may sneak into the bottom pairing.

$47,772,333
$46,672,333 = Cap with 18 players; 11 forwards, 6 defense, 2 goalies using DiPietro

You could add Nino and Brock Nelson who have our highest cap hits of prospects and we'd still need to add another ~$2 million for the final roster player.

If the cap drops, then we're probably not breaking any rules to open the season after we fill the last few spots. Having said that, we still don't have a full roster to know what we're working with; we also still don't know what the real cap will look like until there's a new CBA.

Looking at things the way they stand right now, I don't like how it looks like that prospects will be needed to hit the lower limit. It is still early. Things are still undecided. While I can't give this team the benefit of the doubt, I can put my annoyance on hold until the end of this month. After that, I'll be *****ing with everyone else.

Mitch
Thanks! Definitely answered a lot of questions. So it seems if Snow is done with additions then we are definitely looking at some rookies playing big minutes in the NHL. When does a contract for Martin have to be decided on?

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:13 PM
seafoam

vCash: 50
Quote:
Thanks! Definitely answered a lot of questions. So it seems if Snow is done with additions then we are definitely looking at some rookies playing big minutes in the NHL. When does a contract for Martin have to be decided on?
Technically before I think December 1st if we wants to play this season

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:25 PM
mitchy22

Quote:
Matt Martin is an RFA. Our recent history of dealing with RFAs (allowing for only small exceptions) says he has to be signed by training camp or he'll get to sit all season (as per Islanders policy.) Martin was qualified, so he's under our control unless he signs an offer sheet that we don't match.

Technically, we have to be at or above the lower limit by the time the season starts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL-NHLPA CBA 50.5
(c) Accounting Practices for Lower and Upper Limit.
(i) Lower Limit. No Club shall, after commencement of the regular season, be permitted to have an Averaged Club Salary that falls below the Lower Limit for that League Year.
We've broken this rule plenty of times, but never at the start of the season (with our "obtainable" bonuses added.) We've never been punished as far as I know. We also have no idea what the new CBA is going to say.

Unfortunately, for every answer I can give there is also a lingering question somewhere.

Mitch

Old
07-08-2012, 08:27 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
the wangmeister says that every player needs to be signed before camp or he will force them to sit out the entire year.

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:32 PM
mitchy22

Quote:
I don't think there is a time limit to sign a player who we have the rights to. December 1st is the time limit to attempt to sign another team's RFA. Let's hope we never have to find out about any of this with Matt Martin.

Since our team's "lockout policy" is the most restrictive, I don't think any of this will concern us. We want Matt Martin signed by training camp. I don't think we need to worry about December 1st, or what happens if he plays overseas (and associated waivers.)

Edit - I've got the CBA open if anyone has more questions for the next 27 minutes I plan to be paying attention.

Mitch

Old
07-08-2012, 09:03 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

Staple has said in his tweets that Garth expects the cap to be lowered after the CBA is finalized.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie43 View Post
I'm not too big into twitter, what exactly has Tootoo and others been saying about long island?

It was said earlier if the isles were a regular playoff team I don't think signing players would be such a big deal.
Tootoo I believe said there was nothing to do and Lupol took a picture of their plane over Long Island and took a picture of a steam tower and said it was the best LI had to offer.

Old
07-08-2012, 09:30 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Anyone else kinda shocked that we needed a FA part III thread?

And Mitch, great post!
Thanks for the number crunching.

Looks like Strome is going to be an Islander and he'll get $20million in bonus money if he scores 50 goals.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:38 PM
jmillz2613
Rookie User

hey guys im a preds fan from ct..i live 5 mins away from where the soundtigers play so i watch all the isles prospects..you guys think de haan will be up ? and what prospects you guys think will start out in bpt ?

jmillz2613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:19 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post

Nino = $2.795 million*
Martin = $2.000 million
Donovan - $0.875 million

$47,772,333

Mitch
Nice work Mitch. One question since I haven't looked lately - are those prorated cap hits?

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:42 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillz2613 View Post
hey guys im a preds fan from ct..i live 5 mins away from where the soundtigers play so i watch all the isles prospects..you guys think de haan will be up ? and what prospects you guys think will start out in bpt ?
deHaan and Donovan will fight for a 3rd pairing role. I'm hoping Donovan is the one that makes it, he's more NHL ready than deHaan who had an injury plagued season.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:09 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
deHaan and Donovan will fight for a 3rd pairing role. I'm hoping Donovan is the one that makes it, he's more NHL ready than deHaan who had an injury plagued season.
Ness too.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:22 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
Staple has said in his tweets that Garth expects the cap to be lowered after the CBA is finalized.
That likely means it will go up then.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:34 PM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Nice work Mitch. One question since I haven't looked lately - are those prorated cap hits?
Thanks. I don't believe Capgeek prorates them during the season (as days pass), if that is what you mean. There might be a part of the site that will do it for you; they also seem to update the site's features as times goes on.

Until the official beginning of the season, the cap hits I listed are the only ones that matter (assuming how cap hits are calculated doesn't change in the CBA.) This is all guesswork until we know what the new CBA states. I'm going strictly by their cap numbers and did not fact check them.

If you want to know how to do the prorating yourself, I'll let an old FAQ about it on NHL.COM do the work for me:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL.COM
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=409700
How is a player's salary charged against a team's salary cap when a trade is made at the deadline?

