HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2013 Canada World Junior team - anyone care to take a stab?

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2012, 07:44 AM
Macman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
The level of play, intensity, urgency and experience in the WJC is not a downgrade from the everyday AHL.

If Hockey Canada doesn't take him, or the Oilers don't make him available, they need their heads examined.

Old
10-30-2012, 08:01 AM
416Leafer

The Canadian blueline is gonna be awesome. I really hope Rielly can make it in a top 4 position, but there are obviously some great options for the coaches to choose from.

Old
10-30-2012, 08:01 AM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
I just don't see a spot for him, no matter what happens in camp, unless there are injuries, there are going to be some good players cut from the defense.

Murray-Murphy
Ouellet-Hamilton
Harrington-Reinhart
Rielly-Dumba
Ceci-Koekkoek
Pouliot

Who do you cut from that group?
Well that was easy.

Old
10-30-2012, 02:32 PM
Wilsonian
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
Does Ryan Culkin have a chance at an invite?
Not a chance

Old
10-30-2012, 02:34 PM
Jamin

I bet RNH doesnt play in this tournament contrary to popular belief in this thread. I have nothing to back it up just what I think will happen

Old
10-30-2012, 02:35 PM
Wilsonian
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
I bet RNH doesnt play in this tournament contrary to popular belief in this thread. I have nothing to back it up just what I think will happen
I agree. A shame, but im going with ya. Whatever, we'll let Nathan Lead the tournament in scoring instead.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:55 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Corrado has 16 points on a team where the next highest scoring defenseman has 3 points and there's only 1 forward at PPG (tied with Corrado). He's also more of a shutdown guy than an offensive guy (hell, that's why he was nominated for the OHL award last season despite mediocre offensive numbers). He's also a captain. (One team has scored 43 goals, the other 66 who do you think had it tougher to pick up those points?)

Seen both play 2 games this year, thought Corrado played better... small sample size obviously, could've caught Corrado's best games and Ouellet's worst. The fact is, the margin between the two this season is minimal.
Corrado is off to a hot start, difference is is that Ouellet's start has been a bit hotter and unlike Corrado hes proven he can do it over a sample size bigger than 15 games. I also dont buy the entire teammate argument. Ouellets team has scored 66 goals, but when youre by far the leading scoring dman and out there 30 mins a game for the higher scoring team, chances are its cause youre helping create more.

I find being second in scoring on a top 5 team in the country while being the best dman in your league more impressive then solid numbers on a mediocre team. Not to mention the fact that Ouellet proved last year he could do it consistently and that he was capable of shutting down Yakupov in the summer series.

Old
10-30-2012, 07:27 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Corrado is off to a hot start, difference is is that Ouellet's start has been a bit hotter and unlike Corrado hes proven he can do it over a sample size bigger than 15 games. I also dont buy the entire teammate argument. Ouellets team has scored 66 goals, but when youre by far the leading scoring dman and out there 30 mins a game for the higher scoring team, chances are its cause youre helping create more.

I find being second in scoring on a top 5 team in the country while being the best dman in your league more impressive then solid numbers on a mediocre team. Not to mention the fact that Ouellet proved last year he could do it consistently and that he was capable of shutting down Yakupov in the summer series.
Blainville-Boisbriand isn't a mediocre team, but I totally agree with your point

Old
10-30-2012, 10:19 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
Blainville-Boisbriand isn't a mediocre team, but I totally agree with your point
Pretty sure he meant that Oullette being a huge part of a great team is better than putting good numbers on a mediocre team like Corrado is doing, actually thats pretty much exactly what he said.

Old
10-30-2012, 10:42 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Rielly and Hamilton will be the two best defencemen on this version of team Canada.

Old
10-30-2012, 10:45 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
The post below already has it covered but ya I meant Corrado being on a pretty bad team means hes giong to eat up PP minutes out of necessity.

Ouellet eats up those minutes and helps make his team a top 5 one in the country. Last year they were supposed to be one of the worst in the league and had a decent playoff run, which most people say was mostly on Ouellet captaining them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheramone View Post
Pretty sure he meant that Oullette being a huge part of a great team is better than putting good numbers on a mediocre team like Corrado is doing, actually thats pretty much exactly what he said.

Old
10-30-2012, 11:31 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Anyone think that Tyler Graovac might have a shot at the team if he keeps up his play?

Old
11-01-2012, 10:56 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Anyone think that Tyler Graovac might have a shot at the team if he keeps up his play?
There are too many more proven goal scorers like Rattie, Griffith and Rychel (10 goals his last 13 games, 41 last year, I think he's back into contention for a spot for sure) who he would have to beat out for a top six spot on the wing. If he's keeping up close to a goal per game in December they'll give him a look I'm sure but I doubt it's gonna happen for him. Hell of a start of the season though.

Old
11-01-2012, 11:04 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

I wasn't in favour of RNH going to the WJHC's over the AHL. I'm starting to change my tune though. He's much more likely to stay healthy if he plays at the WJHC, I'm a little concerned with the liberties AHL players are taking on our young stars right now. It's not like the WJHC aren't competitive either. It definitely wouldn't hurt RNH, and it would hugely help Team Canada, which is always great.

Really looking forward to the WJHC. It's crazy how fast it's coming up, I guess that happens when there's no NHL hockey.

Old
11-01-2012, 11:58 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM View Post
I wasn't in favour of RNH going to the WJHC's over the AHL. I'm starting to change my tune though. He's much more likely to stay healthy if he plays at the WJHC, I'm a little concerned with the liberties AHL players are taking on our young stars right now. It's not like the WJHC aren't competitive either. It definitely wouldn't hurt RNH, and it would hugely help Team Canada, which is always great.

Really looking forward to the WJHC. It's crazy how fast it's coming up, I guess that happens when there's no NHL hockey.
It feels like forever !

