HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

B. Morrow (LW)

Old
07-10-2012, 07:39 PM
CobraAcesS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I like Morrow, but I don't think he has much left in the tank. Players with that style tends to fade early.

I wouldn't mind him here, but wouldn't expect much in the way of offense. If we got him for a low price, I'd love him here. Which won't happen of course.
To be fair he is one season removed from a 33 goal season. 15-20 goals as a third line LW and some veteran leadership in the playoffs is all we would need out of him. And probably only for one season unless he really tears it up and looks to be healthy enough for another couple year contract.

Basically I just think it would be a very strong stopgap until one of our forwards prospects proves they can stick.

I am not so sure management is as impressed with Hejda as Sacco is and especially at 3+ million. I could easily see him being moved out plus a pick in order to ensure that we have a stronger chance at making the post season and possibly doing some damage there.

And before people say we are not ready to actually compete in the playoffs. I think O'Reilly & Landeskog might differ in that opinion which they will surly prove with what they do on the ice.

With Morrow we would have exactly the type of blue collar physical team that does well in the playoffs. Our defense? Look at what NJ did with a blue collar defense?

And Parise wasn't exactly their best player in their run either. We have enough skill to go with the grit.

Varlamov has some proven moments under pressure in the playoffs while keeping WSH competitive against Pitt. Varly and Landeskog would probably be our difference makers there, but with only Hejduk & Giggy being our truly experienced playoff vets we could use another vet for sure.

The 130 hits he put up in 57GP is pretty attractive to when all three of our centers are more skill than grit. And when combined with the offense he is capable of..

Doan would be awesome but that again is looking less and less likely and we need a left handed left wing more than we need a right handed right wing as well.

This is assuming that it wouldn't cost us something ridiculous like a 1st + Elliott.. (Which IMO it wouldn't)

Do this and then go after Enstrom at the deadline when hopefully it wouldn't cost us Stastny our team going into last quater of the season and hopefully the playoffs would look something like.

McGinn - Stastny - Jones

Landeskog - Duchene - PAP

Morrow - O'Reilly - Downie (Scary defensive/physical line that can score.)

McLeod - Mitchell - Hejduk

Kobasew

Enstrom - EJ (Obviously if we could get Enstrom for a 1st Rounder Plus, depending on how competitive we look (And how the Jets look) at that point would determine the validity or possibility of a move like that.)

Zannon - O'Byrne

SOB - Wilson/Hunwick

Varly/Giggy

Our top 9 forward group would be capable of putting up almost 1000 hits over 82 games. That is nuts to think about with the scoring they are capable of at the same time.

Last edited by CobraAcesS: 07-10-2012 at 08:02 PM.
CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 08:14 PM
CobraAcesS

Just wanted to post this as proof, (2011-2012 Stats)

Landeskog 219 Hits 82GP
McGinn 159 Hits 78GP
Downie 105 Hits 75GP
Parenteu 99 Hits 80GP
Jones 85 Hits 72GP

*Morrow 130 Hits 57GP

O'Reilly 62 Hits 81GP
Stastny 40 Hits 79GP
Duchene 43 Hits 58GP *(WTF?)

That is 942 hits total even with all of the games missed by those guys (73 Total). Scary when just talking about a top 9 offensive group.

Old
07-10-2012, 08:18 PM
Foppa2118

I don't think we need a winger, and I think Morrow's role is one the Avs have in spades, but if the price is right, I wouldn't really complain.

I don't know the details on the severity of his injury, but it sounds like he thinks he'll be ok. It seems to be mainly last year he had injury issues with his back/neck problem he missed 18 games with. Before that he had an 82 and 76 game season. He's had a couple other shortened seasons, but he also has another 82,81, and 81 game seasons.

The neck injury thing is a little worrisome, but I don't think he's been the train wreck of injuries people are making it out to be.

