HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football > Fantasy Football

Which QB's would you pick before which RB's?

Old
07-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Hammettf2b

vCash: 14277
Which QB's would you pick before which RB's?

You got Rice, Foster, McCoy MJD, but is it crazy to take a Brees/Rodgers before any of them? If i had the lets say 3rd or 4th pick i was thinking of taking someone like Brees. What do you think?

Hammettf2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Shape
Go Sharks :(

vCash: 500
I see no problem with taking an elite QB early.

Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 02:48 PM
Hammettf2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post
I see no problem with taking an elite QB early.
as early as 1st?

Old
07-10-2012, 12:25 PM
struckmatch

Here is my rule for my draft this year...if I don't get one of Foster, Rice, or McCoy I'll be taking an Elite QB (I have them ranked as Rodgers, Brees, Brady) with my first round pick, and then trying to land a Matt Forte/Jamaal Charles RB combo for my next two picks.

WR's are very deep this year so outside of Megatron (who I won't be drafting because of a) Madden Curse and b) I won't be taking a WR in round 1 and that's where he'll go) I think you can wait and land guys who had off years that hopefully will bounce back.

I think Miles Austin, DeSean Jackson, Vincent Jackson are all guys you can target in rounds 5 - 7/8 who could all have good years. Even Hakeem Nicks will slip a bit due to the possibility of him missing weeks 1/2.

All in all, I'm either getting a stud RB in round 1 or a stud QB, but taking Rodgers, Brees, or Brady in round 1 is not at all a bad strategy.

struckmatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 03:53 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammettf2b View Post
You got Rice, Foster, McCoy MJD, but is it crazy to take a Brees/Rodgers before any of them? If i had the lets say 3rd or 4th pick i was thinking of taking someone like Brees. What do you think?
I would need to know what your league scoring system is like to answer that. Most of the fantasy draft media will rarely recommend drafting a QB over the top RBs, however almost all those recommendations are based on scoring systems where QB touchdowns have lesser value that RB touchdowns. I'm used to playing in leagues where QB and RB touchdowns are equal, which shifts the relative value of QBs much higher than your typical fantasy draft guru has them.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:03 PM
Hammettf2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
I would need to know what your league scoring system is like to answer that. Most of the fantasy draft media will rarely recommend drafting a QB over the top RBs, however almost all those recommendations are based on scoring systems where QB touchdowns have lesser value that RB touchdowns. I'm used to playing in leagues where QB and RB touchdowns are equal, which shifts the relative value of QBs much higher than your typical fantasy draft guru has them.
ya its just a normal scoring system league. im also in a league where QBs get 6pts for tds, 1pt for comp and the 1st round is filled with qbs, so i could understand that in that situation.

Old
07-12-2012, 11:43 AM
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

vCash: 150
My plan is I'm taking the big 3, Ryan Mathews, and Chris Johnson before I take any other positions.

I may take Rodgers at #4 depending on my mood on draft day. But I'm not taking any other QB until at least the 10th pick. I personally like the value of some QBs later on.

ShadowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 03:04 PM
Hammettf2b

so I've been doing some mock drafts to see what i might be able to get if i took a qb early and visa versa took a qb late. turns out i ended up with better teams when i took a qb late imho. i would end up with a qb like rivers or romo or either of the manning bros, but with very good rbs. i think i like that better than someone like brees, rogers, brady and an ok rb and someone who i would consider a flex rb as my 2nd.

Old
07-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'

Every year I've made the mistake of taking a QB way too late... This year if the cards are right I plan on definitely taking a QB in the 1st round and I believe there will be some steals in later rounds at RB.. one that comes to mind is Adrian Peterson. I think a lot of people will steer clear of him in the opening rounds and I firmly believe he will be a steal.

QBs I have on my radar

Brees
Brady
Rodgers

If I don't get any of those 3 I may wait a few rounds and take a gamble on Peyton..

