HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2013 Canada World Junior team - anyone care to take a stab?

Closed Thread

Old
10-05-2012, 03:39 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by james30 View Post
Jenner is a lock for the 3rd line center after his performance at last year's Junior World Championships. He is the best two way center available. Important face off person. Strome or Scheifele will play wing!

Wrong. Jenner is a "lock" for the 4th line center. He is not a top 9 player at all. And this year, the wjc will be played on big ice in russia. Jenners skating is a big joke, and becuse of that he may even not make the team.

Old
10-05-2012, 04:13 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Wrong. Jenner is a "lock" for the 4th line center. He is not a top 9 player at all. And this year, the wjc will be played on big ice in russia. Jenners skating is a big joke, and becuse of that he may even not make the team.
I agree with you there... Although I have Jenner as the 4th line center, I'd prefer to not have either Jenner or Wilson on the team. but he's a returning player and a 93 born player, a good character guy (captain)... Hockey Canada puts a great deal of stock into that... but so far early in the season he is leading his league in scoring...so it would be difficult for HC to leave him off the team despite being challenged with his skating... As far as Wilson is concerned...I'd rater he just go away never to be heard from again. That guy has no business being anywhere near a national team unless he acquires citizenship to Burma.

Old
10-05-2012, 07:23 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
what happens if the lockout ends mid-December w/ the season starting in early January? Leaving aside Huberdeau/Scheifele/Strome/Hamilton - is it possible the roster ends up getting decimated b/c of 2012 picks getting invited to training camp (I'm thinking people like Wilson, Dumba, Reinhart, Reilly, etc.)?

what then?

I can't see the NHL really caring about staffing Team Canada's WJC roster.

Is this something we should be worried about? Are we at risk of sending our 2012 Hlinka roster out against the world?
Lets assume that if the NHL season were to start in mid-December conflicting with Junior camp. The NHL would hold a hurry up training camp in preparation of a January 1 opening day. Winter Classic) Which all fans should boycott BTW as payback to the league for this unnecessary nonsense... but let's assume that in a hurry up training camp fringe junior players will not be invited to camp, only the most obvious choices... so here's a line-up I anticipated.

P Di Giuseppe (93) M St. Croix (93) T Rattie (93) I like the WHL connection
S Harrington (93) X Ouellette (93)

H Shinkaruk (94) S Griffith (93) N Mackinnon (95) or replace Griffith w/ Danault
R Murphy (93) C Ceci (93)

L Lessio (93) B Jenner (93) S Monahan (94)
G Reinhart (94) M Reilly (94)

K Rychel (94) P Danault (93) Marc- Olivier Roy (94) or instead take Drouin instead of Rychel...
R Pulock (94) M Dumba (94)

Subban

I don't think Rattie is a sure thing to make the Blues, therefore I don't see him getting an invite to hurried up NHL training camp in this scenario.

I'd load up 3 lines offense and go guns blazing... Go out on my sword sort of thing....The D- actually looks fairly solid...and goaltending unchanged.

I think it wouldn't be a doomsday scenario...not the best, but...oh well.

We can debate of course players like Murphy playing in the NHL this year... I don't see it, so that's why I included him on the list... others may think differently.

I omitted C Hudon by error. I'd have him on the team for sure... So, there's some talent available.

Last edited by Mr Writer: 10-05-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old
10-05-2012, 10:31 AM
bsmith14

If the NHL resumes then this is how my Team Canada looks:

Puempel - MacKinnon - Rattie
Shinkaruk - St. Croix - Griffith
Lessio - Monahan - Danault
Di Giuseppe - Jenner - Hudon
McNeill

Reilly - Ceci
Harrington - Ouellet
Reinhart - Dumba
Koekkoek

Subban
Brossoit

Old
10-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Then don't sign with the USNTDP. It's not a feeder program for other countries. This isn't Oleksiak or Lukas Sutter situation.
Players want to play international hockey and if they can't play for their country of choice they'll accept a spot on another team if they're offered a spot. Brett Hull is the most notable example, though the situations were different in the 1980s. As I said, Nick Foligno is probably a better contemporary example. He's said he's Canadian despite being locked into USA Hockey.