That said, he's not gonna come for free despite his injuries, and I'd rather use those assets for the trade deadline. Bringing in a forward that will effectively bump Hejduk to the 4th line is not necessary whatsoever. Who knows, he could have a bit of a resurgence this year.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 09:25 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I don't think we need a winger, and I think Morrow's role is one the Avs have in spades, but if the price is right, I wouldn't really complain.

I don't know the details on the severity of his injury, but it sounds like he thinks he'll be ok. It seems to be mainly last year he had injury issues with his back/neck problem he missed 18 games with. Before that he had an 82 and 76 game season. He's had a couple other shortened seasons, but he also has another 82,81, and 81 game seasons.

The neck injury thing is a little worrisome, but I don't think he's been the train wreck of injuries people are making it out to be.

That said, he's not gonna come for free despite his injuries, and I'd rather use those assets for the trade deadline. Bringing in a forward that will effectively bump Hejduk to the 4th line is not necessary whatsoever. Who knows, he could have a bit of a resurgence this year.
Which one of our RWs would you move to the left side? The only one I know that is remotely effective there is Jones from when he played with Stewart & Stastny.

Yeah PAP says he can play LW but do you really want to sign a guy for 4X4M then move him to his off wing and expect him to duplicate his past numbers on a new team and in a new system?

We are short one winger and specifically one LW if you assume we would carry a thirteenth forward like we often do. That being Kobasew or McLeod depending on how Sacco is feeling that day. I think Hejduk will get some O-zone starts with our top 3 centers and some power play time but game to game he wont be playing top 6 minutes unless he fights his way back into that role against Jones, PAP, and Downie.

I would not mind seeing a rotation of rookies at the third line LW spot but that should not be the first option. Which is why I think a veteran to fill that spot for 1-2 years would be ideal.

Old
07-10-2012, 09:31 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
Which one of our RWs would you move to the left side? The only one I know that is remotely effective there is Jones from when he played with Stewart & Stastny.

Yeah PAP says he can play LW but do you really want to sign a guy for 4X4M then move him to his off wing and expect him to duplicate his past numbers on a new team and in a new system?

We are short one winger and specifically one LW if you assume we would carry a thirteenth forward like we often do. That being Kobasew or McLeod depending on how Sacco is feeling that day.
Downie makes the most sense to me. He's played both sides in his career, and done ok with Duchene internationally.

Jones can play the left but he has no chemistry at all with Duchene, and I'm not even sure if he's played with O'Reilly before. He doesn't seem to be a good fit for his style anyway.

Hejduk should be tried with Lando and Radar again in pre-season to see if Hedgie can work well with them again. That would be my plan at least.

Old
07-10-2012, 09:47 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Downie makes the most sense to me. He's played both sides in his career, and done ok with Duchene internationally.

Jones can play the left but he has no chemistry at all with Duchene, and I'm not even sure if he's played with O'Reilly before. He doesn't seem to be a good fit for his style anyway.

Hejduk should be tried with Lando and Radar again in pre-season to see if Hedgie can work well with them again. That would be my plan at least.
So you want Duchene playing with two smaller checking forwards who both pass the puck more than they shoot it? That would only encourage more selfish play from him.

Not exactly the best way to set your young franchise center up for success.

I think Landeskog needs to be moved up with Duchene & PAP, O'Reilly is the best center on the team IMO to put a rookie with if one of Heard, Hishon or Sgarbossa end up making the team.

Keep everyone at their natural positions and limit Hejduk's ice time to keep him fresh and effective for the entire season. Expecting anything more from him is dangerous.

They can easily work him in a few O-Zone starts with Stastny or Duchene to add a more skilled element to either line during a shift. As well as give him powerplay time.

Hoping for anything is exactly what bit them in the ass when it came to Lindstrom, Mueller & Hishon. We seen how that worked out.

Hejduk and a rookie are the two biggest question marks on the team and it's best to limit how much you rely on either one. Which is why I still think we need one more winger. Especially with the cap space we have.

