HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blackburn news on Sportsdesk.

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2005, 10:24 PM
NYR2

vCash: 500
Blackburn news on Sportsdesk.

Be sure to tune in at 11:30 tonight, JD will be on the phone talking about him. I just heard it now, really not looking good for Danny. One nerve is not responding and he can't really lift his glove hand up to catch the puck. Anyway, tune in to hear it all from JD.

Old
01-06-2005, 10:27 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR2
Be sure to tune in at 11:30 tonight, JD will be on the phone talking about him. I just heard it now, really not looking good for Danny. One nerve is not responding and he can't really lift his glove hand up to catch the puck. Anyway, tune in to hear it all from JD.
Sigh..Blackburn...a lost hope. Even when there is no NHL us Ranger fans we just cant get a break from bad news.

Old
01-06-2005, 10:29 PM
AG9NK35DT8*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR2
Damn not good at all I guess drafting Montoya was a smart idea especially in a draft that was somewhat weak .the 2005 draft is supose to be very good and strong for good players.

Old
01-06-2005, 10:42 PM
NYRangers

Heres from someone else...

"JD talked about the progress on Danny's shoulder rehab. They showed him in that special training pool and you could really see the scar on his shoulder. He said that he has been working out very very hard and that all the nerves have come back but one. Unfortunately that one nerve is preventing him from being able to get his left arm up in order to make glove saves. The Rangers training/equipment staff have come up with a piece of equipment that is basically another blocker with a small catching glove for him to wear on his left hand. JD explained that there doesn't seem to be a rule against using this piece of equipment, which is good. JD also said that if Danny cannot play well while using this in place of his catching glove he will likely have to retire, which is bad. "

Old
01-07-2005, 12:11 AM
Balej20*

ok, well it looks like Blackburn is done. I really liked that kid. I feel real bad for him, he seemed like such a great guy.

I do not see how this crazy contraption is gonna work that they are planning on trying on him. Well, all the best to you in the future Danny.

Old
01-07-2005, 12:43 AM
NYR2

I really held on hope that he'd make it back, this is very disappointing.

Old
01-07-2005, 12:54 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

Hello Rangers fans. Very sad news. I watched this kid play and dominate in the WHL at 16. Clutch, clutch goaltender who had such potential. Sorry to hear about his misfortune.

Old
01-07-2005, 01:27 AM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
That sucks about Blackburn . Poor guy. I can't say I'm surprised with this news.

I wish it could be different.

Old
01-07-2005, 02:15 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
well i am man enough to say sorry to how ever it was that broke this story from drunk sather. Great job on the scoop. This truely sucks but at least it is at the best time we have 5 other goalies NHL ready. Well 4 and one who sucked in world cup lol.

Old
01-07-2005, 03:01 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44
well i am man enough to say sorry to how ever it was that broke this story from drunk sather. Great job on the scoop. This truely sucks but at least it is at the best time we have 5 other goalies NHL ready. Well 4 and one who sucked in world cup lol.
Well if the NHL did happen, who would be our goalie? Im guessing we would call up LaBarbera cause he is actually playing, while Dunham and Weekes are doing nothing. Why have a goalie in net who has not played in a real game since this past season.

Old
01-07-2005, 03:43 AM
Barnaby

Hopefully he made some money so he can afford to just go to college and get his life started. I feel really bad for him. He had a TON of talent, and I really think he could have been a star. First Cherneski, and now Blackburn but the worst part is how dissapointing this must be for him after all his hard work. I really believed he would succeed in the end - I still think that was a great pick at the time. The kid may have had the ability to dominate. All the best to him - I can't imagine how hard this must be. His dreams are probably shattered.

Good luck Dan, keep your head high!

The effort he put into his recovery - I have no doubt he'll be successful in whatever he does.

Old
01-07-2005, 05:53 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
Hopefully he made some money so he can afford to just go to college and get his life started. I feel really bad for him. He had a TON of talent, and I really think he could have been a star. First Cherneski, and now Blackburn but the worst part is how dissapointing this must be for him after all his hard work. I really believed he would succeed in the end - I still think that was a great pick at the time. The kid may have had the ability to dominate. All the best to him - I can't imagine how hard this must be. His dreams are probably shattered.

The effort he put into his recovery - I have no doubt he'll be successful in whatever he does.
Well said, Barnaby.

Old
01-07-2005, 06:15 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Like I said on another board....it would be a classy move if New York Rangers offered some sort of position in the organization no matter how small. Playing in the CHL I doubt he has any great form of education. I hope for the best with this kid.

Old
01-07-2005, 07:58 AM
BLACKBURN

I dont think i can kid myself any longer, looks like Blackie is done. I dont have any sympathy for the organization losing a prospect, just for a great young guy losing his hopes and dreams. I can only imagine what he is going through, yet I know if my lifes passion was taken away from me before my mid twenties I would be extremely depressed.

As mentioned before lets hope he is offered a place within the organization, even if its assisting with equipment or assisting Allaire with coaching.

Sad day for the Rangers and Blackburn

Old
01-07-2005, 08:31 AM
Levitate

i think blackburn is/was probably the most talented out of the three goalies the rangers have...had the highest ceiling. he could have been great...really sucks to have his career end like this.

he'll probably give it a go for awhile to see if he can manage a career in the minor leagues but unless his arm is 100%, I can't see him making it to the NHL again

Old
01-07-2005, 08:40 AM
JR#9*

I also liked Blackburn the best our of all goalies.

