HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How the 2008 draft killed us....

Old
07-06-2012, 11:15 AM
hawksfan50

vCash: 500
How the 2008 draft killed us....

We took Kyle Beach at #11 and he has yet or if ever to impact or even make the NHL....BUT that is not the worst of it...

We did not have a pick in round two --so cannot blame our vaunted scouting staff for missing on one there...BUT it meant we must have got some right in later rounds since we had no opportunity in round two and in casewe messed up in round one which with Beach it looks like we did ...

So let us look at round 3 and later:

Round 3: SEAN LALONDE --looks like another miss --else he'd be in the discussions for a spot by now...I was slkeptical of the pick at the time because I said strictly 1-way offenseman with no instinct to defend the d-zone properly or the physical play and strenght to knock guys off pucks in the d-zone...However a marvelous skater who I said then sHOULD BE MOVED UP TO FORWARD like they did years ago with DOUG MOHNS...Our vaunted Hawks braintrust still can't understand and of course refuses to take my orginal advice..So Lalomde willbe a career AHl'er or soon be out of hockey because they did not see he just doesn't have the mind to process d-play and doesn't have the want and the physical strength to crease-clear...skilled PMD but the D-flaws are too great to ever overcome...MIght -i said might have a better chance if they moved him up to forward winger -speed to attack the o-zone and far less thinking required than on D...

Round 4: No pick (again our scouts saved from an embarassing miiss again)..

Round 5: TEIGHAN ZAHN--another miss ...no longer in our system..

Round 6: JONATHAN CARLSSON ---he went back to Seeden after a stint in 2009/10 in Rockford and Toledo...no longer in our system...

Round 6:BEN SMITH ---at last a hit? Well--he had a cup of coffee with the big club
--looks like a marginal 4th liner if he sticks for good on some NHL club (probably not us)-but more likely a career AHL'er..

Round 6: BRADEN BIRCH ---still has SR. yr left in college at Cornell ...We'll see if they even offer him a contract or not when he finishes school....
(a Dudley pick--so STANBOW may resent that he is not one of his 'STAN's) boys) but in any case never much in discussions about our future blueline --but we'll see..
Has size but not nasty/physical ...

Round 7" Joe Gleason : Another smallish PMD...North Dakota moved him up to forward in the 2nd half last year due to injury needs up front.. but his small size and lack of anything sppecial precludes him ever having an NHl career ...Another wasted pick by our vaunted scouting staff..

It looks like unless BEACH emerges into something this year (it is getting late and time to sson close the book on him so last chance to impress or be declared a bust)
to rescue this fiasco of a draft -it looks like a toatal disaster..We did get Jimmy Hayes (a toronto draftee) via trade and also David Toews (NYI draftee) via trade but our anateur scouts can't take credit for drafting them if they impact in the NHL...

Now I am not going to go round by round (except for 2 and 4 where we had no picks) to say who we coulda shouda had by picking from the one or two or three
"hits" other teams plucked from those rounds that we could have chosen instead
BUT rather remiond everyone that it was my strategy going into that draft to TAKE GOALIES after round one (2 or 3 of them) ...IN particular I liked 2 1998 born Swedes ---EDDIE LACK and ANDERS LINDBACK ...

LINDBACK was a 7th rounder (Nashville) who backed up Rinne last season and now got traded to TB where they are ecstatic at getting him...

LACK in in the VAN system (signed as a FA a few years ago) and starred in the AHL for their farm team....he would back up Schneider if they trade Luongo...

It is my personal belief if we had drafted these 2--nobody now would be questioning our shaky goaltending with Crawford who would be challengedto keep his job from that kind of goalie depth competition.

ALAS we wasted picks on questionable d-men who (except maybe for Birch) have no NHl careers...when we COULDA SHOULDA taken the 2 swedish goalies somewhere in either round 3,5,6 ....BUT the STUPID hawks braintrust never listyens to me--and are payingf dearly for their mistakes....DEARLY...

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Teravainen
LoveYouRyanNash

Was this necessary?

Teravainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:31 AM
MurrayBannerman
The Portents

vCash: 1062
I think fiddy could get a job at hockey buzz

MurrayBannerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:46 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

i saw who started the thread...and yet i still clicked on it

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:17 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 5113
This just in.... the Blackhawks were the first team in professional sports history to have a bad draft!

Although it is damn impressive that the team's two year old corpse was able to win the Stanley Cup....

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:29 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

It's just so much text!!! Let me summarize, Beach or Smith better turn out to be something or the 2008 draft sucked.

HawksFan74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:26 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
He is unflinching. He won't be back to debate anything he posts.

He is HF50. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 02:29 PM
RomersWorld*

You bring up the point that the reason we suck so bad and had no depth in 2010-11, 2011-12 seasons is because the awful drafting 5-6 years ago. We had no one to bring up and produce. Looks at these drafts...make me sick:

1) Jonathan Toews - Hell yeah!
2) Igor Makarov - Showed some promise, but bust. No NHL experience.
2) Simon Danis-Pepin - lmao...worst I've ever seen. No NHL experience.
3) Tony Lagerstrom - Garbage... no NHL experience
4) Ben Shutron - Awful... no NHL experience
4) Joe Palmer - ECHL backup caliber... no NHL experience
6) Jan-Mikael Jutilainen - Cool name... not good at hockey. No NHL experience.
6) Chris Auger - Junk. No NHL experience
7) Peter LeBlanc - Decent AHLer. No NHL experience

1) Patrick Kane - Nice
2) Billy Sweatt - Bust, Canucks AHL player
2) Akim Aliu - Bust although played okay in Calgary
3) Maxime Tanguay - Sucks. No NHL experience
4) Josh Unice - Sucks. No NHL experience.
5) Joe Lavin - Good AHLer, might become decent NHL 7th d-man. No NHL experience.
6) Richard Greenop - AHLer. Big body, no skills. No NHL experience.