A one or two year effective stop gap veteran is probably the absolute best option to keep flexibility as well.

(Btw I will eat a large plate of CROW if they do that and Duchene scores 35 goals or better. Just think they would shut him down as the main offensive weapon on that line.)

Last edited by CobraAcesS: 07-10-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old
07-10-2012, 09:56 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 900
Not sure if already mentioned, but... screw Morrow.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:06 PM
flyfysher

CobraAcesS,

I agree with your analysis but I don't see the Avs management picking up Morrow for a year or two given their overall youth movement. On the other hand, I'm guessing the price for Semin, Nash and Ryan is too high. So if Morrow could be gotten for cheap then it would allow the Avs to wait until next year though I don't know who'll be available through FA. But you should also consider the Avs dumped Mueller given his injury history. And given the team's injury history the last few years, you better believe a history of injury would definitely be a serious concern for them. So all in all, Morrow would simply be a stopgap measure.

But like you, I think the Avs need a legitimate LW instead of moving players to fill in. I'm not enamored of breaking up Lando and ROR either given their chemistry. But you're right. Downie, ROR and Morrow would be a physically intimidating line assuming Morrow can stay healthy.

flyfysher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:06 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopadstack View Post
not sure if already mentioned, but... Screw morrow.
wtf? That said Bruno before!? lol

Old
07-10-2012, 10:13 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfysher View Post
CobraAcesS,

I agree with your analysis but I don't see the Avs management picking up Morrow for a year or two given their overall youth movement. On the other hand, I'm guessing the price for Semin, Nash and Ryan is too high. So if Morrow could be gotten for cheap then it would allow the Avs to wait until next year though I don't know who'll be available through FA. But you should also consider the Avs dumped Mueller given his injury history. And given the team's injury history the last few years, you better believe a history of injury would definitely be a serious concern for them. So all in all, Morrow would simply be a stopgap measure.

But like you, I think the Avs need a legitimate LW instead of moving players to fill in. I'm not enamored of breaking up Lando and ROR either given their chemistry. But you're right. Downie, ROR and Morrow would be a physically intimidating line assuming Morrow can stay healthy.
Assuming Morrow could stay healthy he has enough grit, offense, and leadership ability to create space and be good for Duchene as well.

I would say play him next to Duchene and when/if he gets injured. Move Landeskog there and give call ups to Hishon, Heard and Sgarbossa as needed letting them play with our best defensive center. And I am not sure the injury thing would be to much of an issue with no real commitment beyond this year.

As you said, as long as the assets needed were not to significant. Best case scenario he puts up another 30 goal season and creates space for Duchene along with some protection as well.

It could end up being just as effective of a line as Molson - Tavares - PAP were.

Either way it gives us options on the left side without having to play guys on their off-wing.

Old
07-11-2012, 12:15 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
So you want Duchene playing with two smaller checking forwards who both pass the puck more than they shoot it? That would only encourage more selfish play from him.

Not exactly the best way to set your young franchise center up for success.

I think Landeskog needs to be moved up with Duchene & PAP, O'Reilly is the best center on the team IMO to put a rookie with if one of Heard, Hishon or Sgarbossa end up making the team.

Keep everyone at their natural positions and limit Hejduk's ice time to keep him fresh and effective for the entire season. Expecting anything more from him is dangerous.

They can easily work him in a few O-Zone starts with Stastny or Duchene to add a more skilled element to either line during a shift. As well as give him powerplay time.

Hoping for anything is exactly what bit them in the ass when it came to Lindstrom, Mueller & Hishon. We seen how that worked out.

Hejduk and a rookie are the two biggest question marks on the team and it's best to limit how much you rely on either one. Which is why I still think we need one more winger. Especially with the cap space we have.

A one or two year effective stop gap veteran is probably the absolute best option to keep flexibility as well.

(Btw I will eat a large plate of CROW if they do that and Duchene scores 35 goals or better. Just think they would shut him down as the main offensive weapon on that line.)
I'm not sure if you are referring to Downie and PAP, but calling them smaller checking forwards is selling them extremely short.