Old
07-28-2012, 07:10 PM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Outside of the big 3 guys, RBs are way too hard to predict. Split carries, goal line vultures, injuries make the position a crap shoot. If you can get McCoy, Rice or Foster go do it, but I'd look to grab Rodgers, Brady or Brees otherwise. In general the top 5-10 QBs fluctuate a lot less than the RBs do year to year.

Last edited by CFD: 07-28-2012 at 07:15 PM.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 07:13 PM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
so I've been doing some mock drafts to see what i might be able to get if i took a qb early and visa versa took a qb late. turns out i ended up with better teams when i took a qb late imho. i would end up with a qb like rivers or romo or either of the manning bros, but with very good rbs. i think i like that better than someone like brees, rogers, brady and an ok rb and someone who i would consider a flex rb as my 2nd.
That's exactly where I'm at. I like the way my team looks much better when I grab a Rivers/Romo/Manning in the 5-6 range as opposed to taking Rodgers/Brady/Brees in the 1st. That being said, you certainly wouldn't be crazy taking Rodgers first overall. The one thing those elite QBs have going for them is there's a much greater chance of an RB either getting hurt or having a down year than a QB (aside from maybe Vick). So while I'm always inclined to take an RB with my first pick, I think it may be safer to go with a QB. I've always found it pretty easy to find RBs and WRs in the free agent pool throughout the season though. The same cannot be said for QBs.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:58 PM
Hammettf2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
That's exactly where I'm at. I like the way my team looks much better when I grab a Rivers/Romo/Manning in the 5-6 range as opposed to taking Rodgers/Brady/Brees in the 1st. That being said, you certainly wouldn't be crazy taking Rodgers first overall. The one thing those elite QBs have going for them is there's a much greater chance of an RB either getting hurt or having a down year than a QB (aside from maybe Vick). So while I'm always inclined to take an RB with my first pick, I think it may be safer to go with a QB. I've always found it pretty easy to find RBs and WRs in the free agent pool throughout the season though. The same cannot be said for QBs.
Very true sir, good point. I'm just so confused this year when it comes to my drafts, I don't know what I'm going to do. I guess it all depends on what happens during the draft and I will wing it from there lol

Old
08-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Ziggy66

vCash: 50
Having the exact same problem. I draft 2, 19 then 22nd. On the mock drafts I tried qb RB RB and RB qb RB and found I had a better well rounded team with picking one elite RB in the first round (foster/rice) then a solid qb at 19 (Vick/e.manning) then another solid RB at 22 (Peterson/lynch).

Drafting qb/RB/RB I felt that I got burnt a bit in the RB feild.

Oh well I think I will just pick based upon the opening pick. If he goes qb I may as well scoop foster. If he takes foster I may as well take Rogers or rice.

Fml I wish I was drafting 4th ha

Ziggy66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 09:06 PM
BGDDYKWL

^^^^^
Completely agree. I like the way my team looks much better with Foster and say Cam/Stafford/Vick than Rodgers and say McFadden/Richardson/Forte or whatever. That being said, probably safer to go with Rodgers (although I always find it tough to actually do it). And yeah, 4th is the best pick IMO. If Foster/Rice/McCoy go, then you get Rodgers, and if someone takes Rodgers you still get one of the top tier backs.

Old
08-16-2012, 02:42 PM
Trap Jesus

Foster before anyone as I think he's way better than any other RB, but then I'd take Rodgers/Brady/Brees over anyone else. After those 4, I'd definitely try to get RBs and WRs before taking a QB as there's still a lot of quality ones to get. The RB pool is really weak, but passing up guaranteed monster numbers from those 3 QBs is tough to do. The receivers pool is really deep as well, so I'd probably advise going 1/2 on RBs in the first two rounds (but I wouldn't say no to Megatron of course).

