Notices

Development Camp

Old
07-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Xelstyle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
O god can you imagine what would happen if the nhl squad lose?
It either means we have a future, or none at all.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:08 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelstyle View Post
It either means we have a future, or none at all.
We'd be like the oilers where the prospect team is better than the main team lol.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Fleury14
Kipper

Quote:
Yea the more I see from Gaudreau the more I am ok with the Janko pick. This kid has some serious skill I can't believe he was a 4th round pick. If the scouts truly believe that Janko could be a larger version of Gaudreau then I love the pick.
Technically, it was the USHL coach of the team Jankowski is going to that said he was a taller Gaudreau; not the scouts.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 05:31 PM
Money Baer
COYS

vCash: 50
Just got back from watching the scrimmage.

Some notes/observations:

Jankowski:
Negative - Guilty of trying to do to much. There were times when he would try to stick handle through 1, or 2 defenseman and end up on his butt. You can tell he's only 17, and isn't quite strong enough, as he was pushed around a bit.
Positive - Always making something happen. He has explosive speed, with excellent vision. He finished the day with 1G 2A. (gift wrapped one for baertschi) He has a nose for the net, and anticipates the play before it happens. The upside and skill is so obvious! He was one of the best players on the ice.

Other players that looked good/great: Lamb, Ferland(2goals), Reinhart(1goal), Baertschi(1goal).

Gaudreau, and Granlund seemed invisible most of the night... There were a few moments of magic from Gaudreau, but was silent for the most part. Granlund made a few nice passes, and knocked in the empty netter.

Overall, Jankowski, Baertschi, Ferland, and Lamb were the top 4 from my observations.

Money Baer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 06:27 PM
DBU
Gotta Go Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
Just got back from watching the scrimmage.

Some notes/observations:

Jankowski:
Negative - Guilty of trying to do to much. There were times when he would try to stick handle through 1, or 2 defenseman and end up on his butt. You can tell he's only 17, and isn't quite strong enough, as he was pushed around a bit.
Positive - Always making something happen. He has explosive speed, with excellent vision. He finished the day with 1G 2A. (gift wrapped one for baertschi) He has a nose for the net, and anticipates the play before it happens. The upside and skill is so obvious! He was one of the best players on the ice.

Other players that looked good/great: Lamb, Ferland(2goals), Reinhart(1goal), Baertschi(1goal).

Gaudreau, and Granlund seemed invisible most of the night... There were a few moments of magic from Gaudreau, but was silent for the most part. Granlund made a few nice passes, and knocked in the empty netter.

Overall, Jankowski, Baertschi, Ferland, and Lamb were the top 4 from my observations.
This excites me.

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 06:27 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury14 View Post
Technically, it was the USHL coach of the team Jankowski is going to that said he was a taller Gaudreau; not the scouts.
Fair enough, still the scouts clearly see something in him and I am willing to give Janko some time to judge the pick. (I really wanted to trade up for Forsberg)

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Sauce View Post
This excites me.
Join the club. Can't wait what he'll be like in a couple years.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:11 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Fair enough, still the scouts clearly see something in him and I am willing to give Janko some time to judge the pick. (I really wanted to trade up for Forsberg)
Same here.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:27 PM
HoshiBlitz

vCash: 513
Quote:

This. Lamb really stood out. He was solid and made smart decisions and was calm. Definitely glad that we were able to get him signed.

HoshiBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:28 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoshiBlitz View Post
This. Lamb really stood out. He was solid and made smart decisions and was calm. Definitely glad that we were able to get him signed.
How big is he? Does he play physically? Who would you compare him to?

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:17 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
He better standout as a 24 year old in development camp.

I am far more interested to see how he will do on the Heat.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:38 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
I can't believe Jankowski was able to stand out like that against older players who've played very well in their respective, tougher leagues. Jankowski might be the real deal.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:20 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I can't believe Jankowski was able to stand out like that against older players who've played very well in their respective, tougher leagues. Jankowski might be the real deal.
Wait til he plays a full season at Dubuque. While that team isn't all that successful, they turned out Gaudreau and Zemgus, so I'm quite excited Janko is going there. I'll bet next season he is only going to come to camp that much more polished and strong, man I hope he pans out. Size, skill and speed are lethal combinations to have. I really wish I could go down to see him myself. When does the camp end, I'm still out of town?

