HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tobias Enstrom to Colorado?

Old
07-09-2012, 03:45 PM
KodiakArrest
MacWinnin'

vCash: 500
Tobias Enstrom to Colorado?

What would it take from the Avs to pry Enstrom away from Winnipeg?

A little curious for this one. With Enstrom being a UFA in 2013 I wonder what the pricetag would be.

Last edited by KodiakArrest: 07-09-2012 at 04:16 PM.
KodiakArrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 04:38 PM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by FjordToBoard View Post

A little curious for this one. With Enstrom being a UFA in 2013 I wonder what the pricetag would be.
I wrote this on the Jets board last week in a discussion about whether the team should try to re-sign him or move him if he's set on testing the UFA market next summer:

Quote:
A healthy Enstrom is a Top 10 offensive D-man who can QB the PP and move the puck out of the zone. He plays a solid defensive game - he's not big, but he is smart and doesn't panic in his own zone. He's coming off a bad year - only 0.53 ppg, compared to 0.71 and 0.61 ppg in the two preceding seasons respectively. He's heading into the last year of his contract earning $4.5 million (cap hit: $3.75 million). He's a UFA at the end of the season and if he were on the UFA market today, he'd probably be looking at over $6 million/year on at least a 5 year deal...and that's a wildly conservative estimate. To compare offensive contributions, Garrison's best ppg is this year's at 0.43; Carle = 0.46; Wideman = 0.56; Suter = 0.58. So Enstrom's "bad year" offensively, is better than Garrison and Carle's. His good years are better than all of them. He probably better defensively than all of them except Suter.
Is that how you'd view him? Everyone targets guys who've had an off year. I think the Jets would like Duchene or Stastny - if the Avalanche think they're deep enough at C, have a shot at re-signing Enstrom and/or feel he's enough to take the team to the next level...

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 04:41 PM
Chronos1337

It would take a younger top 6 C or RW preferably a playmaker

Chronos1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 04:41 PM
KodiakArrest
MacWinnin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
I wrote this on the Jets board last week in a discussion about whether the team should try to re-sign him or move him if he's set on testing the UFA market next summer:

Is that how you'd view him? Everyone targets guys who've had an off year. I think the Jets would like Duchene or Stastny - if the Avalanche think they're deep enough at C, have a shot at re-signing Enstrom and/or feel he's enough to take the team to the next level...
The real dealbreaker would be the inability to resign him after this year. Parting with Stastny may be a possibility as we are deep at Center but with the uncertainty of Enstrom resigning after one year it would be hard to make that deal happen. The Avs really lack an offensive quarterback type defensemen at this moment and I believe he would work wonders for this team.

I think it would be a great deal for the Avalanche if it was a sure thing he would be around for more than a year.

Old
07-09-2012, 04:50 PM
Kloparren
Hth

I like ENstrom and I think he's the most underrated dman in the league, a guy who can be a decent no1 and an excellent top pairing dman which is what we need however I would not be prepared to trade even 1 asset for him unless there's guarantee that he'll re-sign.

Basically he's a guy that a contender needs to go for or a team like Detroit who's looking to win now. Avs are still rebuilding, it'd be pointless to move assets for only one possible yr of Enstrom. Might be enough to get us into the playoffs as long as the trade doesn't involve Stastny but it won't be enough to win.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 04:53 PM
KodiakArrest
MacWinnin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
I like ENstrom and I think he's the most underrated dman in the league, a guy who can be a decent no1 and an excellent top pairing dman which is what we need however I would not be prepared to trade even 1 asset for him unless there's guarantee that he'll re-sign.

Basically he's a guy that a contender needs to go for or a team like Detroit who's looking to win now. Avs are still rebuilding, it'd be pointless to move assets for only one possible yr of Enstrom. Might be enough to get us into the playoffs as long as the trade doesn't involve Stastny but it won't be enough to win.
He will be cashing in next year as well. Which is why Winnipeg may have to accept less in a trade if they want value, unless they think they can resign him.

Old
07-09-2012, 04:57 PM
agreen23

I know this is a what if scenario... but if you guys know you will be unable to sign him when he hits FA and are not going to make the playoffs. What would you require of him at the deadline as rental to a cup contender? Would a first be enough since its a very deep draft?

agreen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:01 PM
Seanahue

vCash: 50
The one I always throw out is:

To Winnipeg:
Stastny

To Colorado:
Enstrom
Conditional 2014 First

The pick is based around Enstrom resigning with the team.

That being said....I have no problem with Winnipeg signing him to a 5 year $6.5 mil/year contract.

