HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Bills Draft/Free Agency Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2005, 12:45 PM
Weezel RX7

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Weezel RX7
This article talks about how Henry would like to go to Miami...and in one particular section I laughed my ass off.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1969643

and i quote... "I'm one of the top five running backs in the NFL and I would have continued to put up the same numbers." -- Travis Henry

What planet is living on??

1- Tomlinson
2- Alexander
3- Edge
4- C-Mart
5- Priest Holmes
6- Jamal Lewis...questionable due to jail time
7- Dillion
8- McGahee
9- Deuce
10- Rudi

Henry isn't in the top 10 running backs in the league. How many TDs did he score this year? Zero. How many balls did he put on the ground last year? 7

Not to mention, he's never healthy

And i can think of 5 other backs id rather have than him...Kevin Jones, Portis, Ahman Green, Tiki, Dominic Davis

Top 5 back...i dont think so

Henry ain't going to miami unless they package deal their 1st rd pick and if i was Saban, ***** that

Old
01-18-2005, 01:31 PM
Takeo

Here's another article. Travis is already moving his stuff.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphin...fins_0118.html

Miami has nothing to offer though. The only way I see this happening is if they trade down in the draft to acquire a 2nd rounder to give Buffalo. Henry would be a cheaper option than drafting Benson, Brown, or Cadillac in the 1st round. Problem is, I can't imagine Donahoe waiting that long as conveniencing Miami would potentially eliminate other suitors who may have already filled a RB need in free agency.

I wonder if Donahoe would bite on a 4th rounder (2005) + 2nd rounder (2006)-type package?

Old
01-18-2005, 01:45 PM
jpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
I wonder if Donahoe would bite on a 4th rounder (2005) + 2nd rounder (2006)-type package?
Me neither, though I doubt it. Donahoe should try for 3rd round picks in 2005 & 2006, or a 3rd & 5th in 2005. Miami's 3rd & 5th in this year's draft might be enough to trade up into the 2nd.

Old
01-18-2005, 02:06 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpb
Me neither, though I doubt it. Donahoe should try for 3rd round picks in 2005 & 2006, or a 3rd & 5th in 2005. Miami's 3rd & 5th in this year's draft might be enough to trade up into the 2nd.
I believe Miami traded their 3rd rounder for Gordon. That's why I think they'll definitely trade down in round 1.

Old
01-18-2005, 02:46 PM
jpb

Quote:
I believe Miami traded their 3rd rounder for Gordon. That's why I think they'll definitely trade down in round 1.
Huh. Did not know that. I don't think Miami would go for this, but Donahoe could try for something like Henry and a 2nd for Miami's first.

Wishful thinking, at any rate

Old
01-18-2005, 05:04 PM
ajsonor

I just read an article that quotes Henry as wanting to play for Miami.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphin...fins_0118.html

It also mentions teams interested, including: Carolina, Arizona, Tampa Bay, and Oakland. This would appear to be playing into the Bills hands. one could guess that Tampa could be a potential suitor because A-It is in Florida (Henry), and B- It is not in Miami (Buffalo). Shipping him to the other Conference would reduce the potential for damage to Buffalo down the road. Tampa Bay also had a poor season, and is slated to pick 5th overall. If there truly is a competitive market for Henry, I wonder what the change of getting Tampa's second round pick would be. It would practically be a late first round pick, something that would appear out of our reach due to the influx of young talent and the available free agents.

Does anyone have any thoughts or insight into the Espn Insider Article titled: Rumor Central: Bill's Henry in Demand?

Old
01-19-2005, 12:27 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpb
Huh. Did not know that. I don't think Miami would go for this, but Donahoe could try for something like Henry and a 2nd for Miami's first.

Wishful thinking, at any rate
I just double-checked this. Miami did trade their own 3rd round pick for Gordon but they also acquired a 3rd rounder in the Ogunleye trade. I still don't think Donahoe will settle for a 3rd rounder, however, especially from Miami.

Old
01-19-2005, 06:35 AM
jpb

It'll be interesting to see how the Droughns entry into the "trade me" sweeps affects things. Denver seems to think that they can get a high round pick and a mid round pick for him. Good luck!

Old
01-19-2005, 03:06 PM
Takeo

Mort verifies Bledsoe report (2/3 down page):

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=7034

Fact: The Bills have requested that Bledsoe restructure once again.

Speculation: The Bills may release Bledsoe if he declines.

Last edited by Takeo: 01-20-2005 at 09:29 AM.
Old
01-20-2005, 09:30 AM
Takeo

EDIT: Just realized that the link above won't work for some people. Sorry.