Besides that obvious point, Duchene has never been a pure playmaker, and both Downie and PAP have scored 20 goals before so Duchene they are perfectly capable of putting the puck in the net.

It all comes down to how they gel.

They don't need to have all top nine forwards as sure bets. That's a luxory that almost no team has. If they can get another forward great, but hoping for one player to able to contribute in a top nine role should not be fear inducing. If he doesn't, there's plenty of other options with prospects or trades, and if not, they still have plenty of depth in their top 9.

They should not be throwing valuable assets towards something they have in spades. They're weakness is D, and either that or something else could be a desperate need to fill come trade deadline. It would help if they had assets they could move to fill those needs, or add to a package, so they don't have to rip out important pieces of their lineup to fill their real needs.

Again, I'm not sure if you pieced together the lines I was referring to, here they are.

McGinn-Staz-Jones
Landeskog-O'Reilly-Hejduk
Downie-Duchene-Parenteau

Last edited by Foppa2118: 07-11-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old
07-11-2012, 12:15 AM
Landeskog The Viking
Duchene The Boss

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
+1 We don't need him

Landeskog The Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:01 AM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
I'm not sure if you are referring to Downie and PAP, but calling them smaller checking forwards is selling them extremely short.

Besides that obvious point, Duchene has never been a pure playmaker, and both Downie and PAP have scored 20 goals before so Duchene they are perfectly capable of putting the puck in the net.

It all comes down to how they gel.

They don't need to have all top nine forwards as sure bets. That's a luxory that almost no team has. If they can get another forward great, but hoping for one player to able to contribute in a top nine role should not be fear inducing. If he doesn't, there's plenty of other options with prospects or trades, and if not, they still have plenty of depth in their top 9.

Again, I'm not sure if you pieced together the lines I was referring to, here they are.

McGinn-Staz-Jones
Landeskog-O'Reilly-Hejduk
Downie-Duchene-Parenteau
Just don't agree with moving a RW to the left side and don't think there is enough skill there because exactly how you have them listed as the third line is exactly how they will rank it terms of production on our team.

It looks like a third line with a first line center in the middle of it. Players will focus on shutting Duchene down and effectively shut the line down.

Downie and PAP are complimentary players, why have two complimentary players on one line when you actually have the talent to spread them out?

McGinn - Stastny - Jones works and we know it's effective because Stastny has the ability to utilize two shooters and McGinn is actually looking like he could really be a top 6 power forward who has a sick wrist shot and pretty amazing speed for his size. Jones is Jones.. Does everything ok except pass.

Landeskog - Duchene - PAP has a playmaker in PAP a sniper in Duchene who can be a bit of both playmaker/sniper and a power foward who likes to shoot the puck and throw the body.

O'Reilly is the guy who can be effective regardless of the amount of talent he has on his wings because his best attribute is his defensive game.

And people need to stop pretending Duchene is not a playmaker.. He is both. No he does not quite thread passes like Stastny does but 27 goals and 40 assists proves he can make plays just as well as he can shoot the puck. Which is the reason he actually has the potential to be a #1 center.

Not combining talent with talent is exactly what they tried at the start of last season and we got to watch two out of three of our centers flounder.

The only difference with that lineup is we would only have to watch one of our three centers flounder. Do people really believe a career 40 point player belongs on the second line with Duchene? Seriously?

I love Downie but hes a exceptional third line player, much like Stoll except at one point LA made the mistake of paying Stoll to be a second line center instead of a third line center. When they filled that second line center spot properly.. They won the cup..

I am not so sure that O'Reilly is not the same thing either and I won't be convinced until he puts up another 50+ point season.

We have two centers that have the ability/potential to put up upwards of 70 points. Give them the talent they need to do so. Anything else is a luxury.