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:50 AM
Turboed

I think the final scrimmage is today at 9am. Would have liked to make it to that.

Turboed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:32 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
It would be cool if the Flames streamed the scrimmages on their website. Maybe a suggestion for next year.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:05 AM
HoshiBlitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
That does seem like the case. Although aside from his skillset I was more drawn into how often he would fall and get pushed down (once a shift?). That'll definitely be something that will improve when he fills out though.

Old
07-13-2012, 11:09 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Quote:
That does seem like the case. Although aside from his skillset I was more drawn into how often he would fall and get pushed down (once a shift?). That'll definitely be something that will improve when he fills out though.
Well thats to be expected, dudes a string bean...hopefully Hesketh will have him on a good program to gain some muscle like Baertschi last year.

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:17 AM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
Well thats to be expected, dudes a string bean...hopefully Hesketh will have him on a good program to gain some muscle like Baertschi last year.
Getting pushed around at some point in a player's career can be good for their game. They learn to use their body to protect the puck, how to roll off hits, to keep their head up, etc. Having him pushed around by his respectful colleagues is better than having him pushed around by his competitor's, who likely want to take his head off.

Hopefully he brings that protective physicality once he gains some mass, then nobody will be able to knock him off the puck.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:24 AM
Money Baer
COYS

Quote:
How big is he? Does he play physically? Who would you compare him to?
He's big. 6'1 - 215lbs. (RH).

Lamb does play the physical game. I would say it's one of his specialties. He had a few hits at the scrimmage, but you could tell the guys were told not to knock the socks off each other.

He played a sound game positionally, and always made the perfect pass. Very calm under pressure, and looked so natural. I think some seasoning in Abbotsford is required, but it/he looks like the ideal future 5/6 D.

Old
07-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Money Baer
COYS

Quote:
It's true. The first time I thought he was going to be injured for sure. Crashing into the boards at high velocity on his ass. I think half the time he was knocked over was because he was trying to do to much.... He needs to grow into his frame, and develop lean muscle mass. I'm not to concerned actually. I believe a year in Dubuque, followed up by a couple years in Providence will help produce a quality 1/2 offensive C.

His style reminded me a little of Spezza... What did you think?

Old
07-13-2012, 11:43 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
It's true. The first time I thought he was going to be injured for sure. Crashing into the boards at high velocity on his ass. I think half the time he was knocked over was because he was trying to do to much.... He needs to grow into his frame, and develop lean muscle mass. I'm not to concerned actually. I believe a year in Dubuque, followed up by a couple years in Providence will help produce a quality 1/2 offensive C.

From seeing what little I have of him, I think a Spezza comparison makes a lot of sense.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:54 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Yeah Spezza also spent quite a bit of time needing some seasoning, including about 2 1/2+ years in the AHL if I'm not mistaken with spot time on the Sens.

As excited as we are with Janko, we all need to be patient and can't rush him. With that said, I think in 3-4 years time, we should see this kid being close to ready.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:08 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Yeah Spezza also spent quite a bit of time needing some seasoning, including about 2 1/2+ years in the AHL if I'm not mistaken with spot time on the Sens.

As excited as we are with Janko, we all need to be patient and can't rush him. With that said, I think in 3-4 years time, we should see this kid being close to ready.

Yep. This kid is so far away he isn't even in the rear-view mirror yet. Thats perfectly ok though.

Old
07-13-2012, 07:10 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Quote:

I like the phrase "trying to do too much". Means he isnt scared and is trying to prove his worth, anybody recall a Sven Baertschi trying his dub moves in the bigs, showed some balls, plus it shows them what will fly and what wont. Id rather them try to do too much than be scared and hesitate every step of the way..

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:12 PM
HoshiBlitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
I like the phrase "trying to do too much". Means he isnt scared and is trying to prove his worth, anybody recall a Sven Baertschi trying his dub moves in the bigs, showed some balls, plus it shows them what will fly and what wont. Id rather them try to do too much than be scared and hesitate every step of the way..
I agree with that, but it is different when he tries to put the puck through the defenders feet like Datsyuk. Although the times he did do it we far and few, it was great. Definitely was on the edge of my seat whenever him, Gaudreau or Sven was on the ice.