Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Russia
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Why we love Russian hockey

Old
07-05-2012, 06:32 PM
Hockeysemin

vCash: 500
Why we love Russian hockey

There is a lot of hate going on against Russian hockey these days. Radulov and Semin is some of the player who got criticism later, and you can't start talking about KHL before some people shouts how bad that league is . So this thread is for those who can enjoy the skill and beauty the Russian bring to the NHL and hockey world. So why do u like Russian hockey? Here is a video wich show what i love about Russian hockey.

If u don't like the music u can mute it

Hockeysemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Fanned On It

A lot of that is just hockey. Not "Russian hockey". Just because a Russian player is doing it doesn't make it specifically Russian.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 06:06 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulle View Post
There is a lot of hate going on against Russian hockey these days. Radulov and Semin is some of the player who got criticism later, and you can't start talking about KHL before some people shouts how bad that league is . So this thread is for those who can enjoy the skill and beauty the Russian bring to the NHL and hockey world. So why do u like Russian hockey? Here is a video wich show what i love about Russian hockey.

Awesome as usual!

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 06:36 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:

You are absolutely right, Mulle! It is hate, I don't think that's overstating it. It goes all the way back to when Fetisov joined the New Jersey Devils, and, according to Brendan Shanahan, his defensive "teammates" set him up to be backstabbed (checked face first into the boards from behind) by opposing forecheckers. If a team has a Russian star, you have already identified who is going to take all the blame when things don't go right. Canadian and American stars are off-limits for criticism.

Like you, I love the Russian style of hockey, and my interest in hockey is limited to the Russian version. Your video shows how Russian style hockey is applied in competition at all levels. I love to see Fedorov, Mogilny, Bure, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Kovalev, especially Malkin, and most especially Datsyuk. Question: what planet is Datsyuk from?

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santini5389 View Post
A lot of that is just hockey. Not "Russian hockey". Just because a Russian player is doing it doesn't make it specifically Russian.
There are plenty of commercial DVD copies of the 1979 Challenge Cup at Madison Square Garden available from various websites. Watch Game 2 and 3 - that will illustrate the difference between Russian hockey and what you see in the NHL.

Old
07-07-2012, 06:42 PM
Botta

Quote:

I don`t think threre is a lot of hate against russian hockey.Maybe some people like NA hockey, but that`s ok.Me, myself like russian hoclkey a lot

Botta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 12:09 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botta View Post
I don`t think threre is a lot of hate against russian hockey.Maybe some people like NA hockey, but that`s ok.Me, myself like russian hoclkey a lot
People have a right to pick the brand of hockey they like. It is expected and understood that North Americans will clearly prefer NA hockey. I think it is maybe just a small but vocal minority who dislike or resent players like Semin or Radulov no matter what they do, but I think the media exploits some negative feelings to get a story.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:24 PM
Rumcajs

I dont understand the difference. Dump and chase versus puck possession?

From what i can identify its more about personalities. Some of the high profile Russian players act like Football players aka whiney babies.

I think the montra that North Americans feel is that the country of Russia is basically Vice City. Wild craziness with money being tossed around.

Which isn't entirely true but my 3 days in St. Petersburg were wild

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:07 AM
duga

Well, it's easy Glenn Gould is one of my favourite "Celebs" of all time,

and A. Semin is the Glenn Gould of Hockey. (a bit of a headcase, but utterly brilliant when on his best...)

on general: they play the game, they don't just work it. (when I wanna see somebody work, I just have to raise my head and look at thes desks surrounding me...)

duga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
I dont understand the difference. Dump and chase versus puck possession?

From what i can identify its more about personalities. Some of the high profile Russian players act like Football players aka whiney babies.

I think the montra that North Americans feel is that the country of Russia is basically Vice City. Wild craziness with money being tossed around.

Which isn't entirely true but my 3 days in St. Petersburg were wild
Bottom line: puck possession requires more practice time to perfect the skills at full speed. Dump and chase is more or less the only option for the NHL, mainly because of two factors: (1) because of the number of games and the amount of travel, there isn't enough time available to put in a puck possession system, and (2) the small NHL rinks don't have enough space to permit a sustained puck possession game. Beyond that, its just a matter of preference.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
Well, it's easy Glenn Gould is one of my favourite "Celebs" of all time,

and A. Semin is the Glenn Gould of Hockey. (a bit of a headcase, but utterly brilliant when on his best...)

on general: they play the game, they don't just work it. (when I wanna see somebody work, I just have to raise my head and look at thes desks surrounding me...)
Great comment! Its art, in comparison to just grunting and groaning.

Old
07-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Rumcajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
Bottom line: puck possession requires more practice time to perfect the skills at full speed. Dump and chase is more or less the only option for the NHL, mainly because of two factors: (1) because of the number of games and the amount of travel, there isn't enough time available to put in a puck possession system, and (2) the small NHL rinks don't have enough space to permit a sustained puck possession game. Beyond that, its just a matter of preference.
The NHL isn't entirely dump and chase. For example the top three lines on the Ottawa Senators play puck possession. While the 4th line plays jump and chase.

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:41 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
The NHL isn't entirely dump and chase. For example the top three lines on the Ottawa Senators play puck possession. While the 4th line plays jump and chase.
Its very hard to do, but I know some try, particularly lines that have predominantly Europeans on them.

Old
08-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Vandalay Industries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
You are absolutely right, Mulle! It is hate, I don't think that's overstating it.

There there... Dry your eyes, have a tissue

Vandalay Industries is offline   Reply With Quote