I think up untill Matteau was ruled inelligible to play for the US (Because at that time he only had 1 1/2 years in the US) he had accepted this, but now he's getting a choice that he probably thought he would never get.

No it's not Oleksiak or Sutter, but it's not like Matteau is a completely US developed talent, he went to the US from a Canadian league and despite the fact he likely grow up for a little bit in the US, I can't find any records of him playing in the US (After looking last night). So yeah he probably should have thought a bit more and stayed in Canada instead of accepting the USNTDP roster spot but you can't blame him all too much.

I suspect Canada will invite him and if he doesn't make the team he'll join the US team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
It's weird because Marcus Foligno turned down a guaranteed spot on Team USA just for the opportunity to try out for Canada when he had almost no shot but beat the odds.

I also doubt Marcus Foligno was ever recruited in the first place to play for UNTDP either looking at his bantam and midget stats they were quite ordinary. Shows you that a lot of hard work (and maybe a little of having NHL bloodlines/connections) can get you a long way.
That just shows you how the Foligno's feel about their nationality. I remember the TSN piece on him, their mother who passed away really wanted her sons to play for Canada but Nick couldn't give up the USNTDP offer, and she didn't live to see Marcus play for Canada.

And yeah Marcus probably didn't but who know's he might have. Do we ever get the list of players who are offered a spot and said no? I've never heard of one. It probably has some interesting names on just from recent years (Perhaps guys like Myers, Kozun, Oleksiak, Galchenyuk ect).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
We can debate of course players like Murphy playing in the NHL this year... I don't see it, so that's why I included him on the list... others may think differently.
If it goes like you say it does (Training camp opens in December), Murphy will be gone, Carolina has already said he is coming up for training camp. NHL teams had to give their lists to CHL teams so they could prepare, and Murphy was among the players on that list.

Old
10-05-2012, 05:41 PM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Players want to play international hockey and if they can't play for their country of choice they'll accept a spot on another team if they're offered a spot. Brett Hull is the most notable example, though the situations were different in the 1980s. As I said, Nick Foligno is probably a better contemporary example. He's said he's Canadian despite being locked into USA Hockey.

I think up untill Matteau was ruled inelligible to play for the US (Because at that time he only had 1 1/2 years in the US) he had accepted this, but now he's getting a choice that he probably thought he would never get.

No it's not Oleksiak or Sutter, but it's not like Matteau is a completely US developed talent, he went to the US from a Canadian league and despite the fact he likely grow up for a little bit in the US, I can't find any records of him playing in the US (After looking last night). So yeah he probably should have thought a bit more and stayed in Canada instead of accepting the USNTDP roster spot but you can't blame him all too much.

I suspect Canada will invite him and if he doesn't make the team he'll join the US team.

That just shows you how the Foligno's feel about their nationality. I remember the TSN piece on him, their mother who passed away really wanted her sons to play for Canada but Nick couldn't give up the USNTDP offer, and she didn't live to see Marcus play for Canada.

And yeah Marcus probably didn't but who know's he might have. Do we ever get the list of players who are offered a spot and said no? I've never heard of one. It probably has some interesting names on just from recent years (Perhaps guys like Myers, Kozun, Oleksiak, Galchenyuk ect).

If it goes like you say it does (Training camp opens in December), Murphy will be gone, Carolina has already said he is coming up for training camp. NHL teams had to give their lists to CHL teams so they could prepare, and Murphy was among the players on that list.
You seem hell-bent on minimizing Matteau's ties to the U.S. I guess we'll see how it goes. I don't think he's a sure bet for the U.S. team much less Canada which will be deeper than normal given the lockout.