If we can add a legit LW I am all for keeping Landeskog with O'Reilly if not, our centers with the highest offensive ceiling need to be given the tools to reach that ceiling.

Now if Landeskog and Duchene cannot click that is a different story. (Even then you still have Stastny, and McGinn & Duchene's combined speed could make for a very very potent combination.) But we don't know that because it was never tried. The combined potential of Landeskog & Duchene is much MUCH higher than the combined potential of Landeskog & O'Reilly.

People bag on Sacco for falling in love with Winnik.. Don't make the same mistake to a lesser extent with Downie. There is a reason Tampa saw fit to flip him for a 1st rounder and not exactly an early first round pick either.

Like I say.. I love the player but I am not expecting him to all of the sudden put up 50+ points either. He is 25 not 22 or 23 on his first or second year in the league.

C#1/75 + C#2/75 + C#3/40 = 190

C#1/60 + C#2/55 + C#3/55 = 170

This is exactly why talent can only be spread so thin before it hurts more than it helps. That 20 points can be the difference between playoffs or no playoffs.

Last edited by CobraAcesS: 07-11-2012 at 01:18 AM.
Old
07-11-2012, 02:17 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Just don't agree with moving a RW to the left side and don't think there is enough skill there because exactly how you have them listed as the third line is exactly how they will rank it terms of production on our team.

It looks like a third line with a first line center in the middle of it. Players will focus on shutting Duchene down and effectively shut the line down.

Downie and PAP are complimentary players, why have two complimentary players on one line when you actually have the talent to spread them out?

McGinn - Stastny - Jones works and we know it's effective because Stastny has the ability to utilize two shooters and McGinn is actually looking like he could really be a top 6 power forward who has a sick wrist shot and pretty amazing speed for his size. Jones is Jones.. Does everything ok except pass.

Landeskog - Duchene - PAP has a playmaker in PAP a sniper in Duchene who can be a bit of both playmaker/sniper and a power foward who likes to shoot the puck and throw the body.

O'Reilly is the guy who can be effective regardless of the amount of talent he has on his wings because his best attribute is his defensive game.

And people need to stop pretending Duchene is not a playmaker.. He is both. No he does not quite thread passes like Stastny does but 27 goals and 40 assists proves he can make plays just as well as he can shoot the puck. Which is the reason he actually has the potential to be a #1 center.

Not combining talent with talent is exactly what they tried at the start of last season and we got to watch two out of three of our centers flounder.

The only difference with that lineup is we would only have to watch one of our three centers flounder. Do people really believe a career 40 point player belongs on the second line with Duchene? Seriously?

I love Downie but hes a exceptional third line player, much like Stoll except at one point LA made the mistake of paying Stoll to be a second line center instead of a third line center. When they filled that second line center spot properly.. They won the cup..

I am not so sure that O'Reilly is not the same thing either and I won't be convinced until he puts up another 50+ point season.

We have two centers that have the ability/potential to put up upwards of 70 points. Give them the talent they need to do so. Anything else is a luxury.

If we can add a legit LW I am all for keeping Landeskog with O'Reilly if not, our centers with the highest offensive ceiling need to be given the tools to reach that ceiling.

Now if Landeskog and Duchene cannot click that is a different story. (Even then you still have Stastny, and McGinn & Duchene's combined speed could make for a very very potent combination.) But we don't know that because it was never tried. The combined potential of Landeskog & Duchene is much MUCH higher than the combined potential of Landeskog & O'Reilly.

People bag on Sacco for falling in love with Winnik.. Don't make the same mistake to a lesser extent with Downie. There is a reason Tampa saw fit to flip him for a 1st rounder and not exactly an early first round pick either.

Like I say.. I love the player but I am not expecting him to all of the sudden put up 50+ points either. He is 25 not 22 or 23 on his first or second year in the league.

