HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

5 Steps to fixing the Maple Leafs

Old
07-10-2012, 01:14 PM
AK1990

vCash: 500
5 Steps to fixing the Maple Leafs

I know, 5 Steps hardly seems enough to fix the Toronto Maple Leafs. However, I feel like this is a good start. I'm not a big poster on this site. So be gentle. I'm sure some will rip me apart.

First things first. Kessel is awesome but needs to go...as it stands we have close to $20 million dollars coming up after this season (if there is a season) and you can bet Brian watched the Parise/Suter craziness and started salivating thinking about his boys Getz & Perry being in the same situation after this year. (This is one of the reasons why I think no matter what, Burke won't be fired after this year). He'll get the full 6 years to try and rebuild this team to a contender.

Now, Let me make this clear...I don't necessarily believe that my trades I'm proposing are real and what Burke is going to do. I just think that these are fair trades.

1. Kessel Trade

So The Rangers have been looking for that dynamic scorer and have been "kicking tires" for what seems like an eternity on Rick Nash. However, Nash is 28 and has had a down season and has a ludicrous cap hit. With the uncertainties of a potential lockout it wouldn't be a wise BUSINESS decision for the Rangers to take on that salary. What happens if the negotiations come out with a $15 million dollar cut on salary? The Rangers would have given up A LOT of pieces to then have to blow up the team more with acquiring Nash. (This is why Luongo in my mind hasn't been moved either...just my opinion)

Now, I've read a lot of posts on whether its a good idea or bad idea to trade Kessel. Regardless, the likelihood of Burke trading him for a return that would be similar to Seguin, Hamilton & Knight is highly unlikely; Burke wouldn't have made that trade if he knew he was giving up that much at the time. Instead he traded futures not those players...it happened to become those players. Unfortunate but what can you do...risk taking is part of the job.

To New York Rangers - Kessel
To Toronto - Staal, Kreider & 1st in 2013

Rangers get a younger scorer then what they would have gotten with Nash. Toronto gains a sturdy defenseman and a big power-forward winger.

2. Weber

Nashville is now stuck between a rock and a hard place. Suter walked and their best player and probably the best overall defenseman in the game in Weber with a minimum of 1 season left in Nashville. Reports of Weber being shocked of Suter's departure doesn't bode well for Nashville.

The likelihood of an offer sheet is farfetched and GM's tend to stay away. Stamkos wasn't offered one and neither will Nashville. Mind you, Nashville would probably prefer it because they can match it and Keep Weber...with Suter walking they have a lot more money to throw at Weber. However, This is where Burke should strike. Weber will want out. He's close with Poille. Making a deal for the superstar defenseman is what Burke needs to do get this team in the right shape.

To Nashville - Phaneuf, Lupul, Franson, Ashton, 1st in 2014 & 2nd in 2015 (2nd is only if Weber resigns)
To Toronto - Weber (forgot to add CONTINGENT ON WEBER RESIGNING LONG TERM)

- Nashville had to part with Franson because they needed to shed Lombardi's salary in hopes to sign all of their stars. Franson is big and will be a top 4 one day. He was jerked around in Toronto. Really believe in this kid. Phaneuf is either the worst hockey player or a good hockey player that is in the wrong situation. Phaneuf isn't going to be the shutdown 26 minutes a night guy. Not his game. However, he will give you solid minutes and can put up good numbers with the potential to but up great offensive numbers. He isn't overrated he was just given more money then he deserves. Lupul is a leader, and had a great season. After a few bad injuries he's playing how people expected the former 7th overall pick to play. Love this guy, would hate for him to leave. Ashton is a young power-forward with good upside, still young. Toronto also gives up 2 high picks in a 1st and a 2nd.

3. # 1 centre

- Burke stated in a recent interview that one of the reasons why it can be a competitive advantage to stay away from big signings on July 1 is the panic other GMs have of shedding salary after spending a lot during free agency. Enter Colorado. Stastny is a big cap hit for an underachiever. Stastny is blocking one of O'Reilly or Duchene. The issue is Stastny isn't a pure salary dump. He is a good hockey player and is young at only 26 years old. So they won't part with him for scraps. Giguere is the guy who mentored Reimer well during Reimer's breakout season 2 years ago. Giguere showed he can still play and he knows what it takes and can still play.

To Colorado - MacArthur, Bozak, Rynnas, Liles & NYR 1st in 2013
To Toronto - Stastny & Giguere

4. replacing Kessel

- Now, I'm not comparing the two but without Kessel Toronto would need a go to guy to put the 'biscuit in the basket'. Now, the consensus is that Bobby Ryan HATES Randy Carlyle. This isn't true...he hated Anaheim management. Carlyle wasn't fired because management elected to go with Bobby Ryan over Carlyle. Simply, Carlyle is the type of coach that after awhile can become difficult to follow. Lupul however, had beef with Carlyle. Anaheim is desperately trying to rectify their team with their two superstars heading for UFA at seasons end. Ryan can allow them to build more depth and give Anaheim the second line centre that they've missed since Andy McDonald departed.

