HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Sharks courting Doan

Closed Thread

Old
07-16-2012, 04:48 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
6 mil is overpayment for Shane Doan but that's the UFA market for the higher tier players. Doan is a 50 point player in a highly conservative system. Chances are his production will go up slightly in the Sharks' system especially with a likely increase in power play production.

A four year term for someone that will be turning 36 at the start of the season is concerning when it's not something they can really do much with but hope that he plays it out...and given his style, you would have to assume a breakdown is inevitable even with his durability thus far.

If Doan is signed, you can trade Clowe to a place like Toronto for Gunnarsson or some left side PMD, and then trade Murray for either a 3rd line forward or a 2nd round pick. That would be ideal but I'd probably pass on Doan if 4 years/24 million is the price.

Old
07-16-2012, 04:49 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Pollak updated his blog saying Doan's agent told him there was no deadline.
July 1st: "July 9th deadline"
July 9th: "July 16th deadline"
July 16th: "no deadline"

Shut the **** up and sign so I don't have to read about your ass anymore

Old
07-16-2012, 04:50 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 50
Man, I wish at my job I could set deadlines then just deny they ever existed.

Old
07-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Sharks4Life

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
Man, I wish at my job I could set deadlines then just deny they ever existed.
This.

Old
07-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Franchise13

To be fair, it's not the athlete's fault everyone is holding their breath.

It's his life, he can take as much time as he wants or change his mind if he wants. He's put himself in a position to do so. I'll never hold that against someone.

Old
07-16-2012, 05:01 PM
SharksAddict

All the delay tells you is just how badly he wants to stay in Phoenix. I'd be concerned about how much it will affect his play should he end up anywhere but Phoenix.

Old
07-16-2012, 05:39 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
6 mil is overpayment for Shane Doan but that's the UFA market for the higher tier players. Doan is a 50 point player in a highly conservative system. Chances are his production will go up slightly in the Sharks' system especially with a likely increase in power play production.

A four year term for someone that will be turning 36 at the start of the season is concerning when it's not something they can really do much with but hope that he plays it out...and given his style, you would have to assume a breakdown is inevitable even with his durability thus far.

If Doan is signed, you can trade Clowe to a place like Toronto for Gunnarsson or some left side PMD, and then trade Murray for either a 3rd line forward or a 2nd round pick. That would be ideal but I'd probably pass on Doan if 4 years/24 million is the price.
on paper phx seems conservative, but to my personal observation i dont see any reason for an uptick in his production with the sharks. there was a lot of transitional attacking going on, with aggressive forechecking. and he was right in the middle of how many shots he took vs our top shooters with 226. unless he is just a wild shooter taking shots wherever he is, i dont see him getting much more than that. they werent far off in goals for per game, and pretty much the same as us at even strength goals for per game. we will get about the same production, maybe less. but doubtfully more.

Old
07-16-2012, 05:40 PM
hockeyball

Referendum was denied.

I don't think Doan is going anywhere.

Old
07-16-2012, 05:42 PM
glasgow26

Doan never set a "deadline". He said he wouldn't make a decision BEFORE July 16th, not that he would make his decision ON July 16th. He'll probably decide at some point this week.

Old
07-16-2012, 06:14 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
on paper phx seems conservative, but to my personal observation i dont see any reason for an uptick in his production with the sharks. there was a lot of transitional attacking going on, with aggressive forechecking. and he was right in the middle of how many shots he took vs our top shooters with 226. unless he is just a wild shooter taking shots wherever he is, i dont see him getting much more than that. they werent far off in goals for per game, and pretty much the same as us at even strength goals for per game. we will get about the same production, maybe less. but doubtfully more.
The power play production difference alone between the Sharks and Coyotes would account for a production uptick...especially if he is seeing time with the first unit. You're talking around a ten point difference alone right there.

Old
07-16-2012, 06:56 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Referendum was denied.

I don't think Doan is going anywhere.
Unless Doan was looking for an excuse to go to franchise he has a better chance of winning. He has still not come out and said he is staying in Phoenix. Who knows?

Personally, I hope he stays in Phoenix. He means more that franchise than he will to anyone else.

