HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ken Campbell bashing us once again

Old
07-07-2012, 05:32 PM
tsanuri

vCash: 500
Ken Campbell bashing us once again

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ting-fame.html

How can they continue to let this idiot write things about LA. I swear he must have never been there.

tsanuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:44 PM
Jwm1986

Unbelievable....Sports writers must be biting their nails for relevant topics these days if this garbage is the best they can come up with over the summer....

Jwm1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:48 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

I'm not one who gets into hyperbole much, but that is one of the worst hockey articles written, and I am embarrassed I gave THN a hit by reading it.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanuri View Post
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ting-fame.html

How can they continue to let this idiot write things about LA. I swear he must have never been there.
He HAS to write something - it puts food on his table and gas in his car. Yes, mock a Staples employee because they don't know who Gretzky is - you know, the star player that never played a single game at Staples.

So he says that teams need to win to remain popular and that the Kings are headed down that road. But he also wrote NOTHING as to why he thinks the Kings will be a lesser team.

He's just going thru the motions and making me realize I did the right thing cancelling THN many years ago.

Last edited by Butch 19: 07-07-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:57 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
Don't really care to be honest. The last time he trashed on us we won a Cup. This time maybe something good will happen again.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 07:49 PM
KBA4life

Terrible

KBA4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 07:56 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I can't hear him. The Stanley Cup win is still ringing in my ears.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:52 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Makes himself look dumber every day, waste of an employee there

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:00 PM
SLang

Isn't this the same jackass who said the Devils were going to win the Cup because they had won playoff OT games and the Kings hadn't.......when in reality the Kings had?

The same guy who after being mercilessly trashed in the comment section of that "piece", then edited it without any kind of footnote acknowledging his mistakes?

That guy?

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Whiskeypete

he's a classic back east and canada only hockey troll. best recourse is to avoid reading any articles on THN from him. less traffic on his articles is the best way of voicing your opinion

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:24 PM
Scottkmlps

Wow. And people wonder why THN has become such trash since McKenzie and others have left. I haven't bought one of their rags in about 15 years and I don't plan on buying one anytime soon.
Oh and how dare him try and downgrade Alyssa Milano.

Scottkmlps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:53 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Okay, I read the article and I read all of the diatribe above me.

I am not a fan of this guy but where is he wrong, really? Other than getting the thing wrong about us repeating next year, where is he wrong in the areas where he addressed in the article?

Is it mean spirited? I really don't think so. He really isn't bashing L.A., a lot of what he said is true, unfortunately. I am obviously one of the "maniacs" who has lived and died with this team for 45 years, and I am sure everyone who posted above me is also.

But look at it from a realistic point of view and read the article again and as I said, other more or less saying we are "a flash in the pan" I think he kind of nailed it.

Sadly.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Thanks for trolling Ken and insulting the Stanley Cup champions and their fan base. All you exhibited is your lack of knowledge when it comes to hockey in LA and SoCal in general. As usual another 'expert' hockey journalist completely misses what Kings hockey and the fans that support it are all about. Why is it the 'experts' devote so much attention the celebrities in attendance all the time? My guess is they account for less than 2% of those in attendance. The vast majority are season ticket holders and long time fans of the team. Take your pathetic nonsense elsewhere. Going forward I will make it a point to avoid your articles online, so you get less hits/traffic. As for anything else, sorry but I can't hear you. My ears are still ringing from GO KINGS GO....GO KINGS GO....the 2012 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS LA KINGS. As for your articles sorry I can't see them, the Cup is blocking my view.
Good one, Reaper!

Old
07-07-2012, 09:57 PM
tsanuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
Isn't this the same jackass who said the Devils were going to win the Cup because they had won playoff OT games and the Kings hadn't.......when in reality the Kings had?

The same guy who after being mercilessly trashed in the comment section of that "piece", then edited it without any kind of footnote acknowledging his mistakes?

That guy?
That would be the one!

Old
07-07-2012, 10:45 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post

I am not a fan of this guy but where is he wrong, really? Other than getting the thing wrong about us repeating next year, where is he wrong in the areas where he addressed in the article?

Is it mean spirited? I really don't think so. He really isn't bashing L.A., a lot of what he said is true, unfortunately. I am obviously one of the "maniacs" who has lived and died with this team for 45 years, and I am sure everyone who posted above me is also.

But look at it from a realistic point of view and read the article again and as I said, other more or less saying we are "a flash in the pan" I think he kind of nailed it.