Old
10-05-2012, 06:10 PM
Jacob

Harrington should be captain and probably also a player/coach.

Old
10-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Harrington should be captain and probably also a player/coach.
Huberdeau would be my choice.

Old
10-05-2012, 09:57 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
You seem hell-bent on minimizing Matteau's ties to the U.S. I guess we'll see how it goes. I don't think he's a sure bet for the U.S. team much less Canada which will be deeper than normal given the lockout.
Hyperbole doesn't get you anywhere.

I'm going on whats out there, and what's out there doesn't make it look like Matteau has strong ties to the US. The only evidence going against that is a few people saying he spent a major amount of time in the US, yet I can't (Can you?) find any record of him playing for a non-Canadian team besides the time in the USNTDP?

It doesn't really matter that much anyway. You seem to think it does.

Old
10-06-2012, 03:57 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:

I know he's on the list, and they would be wise to reconsider... Murphy is so far away from being an NHL defensemen. He needs to spend the year in junior and then at least a year, maybe 2 in the AHL. They can figure that out within the first 5 minutes of the first on-ice training session whenever training camp opens.

Old
10-06-2012, 04:51 AM
Mr Writer

http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports/...on-moose-stars

Now the chief moron in charge, opps excuse me, I mean the chief scout insists the WJHC is a tournament for 20 year olds and not 19 year old players as was previously believed to be the case...

Pendergast...I'm dreaming of the day when you finally get fired from this job, you are clearly not fit..... it will be like liberation day.

Old
10-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Marvelous Manked
Director of Glitter

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dover View Post
Any chance for Matthew Peca?
What Matthew Peca is this?

Old
10-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
[/B]

I know he's on the list, and they would be wise to reconsider... Murphy is so far away from being an NHL defensemen. He needs to spend the year in junior and then at least a year, maybe 2 in the AHL. They can figure that out within the first 5 minutes of the first on-ice training session whenever training camp opens.
There's really no reason for this. He made the team last year and likely would have stayed if Faulk didn't make the team (Maurice refused to let 2 rookie defensemen play at the same time and Faulk got preference because he was older), there was a very good chance he was going to make it this year if the season started this year he would have made it.

I don't know what your views are based on, but they're not shared by anyone else around him (Kitchener coaching staff, Carolina management).

Old
10-06-2012, 11:06 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Should the lockout end and the NHL resumes, does anybody think Derrick Pouliot have a chance a making the team?

Old
10-06-2012, 11:15 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Should the lockout end and the NHL resumes, does anybody think Derrick Pouliot have a chance a making the team?
-No.

Old
10-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Four1 Lead
Virtanen at 8.

Morgan Rielly
Griffin Reinhart
Scott Harrington
Jamie Oleksiak
Ryan Murphy
Stuart Percy
Matthew Finn
Dougie Hamilton (NHL)
Ryan Murray (NHL)

Old
10-06-2012, 01:46 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
I don't really think it's poor form if he has spent significant time here, it just means he probably didn't think he'd ever make Team Canada and the US offered him a spot at their development team. It's the same thing for Nick Foligno, didn't think he could make Team Canada so he went to the development team.

And it's even worse for Foligno because Foligno has said publically he feels more Canadian than American and if Canada and the US are playing he's cheering for Canada.
Quote:
Then don't sign with the USNTDP. It's not a feeder program for other countries. This isn't Oleksiak or Lukas Sutter situation.
You can't fault Foligno for exploring his options and eventually choosing to play in the U.S.

And, you have to give the USNTDP credit. They seems to get a lot of the players who are sitting on the fence - no matter which country is the other choice. So, they must be doing something right.

Last edited by KevyD: 10-06-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old
10-06-2012, 01:54 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
Morgan Rielly
Griffin Reinhart
Scott Harrington
Jamie Oleksiak
Ryan Murphy
Stuart Percy
Matthew Finn
Dougie Hamilton (NHL)
Ryan Murray (NHL)
Right now, all-around.

