HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2013 Canada World Junior team - anyone care to take a stab?

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2012, 12:51 PM
leafsfuture

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchen44 View Post
I wonder how the power play looks with both Murphy and Nuge on the team? RNH might be the best pp player in the world, Murphy is good to but I don't see them working well on the same line together unless Murphy is just there to shoot.
PP1:

Huberdeau -- Schiefele -- RNH
Murray -- Murphy

PP2:
Mackinnon -- Strome -- Hudon
Rielly -- Hamilton

How nasty would that be

Old
10-04-2012, 02:46 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Bob Mackenzie shared his guess at a roster if theres a lock out tonight on TSN, the video is online on tsn.

Huberdeau - RNH - Rattie

Hudon - Scheifele - Griffith

Monahan - Strome - Danault

Lessio - Jenner - Wilson

13th Mackinnon

Surprised he has Griffith on second line wing but dont necessarily disagree with him, might be the best goal scorer of the bunch after Rattie

Murray - Hamilton

Harrington - Ouellet

Murphy - Rielly

Sure about the first 5, and thinks Rielly will have the last spot but wasnt sure. Said its a toss up for the 7th dman

Subban starting.

I love that blue line, goaltending could be questionable however
Im surprised he would have Griffith over Puempel or Mackinnon as a scoring winger

Old
10-04-2012, 02:58 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Is it wrong to hope the season is locked out just to see these guys destroy this tourney?..

Old
10-04-2012, 03:05 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
Im surprised he would have Griffith over Puempel or Mackinnon as a scoring winger
3 of Bob's selections I would argue...most importantly Mackinnon as 13th forward. That's a fail right there. Mackinnon I would argue should be on Canada's # 1 RW...maybe on the 2nd line...but certainly not 13th forward.

Old
10-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Alberta tough

Biggest surprise for me was Bob said Matteau is in the mix.

Old
10-04-2012, 03:31 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
Ya me too... I think he's pretty committed to playing for the U.S. I haven't heard anything from anybody to suggest he was even considering Canada. I've never seen him play... how good is he?

Old
10-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
Really is only a surprise because he played for 2 years with the USNTDP but really it's not that shocking when you think about it. Born in the US, he was raised in Canada, grew up playing in Canada, and I believe his mother is French-Canadian as well. French seems like his first langauge as well.

What surprises me is, given that, why would he play for the US NTDP in the first place. He seems like Marcus or Nick Foligno to be honest.

Old
10-04-2012, 03:37 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Ya me too... I think he's pretty committed to playing for the U.S. I haven't heard anything from anybody to suggest he was even considering Canada. I've never seen him play... how good is he?
He would be good in that typical Canadian send one bulldog for the fourth line kind of role. I think he would still lose out on that spot to Wilson though

As for Mackinnon as the 13th, Candaa does this plenty with draft eligibles and forces them to play thei bags off for playing time

Old
10-04-2012, 04:09 PM
james30

Jenner is a lock for the 3rd line center after his performance at last year's Junior World Championships. He is the best two way center available. Important face off person. Strome or Scheifele will play wing!

Old
10-04-2012, 04:29 PM
KareemTrustfund
Beat it, Grandma.

vCash: 50
Any chance for Matthew Peca?

Old
10-04-2012, 04:32 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dover View Post
Any chance for Matthew Peca?
Mackenzie listed him as a potential 4th liner but didnt see him making the team in the end

Old
10-04-2012, 05:30 PM
EveryDay

Is Nathan Beaulieu available to play this year?

Old
10-04-2012, 06:20 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
He said he was going to play for the US after the draft, but maybe he's considering playing for Canada.
I think McKenzie is "in the know" enough to know if he's 100% committed to playing for the other side and wouldn't have mentioned him if he's totally committed.

Maybe the IIHF reversed their decision to allow him to play for the US.
Of course, they initially disallowed him because he didn't spend enough time in the country, but declared him eligible after he spent like two more months in the country after his season was over.
Makes perfect sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Really is only a surprise because he played for 2 years with the USNTDP but really it's not that shocking when you think about it. Born in the US, he was raised in Canada, grew up playing in Canada, and I believe his mother is French-Canadian as well. French seems like his first langauge as well.

What surprises me is, given that, why would he play for the US NTDP in the first place. He seems like Marcus or Nick Foligno to be honest.
Reminds me of Colin Wilson.
Grows up in Canada playing in Winnipeg for the majority of his life, yet he's allowed to play for the US because he was born while his dad was playing for the Rangers and he was all gung-ho about representing the US program and beating Canada.

Or, of course, Alex "I represent the US because I liked when my family went on vacation in Florida" Galchenyuk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco88 View Post
Is Nathan Beaulieu available to play this year?
No, he's a 92.

Last edited by jfb392: 10-04-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old
10-04-2012, 07:11 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Reminds me of Colin Wilson.
Grows up in Canada playing in Winnipeg for the majority of his life, yet he's allowed to play for the US because he was born while his dad was playing for the Rangers and he was all gung-ho about representing the US program and beating Canada.

Or, of course, Alex "I represent the US because I liked when my family went on vacation in Florida" Galchenyuk.
It's kind of amazing that USA hasn't produced a top ten pick at forward since 2007.

Old
10-04-2012, 07:17 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:

Matteau has spent more of his life in the US than Canada.

That said, I don't think he should be in the running for this Canadian team. He's only fairly competitive for a Team USA roster spot and this Canadian team will be stacked. They don't really need him and have other players that can bring the same truculence without the allegiance issues.

