HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lead up to the Lockout

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2005, 12:25 AM
Balej20*

vCash: 500
Lead up to the Lockout

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1963623

pretty interesting read on ESPN. The picture of Bobby Holik on the front of the NHL section on ESPN drew my attention to the article. Rangers are mentioned a few times in here.

Old
01-11-2005, 07:57 AM
True Blue

Othere teams fans can rant and rave all they want

But re-reading that article shows that the Rangers have definetly not been the only team out there signing players to ridiculous contracts. Seemingly every year there has been a team aside from the Rangers who made ludicrous offers to players. But, at least we can be secure with the knowledge that it is all the fault of the Rangers.
And the other little tidbit just underscores one of the many reasons that I cannot side with Bettman. Under his watch, the owners allowed him to expand into markets that were never meant to support hockey. Their sole reason was just so that they can gobble up expansion fees. The CBA was good enough when the expansion fees were coming in. But now with no expansion dollars, and when the majority of those new markets proving to be disasters, suddenly NOW is the time to lockout the players and cancel a season.
I've been saying this for a while now, but no less than half of the problem is that the so-called commissioner of the NHL is nothing but the owners lapdog.

Old
01-11-2005, 01:25 PM
Balej20*

The expansion was absolutely insane. Thats a huge reason we are in the hole we are in right now. What a joke. I've hated Bettman since he first got the job, but this doesnt mean i am necessarily siding with the players on this issue.

Old
01-11-2005, 01:56 PM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
I've been saying this for a while now, but no less than half of the problem is that the so-called commissioner of the NHL is nothing but the owners lapdog.
A lot of people have been saying he's a problem, but rather than him being a lapdog, I consider him to be someone with great influence who has largely been the architect of their destiny...it's an unfortunate situation that he still has a job, but there's little that can be done about that, and if the owners "win" this time around he'll be around as long as he wants to be.

Old
01-11-2005, 02:17 PM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
The expansion was absolutely insane. Thats a huge reason we are in the hole we are in right now. What a joke. I've hated Bettman since he first got the job, but this doesnt mean i am necessarily siding with the players on this issue.
I hate to defend Bettman, but the NHLPA is just as guilty in this strike, and also in the expansion of the league. Both parties saw $ signs. Owners through expansion money, players with more NHL jobs, which led to paying minor leaguers major league salaries, which in turn pushed salaries much higher, which in turn brought arbitration into play big time. Minor league players getting major league money is what caused this strike. This is the law of unintended consequences. Everyone thought this was win win, but now its lose lose. And who gets the brunt of losses, the fans of course.

Old
01-11-2005, 02:21 PM
Balej20*

yep, you are right.

Old
01-11-2005, 02:40 PM
NYFAN

I think Bettman made a fatal mistake with the last offer the PA made. It was a perfect starting point to try and hammer out a compromise for both sides. By offering a 24% rollback the PA acnowledged there was a significant problem. By offering to change the entry level scale, they were offering a way to entertain cost certainty without having egg on their faces, and what did Bettman do, he polarized the situation even more by essentialy ignoring the offer and making dismissive statements.

Old
01-11-2005, 03:28 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...11/894822.html

Old
01-11-2005, 03:34 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
depending on what article you read, or who you are listening to...people claim that both sides are cracking...some will say the players are crumbliong and will give in, and apparently now, this article claims the owners are cracking. all depends on who you are talking to.

Bottom line is, everyone will be cracking if something isnt resolved soon.

Old
01-11-2005, 03:38 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
depending on what article you read, or who you are listening to...people claim that both sides are cracking...some will say the players are crumbliong and will give in, and apparently now, this article claims the owners are cracking. all depends on who you are talking to.

Bottom line is, everyone will be cracking if something isnt resolved soon.
Players might be cracking...but i HIGHLY doubt its more then a handful..maybe at most a few dozen which would mean about 5-6% of the NHLPA. If a handful of owners are cracking then that would mean about 30-40%. Our best shot for a season is if more owners are cracking.