Seanahue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:02 PM
KodiakArrest
MacWinnin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanahue View Post
The one I always throw out is:

To Winnipeg:
Stastny

To Colorado:
Enstrom
Conditional 2014 First

The pick is based around Enstrom resigning with the team.

That being said....I have no problem with Winnipeg signing him to a 5 year $6.5 mil/year contract.
I think this would work for both teams. Having that offensive force on the D would really make this Colorado team scary and Stastny would give Winnipeg a playermaker they sorely need.

Old
07-09-2012, 05:11 PM
Seanahue

vCash: 50
Quote:
I think this would work for both teams. Having that offensive force on the D would really make this Colorado team scary and Stastny would give Winnipeg a playermaker they sorely need.
It would be great but I would also like to see something like a conditional 2nd coming back Winnipegs way. I am really struggling with how close it is. Would like to hear some input from others as well. I kind of feel like Winnipeg might be giving up too much but am not really too sure.

Seanahue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:40 PM
bohlmeister
Horny for Offense!

vCash: 400
I think if Stastny was going the other way, the Avs would need a center back. The Avs have set their team up to run 3 scoring lines. They now, after the off season and deadline moves, have enough wingers to compliment 3 centers. I don't see them planning to move any of their centers. They need to add a top defender without moving a forward. Probably not going to happen without moving their 1st, which I would think about if I was Sherman.

That being said, I love Enstrom, and think he would be a great fit on the Avs. The deal in the OP is probably favoring the Avs depending on what the conditions of that 1st is.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:44 PM
KodiakArrest
MacWinnin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
I think if Stastny was going the other way, the Avs would need a center back. The Avs have set their team up to run 3 scoring lines. They now, after the off season and deadline moves, have enough wingers to compliment 3 centers. I don't see them planning to move any of their centers. They need to add a top defender without moving a forward. Probably not going to happen without moving their 1st, which I would think about if I was Sherman.

That being said, I love Enstrom, and think he would be a great fit on the Avs. The deal in the OP is probably favoring the Avs depending on what the conditions of that 1st is.
If the Avs would need a center back who would be on the Winnipeg roster they would be willing to throw in if the Avs offered someone like Tyson Barrie as a secondary piece with Stastny?

Old
07-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Hansen Brother

Quote:

There seem to be two schools of thought on what sort of return we would want if we were to trade Enstrom.

The first is a hockey trade, a straight player for player with tweeking if necessary. That would describe the Enstrom for Statsney trade. Personally I'm not too sold on this as we have a fairly young team and are probably 4-5 years away from realistically competing for the cup.

The second is we should trade Enstrom for futures. Using the Burns and Kaberle trades Enstrom should be worth something around a young roster player, a prospect, and a pick. I like this formula a little more as I think it suits the organizations time frame better.

I'm not sure what Denver would have that would fit that as you guys aren't that much further ahead in building your team than we are.

Hansen Brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 06:26 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen Brother View Post
There seem to be two schools of thought on what sort of return we would want if we were to trade Enstrom.

The first is a hockey trade, a straight player for player with tweeking if necessary. That would describe the Enstrom for Statsney trade. Personally I'm not too sold on this as we have a fairly young team and are probably 4-5 years away from realistically competing for the cup.

The second is we should trade Enstrom for futures. Using the Burns and Kaberle trades Enstrom should be worth something around a young roster player, a prospect, and a pick. I like this formula a little more as I think it suits the organizations time frame better.

I'm not sure what Denver would have that would fit that as you guys aren't that much further ahead in building your team than we are.
Colorado is a lot further ahead up front and Winnipeg has better defense. Pretty even in goal IMO

Honestly I wouldn't give up any more than Barrie + 1st for Enstrom and that is right now..

Do you really think Enstrom is going to get you the same return as Staal? Carolina KNEW they had a good chance of getting Staal to sign long term because of his brother. Any team trading for Enstrom wouldn't have that luxury. Besides for the fact that Staal is 23...

You want a similar return to what Richards and Cater got and they were on long term cap friendly deals. Ha.. NO WAY

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Jets
Resident Sieve

vCash: 170
Burmistrov + Enstrom

for

Duchene + Barrie

Jets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 06:38 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets View Post
Burmistrov + Enstrom

for

Duchene + Barrie
lol No..

I don't know how it's unclear as to the fact that Enstrom's lack of a contract kills his value. Burmistrov has not proven anything except for that he has strong potential.

And Barrie isn't a friggen throw in..

How about Stastny for E. Kane?

Old
07-09-2012, 06:39 PM
KodiakArrest
MacWinnin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
lol No..

