HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Summer 2012 Free Agency: The 7 Signs of Semyonka (Part the 12th)

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2012, 12:50 AM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr sidney crosby View Post
Any rumors on potential signings? What happened to us signing semin?
To sum up the day ....

Old
07-11-2012, 12:59 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
To sum up the day ....
i can't make out the first name on the upside-down poster behind Buscemi but the second guy Lloyd Glenn was the pianist on T-Bone Walker's Stormy Monday

edit: the second dude is blues guitarist Lowell Fulson - who wrote the song Tramp which was made famous in duet version by Otis Redding and Carla Thomas.

that i went through this effort should tell you how boring free agency has been.

Old
07-11-2012, 01:17 AM
Riptide

Quote:
No. Howson wants too much, and the contract itself is not something I'd want to take on for a guy who isn't likely to develop any chemistry with Sid. Granted, the Olympics is a small sample size, but add in that we really don't need another lefty.
We have 2 great centers to try him with. I'm sure that he'd work out with one of them. Neal would play with the other. And would have no issues taking on the contract. We have the cap space, and with have the contracts we could ship out if needed (assuming that was an issue).

However Howson wants too much, so I don't see it happening. Somehow he will need to re-adjust his asking price. All that Nash needs to do is to refuse to play until he's traded. Kind of a douch move, however Howson's had lots of time to make a trade. At this point I'd probably do the same if I was him and wanted out.

Old
07-11-2012, 01:30 AM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
i can't make out the first name on the upside-down poster behind Buscemi but the second guy Lloyd Glenn was the pianist on T-Bone Walker's Stormy Monday

edit: the second dude is blues guitarist Lowell Fulson - who wrote the song Tramp which was made famous in duet version by Otis Redding and Carla Thomas.

that i went through this effort should tell you how boring free agency has been.
Nice ...
Although this now cements the mental picture I have of you as Les Claypool in my head

Old
07-11-2012, 01:48 AM
Scuz39

Did anyone else find that video on TSN "Who’s Better?
The TH panel debates who is better? Penguins sniper James Neal or Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews." Really weird?

Why are these two players being compared? Isn't it obvious at this point?

Old
07-11-2012, 01:48 AM
PensFan68

I agree with others about Nash. I'd really have no problem bringing him in. I know him and Sid didn't have much chemistry at the olympics, but I think he's a great forward who could bring alot to the team. While I'd like to have him, there are many other teams who'll offer much more for him than I'd be willing to.

IMO, the problem with Nash/Ryan is that the other team is looking for forwards in return. We can't do that. Not moving anyone from our roster (TK/Dupuis aren't top line guys they're looking for).

As much as people worry, the team we have right now will get us through the regular season just fine. i also believe we'll be fine in the playoffs with the addition of a defensive d-man (or two).

I don't think it'll take us much to win another cup. We have a great core, and just need to shore up the D at the deadline to move on.

I agree that Sid took a discount and we should find him a winger, but no use overpaying (whether trade or signing) to get that winger.

Old
07-11-2012, 01:58 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuz39 View Post
The TH panel debates who is better? Penguins sniper James Neal or Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews." Really weird?

So whats the answer? Ones an elite defensive #1 center. The other is a 40g winger.

Old
07-11-2012, 01:59 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
THE National Champs

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
So whats the answer? Ones an elite defensive #1 center. The other is a 40g winger.
The honest answer is that it's the dumbest comparison in the world. Neal is a really good winger, but JT is the face of Chicago. Even the biggest Pens homer can't sit here and say Neal is better.

The comparison makes zero sense.

Old
07-11-2012, 02:29 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 400
Quote:
Nice ...
Although this now cements the mental picture I have of you as Les Claypool in my head
the guy who Metallica turned down because he was "too talented." i can live with that. i did physically turn my laptop upside-down to get a look.

Old
07-11-2012, 03:29 AM
Blitzburgh87*

Blah blah no semin yet blah.

Old
07-11-2012, 04:08 AM
Scuz39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
The honest answer is that it's the dumbest comparison in the world. Neal is a really good winger, but JT is the face of Chicago. Even the biggest Pens homer can't sit here and say Neal is better.

The comparison makes zero sense.
Who is better? Crosby or Penner? the world needs to know!

Old
07-11-2012, 04:50 AM
steveg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
I can't recall many times that the Pens were rumoured to be interested in any player they traded for. That's just me personally of course...
Good point here, IMO...

We are all probably way off, and I trust that Shero will bring in someone, probably someone most would not expect.

NO WAY -- NO WAY, IMO, do the Pens get rid of Staal, get Crosby to give a huge "hometown discount," take a look at the fact that they sit right in the middle of a window of time where they have a legitimate shot at another Cup or three, and then conclude that it makes sense to "sit" on that cap space and NOT pull a deal for some more offensive talent...

That would make NO sense, to me. I agree with other posters who have said that this team -- as it currently exists -- has plenty of talent to make the playoffs and perhaps win a round or two. As a GM, with a team talented enough to make at least a short playoff run, and sitting on a boatload of cap space, and with the two best centers in the world on your team, in their primes, it seems to me to be borderline NEGLIGENT to not use that cap space to at least TRY and improve the team's Cup chances to the greatest degree possible. YES, you could do the "improve the team" thing by pursuing defensemen, but -- given that it's blatantly obvious that we lack ANYTHING (aside from Bennett) in our system that appears at this time to be a legitimate top 6 forward prospect while at the same time being chock full of talented defensive prospects, not spending at least some of that cap space on significant offensive (wing) talent, THIS season...I just don't see it happening. So, to me, it is almost a given that we spend some of that cap space, NO LATER THAN at the trade deadline, AND that we do so -- at least PARTIALLY -- on the wing. I will trust Shero on this...

