HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Russia

2012 v 2009 v 2008

Old
05-20-2012, 04:25 PM
Dynamo81

vCash: 500
2012 v 2009 v 2008

I am not talking about which win meant the most to you but in terms of game plan, how the side looked on the eyes etc.

I felt this year the Russians had an actual plan and the defense seemed reliable Forwards were effective(especially Malkin), Ovi actually looked more like his old self playing under Bil. I think this was the best Russia has played in a very long time.

Dynamo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 04:42 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by vostok View Post
I am not talking about which win meant the most to you but in terms of game plan, how the side looked on the eyes etc.

I felt this year the Russians had an actual plan and the defense seemed reliable Forwards were effective(especially Malkin), Ovi actually looked more like his old self playing under Bil. I think this was the best Russia has played in a very long time.
Best team since the Nagano, or even possibly Soviet days (all around game).

There is more potential too, that's perhaps the exciting part.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 07:14 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
great team, but lest not forget, there was no real competition - our near best possible team (the only REAL omission is Kovi) played pretty much EHT level - Finns barely any NHLers, Slovaks - over the hill team for the most part, Norway - are you serious? Swedes without Lundkvist and Sedin brothers?
I am very happy for us, but let's not call it the best team ever, as the competition was on the weaker side. Let's just celebrate the victory.

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 07:43 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
great team, but lest not forget, there was no real competition - our near best possible team (the only REAL omission is Kovi) played pretty much EHT level - Finns barely any NHLers, Slovaks - over the hill team for the most part, Norway - are you serious? Swedes without Lundkvist and Sedin brothers?
I am very happy for us, but let's not call it the best team ever, as the competition was on the weaker side. Let's just celebrate the victory.
Very true. The win against Sweden though, should not be devalued. It was a good solid win against a very good team, at the time- before they broke down.

Old
05-21-2012, 08:57 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
Very true. The win against Sweden though, should not be devalued. It was a good solid win against a very good team, at the time- before they broke down.
Indeed, W is a W, but that game could easily been lost.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 09:21 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Your points are very true, but what I found encouraging was that these were the same quality teams that were beating Russia last year, and pushing the team to the brink the year before (2010). This year, I got the feeling that the team was totally in control, and that it was just a matter of time before victory would be achieved. The biggest element, IMHO, was the defensive blanket that we were able to put over the opposition, preventing them from getting any offensive thrust moving forward. The opposition was a factor in that, but I thought the team had a defensive game plan that they really believed them, and that told them what to do in every situation. They clearly believed in their game plan.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 11:52 AM
NMF78

Quote:
great team, but lest not forget, there was no real competition - our near best possible team (the only REAL omission is Kovi) .
a healthy Radulov would certainly have been there and probably a couple of others

All in all i think its a good tournament to built on for Russia for Sochi.

NMF78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:45 PM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF78 View Post
a healthy Radulov would certainly have been there and probably a couple of others

All in all i think its a good tournament to built on for Russia for Sochi.
you are right, I totally forgot about Radulov. So we were missing two 100% sure to be there guys: Radulov and Kovi.

honorary mention to: Anisimov, Kulilkov, Voinov, Zaripov, Morozov, Zinov'ev - my memory is poor lately, surely missed a few more. For the Olympics canada and usa will have completely different teams, Sweden will have their goalie, gonna be a different game, but certainly this tournament is a good sign before OG, for the most part has shown that Bill can coach at this level.

Old
05-21-2012, 03:47 PM
Coramoor

It was kind of a must win in my opinion. Canada never should've lost that game to the slovaks just with the way it was going but otherwise. The slovaks were missing their number 1 goalie, and best 2 players.

Russia was the only team with their top players there and it would've been a bad sign had they failed

Coramoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:49 AM
NMF78

Quote:
you are right, I totally forgot about Radulov. So we were missing two 100% sure to be there guys: Radulov and Kovi.

honorary mention to: Anisimov, Kulilkov, Voinov, Zaripov, Morozov, Zinov'ev - my memory is poor lately, surely missed a few more. For the Olympics canada and usa will have completely different teams, Sweden will have their goalie, gonna be a different game, but certainly this tournament is a good sign before OG, for the most part has shown that Bill can coach at this level.

Als don't forget how Tarasenko and even Yakupov develop the next 2 years, certainly Tarasenko will be there i think.

NMF78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:52 PM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF78 View Post
Als don't forget how Tarasenko and even Yakupov develop the next 2 years, certainly Tarasenko will be there i think.
well I meant right now for this tournament, clearly if Tarasenko infers a good lesson out of this year - he will pick it up.

Old
05-24-2012, 06:40 AM
Sergei DRW

Quote:
Actually, I thought that wasn't such a good team on defense.
Any defender outside Nikulin didn't look that good. No break-out passes, no easy defense zone leave. A lot of mistakes in their own zone.
A good measuring stick would have been a game vs motivated Canada, which wasn't meant to be.

I don't think any of the Biryukov, Denisov, Medvedev, Rysensky should sniff the NT minutes in Sochi.

I actually have a whole compilation of mistakes by Russian D throughout the tournament - I hope Bill takes a good look at that, because that D doesn't look like Olympic-championship worthy.

Sergei DRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei DRW View Post
Actually, I thought that wasn't such a good team on defense.
Any defender outside Nikulin didn't look that good. No break-out passes, no easy defense zone leave. A lot of mistakes in their own zone.
A good measuring stick would have been a game vs motivated Canada, which wasn't meant to be.