Sadly.
He isn't wrong in anything he said. People are over-reacting like crazy.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:51 PM
onlyalad

All he said really was the celebrities and media will forget about the Kings if they don't win a cup. and since the odds of repeating are slim then the celebs and media will jump off the band wagon soon.
Fine ticket prices are getting silly anyway.

onlyalad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:03 PM
lumbergh

Quote:

Sadly.
He is wrong about the attendance. The Kings have drawn well even when the team wasn't going well. He's suggesting that it's a bandwagon town when the truth is that most seats are filled, even when the Kings were out wandering the wilderness.

Maybe there's not much factually incorrect with what he wrote, but it's a piece of crap. It's as if you were writing a critique about television and only talked about the Kardashians. The article might qualify as trolling on hfboards, it's that bad.

lumbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:06 PM
tsanuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
He isn't wrong in anything he said. People are over-reacting like crazy.
It is more this guy has not said anything good about LA in the past either. He missed facts to make points just before the cup. And he is saying LA is not a hockey town and when many of the players that have played here have said otherwise. Who do you think knows better them or him? He also said that the only time the Kings have fans is when they are doing well. Guess he has not looked at what ticket sales have been over the last 10 years.

Quote:
What is more likely to happen is the Kings will live off the fumes of this championship for a little while before settling into their usual existence as a team whose bottom line and recognition value depend on its on-ice success.
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyalad View Post
All he said really was the celebrities and media will forget about the Kings if they don't win a cup. and since the odds of repeating are slim then the celebs and media will jump off the band wagon soon.
Fine ticket prices are getting silly anyway.

Most of the celebrities that he listed have been going more than just this year. The media coverage in LA will go down but then again I never remember much anyway.
I moved 3 years ago out of the area but I can't think it would have changed. The only time I remember big coverage was in 93 short of the trade in 88.

Old
07-07-2012, 11:13 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbergh View Post
He is wrong about the attendance. The Kings have drawn well even when the team wasn't going well. He's suggesting that it's a bandwagon town when the truth is that most seats are filled, even when the Kings were out wandering the wilderness.
Other than the frustration seasons of 2007-08 and 2008-09, you are correct.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

Quote:
Maybe there's not much factually incorrect with what he wrote, but it's a piece of crap. It's as if you were writing a critique about television and only talked about the Kardashians. The article might qualify as trolling on hfboards, it's that bad.
Yeah, he can write a puff piece on the Kings, but if I need my back rubbed and ego stroked as a Kings fan, all I need to do is tune to channel 471 (NHL Network) and I can see the "congratulations Kings" commercial 20 times an hour, among other things.

And as far as the article qualify for trolling on this website, well with the sensitivity generally displayed here I would agree wholeheartedly.

Old
07-07-2012, 11:23 PM
tsanuri

Quote:
Other than the frustration seasons of 2007-08 and 2008-09, you are correct.
And I would not count those as that bad of years at 89% and 92%. When in both those years the Lakers went to the finals winning one and loosing the other. NJ with 3 cup wins and making it to the finals this year had worse attendance than both those years percentage wise at 87%. Very few cities will sustain a team that doesn't win from time to time yet the fans in LA managed to support the Kings for 45 long years with only making it to the finals twice. And many lean years of being knocked out early.

Old
07-08-2012, 12:01 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:

Sadly.
Because it's not true. Even though the Kings aren't the #1 market in LA, the fact they've had a large and loyal following even though they haven't won a championship until this year kind of contradicts the premise of his article.

He paints LA as some fleeting fanbase that only supports the team when they win, and then they'll fade into obscurity when they don't. And there are only a couple teams with a strong loyal fanbase that will support them through thick and thin.

It reeks of bitterness. It takes jabs at the newspaper for educating the readers on some simple rules of hockey, as if LA is wrought full of ignorant fans, but then turns around to say nobody will care in the long run.

No matter how much of it you think is realistic, the tone of the article is elitist and snobby. Given his previous articles and how he handled them, I think his agenda and lack of professionalism is quite clear.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 12:23 AM
Bandit

Who the **** is Ken Campbell and why do I give a **** about what he has to say?

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 12:24 AM
Reclamation Project
Technically, Missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Who the **** is Ken Campbell and why do I give a **** about what he has to say?
A nobody. We don't.

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:26 AM
Mxpunk

Never liked Campbell. All he does is complain about the league. Fighting, shot blocking, the trap, etc. No real journalism there.

Mxpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:43 AM
johnjm22

Infuriating a fan base is the best way to drive traffic to your article.

If he wrote a piece praising the Kings no one would care.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote