HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Bills Draft/Free Agency Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2005, 05:15 PM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
There was nothing substantive about the report. They just said the rumour was floating around. But more specifically, Parcells would be interested if Bledsoe was released. There was no mention of actually trading value for him.

Heck, I'd love to see a Bledsoe for Testaverde deal.

Try and trade him......maybe Chicago would bite.

Old
01-29-2005, 05:25 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNintendoChalmrs
Try and trade him......maybe Chicago would bite.
The problem is that everyone is assuming Donahoe will release him. If you assume that, why would you trade something for him when the possibility exists that you could pick him up for nothing? Besides, Bledsoe really isn't worth anything at this point. There are much better options in free agency like Kelly Holcomb.

Old
01-29-2005, 09:47 PM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Tampa Bay Reportedly Not Too High On Henry

Quote:
The reason is not necessarily the second-round draft pick the Bills are believed to be asking for, but Henry's past fumbling problems.

``He's a nice player, but he puts the ball on the ground a lot,'' one NFC team executive said. ``I don't think he was too bad last year, but his history in the league says he gives it up a lot.''
Perhaps they're just posturing?

Old
01-29-2005, 09:52 PM
Hobey Baker

Chris Farley at it again....

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_ho.../25718678.html

Quote:
East offensive line coach Carl Mauck, a veteran NFL assistant, was ejected late in the game for charging across the field to the opposing sideline and throwing a punch, which did not land.
Mental Mauck provided some comedy during his tenure on the Bills sidelines, that's for sure. Apparently, Mauck was upset because an opposing coach had called a blitz, and blitzes weren't permitted in the game....nice!

Old
01-30-2005, 03:26 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB
Tampa Bay Reportedly Not Too High On Henry

Perhaps they're just posturing?
I think it's legit. Gruden's biggest complaint about Pittman is that he fumbles too much. He fumbled several times in crucial situations this past season. If they're looking to correct that, Henry isn't a smart option. Tampa is sitting in a prime position in the draft to pick between Ronnie Brown and Cadillac.

Old
01-30-2005, 06:38 PM
Hobey Baker

http://wkbw.com/sports.aspx?type=sn&NStoryID=990

I'm curious to hear what Jim Kelly has to say about the Bills QB situation. I guess we'll see at 11:30 or so....Ten bucks says he thinks Bledsoe should stick around at least one more year.

Old
01-31-2005, 12:05 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1056
Bills salary cap page

According to Bills Daily estimates which have proved to be reliable in the past, the Bills are about $9 million under the cap. They'll need to reserve some of that (less than $2 million) to sign draft choices and have a practice squad. That still leaves them in good shape as far as having enough cap room to re-sign William/Jennings or replacements for them.
http://www.billsdaily.com/frontoffice/salarycap.shtml

They also provide a list of selected players and the cap consequences if they're cut. Pierson Prioleau ($1.6875 M - $212,500 cap hit if cut) is the only "no brainer" on the list as a candidate for the chopping block.

The Bills need Eric Moulds ($8.7 M) to restructure if they're to do anything meaningful in the offseason. Moulds has expressed unhappiness with Bledsoe and spoke highly of Losman. I think Moulds may only agree to restructure if Bledsoe is leaves. Donahoe doesn't like to be forced to do anything, so this would get ugly if it came to that. Donahoe would probably release Moulds before allowing a player to dictate terms. So I expect Bledsoe to be released before his bonus is due in March to avoid the potential of creating a messy situation.

Old
01-31-2005, 01:25 PM
Hobey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
According to Bills Daily estimates which have proved to be reliable in the past, the Bills are about $9 million under the cap. They'll need to reserve some of that (less than $2 million) to sign draft choices and have a practice squad. That still leaves them in good shape as far as having enough cap room to re-sign William/Jennings or replacements for them.
http://www.billsdaily.com/frontoffice/salarycap.shtml

They also provide a list of selected players and the cap consequences if they're cut. Pierson Prioleau ($1.6875 M - $212,500 cap hit if cut) is the only "no brainer" on the list as a candidate for the chopping block.

The Bills need Eric Moulds ($8.7 M) to restructure if they're to do anything meaningful in the offseason. Moulds has expressed unhappiness with Bledsoe and spoke highly of Losman. I think Moulds may only agree to restructure if Bledsoe is leaves. Donahoe doesn't like to be forced to do anything, so this would get ugly if it came to that. Donahoe would probably release Moulds before allowing a player to dictate terms. So I expect Bledsoe to be released before his bonus is due in March to avoid the potential of creating a messy situation.
When has Moulds spoken negatively of Bledsoe? Was it before their end of the year run? I'm not questioning the validity of that at all, I've just never seen it in print. I would think that Moulds would be more inclined to roll with Bledsoe one more year as opposed to putting his eggs in the rookie's basket.

Old
01-31-2005, 01:36 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB
When has Moulds spoken negatively of Bledsoe? Was it before their end of the year run? I'm not questioning the validity of that at all, I've just never seen it in print. I would think that Moulds would be more inclined to roll with Bledsoe one more year as opposed to putting his eggs in the rookie's basket.
I don't think it was so much that he spoke "negatively" about him but that when given the chance to defend Drew, he chose to hype Losman. I remember reading the quotes, but I'm not sure if they were from TBN or on ESPN radio.

Old
01-31-2005, 02:43 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY

When is the deadline to cut Bledsoe? Before his bonuses take affect anyway...

Thanks in advance!