To Anaheim - Grabovski, Gunnarsson, D'Amigo & 2nd in 2013
To Toronto - Ryan

5. Leadership

SHANE DOAN!! He is a free agent and is EXACTLY what Burke needs. He is a warrior. Hits, scores and plays defensive hockey. Now, Doan won't look at Toronto unless he sees a shot at winning in the near future as he is on the wrong side of 30. He has suffered a lot of heart break over Phoenix situation and coming up short in playoffs this past playoffs and countless years of bottom feeding. Pulling the trigger on these trades builds Toronto for a chance of success in the near future.

Lineup:

Van Riemsdyk------ Stastny ------- Ryan
Kreider---- Colborne/Kadri ------ Doan (A)
Kulemin ------- McClement ----- Frattin
Komarov -- Zigomanis/Steckel -- Brown

Staal (A)---------------Weber (C)
Gardiner ----------------Blacker
Holzer ----------------Komisarek

Reimer
Giguere

Cap Works. Team plays big and rough and defense first.

Sorry for such a long post. Thoughts? Would love feedback. REMEMBER I'm going off of what I feel is fair value for those who I suggested to trade for.

Last edited by AK1990: 07-10-2012 at 01:27 PM.
AK1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Duffman955

It would be difficult to even do one of those trades.

And anyways the second line sucks. Too unproven.

Also the defense sucks. You have 2 rookies in the top 6. Good luck with that.

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Aplayaz2000

giguere really?

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:19 PM
FireEverybody*

Five little simple steps ..
All we got to do is get ... Stastny, Kreider, Doan, Weber, Staal, and Ryan.

No problem. BRB planing the parade.

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:19 PM
PasDaSquini

Umm the trades solve nothing. We will still lack depth at centre, and we still have a goalie issue. the only thing these trades do is upgrade our top pairing d which tbh was not that terrible in the first place.

PasDaSquini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:20 PM
mooseOAK*

Trades are always easy when you control both sides.

Have to laugh at Phaneuf, Lupul, Franson, Ashton, and 1st in 2014 for one guaranteed year of Weber.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:26 PM
AK1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Trades are always easy when you control both sides.

Have to laugh at Phaneuf, Lupul, Franson, Ashton, and 1st in 2014 for one guaranteed year of Weber.
Fair...it was contingent on him resigning with Toronto

Old
07-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Suntouchable13

It is tough to pull off one big trade a year for a single team, let alone 5 big trades. A+ for the post, but I don't think it is very realistic. I also don't think that Burke was and is banking on Perry and Getzlaf to become UFAs in a year from now. I don't think Burke operates under such assumptions.

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Thee Implication
Gaaaaary Roberts!

Not going to lie that looks like a mess

Thee Implication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Tie Domi Esquire
;;

Trade phagoof burkey!

Tie Domi Esquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:33 PM
AK1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by PasDaSquini View Post
Umm the trades solve nothing. We will still lack depth at centre, and we still have a goalie issue. the only thing these trades do is upgrade our top pairing d which tbh was not that terrible in the first place.
To me the way the defense works would be Staal & Weber would be comparable to Suter/Weber combo in Nashville. Might not be as offensively gifted but Staal can put up decent numbers...whether he can put up Suter numbers remains to be seen. He is a few years younger.

Staal/Weber would go up against top pairings. They are big, hit big and can play sound defensive hockey.

Gardiner/Blacker are the pure offensive pairing. Yes, there is uncertainty with this however, Gardiner's game was extremely impressive last season. Blacker is more two-way but he wouldn't be relied on for his defensive game yet. However, he is a big competitor and can skate well.

Holzer/Komisarek they won't get tons of ice especially cause Carlyle uses his top 4 alot more...however, Holzer is tough and can provide a very similar game to what Schenn can. As long as he's not as flat footed as Schenn he can have a very sound year playing in the 5th spot on defense.

Plus there is a more defensive approach with these forwards which will only benefit this team defensively and in net as well.

Old
07-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Pierre Gotye

Nice effort, but I don't think any of those proposals are good, realistic or solves the Leafs problems, in many ways I think it makes them worse.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:35 PM
AK1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by PasDaSquini View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
It is tough to pull off one big trade a year for a single team, let alone 5 big trades. A+ for the post, but I don't think it is very realistic. I also don't think that Burke was and is banking on Perry and Getzlaf to become UFAs in a year from now. I don't think Burke operates under such assumptions.
Thanks for the comments, Yes, its probably not realistic was just how I thought the team could get better via trades. I do think he operates with those assumptions....it certainly looked that way when the Sedin's headed for free agency...Wilson jumped the gun and said we want them and that caused the rift between Vancouver & Toronto

Old
07-10-2012, 01:38 PM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

I like when people talk about signing getz and perry. Burke will not be in the running because they will want ten year deals and he doesn't do that.