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 04:40 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

I dont believe in the hype of drafting a QB in round 1 or 2...

very few times have I seen the team that drafted a Rodgers, Brees, or Brady in the finals against me...

it all depends on scoring and how well you prepare the rest of your team, but I never draft a QB until round 6-7 as I still land a top 10-12 QB in the mold of Romo, Manning, Rivers, Ryan etc... and still load up on RB's and WR's...

this year I am jumping higher on WR's then ever before...I dont care what people say about the depth at the wideout position, you land the elite ones when you can as the running backs are ridiculously thin with so many tandems going on, that outside of the top 3 running backs, I bet the guy I picked in round 8 (Ryan Williams -Arizona) will have numbers that resemble that of Marshawn Lynch going in round 2-3...

there are going to be a lot of devastated fantasy players this year that went all in on running backs, only to see the guys that landed elite receivers in the top 3 rounds and those wild card rb's like Williams, Kevin Smith, Rashard Jennings, Reggie Bush, etc smoke right past them....

dont get caught up in end of season point totals, like Darren McFadden should finish with 215 points....focus on players with a history of health and consistency....I would rather draft guys that average 7-8 points per game, then get those guys that have 2-3 monster games like 25 points, but go invisible for 5 games, then hit under 6 points 3 more times....you know who they are, dont buy into the hype...use your head and be smart...this year, everyone is going to be looking for runningbacks..dont blow your load on these guys as you might get the "wrong" ones!!

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 05:20 PM
Hammettf2b

I don't know, the way I see it is, Rogers will not put up the same numbers he did last year. He would be lucky to get 40 TD's IMHO. Just look at his previous years. Take Dan Marino for example, the year he broke the yards record, he didn't come close to those numbers the following year. I just don't see Rogers doing that again. It's just to difficult to do. so when you take someone like Rogers in the 1st round based the his previous years performance, i just think ur setting urself up for disappointment. the same with cam newton, i just dont see him getting that many rushing TDs again, therefore i don't find it justifiable taking him as early as hes going in mock drafts so far. as for WR, theres only 1 elite and thats Megatron. after that 2-25 are a coin toss as far as production is concerned. i don't know fellas, i think im going RBs in the first 3 rounds. theres just too much value later in the draft at the other positions late

Old
08-16-2012, 06:05 PM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
as for WR, theres only 1 elite and thats Megatron. after that 2-25 are a coin toss as far as production is concerned. i don't know fellas, i think im going RBs in the first 3 rounds. theres just too much value later in the draft at the other positions late
Completely agree. I'm real high on Julio, and I could see an argument for Fitz, but aside from those two you have a whole assortment of guys (Jennings, Jordy, Roddy, AJ, Miles, Dez, Cruz, Nicks, VJax, DJax, Maclin, Bowe, Marshall, Green, Welker, Harvin, Colston, Wallace, Brown, Lloyd, etc.) who are all essentially interchangeable. After the top 10-12 RBs are off the board you can really find yourself in trouble.

Old
08-16-2012, 09:12 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
I don't know, the way I see it is, Rogers will not put up the same numbers he did last year. He would be lucky to get 40 TD's IMHO. Just look at his previous years. Take Dan Marino for example, the year he broke the yards record, he didn't come close to those numbers the following year. I just don't see Rogers doing that again. It's just to difficult to do. so when you take someone like Rogers in the 1st round based the his previous years performance, i just think ur setting urself up for disappointment. the same with cam newton, i just dont see him getting that many rushing TDs again, therefore i don't find it justifiable taking him as early as hes going in mock drafts so far. as for WR, theres only 1 elite and thats Megatron. after that 2-25 are a coin toss as far as production is concerned. i don't know fellas, i think im going RBs in the first 3 rounds. theres just too much value later in the draft at the other positions late
I actually feel the exact same thing with running backs....there is going to be so much blah that guys you get in the later rounds at RB are gonna be the ones you ride during the year..

