HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Summer 2012 Free Agency: The 7 Signs of Semyonka (Part the 12th)

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2012, 05:16 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
My impressions from the Disco and prospect interviews:• Next year's camp is going to be awesome with Bennett, Morrow and Dumoulin all gunning for full time roles, maybe Harrington too (will he be old enough then?) if he continues to progress at the same rate everyone is saying. Blysma sounded really impressed with his season / body of work in 12 months.
Don't forget Määttä. I have a feeling that he will be very good defensively while his offensive game improves and this guy has his attitude where it belongs and size too.

Old
07-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles4Malkin View Post
Don't forget Määttä. I have a feeling that he will be very good defensively while his offensive game improves and this guy has his attitude where it belongs and size too.
I think Maatta was an awesome pick-up but I don't think he's close to competing for a spot next season unless something dramatic happens. I see him competing maybe in 2014-2015 camp.

Old
07-10-2012, 05:20 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Carl Sneep ‏@CarlSneep
Just resigned with the penguins for another year. Excited to be part of a great organization for the upcoming season!

Old
07-10-2012, 05:21 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

Quote:
I think Maatta was an awesome pick-up but I don't think he's close to competing for a spot next season unless something dramatic happens. I see him competing maybe in 2014-2015 camp.
We'll see. I believe he will surprise us all next year, even he is so damn young.

And there is big possibility that someone gets traded away before that.

Old
07-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
We'll see. I believe he will surprise us all next year, even he is so damn young.

And there is big possibility that someone gets traded away before that.
He is going to need to jump at least 4 or 5 people to make the NHL next year. And not even just be a bit better. He will need to blow them away.

Old
07-10-2012, 05:25 PM
SEALBound

I think Shero will salvage the season.

The only think I really hope is that we don't end up regretting not nabbing Forsberg or Grigs. A top notch forward prospect would do us wonders right now.

Please bring in Doan and Semin Shero! Please!

Old
07-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
He is going to need to jump at least 4 or 5 people to make the NHL next year. And not even just be a bit better. He will need to blow them away.

Old
07-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

Quote:
I want to see a Finn in this roster, so I just want to believe in a fairytale on this one to happen.

Old
07-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Yah I don't see any possible way that he's going to surpass Dumoulin (who by most accounts would be ready to go right now or sometime this season, if we weren't so loaded with D) at teh very least. The pecking order right now is

Despres
Straight/Bortuzzo (I agree one might get traded during the season if we carry 8)
Dumoulin
Morrow
Harrington

...get in line, Olli.

Old
07-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaris View Post
You nailed it!

Old
07-10-2012, 05:33 PM
SEALBound

Quote:
Yah I don't see any possible way that he's going to surpass Dumoulin (who by most accounts would be ready to go right now or sometime this season, if we weren't so loaded with D) at teh very least. The pecking order right now is

Despres
Straight/Bortuzzo (I agree one might get traded during the season if we carry 8)
Dumoulin
Morrow
Harrington

...get in line, Olli.
Was about to include Morrow, lol.

I like our d pool

Wondering though in a couple years...are we gonna be able to keep all of them...even if two of them are too good for the 3rd pairing or will we use some as trade baits?

Old
07-10-2012, 05:37 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Was about to include Morrow, lol.

I like our d pool

Wondering though in a couple years...are we gonna be able to keep all of them...even if two of them are too good for the 3rd pairing or will we use some as trade baits?
My prediction: we'll be able to keep most of them if they pan out. Martin will likely not return when his contract expires unless he's playing better than his eggs scramble. Orpik... I don't know. I fear his health might be deteriorating fast but we'll see. This year will tell a lot. If he has to go, he will be replaced by Dumoulin IMO (in effect - although maybe not in terms of pairings).

This year:
Despres will replace Michalek
Strait and Bortuzzo will be 7/8 until one is traded

Next year:
Niskanen may get traded at some point for good value (replaced by Dumoulin most likely if Orpik is still around, if Orpik is already gone, Morrow will replace Nisky)
Strait or Bortuzzo will stick around as 7

[Edit: Orpik, Letang, Engo, and Nisky all up for new contracts going into 2014-2015 so... the math seems pretty obvious there.]

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 07-10-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old
07-10-2012, 05:41 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:

Wondering though in a couple years...are we gonna be able to keep all of them...
Doesn't matter. Shero will just draft MOAR defensemen!!!!

Old
07-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

by the time the 2014-2015 season starts (when Orpik, Letang, Engo, and Nisky contracts are done) I expect the defense to include Letang, Morrow, Despres, Dumoulin and a decent chance for Harrington. The only thing that would stop that imo is an unwillingness to go with 2 rookies in the same season. Any of them not here will have probably been traded.

Old
07-10-2012, 05:47 PM
SEALBound

Quote:
by the time the 2014-2015 season starts (when Orpik, Letang, Engo, and Nisky contracts are done) I expect the defense to include Letang, Morrow, Despres, Dumoulin and a decent chance for Harrington. The only thing that would stop that imo is an unwillingness to go with 2 rookies in the same season. Any of them not here will have probably been traded.
By that time it will most likely be:

Letang-Despres
Morrow-Dumoulin
Harrington-????? (Pouliot if ready? Maatta?)

I'm excited about Morrow the most.

EDIT: I don't think Martin will be back...in fact I can bank on it. I'm about 99% sure he gets traded once one of the prospects are ready. Same with Orpik. I believe he will be a deadline trade chip TBH. In fact...I can see damn near all of our guys becoming trade chips once a rookie is ready. I wouldn't mind keeping Engo if stays on the cheap.