Anyway, on the Mike & Mike Show this morning, Donahoe stated that a decision would be made about the QB position within 2 weeks. When asked about how vets would respond to an inexperienced QB, Donahoe replied "the vets were behind Travis Henry too before they saw what McGahee could do."

All indications point toward a Bledsoe release.

Old
01-20-2005, 12:39 PM
Takeo

My 2005 UFA Wishlist:

DT Pat Williams-----keep the defense in tact

OT Marcus Price-----reliable depth

OT Ryan Diem-----plays RT and Big Mike makes the switch to LT

QB Shane Matthews-----competes with Blake for backup duty

QB Jeff Blake-----see above

RB James Mungro-----slasher backup for Willis, Williams retained as specialty scat back

TE Bubba Franks-----upgrade the starting tight end position, release Campbell

Old
01-20-2005, 02:15 PM
ajsonor

Quote:
My 2005 UFA Wishlist:

DT Pat Williams-----keep the defense in tact

OT Marcus Price-----reliable depth

OT Ryan Diem-----plays RT and Big Mike makes the switch to LT

QB Shane Matthews-----competes with Blake for backup duty

QB Jeff Blake-----see above

RB James Mungro-----slasher backup for Willis, Williams retained as specialty scat back

TE Bubba Franks-----upgrade the starting tight end position, release Campbell
Not at bad list, and potentially very feasable under the salary cap if they lose Jennings and cut Bledsoe. I would like to see an upgrade at our third receiver position too.

Old
01-20-2005, 02:19 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsonor
Not at bad list, and potentially very feasable under the salary cap if they lose Jennings and cut Bledsoe. I would like to see an upgrade at our third receiver position too.
Also, don't forget Moulds is restructuring.

Assuming we get a 2nd or 3rd for Henry, I'd pick an interior offensive lineman, a wide receiver, and probably Mike Nugent with our first three picks. Then I'd look for defensive depth from the 4th round on.

Old
01-21-2005, 08:18 AM
Digable5

Quote:
Also, don't forget Moulds is restructuring.

Assuming we get a 2nd or 3rd for Henry, I'd pick an interior offensive lineman, a wide receiver, and probably Mike Nugent with our first three picks. Then I'd look for defensive depth from the 4th round on.
Along with your free agent choices I think this is a very well thought out plan. Very nice. When healthy, I'm satisfied with Campbell. I like Franks and Becht but since the TE for the Bills is more likely to be used for blocking then receiving, I wouldn't waste much space try to "upgrade" the position. Besides, if Bledsoe is somehow kept as the starter, he won't throw it to players other than Moulds or Evans all that often anyways. I'd rather use the money that we could give to a new TE to a reliable third receiver.

I'm happy with Matthews as a backup. But I'd prefer to pick up a guy like Mike McMahon if he stays fairly cheap. I like what he can offer and is still young enough to become more than just a backup. Where as Blake is "what you see is what you get". He's past any chance of being a number 1 guy and isn't the most reliable backup either. With Losman still unproven, it would be nice to have another option that could still amount to something. And it doesn't hurt that the other option has NFL experience.

If we can trade Henry for at least a 2nd round pick, Mungro would be the perfect replacement. I'd put the priority of signing Pat Williams well above signing Jennings. Keep Price who is adequate and see what you can do with either Teague or in the draft to fill the hole. Maybe a guy like OL Adam Terry would still be around for the pick we get for trading Henry. That way we can leave Big Mike at RT where I think he belongs anyways.

Old
01-21-2005, 09:18 AM
ajsonor

Resigning Williams is a priority, but there is no way we can mortgage the future on him with Ron Edwards wanting more playing time and assuming Tim Anderson is ready to play after a year of watching and learning. The deal would have to be good for both the team and Williams, which will be an easier deal to do than Jennings.

Old
01-21-2005, 02:36 PM
Takeo

I think our ideal pick in the 2nd round would be David Baas out of Michigan. He's a mauler-type who can play both guard and center. Selecting Baas would have two positive effects: 1) an immediate upgrade at left guard; and/or 2) provide the option to cut Teague on June 1st for cap relief if Tucker continues to impress. I don't think he'll be available at our own slot, but if we can trade up with either Oakland or Arizona, we may have a shot. Maybe Henry + Bills 2nd for Raiders/Cardinals 2nd + 4th?? I peg these two teams as the leading suitors for Henry as Miami has nothing to offer and I'm pretty sure Gruden has his sights set on Ronnie Brown with the 5th overall pick.