He was going to be a winner, a big game goalie...you could just tell.

Just look at what he did as a 16 and 17 yr old in the WHL and then to come into a very tough position w/a struggling and terrible defensive team like the NYR's and show the promise he had was very impressive.

I was looking for the kid to really make a move into the top end by 23 when he would've had 6 yrs exerience in the league already and he still would've been one of the youngest #1's in the league.

Very sad and unfortunate break for Blackie most of all but as well as the franchise. :mad:

I wish Danny all the best and hopefully he'll find success in life after hockey.

Sad to see such a kid with so much promise and hockey ahead of him cut short like this.

Old
01-07-2005, 08:52 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

I know it all sounds bad, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers
Heres from someone else...

"JD talked about the progress on Danny's shoulder rehab. They showed him in that special training pool and you could really see the scar on his shoulder. He said that he has been working out very very hard and that all the nerves have come back but one. Unfortunately that one nerve is preventing him from being able to get his left arm up in order to make glove saves. The Rangers training/equipment staff have come up with a piece of equipment that is basically another blocker with a small catching glove for him to wear on his left hand. JD explained that there doesn't seem to be a rule against using this piece of equipment, which is good. JD also said that if Danny cannot play well while using this in place of his catching glove he will likely have to retire, which is bad. "
I had a friend who was shot in the shoulder in Nam and it severed all the major nerves in his shoulder. It took over 2 years for the nerves to grow enough so that they could go in and surgically reattach them. He went from basically having a dead useless left arm to a 95-99% totally functional arm and shoulder again. I guess what I am trying to say is that I would not necessarily say that this is the definitive end for Blackie, but rather that it may take another year or two. That said, how much will he be able to continue and regain his form and whether any organization would stay the course. The medical profession is constantly coming up with new methods and procedures so the final chapter may yet to have been written on this. Tough break for a really good young man, all the best to him.

Old
01-07-2005, 09:18 AM
Levitate

i dont' think any of us have any real medical knowledge of blackburn's specific injury...but i thought the deal was that the nerve just wasn't working correctly (wasn't firing correctly, whatever). not that it's severed or something. if the nerve is there and just won't heal and work right...i have no idea what they could do, seems like nothing or they would have done it

Old
01-07-2005, 11:04 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44
well i am man enough to say sorry to how ever it was that broke this story from drunk sather. Great job on the scoop. .
Not looking for credit b/c as I've said it wasn't like I had some inside source or anything but rather that Slats disclosed this to my buddy at the meet and greet while bowling together and as I said I would've loved to be proven wrong by seeing Blackie make a return to the NHL but as I stated all along this was exactly what Slats said and obviously he was just being honest as well as blunt in accessing the Blackie situation to my friend.

This is why all the regulars didn't question me as they know I never would've posted some BS made up story and while I can understand others dismissing my post as a nonsense some people were really ridiculous in their stances how Slats would never divulge such info to a fan and other nonsense of similar substance.

Where is the poster "Pleasemyboy" today???? :bonk:

Old
01-07-2005, 11:05 AM
Fletch

JOrt...

Labarbera would not likely get the call-up. While Weekes and Dunham are doing nothing, so are plenty of other goaltenders. There will be some sort of training camp if NHL play resumes and many players will be on the same level. You don't play an AHL-caliber goalie in the NHL just because he's played during the season. And even if you had Labarbera play, where would Weekes and Dunham be? Can't carry three goalies.

Old
01-07-2005, 11:15 AM
Onion Boy

I thought Weekes was playing in one of the European leagues?

Old
01-07-2005, 11:24 AM
Jysk

That really sucks. I had to retire when i eas 18 years old due to a nasty knee injurie, so i know howe it feels

I really liked Blackburn amd tought he was the future goalie för the blue shirts.

Seems that beeing drafted by either Rangers or Islanders is werry risky
Stefan Chernski(? spelling), Blackburn, Berard, Brett Lindros, Dave Czyshkowski ( Spelling ?) and that guy who died i the alps

Old
01-07-2005, 12:57 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby

Dan Blackburn has an insurance policy he can collect from if the shoulder injury forces him to retire

Old
01-07-2005, 01:00 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Dan Blackburn does not agree with John Davidson

"There's no question that Dan believes he's on the road to recovery," said Mark Hall(Blackburn's agent), who has spoken with Blackburn following each of his Charlotte practices. "This is a guy who has woken up early every day for the last six months to go to the rink and work on his game.

"He definitely believes he's on the road to recovery"

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...p-230350c.html

Old
01-07-2005, 01:14 PM
JR#9*

What do you expect Dan to say?

Of course he's going to go all out in trying everything he possible can before giving up on his lifetime dream.We all would.

That being said the fact that their going to try and fit him with 2 blockers in place of a catching glove is ridiculous and shows how badly affected his catching arm's shoulder is.

Obviously you need a catching glove to not only make saves but also to stop play and freeze the puck.Blackie would be leaving rebounds all over the place if he isn't able to use his catching glove at a normal rate.

Closed Thread