HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[edm/bos] [edm/nyr] [edm/min]

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-11-2012, 01:29 PM
  #51
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT
 
Buckets and Gloves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
Did you not watch the Oilers in 09-10 (post deadline), and 10-11? Whitney would have been a contender for the Norris if he kept up his play.

09-10 - 19 games, 3g, 8a, 11pts, +7

10-11 - 35games, 2g, 25a, 27pts, +13 on an awful team (-76) sharing minutes against the other teams best with Gilberts pairing. How much better could the guy ****ing be? His sh% was poor and he hit tons of posts, although his PDO was favourable. Prorated that would be a season of 5goals, 59a, 64pts, +30. Although in saying that with his PDO that +/- would have probably went down and he would have probably got more goals due to his sh% probably improving. Either way he was well on his way to a terrific year.

If we combine his two seasons Whitney had 54games, 5g, 33a, 38pts, +20. Prior to the ankle injury he was playing like a number 1 defenseman for the Oilers and it's not even debatable. For a guy who's average 46pts/82games over his career i think your claims are a little off.

The problem with Whitney over his career has been his foot problems, meaning we have often seen two different players. When he's healthy and recovered he's been a #1, when he's been playing hurt/recovering he's been a 2nd pairing guy. Nobody knows if he will recover from his last setback completely, but if he does he should be the good Whitney. Considering he has gotten his feet fixed, and now hopefully the ankle is permanently fixed (and it may not be) he may not have problems with his feet anymore. He had the same problem as Forsberg, and the surgery he's had was a success so i don't think it should be an issue. However one could argue that same successful surgery is what caused the ankle injury, however with the rehab he's done he may have prevented that from ever happening again. Like i said he's a huge question mark, but at his best he's a #1 AINEC.
No, you're just wrong.

As I said, Whitney never has been, and never will be a true #1 defenseman.

If I put a poll up right now "Has Ryan Whitney ever been considered a #1 defenseman or does he pocess the ability to be one in the future"... the poll results would be staggering in favour of no.

I bet 90-95% would say "no, Ryan Whitney has never been and never will be a #1 defenseman"... the other 5-10% would be biased Oiler fans like yourself.

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:43 PM
  #52
Eskimo44
Registered User
 
Eskimo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post
No, you're just wrong.

As I said, Whitney never has been, and never will be a true #1 defenseman.

If I put a poll up right now "Has Ryan Whitney ever been considered a #1 defenseman or does he pocess the ability to be one in the future"... the poll results would be staggering in favour of no.

I bet 90-95% would say "no, Ryan Whitney has never been and never will be a #1 defenseman"... the other 5-10% would be biased Oiler fans like yourself.
Put it one the Oilers board. I'm not saying he's likely to return to that form but you are way out to lunch, prior to the injury he was a #1 guy. In Anaheim he was recovering from the first foot procedure he had to fix his one foot. BTW popularity of opinion proves very little in way of whats right. I provided evidence, you provided some unbelievably weak argument based on conjecture, and i'm the biased one? Obviously we both have bias, but at least i don't rely on the bias of others to substantiate my viewpoint. The reason one provides evidence like i did, is because it is not a product of bias but indisputable results. BTW "considered", is not the same this as was. Perception and reality to not always coincide. A more appropriate question considering my argument was, "Prior to injuring his ankle was Ryan Whitney playing like a #1 defenseman for the Oilers?", not your strawman and bias rife version of the question.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:37 PM
  #53
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mLian View Post
....Trade 2
Ales Hemsky for Brandon Dubinsky/Nik Kulemin.

Both the Rangers and Leafs could use a dynamic forward in their top 6. Oilers need size and phyisicality in theirs. ....
Thanks no.
Not only are you overvaluing Hemsky, both as effective player and horrible contract, but you are grossly underestimating that there is competition for Dubi's services.

In the recent past, for example, posts were made on threads at the big board about Chicago willing to part with either Olsen or McNeil. Things may have changed since the draft, etc., but this is closer barometer, IMO, to what Rangers would want. Otherwise we continue to tinker and play Dubi and get full value for him based on his play on ice.

If you are desperate to move Hemsky, I'd consider doing something around Redden for Hemsky. It's not equal, I'm not saying it is, and NY would have to add --- but not that much. But you are basically looking at 2 players with a coupla years each on a contract ballpark the same amount, etc., i.e., mutual salary dump, with Rangers paying for the privilege that MAYBE if Hemsky is not too injured (track records works vs. this) that he can make contribution as playmaker. That's about it for this

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:45 PM
  #54
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT
 
Buckets and Gloves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
Put it one the Oilers board. I'm not saying he's likely to return to that form but you are way out to lunch, prior to the injury he was a #1 guy. In Anaheim he was recovering from the first foot procedure he had to fix his one foot. BTW popularity of opinion proves very little in way of whats right. I provided evidence, you provided some unbelievably weak argument based on conjecture, and i'm the biased one? Obviously we both have bias, but at least i don't rely on the bias of others to substantiate my viewpoint. The reason one provides evidence like i did, is because it is not a product of bias but indisputable results. BTW "considered", is not the same this as was. Perception and reality to not always coincide. A more appropriate question considering my argument was, "Prior to injuring his ankle was Ryan Whitney playing like a #1 defenseman for the Oilers?", not your strawman and bias rife version of the question.
Wow....

I am speechless.

Whitney has averaged 43 games over the last 5 years..... in other words he has played only 1 game over half the amount of games he has been eligible to play.

You're cherry picking stats as well saying "He played 19 games this season and 35 games this one"... Well, fact is Whitney has 440 NHL games amassed. You just can't choose 12% of his career and say "there, he is a #1 defenseman"... total bogus.

There is no mystery to what Ryan Whitney is.

When healthy he could be a capable #2 defenseman, more likely fits as a #3defenseman for a cup contending team or good defenseive unit.

There is no point arguing with someone like yourself because you're so blinded by your teams biased you refuse to look at facts.

Ryan Whitney is a # defenseman...

I stand by my previous statement... because certain teams lack depth and players have a higher work load or higher role placed upon them within those teams, does not make those players legimate for that role. Whether it's Ryan Whitney being a #1 defenseman, or Tyler Bozak being a #1 centerman, the glove does not fit.


Last edited by Buckets and Gloves: 07-12-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:55 PM
  #55
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post
Wow....

I am speechless.

Whitney has averaged 43 games over the last 5 years..... in other words he has played only 1 game over half the amount of games he has been eligible to play.

You're cherry picking stats as well saying "He played 19 games this season and 35 games this one"... Well, fact is Whitney has 440 NHL games amassed. You just can't choose 12% of his career and say "there, he is a #1 defenseman"... total bogus.

There is no mystery to what Ryan Whitney is.

When healthy he could be a capable 2nd pairing, more likely fits as a 3rd defenseman for a cup contending team.

There is no point arguing with someone like yourself because you're so blinded by your teams biased you refuse to look at facts.

Ryan Whitney is a # defenseman...
stewie.jpg

Whitney has averaged 58 games per season over the past 5 years. In other words, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:08 PM
  #56
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post
Wow....

I am speechless.

Whitney has averaged 43 games over the last 5 years..... in other words he has played only 1 game over half the amount of games he has been eligible to play.

You're cherry picking stats as well saying "He played 19 games this season and 35 games this one"... Well, fact is Whitney has 440 NHL games amassed. You just can't choose 12% of his career and say "there, he is a #1 defenseman"... total bogus.

There is no mystery to what Ryan Whitney is.

When healthy he could be a capable 2nd pairing, more likely fits as a 3rd defenseman for a cup contending team.

There is no point arguing with someone like yourself because you're so blinded by your teams biased you refuse to look at facts.

Ryan Whitney is a # defenseman...
talk about being over-dramatic with the wows and speechlessness.

You claimed Whitney never has been a #1 Dman .. and the poster responded by giving a small sample size where he was a #1Dman.

Why cant you say "Hey, this was a #1D for 12% of his career" if the questions asked is "Has Whitney ever been a #1Dman? "

I do understand that looking at his career he has been a 2nd paring Dman and would be on a non-basement team. After Pronger, EDM has been looking at guys like Souray, Whitney and Smid as the #1Dmen. Big reason why we keep finishing in the basement.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:19 PM
  #57
Toydarian
Registered User
 
Toydarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post
Wow....

I am speechless.

Whitney has averaged 43 games over the last 5 years..... in other words he has played only 1 game over half the amount of games he has been eligible to play.

You're cherry picking stats as well saying "He played 19 games this season and 35 games this one"... Well, fact is Whitney has 440 NHL games amassed. You just can't choose 12% of his career and say "there, he is a #1 defenseman"... total bogus.

There is no mystery to what Ryan Whitney is.
Sure you can. For example, in 135 games Erik Karlsson was not a Norris caliber defenseman but for next 81 games he was. So for only 37.5% of his career Karlsson performed as a norris winning defenseman.

Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.