Old
01-21-2005, 04:32 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Clarett!Just Kidding,I wouldn't mind getting Adam Terry out of Syracuse....his stock has been rising quickly the last few weeks.My dream trade would be trade Henry to Tampa for a 2nd.

First 3 picks would hopefully be

2nd:Adam Terry
2nd:Bryant McFadden
3rd:Mike Nugent

That would be a great draft....get a stud kicker,a good developing lineman and a solid corner.

Old
01-21-2005, 10:40 PM
Ken McKenna
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Ken McKenna
I know most of the talk regarding a Henry trade centers around draft picks, but I wouldn't mind seeing the Bills move Henry for an established talent for the offensive or defensive lines. If there is a club with some depth at those positions that is in need of a running back, it might be easier to get some quality for the pick. Getting a draft pick is all well and good, but we need players that can help us win now, not later.

Old
01-23-2005, 10:31 PM
Takeo

Here's my first mock:

ROUND I

49ers: QB Aaron Rodgers, Cal

Dolphins: RB Cedric Benson, Texas

Browns: QB Alex Smith, Utah

Bears: WR Mike Williams, USC

Bucs: RB Ronnie Brown, Auburn

Titans: OT Alex Barron, FSU

Raiders: RB Cadillac Williams, Auburn

Cardinals: CB Antrel Rolle, Miami

Redskins: WR Braylon Edwards, Michigan

Lions: DE Dan Cody, Oklahoma

Cowboys: DE Erasmus James, Wisconsin

Chargers: LB Derrick Johnson, Texas

Texans: S Thomas Davis, Georgia

Panthers: OT Jammal Brown, Oklahoma

Chiefs: LB Shawne Merriman, Maryland

Saints: DT Travis Johnson, FSU

Bengals: TE Heath Miller, Virginia

Vikings: CB Pac-Man Jones, West Virginia

Rams: CB Carlos Rogers, Auburn

Cowboys: LB Channing Crowder, Florida

Jaguars: DE Shaun Cody, USC

Ravens: WR Mark Clayton, Oklahoma

Seahawks: DE Justin Tuck, Notre Dame

Packers: DE David Pollack, Georgia

Broncos: DE Marcus Spears, LSU

Jets: OT Adam Terry, Syracuse

Falcons: S Ernest Shazor, Michigan

Chargers: DT Anttaj Hawthorne, Wisconsin

Colts: CB Marlin Jackson, Michigan

Steelers: WR Troy Williamson, South Carolina

Eagles: G Elton Brown, Virginia

Patriots: CB Justin Miller, Clemson

Old
01-23-2005, 10:38 PM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Good call with Williams going to the Bears, it just might not be at 4. There have been rumblings that Chicago may want to trade down and take him with a later pick. I hope something really strange happens and Thomas Davis becomes a Bill. I liked him before, and now the more I see and read, the more I like him.

Old
01-29-2005, 09:54 AM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Let's talk about Drew and the Cowboys....ESPN is reporting this as his possible destination. I can't find a link right now to match up with what they're saying...

Old
01-29-2005, 10:53 AM
Weezel RX7

Send a message via AIM to Weezel RX7
well, who else would want him? no one really. hes an aging QB with a cannon that has no pocket presence. he wants a lot of money, if he doesnt restructure, for his poor playing skills without a solid O-line. Maybe a second rounder if Dallas is that stupid. I think our best bet is to keep him around at a lower cost to help Losman's development. obviously, he wouldnt like that so its not very realistic. I dont kno if Losman is ready to be a starter, but i do kno i dont wanna go thru the growing pains with him, and im sure hes not the next Roethlisberger. If we are thinking playoffs and super bowl, it has to be within the next 3 years, i dont think we can keep this D in tact forever.

Old
01-29-2005, 12:08 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB
Let's talk about Drew and the Cowboys....ESPN is reporting this as his possible destination. I can't find a link right now to match up with what they're saying...
I saw it. SportsCenter reported it when mentioning rumours floating around at the Senior Bowl.

Old
01-29-2005, 04:14 PM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

What was the gist of it? The Cowboys have an actual interest in the Statue.......err Bledsoe?

Seems like a decent guy, but I want to see Losman starting day 1.

Old
01-29-2005, 05:04 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNintendoChalmrs
What was the gist of it? The Cowboys have an actual interest in the Statue.......err Bledsoe?

Seems like a decent guy, but I want to see Losman starting day 1.
There was nothing substantive about the report. They just said the rumour was floating around. But more specifically, Parcells would be interested if Bledsoe was released. There was no mention of actually trading value for him.

Heck, I'd love to see a Bledsoe for Testaverde deal.

Closed Thread