C#1/75 + C#2/75 + C#3/40 = 190

C#1/60 + C#2/55 + C#3/55 = 170

This is exactly why talent can only be spread so thin before it hurts more than it helps. That 20 points can be the difference between playoffs or no playoffs.
I think you're making a huge deal out of nothing, and I don't know why you think Downie is a pure RW. He's a gritty right handed winger that has played LW before in the NHL. Players like him, Landeskog, Jones, and McGinn switch to their off wing much easier than pure skill players.

I also think you're way too concerned with putting Duchene with anyone but a sniper. He's a lot like Sakic in terms of production. He can be a playmaker, but he's a shooter as well. He's a 30-40 type in terms of goal/assist ratio. Sakic played great with shooters like Hejduk and Fleury, and he also played great with playmakers like Forsberg and Tanguay.

I'm restating myself again here, but Downie and PAP are both 20 goal scorers. Downie doesn't need to hold onto the puck a whole bunch, and PAP played with Tavares who likes to hold onto the puck and make plays himself.

Their chemistry on paper looks fine.

P.S. Tampa traded Downie because they were concerned about the salary he would demand, not because they didn't think highly of his game.

Old
07-11-2012, 03:17 AM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
I think you're making a huge deal out of nothing, and I don't know why you think Downie is a pure RW. He's a gritty right handed winger that has played LW before in the NHL. Players like him, Landeskog, Jones, and McGinn switch to their off wing much easier than pure skill players.

I also think you're way too concerned with putting Duchene with anyone but a sniper. He's a lot like Sakic in terms of production. He can be a playmaker, but he's a shooter as well. He's a 30-40 type in terms of goal/assist ratio. Sakic played great with shooters like Hejduk and Fleury, and he also played great with playmakers like Forsberg and Tanguay.

I'm restating myself again here, but Downie and PAP are both 20 goal scorers. Downie doesn't need to hold onto the puck a whole bunch, and PAP played with Tavares who likes to hold onto the puck and make plays himself.

Their chemistry on paper looks fine.

P.S. Tampa traded Downie because they were concerned about the salary he would demand, not because they didn't think highly of his game.
I didn't know that about Downie, where did you hear that? And he didn't seem to demand a serious salary like Winnik is doing.

Hes a exceptional 3rd line winger in my opinion, just the way I see it. I'd rather see more talent around Duchene to maximize his potential. I remember a comment Duchene made back somewhere near the start of 2010-11, He was asked about a goal drought he was going through (Not points) and he stated that he likes scoring goals but he can do both and sited how important that is.

I think his selfishness was more of a product of the surrounding talent then really who he is as a player. We can agree to disagree on this one I suppose.

Last edited by CobraAcesS: 07-11-2012 at 03:23 AM.
Old
07-11-2012, 03:28 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
I didn't know that about Downie, where did you hear that? And he didn't seem to demand a serious salary like Winnik is doing.

Hes a exceptional 3rd line winger in my opinion, just the way I see it. I'd rather see more talent around Duchene to maximize his potential. I remember a comment Duchene made back somewhere near the start of 2010-11, He was asked about a goal drought he was going through (Not points) and he stated that he likes scoring goals but he can do both and sited how important that is.

I think his selfishness was more of a product of the surrounding talent then really who he is as a player. We can agree to disagree on this one I suppose.
That was one of the theories TB's fans were mentioning as a reason why Downie got traded, but Downie's new contract sure makes it look like that wasn't the case.

Here a thread from TB's boards about Downie's new contract:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1219809

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:34 AM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
That was one of the theories TB's fans were mentioning as a reason why Downie got traded, but Downie's new contract sure makes it look like that wasn't the case.

Here is a question that goes along with that.. I wonder what the salary difference is with McGinn. Does management really believe hes less valuable than Downie?

I honestly thought with the way they played their salaries would be fairly similar even though McGinn is younger, because he did score 20 goals and looked to show strong potential for more.

I am not sure I would mind them taking a risk and seeing him locked up for 4 years. It will be interesting to see what comes out of that. Scary at the same time though..