Steve

Last edited by steveg: 07-11-2012 at 04:59 AM.
Old
07-11-2012, 06:51 AM
SteelCitySaviour

Send a message via AIM to SteelCitySaviour
Just an aside, but why do some people feel compelled to put their name at the end of every post?

Old
07-11-2012, 06:55 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCitySaviour View Post
Just an aside, but why do some people feel compelled to put their name at the end of every post?

Travis Ulrich, Esquire

Old
07-11-2012, 07:03 AM
SinfulCobraZ
87SidGeno71

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg View Post
Good point here, IMO...

We are all probably way off, and I trust that Shero will bring in someone, probably someone most would not expect.

NO WAY -- NO WAY, IMO, do the Pens get rid of Staal, get Crosby to give a huge "hometown discount," take a look at the fact that they sit right in the middle of a window of time where they have a legitimate shot at another Cup or three, and then conclude that it makes sense to "sit" on that cap space and NOT pull a deal for some more offensive talent...

That would make NO sense, to me. I agree with other posters who have said that this team -- as it currently exists -- has plenty of talent to make the playoffs and perhaps win a round or two. As a GM, with a team talented enough to make at least a short playoff run, and sitting on a boatload of cap space, and with the two best centers in the world on your team, in their primes, it seems to me to be borderline NEGLIGENT to not use that cap space to at least TRY and improve the team's Cup chances to the greatest degree possible. YES, you could do the "improve the team" thing by pursuing defensemen, but -- given that it's blatantly obvious that we lack ANYTHING (aside from Bennett) in our system that appears at this time to be a legitimate top 6 forward prospect while at the same time being chock full of talented defensive prospects, not spending at least some of that cap space on significant offensive (wing) talent, THIS season...I just don't see it happening. So, to me, it is almost a given that we spend some of that cap space, NO LATER THAN at the trade deadline, AND that we do so -- at least PARTIALLY -- on the wing. I will trust Shero on this...

Steve
I would have thought the same way before FA. We all got hyped up that Parise is coming to town and there's no way a conservative GM like Shero makes those huge moves if he didn't already know something about Parise. It didn't turn out well.

Old
07-11-2012, 07:22 AM
NutCracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCitySaviour View Post
Yeah that annoys me

Old
07-11-2012, 07:27 AM
steveg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutCracker View Post
Yeah that annoys me
REALLY, guys? Simply habit; I have always signed every post I make on any of the forums. Sorry if it's not "apropos" here...

Just trying to have some hockey discussion, is all.

Steve

Old
07-11-2012, 07:34 AM
sniugneP

lol....it doesn't bother me at all. Nothing's wrong with signed on every post.

Mike

Old
07-11-2012, 07:44 AM
Konstantin Koltsov

It's no big deal. All the cool kids are doing it.

Sincerely yours,
Ross Lupaschuk

Old
07-11-2012, 07:58 AM
steveg

Guess I got in the habit because of the thought that if you can't "put your name" on something you write, and "own" it, then you ought not be writing it. NOT referring to forums, per se -- but, to me it's like someone tossing out a "rumor" and then everyone asking for a "link and source." The "name" of the source is associated with a "reputation," which then either lends, or diminishes, the credibility of the information.

ANYWAY...enough "drama." Don't want to turn this into something sounding like a bunch of teenage girls!

By the way, cobraZ, I, too, was surprised by the Shero/Parise thing, since as the situation was in progress, it sure did look like the Crosby signing, and the trade of Staal, was a part of a plan to bring in Parise; maybe that was an incorrect assumption, but still -- there is to some degree the appearance that there was a plan, and it "blew up," so to speak...

Steve

Old
07-11-2012, 08:09 AM
Marns
@thestretchpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuz39 View Post

Very strange on their behalf. Can't work out why they would do that, but I guess that show isn't exactly a meeting of hockey's minds...

Marns

Old
07-11-2012, 08:42 AM
Mr. T

Nothing really to add here other than a signed post.

Mr. T

Old
07-11-2012, 08:45 AM
MilanKraft

I hope something happens soon because this is getting boring.

Old
07-11-2012, 08:48 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh87 View Post
Do you guys really want Nash?
Yes, we want Rick Nash. Absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Not for the asking price no. Like I said, I have heard nothing at all about the Pens being interested. With Doan and Semin you heard Bylsma confirm interest, Semin's agent said the same, and a lot of dubious sources. Zip about Nash though.
But we might not want him enough to give up what he'll cost in assets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
Nope. Fat, overrated and overpaid. I'd prefer Semin or Doan. At least, they won't cost us assets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
**** Rick Nash in his ******* with a 10 foot pole until he ****s blood.
Any other reason to say we don't want Nash is wrong. He would be our best winger. Sure he's a high cap hit, but he's also one of the few wingers that could carry the load on his line if we have an injury to Sid or Geno.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 07-11-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old
07-11-2012, 08:57 AM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg View Post
Good point here, IMO...

Steve
He got rid of Staal because he would have lost him in a year if he didn't. Plain and simple.

--Uncle Jesse

Closed Thread