Old
01-11-2005, 03:56 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrf83
I hate to defend Bettman, but the NHLPA is just as guilty in this strike, and also in the expansion of the league.
I cannot believe that the pro-owner side still wants to share the expansion blame with the NHLPA. How the heck is it the fault of the NHLPA that Hartford was moved to Carolina? How is it the fault of the NHLPA that California has 3 hockey teams? How is it the fault of the NHLPA that Nasville is now a hockey market? How is it the fault of the NHLPA that Florida has 2 teams? Ludicrous.
Don't tell me that the NHLPA saw $$$. Who decides to expand? The owners. Who takes in every last penny of expansion money? The owners. Yes, the NHLPA expanded once the league expanded, but it is not like they had a choice in the matter. First the owners vote to expand. Once they do, off course the new players become members of the NHLPA. What other choice is there? It's not like the NHLPA would have recieved new members if the owners have not expanded.
NO ONE shares the expansion blame with the owners and Bettman.

Old
01-11-2005, 04:00 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
I cannot believe that the pro-owner side still wants to share the expansion blame with the NHLPA. How the heck is it the fault of the NHLPA that Hartford was moved to Carolina? How is it the fault of the NHLPA that California has 3 hockey teams? How is it the fault of the NHLPA that Nasville is now a hockey market? How is it the fault of the NHLPA that Florida has 2 teams? Ludicrous.
Don't tell me that the NHLPA saw $$$. Who decides to expand? The owners. Who takes in every last penny of expansion money? The owners. Yes, the NHLPA expanded once the league expanded, but it is not like they had a choice in the matter. First the owners vote to expand. Once they do, off course the new players become members of the NHLPA. What other choice is there? It's not like the NHLPA would have recieved new members if the owners have not expanded.
NO ONE shares the expansion blame with the owners and Bettman.
I'm not defending any side here, but i think the point is pretty clear as to why the players would not atleast be against expansion. Expansion means more jobs for players. Players who before the expansion, would not have been good enough to play in the NHL.

Old
01-11-2005, 04:47 PM
True Blue

Quote:
I'm not defending any side here, but i think the point is pretty clear as to why the players would not atleast be against expansion. Expansion means more jobs for players. Players who before the expansion, would not have been good enough to play in the NHL.
Makes no difference. The playes take no blame in the overexpansion of the league and the subsequet diluting of the talent level. Players did not make the decision to expand. They just have to deal with the subsequent landscape. Enron is not the fault of the mail room clerk who delivered the mail.
The owners, not the players, are the ones who saw the expansion dollars as justification to expand. The NHLPA does not get to decide on expanding teams. What does it matter that the NHLPA got more jobs out of it? By the sounds of some of the players, they would gladly contract some teams as they realize that the league is hemoragging money in markets that were never meant to hold hockey. Can't blame the NHLPA for the owners decisions.
Are there things that you can blame the players for? Sure...in abundance. But the 9 new markets within 10 years can only be laid at the feet of Bettman & the owners.

Last edited by True Blue: 01-11-2005 at 05:24 PM.
Old
01-11-2005, 04:59 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Makes no difference. The playes take no blame in the overexpansion of the league and the subsequet diluting of the talent level. Players did not make the decision to expand. They just have to deal with the subsequent landscape. Enron is not the fault of the mail room clerk who delivered the mail.
The owners, not the players, are the ones who saw the expansion dollars as justification to expand. The NHLPA does not get to decide on expanding teams. What does it matter that the NHLPA got more jobs out of it? By the sounds of some of the players, they would gladly contract some teams as they realize that the league is hemoragging money in markets that were never meant to hold hockey. Can't blame the NHLPA for the owners decisions.
Are there things that you can blame the players for? Sure...in abundance. But the 9 new markets within 10 years can only be layed at the feet of Bettman & the owners.
You're absolutely right. I don't think people talk enough about how expansion has hurt this league tremendously.

Closed Thread