Then the 2008 draft like you mentioned looks like it really sucks.

Even the 2005 draft sucked. WE HAD 12 PICKS AND 1 IS A GOOD NHLer.

1) Jack Skille (7th overall)
2) Mike Blunden
2) Dan Bertram
3) Evan Brophey
4) Niklas Hjalmarsson
4) Nathan Davis - HF50 loved this guy if I remember
4) Denis Istomin
5) Brennan Turner
6) Joe Fallon
6) Joe Charlebois
7) David Kuchejda
7) Adam Hobson

So that is 4 drafts in a row that completely sucked minus a #1 overall, #3 overall and a 4th rounder in Hjalmarsson. 35 picks over 4 years and only 3 players have made a decent impact on the Hawks! 3/35 and the two of those were top 3 picks. Ben Smith excluded. Dear God that is just pathetic drafting and scouting.

Last edited by RomersWorld*: 07-06-2012 at 02:37 PM.
RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 02:53 PM
Steve Larmer

Yes. The 2008 draft killed us so badly that we won the Cup 2 years later. I don't know how we ever got past that dreaded draft.

Steve Larmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 05:07 PM
giovi

after the 03 draft, this quack posted about a hundred times, irate that the hawks didnt "follow my advise" and take either fritsche or bernier instead of seabrook.

'nuf said.

giovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 06:07 PM
Hawkscap

The 05 through 08 drafts killed us (not omitting Toews and Kane)

Hawkscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 06:45 PM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.75 Men

Anything beyond the first round, and even later in the first round, is a crapshoot. Relatively infrequently second round picks make it, and beyond that it's just luck with the picks.

pvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 06:47 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

When you have a good product on the ice that generally means most of your prospects won't even get a shot. The guys that stick on the big club often times aren't the top producers in Rockford. You can say the drafting was bad, but you can also say no one was even given a season in the NHL to prove anything.

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 07:05 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Picking a player with the 11th overall pick who's done nothing in the NHL isn't the worst of it? I'm captivated.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:56 PM
Rexy

Remember when you thought everyone was dumb, and Kane was a bust, and Turris should have been picked #1 overall?

Rexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:34 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
When you have a good product on the ice that generally means most of your prospects won't even get a shot. The guys that stick on the big club often times aren't the top producers in Rockford. You can say the drafting was bad, but you can also say no one was even given a season in the NHL to prove anything.
The failed draft picks had chances with other clubs or to get picked up by other clubs but still didnt make it so them not getting a chance is not true. The drafting was horrible and Im glad Dumas was removed. Hes still a scout in the system though. Now its been Kelly for the past 5 years.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:45 PM
RomersWorld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy View Post
Remember when you thought everyone was dumb, and Kane was a bust, and Turris should have been picked #1 overall?
Yep. We wouldn't have won the Cup with Hawksfan50 at the helm because he would've taken Kyle frickin Turris over Patrick Kane. Looks like the 'vaunted' Hawks' scouts and management are at least 100 times better at scouting than Hawksfan50.

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:50 PM
Cullksinikers

STAN BOWMAN

Please-- listen to me on this one. The guy...only has a job thanks to his daddy. That daddy-many Cups.

BUT he won a Cup as GM...no...Tallon's team did - Bowman got Leddy and what other positives of his reign are there? NONE

I would go on, but I feel like an idiot getting through that.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:01 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
The failed draft picks had chances with other clubs or to get picked up by other clubs but still didnt make it so them not getting a chance is not true. The drafting was horrible and Im glad Dumas was removed. Hes still a scout in the system though. Now its been Kelly for the past 5 years.
Some did, and many didn't see the light of day because the other clubs already had their rolls filled. The drafting wasn't good per se, but you have to admit that there are times when careers can be defined and prospects often lose out. I thought Salak deserved a chance over NHL experienced Emery last year...and then...BUST. But, what if we did give him the backup spot? There's a small possibility something could have happened. Point being, if you don't throw something against the wall, you'll never truly know if it will stick.

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:41 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

rename this thread to "how Tallon failed to give us depth after the Capokalypse took place" or "Tallon and his scouting team: How to fail at drafting"

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 07:09 AM
Hawkscap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
STAN BOWMAN

Please-- listen to me on this one. The guy...only has a job thanks to his daddy. That daddy-many Cups.

BUT he won a Cup as GM...no...Tallon's team did - Bowman got Leddy and what other positives of his reign are there? NONE

I would go on, but I feel like an idiot getting through that.
Yeah , too bad a good part of the team was drafted by Smith and Pulford. Oh and Hossa was a due to the Bowmans not Broken Havlat loving Tallon,

Hawkscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Not Now John
We've gotta get on.

vCash: 2210
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
i saw who started the thread...and yet i still clicked on it
This was also me.

Not Now John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:29 AM
BBSeabs27
#freeseabs

I dont get why HF50 mentions Bowman. He didn't have any say in the 2008 draft, and i think thats evident from the way we've drafted from 2009-2012

BBSeabs27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:33 AM
mikitas donut
Flowers of Antimony

You're killin' me Smalls! You're killin' me!

mikitas donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:06 PM
Steve Larmer

Stupid fat Cat -- Stan BOWMAN

Steve Larmer is offline   Reply With Quote