Ouellet > Rielly, Reinhart, Oleksiak, Finn, Murphy

(arguable)Ouellet > Harrington

Ouellet < Hamilton, Murray

Old
10-06-2012, 02:03 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

These PP combinations are endless I love it... would also love to see RNH work the pp with hub and maybe monahan/mackinnon as trigger man. Wilson should not make this squad either way, neither should Gaunce.. Jenner will make it and should be with lessio on a line, they seem to be meshing pretty good so far. Would also like to see St. Croix and Hudon make the team, Hudon especially after the great tournament which shouldnt be forgotten about just because some other big names have come up.

Old
10-06-2012, 02:09 PM
ZombieRegDunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
Morgan Rielly
Griffin Reinhart
Scott Harrington
Jamie Oleksiak
Ryan Murphy
Stuart Percy
Matthew Finn
Dougie Hamilton (NHL)
Ryan Murray (NHL)

Oleksiak is a late 92 birthday. He's too old.

You must be a Leafs fan. They won't have 3 D prospects make that team. Matt Finn over Matt Dumba? Cody Ceci? Even if Hamilton and Murray aren't in the NHL, Matt Finn won't make this team. Percy is even in tough.

Old
10-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Puritania

vCash: 1206
Quote:

Now the chief moron in charge, opps excuse me, I mean the chief scout insists the WJHC is a tournament for 20 year olds and not 19 year old players as was previously believed to be the case...

Pendergast...I'm dreaming of the day when you finally get fired from this job, you are clearly not fit..... it will be like liberation day.
The day Prendergast was flushed from the Oilers was a gigantic step in healing a broken frachise. I'm absolutely floored that he has a job with Hockey Canada. The sooner he gets turfed the better.

Old
10-06-2012, 02:27 PM
JackSlater

Quote:

At least Pendergast can't mess things up if there's still a lockout. I also don't see how MacKinnon couldn't help in a 13th forward role. Evander Kane was good in that role, so was Tavares as a 16 year old, and I think it's pretty clear that Seguin and Nugent-Hopkins would have been benficial in that role.

Old
10-07-2012, 04:51 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
At least Pendergast can't mess things up if there's still a lockout. I also don't see how MacKinnon couldn't help in a 13th forward role. Evander Kane was good in that role, so was Tavares as a 16 year old, and I think it's pretty clear that Seguin and Nugent-Hopkins would have been benficial in that role.
If there's one person who can screw things up even with a lockout.... it is our friend and pal, Pendergast... I'm with the previous poster...how this guy manages to eek out a living on hockey boggles my imagination. The Oilers almost 3 since they turfed him are only now starting to recover. Hired by HC in 2010 just in time for the 2010 WJHC and wadda ya know...when is the last time we won the gold medal? 2009. Coincidence? I think not... while are chances improve with a lockout... I will have no faith in any team when he's responsible for dishing out the invites and involved in the evaluation process.

Old
10-07-2012, 08:02 AM
JackSlater

Quote:
If there's one person who can screw things up even with a lockout.... it is our friend and pal, Pendergast... I'm with the previous poster...how this guy manages to eek out a living on hockey boggles my imagination. The Oilers almost 3 since they turfed him are only now starting to recover. Hired by HC in 2010 just in time for the 2010 WJHC and wadda ya know...when is the last time we won the gold medal? 2009. Coincidence? I think not... while are chances improve with a lockout... I will have no faith in any team when he's responsible for dishing out the invites and involved in the evaluation process.
...you are scaring me. Does anyone familiar with Spott have an idea of what he'll want in his players?

Old
10-07-2012, 08:24 AM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
...you are scaring me. Does anyone familiar with Spott have an idea of what he'll want in his players?
Guys that work hard, that play atleast a decent two way game and bring a lot of skill. Pretty typical of any coach.

Don't be surprised if Murphy makes the team. He's the only guy that Spott let's off the leash.

Closed Thread