The salary that is charged against a team's cap is the pro rated amount remaining of the player's average yearly salary. For example, if a player has an average yearly salary of $2 million, the amount charged against the acquiring team's cap is the pro-rated amount remaining of $2 million.

This is calculated by dividing $2 million by the number of days in the season (186). The amount ($10,753) is then multiplied by the number of days remaining in the season from the day the trade is made (42 days if trade is on Feb. 28) to ascertain the amount charged against the team's cap ($451,613).
Hope that answers any questions.

Mitch

Old
07-08-2012, 11:48 PM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
And Mitch, great post!

Looks like Strome is going to be an Islander and he'll get $20million in bonus money if he scores 50 goals.
Thanks for the thanks. I get uncomfortable with praise, so you guys are going to need to stop this.

Replace Strome with "Pandolfo Part II" and you might end up being closer to the truth while joking than I'd like to admit. Thankfully, we can't add any more bonuses to the ones allowed for ELCs; pretty sure you weren't serious.

Not that the lower limit really matters for us once the season hits. We've been below the limit plenty of times and haven't been slapped on the wrist yet. Still, I don't think we'll test it out if the team is below the lower limit after the CBA. That affront would be too obvious and the NHLPA would probably take notice. We'll sign one or two UFAs to contracts with some bonuses if it comes to that. Maybe Jason Arnott will still be around...

...or *gasp* maybe we'll make a hockey trade to improve the team and add an actual salary. It's pretty sad that I may end up hoping for better talent to pay our phantom cap dollars to (via trade or signing.) Note that I'm not taking a shot at Arnott; he actually is someone I'd hope was still around at that point who could somewhat fill a need.

Mitch

Old
07-08-2012, 11:56 PM
s3anie19

Garth has to make an offer to Semin IMO, the islanders can't miss out on the oppurtunity to add someone to help us offensively plus we would probably reach the cap floor

s3anie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:59 AM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
Anyone else kinda shocked that we needed a FA part III thread?

And Mitch, great post!

Most other teams are up to at least part V

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 07:09 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Well, Donovan may be more ready from a health standpoint, that's for sure. He's been sturdy.

I'm sure the many BPorters here would nonetheless attest that his all-round game needs its fair share of work. Positioning, decision making with and without the puck in his own zone, physical play, avoiding HUGE checks - there's still much missing from his game.

His rookie AHL year was nonetheless very promising.

I truly think the all-round games that de Haan and Ness have at the moment put them both ahead of Donovan now, especially since his apparent strength (that of an offensive nature) is already embodied on the Island in Streit, Visnovsky and to a degree AMac and Hamonic. From what I've seen live, de Haan's transition game is currently - and I don't say this lightly - 'superior' to all other prospects in BPort. He's also really smart and good at picking his spots.

It's just those doggone shoulders... Just can't know where he's at or how much he's gonna be able to take.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 08:13 AM
NYI78

Quote:
Ness too.
i just don't see ness as a viable nhl prospect..i think he is just a stop gap until all of the trees they have drafted hit bport.

NYI78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 08:16 AM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Well, Donovan may be more ready from a health standpoint, that's for sure. He's been sturdy.

I'm sure the many BPorters here would nonetheless attest that his all-round game needs its fair share of work. Positioning, decision making with and without the puck in his own zone, physical play, avoiding HUGE checks - there's still much missing from his game.

His rookie AHL year was nonetheless very promising.

I truly think the all-round games that de Haan and Ness have at the moment put them both ahead of Donovan now, especially since his apparent strength (that of an offensive nature) is already embodied on the Island in Streit, Visnovsky and to a degree AMac and Hamonic. From what I've seen live, de Haan's transition game is currently - and I don't say this lightly - 'superior' to all other prospects in BPort. He's also really smart and good at picking his spots.

It's just those doggone shoulders... Just can't know where he's at or how much he's gonna be able to take.

de haan's breakout pass is very good and he was good in his own end. Offensively Donovan is electric..his skating is very good and he did a great job on the power play. He does need work in his own end but offensively he really stands out. I would like to see CDH take the next step offensively this year and hit 40 points in bport

Old
07-09-2012, 08:26 AM
seafoam

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
de haan's breakout pass is very good and he was good in his own end. Offensively Donovan is electric..his skating is very good and he did a great job on the power play. He does need work in his own end but offensively he really stands out. I would like to see CDH take the next step offensively this year and hit 40 points in bport
Donovan has very high offensive potential, I know Chapin stands firm on his Christian Ehrhoff comparison. That said, I think they(Isles) will take their time developing him in Bridgeport in hoping he turns out to be a bonafide offensive defenseman and not a powerplay specialist like MA Bergeron. Plus, de Haan has a higher cap hit .

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 08:36 AM
NYI78

Quote:
Donovan has very high offensive potential, I know Chapin stands firm on his Christian Ehrhoff comparison. That said, I think they(Isles) will take their time developing him in Bridgeport in hoping he turns out to be a bonafide offensive defenseman and not a powerplay specialist like MA Bergeron. Plus, de Haan has a higher cap hit .
donovan has alot of mike green in him...which is both good and bad

Old
07-09-2012, 08:38 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Tootoo I believe said there was nothing to do and Lupol took a picture of their plane over Long Island and took a picture of a steam tower and said it was the best LI had to offer.

DID he really? wtf, what a ****.....**** him...

Last edited by Homeland Security: 07-09-2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: edit
StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote