HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy (Part IX): Generic Thread Title Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-11-2012, 07:06 PM
  #876
Lexus Dog
Registered User
 
Lexus Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Hmm, Nash isn't on par with Gretzky, Esposito and those incestuous Hulls. Good thing about that standard is it narrows down the FA pool to no one. Saves you a ton of time and money. And we all know that it's cap space that gets you a cup.
It means that those of you that think Nash is going to be born again IN THE BRIGHT LIGHTS OF NEW YORK!!!...well, slim to none chance that happens. So $7.8 million cap hit, plus the loss of assets isn't even close to worth it for a 59 point player.

Say no to Nash.

Lexus Dog is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 07:10 PM
  #877
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss
 
Glen Teflon Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,188
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus Dog View Post
It means that those of you that think Nash is going to be born again IN THE BRIGHT LIGHTS OF NEW YORK!!!...well, slim to none chance that happens. So $7.8 million cap hit, plus the loss of assets isn't even close to worth it for a 59 point player.

Say no to Nash.
Ovechkin scored 65 points last year I guess he sucks too

Glen Teflon Sather is online now  
Old
07-11-2012, 07:12 PM
  #878
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixon's Lunchbox View Post
Nash has international success with Richards. All you can do is look at stats. Tell me how he is exactly declining. Without saying his stats are. How is he high maintenance? Because he was playing with dog **** all year?
International success? OK, let's commit to an albatross contract based off a two-week exhibition almost a decade ago. Brilliant logic.

If a guy plays with max effort 100 pct of the time (which Nash doesn't) but the results aren't there, its called a decline. Whether its a decline in stats or effort or motivation, its still a decline.

Nash has 2 goals in 13 Olympic games. I guess you were talking about those ever-important World Championships.

I remember people here saying Richards would hit 90 simply by taking his Dallas stats and increasing them because of Gaborik. Richards had zero Chemistry with Gaborik for 3/4 of the season.

Failed logic.

GWOW is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 07:12 PM
  #879
M Gaz
Drink to me
 
M Gaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
Ovechkin scored 65 points last year I guess he sucks too
The opposition has figured him out. Not as dangerous as he once was.

M Gaz is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 07:13 PM
  #880
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calle62 View Post
Looks like our roster going into the season at this point will be:

Hagelin-Richards-Callahan
Kreider-Stepan-XXXXX
Dubinsky-Boyle-Anisimov
Pyatt-Halpern-Asham
Rupp

Who takes the RW spot?
Well; realistically, if nothing changes, that spot either goes to Anisimov or a prospect that happens to make the team. Pyatt would then be shifted to the third line and Rupp will be inserted into the fourth.

RMcDonagh is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 07:14 PM
  #881
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixon's Lunchbox View Post
Rink sizes? Buddy they switched to NHL sized rinks a few years ago. Using international success is just as viable as using his stats now no? Nash has never played with a guy like Brad Richards in the NHL, let alone Derek Stepan.

Comparing Rick Nash to the likes of Jonathon Cheechoo is just stupid. Rick Nash has proven is worth. Do you see Jonathon Cheechoo putting up 30 goals for the last 7 of 8 years? No. So stop with the stupid ****ing comparisons.

Did I say Nash is a legendary player? No. I said he is one of the best in the last 15 years. So since 1998. Not exactly something out of this world to say. 2005 WC he put up 15 points in 9 games. 2007 WC he put up 11 points in 9 games. 2008 WC he put up 13 points in 9 games. WC MVP in 2007, and WC All star team in 2007 and 2008. And Nik Kronwall has proven to be a very good international player, so your point doesn't exactly stand.
Tremendous post! There is nothing intelligent that I could add to this.

Drewbackatu* is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 07:16 PM
  #882
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
If the Rangers are as dead set on keeping Stepan as reports would make it appear, their most viable trade chips would be Anisimov and Dubinsky, both natural centers who have played a lot of wing for John Tortorella, and both of whom have vacillated between the top two lines and Chateau Bow Wow. That was true before the Rangers signed Halpern, and nobody’s playing time or health is ever guaranteed, but especially knowing that Tortorella does not like to carry many spare players as healthy scratches, logic dictates that New York is continuing to prepare for a major addition up front.
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...ers-shane-doan

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 07:18 PM
  #883
Lexus Dog
Registered User
 
Lexus Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
Ovechkin scored 65 points last year I guess he sucks too
Age: 26

Anyway, David Desharnais had 60 points is only 25. Why not trade for him? Blake Wheeler is 25 and he had a whopping 64. Friendlier cap hits too I'm sure. Dear lord, look at all these players with more points than Nash...On Montreal, Winnipeg, Long Island, whew these were bad teams too. What's your excuse, Rick Nash, with your $7.8 million cap hit?

Lexus Dog is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 07:22 PM
  #884
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss
 
Glen Teflon Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,188
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus Dog View Post
Age: 26

Anyway, David Desharnais had 60 points is only 25. Why not trade for him? Blake Wheeler is 25 and he had a whopping 64. Friendlier cap hits too I'm sure. Dear lord, look at all these players with more points than Nash...On Montreal, Winnipeg, Long Island, whew these were bad teams too. What's your excuse, Rick Nash, with your $7.8 million cap hit?
Age 26? So he's old too? Nash is a gamebreaker.

Glen Teflon Sather is online now  
Old
07-11-2012, 07:23 PM
  #885
jskramer83
Registered User
 
jskramer83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgaz728 View Post
The opposition has figured him out. Not as dangerous as he once was.
And Nash who has played longer then him is a mystery? You could say the same thing about Nash and why his number dropped

jskramer83 is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 07:24 PM
  #886
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,683
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
Age 26? So he's old too? Nash is a gamebreaker.
No, I think he's saying that it's ok for Ovechkin, because he's 26, which is young. However, Nash is on the decline because he's 28.

Thirty One is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 07:24 PM
  #887
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss
 
Glen Teflon Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,188
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus Dog View Post
Age: 26

Anyway, David Desharnais had 60 points is only 25. Why not trade for him? Blake Wheeler is 25 and he had a whopping 64. Friendlier cap hits too I'm sure. Dear lord, look at all these players with more points than Nash...On Montreal, Winnipeg, Long Island, whew these were bad teams too. What's your excuse, Rick Nash, with your $7.8 million cap hit?
Let's trade Richards and Dubi too, both had disappointing seasons huge cap hits. Henrik's a ****ing dinosaur at 31, let's trade him to TB for Lindbach

Glen Teflon Sather is online now  
Old
07-11-2012, 07:26 PM
  #888
jskramer83
Registered User
 
jskramer83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
Age 26? So he's old too? Nash is a gamebreaker.
He is, but still not a good enough one to justify the price.

Pre cap im fine with this, not now though

jskramer83 is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 07:29 PM
  #889
M Gaz
Drink to me
 
M Gaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jskramer83 View Post
And Nash who has played longer then him is a mystery? You could say the same thing about Nash and why his number dropped
Well up until the trade deadline, I knew hardly anything about Nash. I always thought of him as some star player stuck on a crappy team for the entirety of his career.

Ovie, on the other hand, is a guy that's caused me to pull my hair out 4 times a year from 2005-2010. I simply paid much more attention to him.

As for what you said, there's a strong possibility that you're right and other teams have figured him out, but I honestly think he's not as good a player as other NYR fans say he is. I guarantee that if he came here, he'd have a season like Richards did. Solid, yet poor at the same time. There's no way he'll score 40 on a defensive team. I consider ourselves lucky that Gabby has had as much success with this team as he's had.

M Gaz is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 07:32 PM
  #890
MisterUnspoken
Vintage
 
MisterUnspoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 10,081
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgaz728 View Post
Well up until the trade deadline, I knew hardly anything about Nash. I always thought of him as some star player stuck on a crappy team for the entirety of his career.

Ovie, on the other hand, is a guy that's caused me to pull my hair out 4 times a year from 2005-2010. I simply paid much more attention to him.

As for what you said, there's a strong possibility that you're right and other teams have figured him out, but I honestly think he's not as good a player as other NYR fans say he is. I guarantee that if he came here, he'd have a season like Richards did. Solid, yet poor at the same time. There's no way he'll score 40 on a defensive team. I consider ourselves lucky that Gabby has had as much success with this team as he's had.
That's because Gaborik continues to be the most underrated player maybe in the league (definitely on this team). I mean people know he's good, but he doesn't get the kind of hype most other players get because he's "made of glass" or some nonsense like that.

MisterUnspoken is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 07:35 PM
  #891
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
The international game is much, much, much different than the NHL game. I don't care if he scored 50 goals in 10 international games, it has no merit to NHL success.
According to who? You? And why are you an expert in the field?

Stats dont matter at all. If you support an argument solely on stats, you should be banned from these boards, in my opinion at least.

And how can you even mention guys like Cheechoo in the same breath as Nash??? And THEN promote someone like Heatly as supposedly better than Nash for Canada in international tournaments? Truthfully, have you ever watched anything else than the odd Ranger game?

-Rich Nash is the OPPOSITE of a one dimensional sniper. Like Heatly, to some extent. Like Cheechoo. Heck, one could even make an argument that Nash really isnt a prototypical sniper.

-Rich Nash oozes of talent on the ice. Ilya Kovalchuk can score as many goals as a Burrows or Knuble -- that's stats for you!!!!!!!!!! --- but if you actually WATCH the players play, you can see a bit more. Nash maybe 6'4 and he may score goals, but he got tremendous hands and is amazing at taking the puck to the net. Protecting the puck down low and beating his man to open things up.

-Nash will NOT fix all our problems. I doubt he would be of great help on the PP. We still wouldn't match up at centerice against a team like Pittsburg. Nor maybe even Carolina and co. As much good as Torts has done in NY, we are still one dimensional under him and anyone short of Martin St Loiue, or a creative wiz like him, won't straighten that out. I am for Nash if we can get him while moving mostly assets not on the roster right now, but I wouldn't tear the roster apart to get him.

-And I am sorry if I come across as rude, but the way you portray Nash you might as well call Girardi a primadonna who isnt prepared to put his body on the line.

Ola is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 07:35 PM
  #892
M Gaz
Drink to me
 
M Gaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
That's because Gaborik continues to be the most underrated player maybe in the league (definitely on this team). I mean people know he's good, but he doesn't get the kind of hype most other players get because he's "made of glass" or some nonsense like that.
Like I don't know how he was able to score 40 goals under Torts. This year didn't surprise me much because we had Richards and Stepan centering him, but 2009-10 blew my mind. Who was centering him? Christensen? Prospal?

M Gaz is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 07:38 PM
  #893
M Gaz
Drink to me
 
M Gaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
According to who? You? And why are you an expert in the field?

Stats dont matter at all. If you support an argument solely on stats, you should be banned from these boards, in my opinion at least.

And how can you even mention guys like Cheechoo in the same breath as Nash??? And THEN promote someone like Heatly as supposedly better than Nash for Canada in international tournaments? Truthfully, have you ever watched anything else than the odd Ranger game?

-Rich Nash is the OPPOSITE of a one dimensional sniper. Like Heatly, to some extent. Like Cheechoo. Heck, one could even make an argument that Nash really isnt a prototypical sniper.

-Rich Nash oozes of talent on the ice. Ilya Kovalchuk can score as many goals as a Burrows or Knuble -- that's stats for you!!!!!!!!!! --- but if you actually WATCH the players play, you can see a bit more. Nash maybe 6'4 and he may score goals, but he got tremendous hands and is amazing at taking the puck to the net. Protecting the puck down low and beating his man to open things up.

-Nash will NOT fix all our problems. I doubt he would be of great help on the PP. We still wouldn't match up at centerice against a team like Pittsburg. Nor maybe even Carolina and co. As much good as Torts has done in NY, we are still one dimensional under him and anyone short of Martin St Loiue, or a creative wiz like him, won't straighten that out. I am for Nash if we can get him while moving mostly assets not on the roster right now, but I wouldn't tear the roster apart to get him.

-And I am sorry if I come across as rude, but the way you portray Nash you might as well call Girardi a primadonna who isnt prepared to put his body on the line.
Really? Because the last time I checked, we walked all over the Canes this season lol

M Gaz is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 07:39 PM
  #894
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!
 
White Plains Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,718
vCash: 500
The thing that bothers me with Nash the most is his lack of pedigree for winning. Excluding the 2010 Canadian Olympic Team, his longest playoff run was 15 games with Davos in the Swiss League during the lockout.

Guy is not a winner. His stats have also gone down every year. Patrick Sharp would give you just as much at nearly 2 million less.

White Plains Batman is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 07:40 PM
  #895
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
Age 26? So he's old too? Nash is a gamebreaker.
Please help with this. How is Nash a game breaker? How are we defining that in regards to Nash?

I see Crosby, Malkin, Hank, The Sedins as game breakers. I don't see Nash in that space at all. Yet that is your expectation of him, yes?

Pizza is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 07:40 PM
  #896
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
That's because Gaborik continues to be the most underrated player maybe in the league (definitely on this team). I mean people know he's good, but he doesn't get the kind of hype most other players get because he's "made of glass" or some nonsense like that.
Gaborik's a great goal scorer. Not much else. That's why.

We know he's a great scorer, it's not hidden. But somewhere in everyone's minds is that he's made of glass and that doesn't help and people are almost waiting for him to be injured frequently just to say "I told you so."

Sorry to say it but Gaborik is a sniper and that's about it. He's good defensively but not a PK'er, he's just smart. Not a great playmaker or passer. And not a great solo player because his deking is not even good let alone excellent. Gabby needs someone to be able to get him the puck frequently and then he will make the other team pay that way.

In a way -- he's sort of like Nash, though Gabby is a better natural goal scorer and Nash is more of a do-it-all-offensive goal scorer who can deke his way to goals and snipe them. The results are similar. But Nash doesn't bring much else to the table either -- and that's fine, but does that justify paying him $300k more than Gabby a year for more years for slightly less production than Gabby?

RMcDonagh is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 07:41 PM
  #897
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
According to who? You? And why are you an expert in the field?

Stats dont matter at all. If you support an argument solely on stats, you should be banned from these boards, in my opinion at least.

And how can you even mention guys like Cheechoo in the same breath as Nash??? And THEN promote someone like Heatly as supposedly better than Nash for Canada in international tournaments? Truthfully, have you ever watched anything else than the odd Ranger game?

-Rich Nash is the OPPOSITE of a one dimensional sniper. Like Heatly, to some extent. Like Cheechoo. Heck, one could even make an argument that Nash really isnt a prototypical sniper.

-Rich Nash oozes of talent on the ice. Ilya Kovalchuk can score as many goals as a Burrows or Knuble -- that's stats for you!!!!!!!!!! --- but if you actually WATCH the players play, you can see a bit more. Nash maybe 6'4 and he may score goals, but he got tremendous hands and is amazing at taking the puck to the net. Protecting the puck down low and beating his man to open things up.

-Nash will NOT fix all our problems. I doubt he would be of great help on the PP. We still wouldn't match up at centerice against a team like Pittsburg. Nor maybe even Carolina and co. As much good as Torts has done in NY, we are still one dimensional under him and anyone short of Martin St Loiue, or a creative wiz like him, won't straighten that out. I am for Nash if we can get him while moving mostly assets not on the roster right now, but I wouldn't tear the roster apart to get him.

-And I am sorry if I come across as rude, but the way you portray Nash you might as well call Girardi a primadonna who isnt prepared to put his body on the line.
Hear, hear.

But Nash is only a 59 point player

__________________
"Here we can see the agression of american people. They love fighting and guns. when they wont win they try to kill us all." -HalfOfFame
HatTrick Swayze is online now  
Old
07-11-2012, 07:42 PM
  #898
Leetch66
Registered User
 
Leetch66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: PEI Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus Dog View Post
Age: 26

Anyway, David Desharnais had 60 points is only 25. Why not trade for him? Blake Wheeler is 25 and he had a whopping 64. Friendlier cap hits too I'm sure. Dear lord, look at all these players with more points than Nash...On Montreal, Winnipeg, Long Island, whew these were bad teams too. What's your excuse, Rick Nash, with your $7.8 million cap hit?
Lexus Dog...is that a pic of Ron Shock in your avatar ???

Leetch66 is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 07:43 PM
  #899
Rangers2319
Registered User
 
Rangers2319's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
The thing that bothers me with Nash the most is his lack of pedigree for winning. Excluding the 2010 Canadian Olympic Team, his longest playoff run was 15 games with Davos in the Swiss League during the lockout.

Guy is not a winner. His stats have also gone down every year. Patrick Sharp would give you just as much at nearly 2 million less.
Blame columbus not nash. One player alone cant carry a team.

Rangers2319 is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 07:46 PM
  #900
Blueshirt Believer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch66 View Post
Lexus Dog...is that a pic of Ron Shock in your avatar ???
Its Glen Sather dude, when he played for the pens.

Blueshirt Believer is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.