10-04-2012, 08:01 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post

That said, I don't think he should be in the running for this Canadian team. He's only fairly competitive for a Team USA roster spot and this Canadian team will be stacked. They don't really need him and have other players that can bring the same truculence without the allegiance issues.
I thought I had read that it was about half and half and that he spent most of his developmental years in Canada.

Old
10-04-2012, 09:16 PM
puckfan13

Thought there was a heavy OHL slant in Bob's picks, but maybe that's just where the talent was. But with his WHL selection on D in Rielly being the Leafs pick too, I found it very Eastern-centric. Could just be the distribution of talent though, we'll see how it shakes out.

Old
10-04-2012, 09:28 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post

I get my information from TSN and they've said that multiple times (During the draft, McGuire especially) so if it's not true than what can you do but I suspect he's spent significant time in Quebec because he definitely sounds like he has a French accent.

I would guess they went home in the offseason, or Matteau went back to live with his mother at some point while his father was playing because there's no way you get a french accent growing up in New York, San Jose and St Louis even if your parents are French.

Old
10-04-2012, 09:41 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
I get my information from TSN and they've said that multiple times (During the draft, McGuire especially) so if it's not true than what can you do but I suspect he's spent significant time in Quebec because he definitely sounds like he has a French accent.

I would guess they went home in the offseason, or Matteau went back to live with his mother at some point while his father was playing because there's no way you get a french accent growing up in New York, San Jose and St Louis even if your parents are French.
Well, whatever the case I don't doubt that he probably identifies more with being a French-Canadian than American but the fact remains that he has lived a considerable amount of time in the U.S., is eligible to play for the U.S., and was part of the USNTDP. He could suit up for Canada, but it would be poor form IMO. Something to watch as he's not a sure bet for the U.S. either.

Old
10-04-2012, 09:43 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

what happens if the lockout ends mid-December w/ the season starting in early January? Leaving aside Huberdeau/Scheifele/Strome/Hamilton - is it possible the roster ends up getting decimated b/c of 2012 picks getting invited to training camp (I'm thinking people like Wilson, Dumba, Reinhart, Reilly, etc.)?

what then?

I can't see the NHL really caring about staffing Team Canada's WJC roster.

Is this something we should be worried about? Are we at risk of sending our 2012 Hlinka roster out against the world?

Old
10-04-2012, 10:14 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Well, whatever the case I don't doubt that he probably identifies more with being a French-Canadian than American but the fact remains that he has lived a considerable amount of time in the U.S., is eligible to play for the U.S., and was part of the USNTDP. He could suit up for Canada, but it would be poor form IMO. Something to watch as he's not a sure bet for the U.S. either.
I'd be surprised if he doesn't make Team USA if he decides to go that route.

I don't really think it's poor form if he has spent significant time here, it just means he probably didn't think he'd ever make Team Canada and the US offered him a spot at their development team. It's the same thing for Nick Foligno, didn't think he could make Team Canada so he went to the development team.

And it's even worse for Foligno because Foligno has said publically he feels more Canadian than American and if Canada and the US are playing he's cheering for Canada.

Old
10-05-2012, 01:14 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:

I don't really think it's poor form if he has spent significant time here, it just means he probably didn't think he'd ever make Team Canada and the US offered him a spot at their development team. It's the same thing for Nick Foligno, didn't think he could make Team Canada so he went to the development team.

And it's even worse for Foligno because Foligno has said publically he feels more Canadian than American and if Canada and the US are playing he's cheering for Canada.
Then don't sign with the USNTDP. It's not a feeder program for other countries. This isn't Oleksiak or Lukas Sutter situation.

Old
10-05-2012, 03:13 AM
AlexanderTheGood

Jonathan Huberdeau - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Ty Rattie
Phillip Di Giuseppe - Ryan Strome - Nathan MacKinnon
Sean Monahan - Mark Scheifele - Phillip Danault
Charles Hudon - Boone Jenner - Tom Wilson
Brenden Gaunce/Lucas Lessio

Ryan Murray - Ryan Murphy
Scott Harrington - Dougie Hamilton
Xavier Ouellet - Cody Ceci
Morgan Reilly/Mathew Dumba

Malcolm Subban
Laurent Brossoit

Old
10-05-2012, 03:15 AM
puckfan13

Quote:

It's weird because Marcus Foligno turned down a guaranteed spot on Team USA just for the opportunity to try out for Canada when he had almost no shot but beat the odds.

I also doubt Marcus Foligno was ever recruited in the first place to play for UNTDP either looking at his bantam and midget stats they were quite ordinary. Shows you that a lot of hard work (and maybe a little of having NHL bloodlines/connections) can get you a long way.

Old
10-05-2012, 03:30 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
what happens if the lockout ends mid-December w/ the season starting in early January? Leaving aside Huberdeau/Scheifele/Strome/Hamilton - is it possible the roster ends up getting decimated b/c of 2012 picks getting invited to training camp (I'm thinking people like Wilson, Dumba, Reinhart, Reilly, etc.)?

what then?

I can't see the NHL really caring about staffing Team Canada's WJC roster.

Is this something we should be worried about? Are we at risk of sending our 2012 Hlinka roster out against the world?
Yes, I brought that up months ago and is a very likely scenario. You'll see a bunch of 94s 95s and 93s (U.S. College players) like P Di Giuseppe. I did a line up just to get an idea of what it would look like (can't seem to find it)...it would be a long shot to win any kind of a medal, but wouldn't get embarrassed. It could hold its own.

Closed Thread