McGinn has every bit of Stewart's skill with more speed and IMO a better wrist shot, maybe not as good of a slapper but his wrist shot is just as good if not better than Stewarts. I think it's probably fair to say he has a hell of a lot more heart as well with what hes been through. (The back injuries, set backs and recovery he went through.)

Old
07-11-2012, 03:43 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

This was McGinn's 1st season in which he showed good offensive potential, I don't think his hot streak is worth 2mil. I'd give him 1 year and around 1.8mil to prove himself over the course of full season, then if he has a good season lock him up for a longer period of time and if he fails to impress you give him a short term deal once again.

Old
07-11-2012, 03:54 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post

Right, but I think it's pretty easy to see that played a fairly big role in it. He was playing great, he filled a role they miss now, was good buddies with their franchise player, and had appeared to mature quite a bit.

The reason Yzerman gave the media was it was to acquire draft picks and get better in the future. He admitted trading him was one step backward in the short term.

Wanting a late 1st isn't that big of a reason though in and of itself to trade a guy like him, so you would have to assume money played a factor.

Either way he isn't very comparable to a player like Winnik, that was my main point.

Quote:
Here is a question that goes along with that.. I wonder what the salary difference is with McGinn. Does management really believe hes less valuable than Downie?

I honestly thought with the way they played their salaries would be fairly similar even though McGinn is younger, because he did score 20 goals and looked to show strong potential for more.

I am not sure I would mind them taking a risk and seeing him locked up for 4 years. It will be interesting to see what comes out of that. Scary at the same time though..

McGinn has every bit of Stewart's skill with more speed and IMO a better wrist shot, maybe not as good of a slapper but his wrist shot is just as good if not better than Stewarts. I think it's probably fair to say he has a hell of a lot more heart as well with what hes been through. (The back injuries, set backs and recovery he went through.)
McGinn is simply not in a position to ask for the same kind of money as Downie, who has proven a great deal more in the NHL with a couple of 40+ point seasons, and a strong playoff run of 14 points in 17 games. Plus he brings more intangibles to the table.

This was McGinn's breakout year. He hadn't done too much prior to this. McGinn can possibly ask for similar money as Downie in a couple years, or perhaps even more, but he needs another strong year under his belt.

Last edited by Foppa2118: 07-11-2012 at 04:09 AM.
Old
07-11-2012, 08:09 AM
DRL
Streak killers!

Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
All this debate about duchene being a playmaker or sniper, are there not question about how effective his shot is? I remember complaints last year saying he couldn't score from more than 15 ft away from the net.

DRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:00 AM
Razor29
The Ultimate Tank

vCash: 50
We don't re-sign Mueller because he is a constant question mark when it comes to health yet some of you want to actually trade for Morrow?

Well, okay.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:06 AM
tucker3434

If he wa a ufaand got a two year deal, I'd be fine with it. I wouldn't give up any assets for him.

tucker3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

From Stars board on Morrow:

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
He's got to go. Ribeiro and Ott were accessories to the crime. Morrow pulled the trigger. I think the distance from the season is making some of you more forgiving than he deserves.

Why would you even want Morrow on your 3rd line? He's slow, he loses puck battles, he takes offensive zone penalties, he doesn't kill penalties ... in other words everything a good 3rd liner isn't.

He has no known chemistry with anyone who is going to be playing in the bottom 6. A large chunk of his utility was always predicated on Ribeiro's presence. What made him a valuable part of the team was that he was a guy who could put the puck in the net and bring some grit to the top 6. That's out the window.

Great, he's not in pain now. It's been 3 months since he's played a hockey game. Let's wait til the first hit he takes. Let's wait til the first reversal he throws.

There's no time for nostalgia, we're moving forward. Morrow is not part of that.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...9&postcount=59

Old
07-11-2012, 10:28 AM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Screw him.

Plus, he's on the decline.

iAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:44 AM
GamingGiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Indeed.

GamingGiant is offline   Reply With Quote