I don't know how it's unclear as to the fact that Enstrom's lack of a contract kills his value. Burmistrov has not proven anything except for that he has strong potential.

And Barrie isn't a friggen throw in..
The only way I see the deal happening is with a 1st rounder with conditions for Enstrom resigning with Colorado. I was just curious to see what player would be thrown around the most from Colorado. I have heard a lot of Stastny and that would work WITH a pick as listed above but without that pick it would have to be a lot less than Stastny and would be less for ANY team pursuing Enstrom.

Old
07-09-2012, 06:51 PM
denniscasa
Blues Bandwagon 2013

What about this:

To COL
Enstrom
Little
Conditional 1st round pick

To WPG
Duchene
Barrie

denniscasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 06:53 PM
Hansen Brother

Quote:
Colorado is a lot further ahead up front and Winnipeg has better defense. Pretty even in goal IMO

Honestly I wouldn't give up any more than Barrie + 1st for Enstrom and that is right now..

Do you really think Enstrom is going to get you the same return as Staal? Carolina KNEW they had a good chance of getting Staal to sign long term because of his brother. Any team trading for Enstrom wouldn't have that luxury. Besides for the fact that Staal is 23...

You want a similar return to what Richards and Cater got and they were on long term cap friendly deals. Ha.. NO WAY
I agree completely. When the Sharks traded for Burns they must have known he would resign with them otherwise they would have never given up what they did. That definitely would have a big impact on the return we could expect. However, I see no reason why something similiar could not be arranged with Toby. If it can, the return would be closer to Burns, if not, closer to Kaberle.

Hansen Brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 06:53 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
The only way I see the deal happening is with a 1st rounder with conditions for Enstrom resigning with Colorado. I was just curious to see what player would be thrown around the most from Colorado. I have heard a lot of Stastny and that would work WITH a pick as listed above but without that pick it would have to be a lot less than Stastny and would be less for ANY team pursuing Enstrom.
The pick would have to come with no conditions.. Because honestly with Stastny the Jets are not a bottom 10 team.

The pick wouldn't be high enough to justify the loss of BOTH Stastny & Enstrom even if it was top 5.

Stastny having two years left makes a whole hell of a lot more difference because after two straight years with a team you have a lot better chance of resigning a player than with only one year.

Stastny would cost you Enstrom + Burmistrov + Conditional 1st

If Enstrom walked then Colorado would still have Burmi and a mid round 1st.

Honestly IF IF IF the Jets wanted to make that trade I would probably do it. I could see Colorado adding a mid level prospect or a depth defenseman like Wilson. So..

This is what I would propose..

:

Enstrom
Burmistrov
1st

:

Stastny
Jones
2nd

We can afford to lose Jones with Stastny since we have Jones, PAP, Downie, & Hejduk down the right side. And to be honest Jones plays his best with Stastny anyways.

That would give the Jets a line of Kane - Stastny - Jones up front.

Last edited by CobraAcesS: 07-09-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old
07-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
The pick would have to come with no conditions.. Because honestly with Stastny the Jets are not a bottom 10 team.

The pick wouldn't be high enough to justify the loss of BOTH Stastny & Enstrom even if it was top 5.

Stastny having two years left makes a whole hell of a lot more difference because after two straight years with a team you have a lot better chance of resigning a player than with only one year.

Stastny would cost you Enstrom + Burmistrov + Conditional 1st

If Enstrom walked then Colorado would still have Burmi and a mid round 1st.
It's probably best for you to move onto another top pairing d-man.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 07:15 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Stastny for Enstrom + conditional 1st is too much of a risk for the Avs, if Enstrom walks then the Avs are left with a 1st round pick for Stastny and 1 year of Enstrom.

Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 07:16 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
It's probably best for you to move onto another top pairing d-man.
Fair enough..

I honestly would rather ADD to Stastny and try and get Yandle or Ryan anyways. The Jets are not the only team out there with Defense that is looking for a center.

Besides you guys just picked up a center..

Old
07-09-2012, 07:23 PM
denniscasa
Blues Bandwagon 2013

Quote:
Fair enough..

I honestly would rather ADD to Stastny and try and get Yandle or Ryan anyways. The Jets are not the only team out there with Defense that is looking for a center.

Besides you guys just picked up a center..
I found it surprising that none of us Jets fans mentioned this in this thread. We just got Jokinen. We don't need another centre

denniscasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Jets
Resident Sieve

vCash: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by speik View Post
I found it surprising that none of us Jets fans mentioned this in this thread. We just got Jokinen. We don't need another centre
Could always use another Centre. If we picked up another Centre, that fills our RW need, as we shift Little back out to the wing.

Jets is online now   Reply With Quote