Old
07-10-2012, 05:55 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Carl Sneep ‏@CarlSneep
Just resigned with the penguins for another year. Excited to be part of a great organization for the upcoming season!

AHL defender really. But good to see him sign.

Was he a UFA or RFA?

Old
07-10-2012, 06:06 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimper View Post
ahl defender really. But good to see him sign.

Was he a ufa or rfa?
rfa.

Old
07-10-2012, 06:41 PM
Riptide

Quote:
The issue will again be contracts. Assuming there's no big trades, Despres should be in the top 6 this season, and firmly penciled in the following year. Unless they move someone, they'll still have 6 D under contract plus Strait/Bort (I assume 1 will be traded/lost by then) and Dumoulin (who's apparently just as ready as Despres, and likely to be the first callup for injuries), and Morrow who'll likely be ready for a stint as well. Harrington will be knocking at the door.

I basically don't see any possible way that either Pouilout or Maatta even get a sniff for 3+ years. Not because they wouldn't be ready, but just due to the talent and contracts ahead of them.

Old
07-10-2012, 06:47 PM
AgentM

Playing catchup through this thread, so bear with me haha

Quote:
Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland
Agent for Shane Doan is doing a good job of drumming up interest for his client...it's going to take 3 or 4 yrs to sign him
Yikes, 3 to 4 years for a guy that will be 36 to start the season? Maybe you give him 3 years at $3.75m each? I'd be afraid to go longer than that to be honest.

Quote:
HockeyBuzz: I'm hearing that things are really heating up on the Alexander Semin front and Detroit, Pittsburgh, Chicago and New Jersey have gotten down to brass tacks with serious offers for the controversial Capitals free agent.
More Eklund blabber, but don't like to hear that Detroit could be interested again. Hope it's just bunk.

Quote:
Insidepghsports ‏@Insidepghsports

New Post: Latest Pens Buzz: Bylsma confirms team looking into Doan, Semin; Despres viewed as No. 1 pairing w/ Letang?
Okay something concrete and this gives me true hope of Semin being a target. But I still believe that he will be their 2nd target after Doan.

Quote:
Will DePaoli ‏@TIOPS_DePaoli

Told again today that #Pens feel Alex Semin is a much more complete player than he is given credit. Team still mulling possibility
Okay this is kind of interesting and I actually believe it after Bylsma said they are looking into him. If they DO believe he's a complete player then maybe we will genuinely target him and not just throw a contract at him and say 'take it or leave it'.

Please Ray just do it!!!

Old
07-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Think of the overworked Red Pandas and the multitudes of sleepless fans that want FA change and a new toy, Ray!

(Although I shuddered when I heard Bylsma utter the words "Tyler Kennedy" and "top 6" in the same sentence. Misguided grind-thinking at its worst. Would take Semin any day over Kennedy; hard to believe they would actually consider this seriously vs. just leaving Dupuis up there with Sid and Kunitz, and bringing Tangradi up / developing him with Geno and Neal.)

Old
07-10-2012, 06:52 PM
Azkals

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
Okay something concrete and this gives me true hope of Semin being a target. But I still believe that he will be their 2nd target after Doan.
It's gonna be another week until Doan even starts considering offers. Semin might be gone by then.

Old
07-10-2012, 07:02 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Think of the overworked Red Pandas and the multitudes of sleepless fans that want FA change and a new toy, Ray!

(Although I shuddered when I heard Bylsma utter the words "Tyler Kennedy" and "top 6" in the same sentence. Misguided grind-thinking at its worst. Would take Semin any day over Kennedy; hard to believe they would actually consider this seriously vs. just leaving Dupuis up there with Sid and Kunitz, and bringing Tangradi up / developing him with Geno and Neal.)
Yeah we need to keep those Red Pandas rested for the playoffs!

Oh I agree 100% about TK. I will be soooo pissed if don't bring in a top 6 winger and TK is allowed to suck the life out of Sid or Geno until the trade deadline this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkals View Post
It's gonna be another week until Doan even starts considering offers. Semin might be gone by then.
You could be right about that. I just see Doan as more of a 'Penguins' Hockey' kind of player than Semin with his physical play and leadership qualities that Shero covets. I'll be happy if we land either of them but I prefer Semin.

Old
07-10-2012, 07:06 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkals View Post
Pretty vague feeling that Semin's ideal scenario is a contender in the east with a high profile Russian on the team. So unless Devils blink, it'll probably take a huge multi year deal to make him commit in a hurry.

TBH, for short term prove me contract options we better be his first choice or I don't really want him that much.

Old
07-10-2012, 07:19 PM
Gustavo Fring
-35 ;)

Quote:
By that time it will most likely be:

Letang-Despres
Morrow-Dumoulin
Harrington-????? (Pouliot if ready? Maatta?)

I'm excited about Morrow the most.
I wouldn't be surprised if two of those players are not even Pens in 2015.

Old
07-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC24 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if two of those players are not even Pens in 2015.
That's quite possible, as outside of BB our only trade chips are blueliners. But if we can hold off on moving them (at least for a bit), we can move Niskanen (Despres can likely easily replace him). The following season Dumoulin can replace someone. And we'd still have Harrington and Morrow on the cusp.

We could essentially move out most of our vets other than Letang over a period of 2-3 years for rookies, while bringing in other assets.

Closed Thread