Old
08-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Hick Leafs Fan
HickTown

Im new to football, so i figured i ask your thoughts on my rankings:

1 Arian Foster RB
2 Aaron Rodgers QB
3 Ray Rice RB
4 LeSean McCoy RB
5 Drew Brees QB
6 Calvin Johnson WR
7 Ryan Mathews RB
8 Maurice Jones-Drew RB
9 Chris Johnson RB
10 Tom Brady QB
11 Larry Fitzgerald WR
12 Trent Richardson RB
13 Matthew Stafford QB
14 Cam Newton QB
15 Jimmy Graham TE
16 Darren McFadden RB
17 Rob Gronkowski TE

I Rate QB's Higher but im not sure if i should rate rbs higher?

Thoughts

Hick Leafs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 11:22 AM
Trap Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsFan10 View Post
Im new to football, so i figured i ask your thoughts on my rankings:
RBs are ridiculously thin compared to QBs and especially WRs. I would definitely try to get at least 1 RB in the first 2 rounds. There's the group of three QBs (Rodgers, Brady, Brees) that are significantly ahead of any other QB, so it's tough to pass on them, but really, there are about 12-15 QBs in total that would make at least decent starters, more than enough to just sit there and wait in most fantasy leagues. And then the pool for WRs are even deeper than that (although I'd still be taking receivers as early as the second round, with the possible exception of Calvin Johnson).

As for your rankings themselves, Matthews is injured for the first month of the season so I'd avoid him.

Last edited by Trap Jesus: 08-17-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old
08-17-2012, 11:48 AM
Hammettf2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
RBs are ridiculously thin compared to QBs and especially WRs. I would definitely try to get at least 1 RB in the first 2 rounds. There's the group of three QBs (Rodgers, Brady, Brees) that are significantly ahead of any other QB, so it's tough to pass on them, but really, there are about 12-15 QBs in total that would make at least decent starters, more than enough to just sit there and wait in most fantasy leagues. And then the pool for WRs are even deeper than that (although I'd still be taking receivers as early as the second round, with the possible exception of Calvin Johnson).

As for your rankings themselves, Matthews is injured for the first month of the season so I'd avoid him.

did they already announce that? last i heard he was out 4-6 weeks which would land him back towards the beginning of the season

Old
08-17-2012, 12:14 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
[/B]

did they already announce that? last i heard he was out 4-6 weeks which would land him back towards the beginning of the season
From what I've heard he'll be back just in time for the start of the season. That said, who knows if they'll be some lingering effects from the injury. Still, I don't think it warrants avoiding him on draft day.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 12:26 PM
Trap Jesus

Thought I saw something that said he's out until October. Here it is:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...er-doctor-says

Old
08-17-2012, 01:59 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

I own Matthews and trust me when I say I took a risk in picking him 8th overall... and though he is semi brittle, I believe he will be back intime to play in either week 1 or 2 at the worst...

here is his update from CBS Sports, not sure what NFL.com was even talking about with that above link..

Mathews expects to be back for Week 1

Ryan Mathews, RB, SD

News: Injured Chargers running back Ryan Mathews told XTRA Sports 1560 in San Diego that there's "no doubt" he'll be ready for the start of the season. Mathews broke the clavicle in his shoulder on his first preseason carry against the Packers and is expected to be out until at least the end of the preseason. Mathews is reportedly out of his sling already and participating in light individual workouts, seemingly ahead of schedule.

Analysis: The San Diego Union-Tribune believes the Chargers will still count on Mathews to carry the majority of the rushing workload but admits the track record of his durability is a concern. The fact Mathews could be back by the season opener means Fantasy owners can't downgrade him too much on Draft Day. We have all seen the damage he can do when healthy. While Mathews has durability issues, he is still worth owning in Fantasy because of his big-play abilities. Expect him to get snagged between 12th and 18th overall in drafts as a borderline No. 1/No. 2 Fantasy rusher. If you pick him Mathews, spending a pick in Round 10 or 11 on Ronnie Brown is a safe move