I don't think any of the Biryukov, Denisov, Medvedev, Rysensky should sniff the NT minutes in Sochi.

I actually have a whole compilation of mistakes by Russian D throughout the tournament - I hope Bill takes a good look at that, because that D doesn't look like Olympic-championship worthy.
Wow, you must be an expert. You see what no others do.
I would like to see your compilation. Of course they made mistakes, like 2-3 a game, but everyone makes mistakes. It's inevitible. And as the tournament progressed they got much better.

You're on your own. The team was solid but not perfect, every expert, analyst and hockey player has said that. But much, much better than last year or many years prior.

Old
05-24-2012, 04:04 PM
Dynamo81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei DRW View Post

Is Russia's defense ever going to be above mediocre? I feel that this was the first time in a long time the D looked solid which could be factored by the forward lines developing chemistry and taking pressure of them.

I agree with CSKA78 sure the competition was not as strong as Olympic level however as Yakushev72 stated this team appeared in control compared to previous years. I hope Bilyaletdinov keeps preparing for the Olympics, winning this tournament has taken a lot of pressure off his shoulders and he can continue on his philosophy which hopefully gives Russia a shot at gold in Sochi

Dynamo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
Wow, you must be an expert. You see what no others do.
I would like to see your compilation. Of course they made mistakes, like 2-3 a game, but everyone makes mistakes. It's inevitible. And as the tournament progressed they got much better.

You're on your own. The team was solid but not perfect, every expert, analyst and hockey player has said that. But much, much better than last year or many years prior.
I agree with you and vostok. They weren't perfect, but I thought the defense was, for a change, one of the real strengths of the team. They consistently kept opponents away from dangerous scoring areas, and they didn't allow teams to cycle around, control the puck, and get flurries of scoring chances. I would cite two examples of poor defense (1) last year's WHC team, and (2) this year's World Junior team. Both teams allowed the opposition to control the puck close to the net and scramble around and get all kinds of scoring chances. They had an impossible time clearing the puck out of the zone.

By contrast, this team didn't allow other teams to enter the zone easily, and if they got in, they didn't stay long. They gave up very few good scoring chances. They worked as a cohesive team in blocking areas of entry, and the opponents seemed to get very frustrated because they couldn't generate an organized attack. I think they believed in Coach Bill's system, and once everyone realized that the defense was going to be solid, the offense felt less pressure to score on every attack. The whole team played with great confidence, which was lacking last year, and I think defense could be the main reason.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 01:29 AM
BMann

Having grown up watching the older Soviet teams this team did remind me a little of them.

Though they have an awful long way to go to match the artistry and clinical efficiency of those teams.

They did look more solid two way across the ice, the defence cleared the puck when required and matched the physicality of the opposition. There was a great sense of camraderie and also fight in them often coming back from a goal down to win games.

Netminding depth seems pretty deep and what it really needs is for the likes of Orlov and Chudinov perhaps Kulikov to keep improving rapidly over the next two seasons.

Granted Sochi will have the pressure of a home crowd and other teams will bring stronger rosters (although despite the protestations Canada as the world's greatest hockey nation.....still brought a very strong team all NHLers too I believe) but under Billy I really think and hope that the gold is within reach.

It's been far too long since 1992.

BMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 03:42 PM
MaxV

Quote:
Originally Posted by takharov View Post
Netminding depth seems pretty deep and what it really needs is for the likes of Orlov and Chudinov perhaps Kulikov to keep improving rapidly over the next two seasons.
Voynov as well.

MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:47 AM
pouskin74*

Quote:
how could you say that? REAL? Radulov,Bryzgalov,Kulikov or Markov are not real ones? Anisimov? Voinov?
PS: Team Sweden was EHT level? Who cares about NHL-rs anyway if they were defeated by teams with less NHL players(Can-Svk and USA-Fin)?

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:53 AM
pouskin74*

Quote:

I bet 7-8 players from this Canadian team will participate in Sochi.

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:17 PM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by pouskin74 View Post
how could you say that? REAL? Radulov,Bryzgalov,Kulikov or Markov are not real ones? Anisimov? Voinov?
PS: Team Sweden was EHT level? Who cares about NHL-rs anyway if they were defeated by teams with less NHL players(Can-Svk and USA-Fin)?
the part about sweden was missing their top 3 players (they only had one true world class player top-10 - Zetterberg, Alfi is old, their other arguably top-10 world players weren't there. Their Achilles hill was the goalie he's let them down big-time. As far as the rest of the players you are listing - I have listed them in another post that you later quote. But really let's assume all 7 are set in stone candidates for OG, that's about 28% of the team, let's assume that 8 canadiens will be on the OG roster - that's 32%...so our 72% Olympic team won the tournament, where Canada had 32% of their future OG roster. Stop acting, like I am saying not to celebrate the victory.

Old
05-30-2012, 03:39 PM
Bure

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vostok View Post

I really enjoyed this years win along with the win in 2008, since it was I'm Canada it made it that much sweeter. But my favorite will be in 2014 ))

Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:31 PM
Atas2000

Quote:
Kovalchuk, Radulov, Morozov, Zaripov, Kulikov, Markov, Bryzgalov. There were some omissions.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 06:09 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
Kovalchuk, Radulov, Morozov, Zaripov, Kulikov, Markov, Bryzgalov. There were some omissions.
You could also argue that Voynov, Orlov would get the call over Ryasenski for example.

Yakupov looks like the real do for the future though. Hope he continous at the current pace.