Old
01-31-2005, 02:47 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY

When is the deadline to cut Bledsoe? Before his bonuses take affect anyway...

Thanks in advance!
March 1

Old
01-31-2005, 03:27 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

Quote:
I don't think it was so much that he spoke "negatively" about him but that when given the chance to defend Drew, he chose to hype Losman. I remember reading the quotes, but I'm not sure if they were from TBN or on ESPN radio.
That article was in TBN. They only leave it up for about a week. When the star receiver won't endorse the starting QB returning it has to be taken negatively. There was also an article in TBN before the Seattle game where Moulds was unhappy he wasn't being thrown to enough and when he was, passes were off the mark.

The dilemma for the Bills is Losman hasn't earned a starting job and it remains to be seen whether he will. The can't just release Bledsoe unless they have another possibility to start at QB on the roster. My idea of signing Curt Warner was shot down, so next up on the podium is Quincy Carter. Carter had a 98.2 QB rating with the Jets. He has all the tools and would be an attractive option to have with Losman.

Old
01-31-2005, 03:46 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
That article was in TBN. They only leave it up for about a week. When the star receiver won't endorse the starting QB returning it has to be taken negatively. There was also an article in TBN before the Seattle game where Moulds was unhappy he wasn't being thrown to enough and when he was, passes were off the mark.

The dilemma for the Bills is Losman hasn't earned a starting job and it remains to be seen whether he will. The can't just release Bledsoe unless they have another possibility to start at QB on the roster. My idea of signing Curt Warner was shot down, so next up on the podium is Quincy Carter. Carter had a 98.2 QB rating with the Jets. He has all the tools and would be an attractive option to have with Losman.
I would prefer Kelly Holcomb to Carter, although I'm not sure what he'll demand on the open market.

Old
01-31-2005, 03:48 PM
Takeo

And just for kicks, here's my prototype draft:

ROUND 2: G/C David Baas, Michigan
ROUND 3 (Henry): OT Khalif Barnes, Washington
ROUND 3: CB Travis Daniels, LSU
ROUND 4: WR Chauncey Stovall, Florida St.
ROUND 5: DE/LB Eric Moore, Florida St.
ROUND 5 (compensatory): QB/WR Matt Jones, Arkansas
ROUND 6: S Junior Rosegreen, Auburn
ROUND 7: FB Jabari Davis, Tennessee

Although I suspect that Barnes will be moving up draft boards following his impressive performance during Senior Bowl week.

Also, I put together this value board for our 2nd round pick:

1. S Ernest Shazor, Michigan
2. TE Alex Smith, Stanford
3. CB Corey Webster, LSU
4. G David Baas, Michigan
5. CB Bryant McFadden, Florida St.
6. DE/LB Demarcus Ware, Troy St.
7. OT Michael Munoz, Tennessee
8. C Vince Carter, Oklahoma
9. K Mike Nugent, Ohio St.
10. C Ben Wilkerson, LSU

Please tolerate my randomness.

Old
01-31-2005, 03:55 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
I want to see the Bills move up and take a Center...

I wouldn't mind seeing a Carter/Losman combo, if Drew is cut anyway...

Old
01-31-2005, 06:49 PM
jpb

Quote:
And just for kicks, here's my prototype draft:
ROUND 5 (compensatory): QB/WR Matt Jones, Arkansas
Jones would be a great pick in the 5th if he's still there. ESPN did a spotlight on him, and people were gushing. I'm thinking he'll be gone by then.

Old
01-31-2005, 07:54 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

Quote:
I would prefer Kelly Holcomb to Carter, although I'm not sure what he'll demand on the open market.
Holcomb would be fine too. I think a lot of QB's with a few years experience would do well in Mularkey and Clements system.

Old
01-31-2005, 09:54 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:

I'd lean more in the direction of the not officially available but will be group: Jay Fiedler or Brad Johnson. Holcomb's not a bad idea but he seems to throw for 400 yards, hurt his arm and miss the next month every time he starts.

Old
02-01-2005, 09:07 AM
Weezel RX7

Send a message via AIM to Weezel RX7
Johnson is worse than Bledsoe. Less arm strength, older, slower...and Fiedler just flat out sucks

Old
02-01-2005, 05:09 PM
Weezel RX7

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1981681

Henry for Surtain!!!!!!!!!! it would solve our mcgee not being ready prob.

Old
02-01-2005, 06:30 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezel RX7
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1981681

Henry for Surtain!!!!!!!!!! it would solve our mcgee not being ready prob.
We'd certainly be getting the value out of that proposal. Miami should probably be looking for a better deal. Man is Sutrain awesome, though.

Old
02-01-2005, 06:36 PM
Weezel RX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon
We'd certainly be getting the value out of that proposal. Miami should probably be looking for a better deal. Man is Sutrain awesome, though.
throw a pick in...maybe a 2006 second rd pick

Old
02-01-2005, 06:43 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
throw a pick in...maybe a 2006 second rd pick
I really don't have a good eye for grading value in NFL deals, but if that works I'd certainly give it a try.

I don't think Henry alone will get us much, though, so if he can help us turn a second rounder into a Pro Bowl corner, then I"m for it.

Old
02-01-2005, 08:22 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Johnson is worse than Bledsoe. Less arm strength, older, slower...and Fiedler just flat out sucks

And your suggestions would be (and just as a warning, don't expect me to respond well to the likes of Warner, Garcia or Gannon).

Old
02-01-2005, 08:34 PM
Hobey Baker

Mike McMahon....on the cheap.

Closed Thread