X factor is the new cba, but there are no guarantees

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:45 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Send your resume to Burke

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:46 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

5 Steps:

1. Be patient and let the kids develop.

2. Trade a few extra roster players for an upgrade, opening a spot for a kid to play.

Example: trade Franson and MacA, for an upgrade of Franson. Someone to compliment Dion.

3. Be patient.

4. Allow Lombardi, Connolly and Komo to play, and hopefully be able to move them by the deadline, but if not, let them expire and open cap space.

5. Be patient.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Rinzler

Good effort in the OP but just isn't realistic at all. This is the wrong time to propose a fire sale which is basically what you're doing here.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:55 PM
Larcos_Unal

how many 2013 1st do we have????

Larcos_Unal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:57 PM
topched

Mind boggling when guys make these lavish posts with multiple deals etc. and then when the feedback is negative they are the first ones to say:

"It's not realistic it's just how I thought the team could get better"

1. If you know it's not realistic why did you waste your time putting together this nonsense and explaining it a out in an essay-post?

2. Or if you meant it to be unrealistic from the outset then don't hold back! Couldve saved some time by going:

To Pittsburgh: Torontos roster plus 2013 and 2014 1st

To Toronto: Crosby Malkin Letang Fleury

-sign free agents

topched is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:57 PM
GhettoHockey

why don't you just develop the players we have

GhettoHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:04 PM
AK1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Mind boggling when guys make these lavish posts with multiple deals etc. and then when the feedback is negative they are the first ones to say:

"It's not realistic it's just how I thought the team could get better"

1. If you know it's not realistic why did you waste your time putting together this nonsense and explaining it a out in an essay-post?

2. Or if you meant it to be unrealistic from the outset then don't hold back! Couldve saved some time by going:

To Pittsburgh: Torontos roster plus 2013 and 2014 1st

To Toronto: Crosby Malkin Letang Fleury

-sign free agents
Fair points. When I state its not realistic I think the value is realistic the only thing I would say is these are big deals...your lucky if your pulling off 1 deal let alone 4 trades. I could have been a lot more creative if I was just going to let all things go wild. I do like the pitt trade...too bad it would never happen.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:05 PM
AK1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcos_Unal View Post
how many 2013 1st do we have????
We'd have 2 ours and the rangers...however, the ranger 1st gets put into another trade. So in the end we'd have our 1st in 2013 but no 1st in 2014 as it would be in the Nashville trade.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Winreims

Phaneuf, Lupul, Franson, Ashton, and 1st in 2014 for ..... Weber? I don't think so

Winreims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:16 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

No offese...this is an EA sports type series of blockbuster deals that seldom happens.

We can simplify by acquiring a top 6 veteran 2 way guy like Doan or Morrow to mentor the Frattins, Kadris and Ashtons.

If VAN is in a dealing mood, I'd make that deal for Luongo, and give them Kulemin and the 1st they reportedly are demanding..I'd also include Grabovski. And James Reimer...and I'd take Kesler back with Luongo.

If its Morrow, you're losing Macarthur, and some FW prospect depth, likely a D man (Liles). DAL isn't likely to part with Morrow, unless they're in on Doan.

Lupul Kesler Kessel (first one to call this the "Lick Line" gets a black spot beside their name)
JVR Bozak Morrow/Doan
Frattin JMC Kadri
Leo K Steckel Brown

(Connolly/Lombo)

Gunner Phaneuf
Gardiner Franson
Holzer Komisarek

Luongo
Scrivens

Franson is a natural on the right side, I believe. When he came to TOR, he struggled with the fact that there was no spot for him on the right side. Yes, he and Gards are both offence-oriented, and may get exposed until they figure it out. Luongo will mitigate that issue.
Bozie in the 2 hole until Colborne forces the issue.

Gillis needs to save face. He wants a first, he wants a tandem guy to work with Schneids, and he wanted Kulemin, current in arbitration. The deal clears the logjam in TOR, justifies GMMG's asking price, and satisfies our need for a 1C and a franchise G.

The above (or similar) would have a similar effect to what both PHI and LAK did, in making a bold statement. If we want to accelerate the rebuild, these are the steps we need to take. A couple bold, concise transactions...

...Blockbusters are fun, but any more than one or two big deals before camp opens is a stretch. Even the above is a stretch...

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Leaf For Life

All you've done is closed sum holes and opened new ones.

Leaf For Life is offline   Reply With Quote