Old
11-02-2012, 02:13 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
It would be a slap in the face for Hockey Canada if he didnt go. If the lockout is still on he will be going. The AHL itself is a step below his pay grade so him going to the WJC instead of toiling in the AHL in front of 1500 fans in OKC for a few weekend games shouldnt be a big deal.
I understand the reasons for sure and the relative importance of the games, but I don't know, would it really be a "slap in the face?" Prendergast makes it sound like he isn't exactly expecting him there in interviews. I still stand by my assertion he doesn't really have much to gain at all playing in the tournament vs. AHL play against AHL/NHL defenders, it's such a step down from his capabilities it must almost seem boring. Of course it would be nice for us to see as Canadian hockey fans, etc. It's not that it's a big deal to miss OKC games at Christmas, of course it isn't a big deal, but if RNH doesn't really have a burning desire to go himself than why force him.

Old
11-02-2012, 04:07 AM
Parise9Crosby87

if canada does get rhn they should win for sure

Old
11-02-2012, 04:25 AM
clarkebr

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
I understand the reasons for sure and the relative importance of the games, but I don't know, would it really be a "slap in the face?" Prendergast makes it sound like he isn't exactly expecting him there in interviews. I still stand by my assertion he doesn't really have much to gain at all playing in the tournament vs. AHL play against AHL/NHL defenders, it's such a step down from his capabilities it must almost seem boring. Of course it would be nice for us to see as Canadian hockey fans, etc. It's not that it's a big deal to miss OKC games at Christmas, of course it isn't a big deal, but if RNH doesn't really have a burning desire to go himself than why force him.
this whole thing kinds of bugs me, but if RHN doesn't want to be there, then that is his choice. It reminds me of connolly and how he didn't seem to fit in last year.
I still say that it is his loss and HC SHOULD do its best to encourage him to play.
By far the best thing he could do for himself and our persuit of gold.

Old
11-02-2012, 04:44 AM
Mr Writer

Hmmm! I wonder if the Russians are having the same discussion re: Yakupov? I mean he's dominating in a league that some would argue (not me ) but some would argue is better than the AHL, doing much better from a statistical perspective than RNH, yet I don't read or hear Russians bellyaching oh, the World Juniors will be a step down in competition for him, how can it help him become a better player....and all the other BLAH BLAH BS excuses from Canadians playing armchair GM.

RNH is 19 years old, a junior age player, and if not busy in the NHL he goes to play for his country, end of story!!! and if RNH doesn't stand up and say, hell ya I want a shot at a gold for Canada, then I'll be awfully disappointed...
Enough with the micromanaging, he should play! No ifs and ors or buts about it.

Old
11-02-2012, 04:47 AM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Hmmm! I wonder if the Russians are having the same discussion re: Yakupov? I mean he's dominating in a league that some would argue (not me ) but some would argue is better than the AHL, doing much better from a statistical perspective than RNH, yet I don't read or hear Russians bellyaching oh, the World Juniors will be a step down in competition for him, how can it help him become a better player....and all the other BLAH BLAH BS excuses from Canadians playing armchair GM.

RNH is 19 years old, a junior age player, and if not busy in the NHL he goes to play for his country, end of story!!! and if RNH doesn't stand up and say, hell ya I want a shot at a gold for Canada, then I'll be awfully disappointed...
Isn't it Oilers fans rather than the average Canadian fan that wants him to be in the AHL, for development purposes?

And I can guarantee you that nobody except maybe people involved with Yakupov's club want him to skip the WJC, and if someone suggested it with a home tournament, they'd be laughed at.

Old
11-02-2012, 04:54 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Hmmm! I wonder if the Russians are having the same discussion re: Yakupov? I mean he's dominating in a league that some would argue (not me ) but some would argue is better than the AHL,
LOL

agree on the rest though

Old
11-02-2012, 05:12 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
Isn't it Oilers fans rather than the average Canadian fan that wants him to be in the AHL, for development purposes?

And I can guarantee you that nobody except maybe people involved with Yakupov's club want him to skip the WJC, and if someone suggested it with a home tournament, they'd be laughed at.
You are correct, it's mostly, if not all, coming from Edmonton fans. I apologize to any of my fellow Canadians who took offense.

Old
11-02-2012, 07:47 AM
Macman

Quote:

Hell, I'll take it a step further. Hockey Canada should have an agreement with the NHL, like they do with the CHL, that ALL junior-age players are made available for the world juniors. The KHL and other pro leagues have no problem making their players available. The NHL should be onside too.

Old
11-02-2012, 08:05 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
Hell, I'll take it a step further. Hockey Canada should have an agreement with the NHL, like they do with the CHL, that ALL junior-age players are made available for the world juniors. The KHL and other pro leagues have no problem making their players available. The NHL should be onside too.

I don't disagree with you! but, say a player that's in the class of Crosby, does he get released at 18 and 19 to play? Not that it would occur too often, a player of Sid's caliber is not a yearly thing... but I definitely feel NHL teams should be a little more accommodating to all players from all countries, that it should be a 95% automatic decision. What bothers me more than the RNH situation last year is the situation with players such as Seguin who should have been released his rookie year. He was playing limited minutes, sitting out out games... Why PC didn't release him is beyond me...but all I can say is, hopefully we'll see 3 years of McDavid starting next year.

Old
11-02-2012, 09:13 AM
espo*

****in right.

I don't give a hoot either what armchair G.Ms around here think, if he's available he should play.

The main focus should be on doing whatever is necessary to beat our dastardly and sickening opponents.Like you said, Russia doesn't care if Yakupov is tearing up the KHL, they just want to be able to beat teams like Canada, a task which becomes almost impossible for them if they don't take every best available player they have.

Quote:

Closed Thread