07-16-2012, 07:57 PM
do0glas

Quote:
The power play production difference alone between the Sharks and Coyotes would account for a production uptick...especially if he is seeing time with the first unit. You're talking around a ten point difference alone right there.
youre talking in such absolutes here. firstly, new system, new players usually means a downward trend in production at first, no guarantee he gets extra PP time either. if we retain our current top six, who moves down?

also his ice time on average is probably more than hed get here, maybe not by a lot. i could see him getting 20 goals, but i dont see him having a 60 point season here.

Old
07-16-2012, 08:31 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
youre talking in such absolutes here. firstly, new system, new players usually means a downward trend in production at first, no guarantee he gets extra PP time either. if we retain our current top six, who moves down?

also his ice time on average is probably more than hed get here, maybe not by a lot. i could see him getting 20 goals, but i dont see him having a 60 point season here.
And you weren't with your evidence? Firstly, in response, new systems/new players don't usually mean a downward trend. Scoring line players tend to stay even with their production from team to team unless there is either an extreme amount of offense ran through them or they are one-dimensional.

Secondly, to answer your question, it is irrelevant who is moved down because someone would be. You don't bring a guy in to that amount of cash and not start him off as a top line player. Thus, his ice time wouldn't be reduced here. There's no reason to suggest otherwise. If the idea is to bring him in to be a 2nd line player/2nd unit PP player, then it is ridiculous to spend 6 million dollars to bring him in.

Old
07-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:

1st unit

thornton, marleau, doan, pavs, boyle

2nd unit

clowe, couture, havlat, burns, demers/braun.

hmmm i don't see a problem with those pp units.

Old
07-16-2012, 10:21 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
1st unit

thornton, marleau, doan, pavs, boyle

2nd unit

clowe, couture, havlat, burns, demers/braun.

hmmm i don't see a problem with those pp units.
It would be ideal to use both Demers and Braun if possible this is where Doan becomes less valuable

Old
07-16-2012, 10:29 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
It would be ideal to use both Demers and Braun if possible this is where Doan becomes less valuable
then who do you put on the other point with boyle? since it is a waste of burns's talents offensively to put him along side boyle on the power play.

i would rather have 4 forwards with boyle, because that means that the 4th forward (pavs in this case), can play farther down in the zone and let boyle just whip shots from the point, with doan in front of the net for screens.

marleau in the slot waiting for rebounds, thornton on the sideboards/behind the net passing to boyle/pavs/marleau

someone is going to have to be bumped down a bit if the sharks want there forward group to get better offensively. this doesn't just pertain to doan either, who gets bumped if semin gets signed? nash makes sense for this part because a top 6 forward is going back the other way no matter what.

Old
07-16-2012, 10:29 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
They're not going to put ideally using Braun and Demers over putting Shane Doan on the first unit if they bring him in. No team will sign a free agent with the kind of money being talked about w/o using him in top offensive situations.

Old
07-16-2012, 10:31 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
They're not going to put ideally using Braun and Demers over putting Shane Doan on the first unit if they bring him in. No team will sign a free agent with the kind of money being talked about w/o using him in top offensive situations.
How much do you think the Sharks offered Doan?

Old
07-16-2012, 10:32 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
3 years. 5M AAV.

Old
07-16-2012, 10:34 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
unreliable (but reliable, if you look at the vlasic signing), twitter account said 4 years, 6 million.

Old
07-16-2012, 10:39 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
No idea, really. I'm just going off the hypothetical number being thrown out which was six mil.

Old
07-16-2012, 11:27 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
unreliable (but reliable, if you look at the vlasic signing), twitter account said 4 years, 6 million.

Old
07-16-2012, 11:34 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

Quote:
4 years, $6 million total?

Hey, I'm cool with near league minimum.

Old
07-16-2012, 11:50 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
4 years, $6 million total?

Hey, I'm cool with near league minimum.
yeah at that price lets sign 9 of him.

Old
07-17-2012, 12:03 AM
do0glas

We don't even have 6 mill to spend on him. Nor is he THE answer, not at that price. Seems like a poor move, IMO when the bottom six has absolutely no scoring on it.

Closed Thread