HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2013 Canada World Junior team - anyone care to take a stab?

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Macman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
I don't disagree with you! but, say a player that's in the class of Crosby, does he get released at 18 and 19 to play? Not that it would occur too often, a player of Sid's caliber is not a yearly thing... but I definitely feel NHL teams should be a little more accommodating to all players from all countries, that it should be a 95% automatic decision. What bothers me more than the RNH situation last year is the situation with players such as Seguin who should have been released his rookie year. He was playing limited minutes, sitting out out games... Why PC didn't release him is beyond me...but all I can say is, hopefully we'll see 3 years of McDavid starting next year.
I think anybody of junior age should be released, no matter how good. I doubt the Russians worried that Ovie or Malkin would be too good for the WJCs. It's only three weeks of the season and as you pointed out guys like RNH and Seguin weren't critical to their team's success at that age anyway. European clubs team in hockey and soccer have no problem releasing their players for tournaments. I don't know why North American teams don't want to get onside with this. It might also help grow the world juniors in other countries. (Plus it would help Canada win more often.)

Old
11-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by espo View Post
****in right.

I don't give a hoot either what armchair G.Ms around here think, if he's available he should play.

The main focus should be on doing whatever is necessary to beat our dastardly and sickening opponents.Like you said, Russia doesn't care if Yakupov is tearing up the KHL, they just want to be able to beat teams like Canada, a task which becomes almost impossible for them if they don't take every best available player they have.
please... you guys are overrating Yakupov and hugely underrating the rest of the players on the team. Last I checked Yakupov didn't dominate in the August Super Series and Russia did just fine against a pretty stacked Canadian team, without quiet a few of the best players (same as for Canada).

This whole RNH "to go/not to go" discussion is rather normal for Canadian hockey fans, same as for player for WC (which is, in fact, a bigger and more important tournament than WJC).

Playing for a club is just for 1 city. Playing for the country is for the whole country... How can it even be compared? I don't get that mentality. So he'll win some games in AHL, or even NHL- but if he wins Gold at the World (Junior) Championship, isn't that A MUCH bigger deal than some regular season games?

Last edited by Fulcrum: 11-02-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old
11-02-2012, 10:30 AM
LeafDangler

So you guys would expect that if the NHL was on this year the Oilers would be expected to release 2 guys from their top 6 for a month? In a year where they should be making a run at the 8th seed? That's absurd IMO. I would be outraged as a season ticket holder. The AHL is one thing but the WJC is kids stuff compared to the NHL. Put down the TSN Koolaid

Old
11-02-2012, 10:39 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafDangler View Post
So you guys would expect that if the NHL was on this year the Oilers would be expected to release 2 guys from their top 6 for a month? In a year where they should be making a run at the 8th seed? That's absurd IMO. I would be outraged as a season ticket holder. The AHL is one thing but the WJC is kids stuff compared to the NHL. Put down the TSN Koolaid
Ye you and some fans from Edmonton, while the rest of the country would be outraged that some NHL team is too damn greedy to realease a National team player to win some Reg season games. You ARE the minority and it's kind of selfish.

Old
11-02-2012, 10:49 AM
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafDangler View Post
I don't think it's any more absurd just because it's the NHL. Are CHL, KHL, Swedish elite league fans, etc., outraged when it happens to their teams every year? I doubt it. It's the norm and they accept it.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:03 AM
bruinsfan46

Just how much better is RNH than a 19 year old Evgeni Malkin who played seven years ago? He'd be missing AHL games, it borders on ridiculous that this is even a discussion. There's a lockout he should play.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:04 AM
Hynh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
Hell, I'll take it a step further. Hockey Canada should have an agreement with the NHL, like they do with the CHL, that ALL junior-age players are made available for the world juniors. The KHL and other pro leagues have no problem making their players available. The NHL should be onside too.
Is it the NHL or the players themselves that really make that call? I think a large group would rather play in the NHL. If you make the NHL as a teenager you are already a star and playing in the WJC would kill your bonuses which make up a large amount of your pay.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:11 AM
bsmith14

If there is a lockout RNH will be there and he will be one of the better players to ever play in the tournament but not the best. Oklahoma has plenty of weapons to part with him for a few weeks. If he is with the Oilers he will not be released. You don't release your number one center when your in the business of winning hockey games. Should Pittsburgh been forced to release Crosby at 18 and 19 years old?

Last edited by bsmith14: 11-02-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old
11-02-2012, 11:55 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

McDavid should get an invite just for the whole experience thing. Ekblad too.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:22 PM
leafsfuture

I think people are way oversimplifying the whole NHL releasing players thing.

1. It matters where the WJC is. Why would an NHL team release a 19 year old NHLer to play in empty Russian arenas on big ice for a month? Big difference between releasing a guy to play in Ufa as opposed to Edmonton

2. The NHL is a business and the players are the source of cash. Why would you release a player that helps your team win and make $?? Most teenagers in the NHL are generally vital to their team.

3. If the 19 year old NHLer would rather play for his club team an earn cash rather than leave for a month why would his team say no, unless there is a roster issue? Its been said Seguin didnt want to go to the WJC 2 years ago and that if he had wanted to Boston MAY have considered it. If his hearts not in it why should he go?

Old
11-02-2012, 12:24 PM
bsmith14

Just for fun who wants to predict the 2014 Team Canada. Obviously we don't even know who will make 2013, but its friday and I'm slacking hard at work.
This is assuming MacKinnon, Monahan, Reilly, and Reinhart are playing in the NHL.

Forwards:

Jonathon Drouin - 95
Sam Reinhart - 95
William Carrier - 94
Hunter Shinkaruk - 94
Max Domi - 95
Anthony Mantha -94
Kerby Rychel - 94
Curtis Lazar - 95
Charles Hudon - 94
Bo Horvat - 95
Brendan Gaunce - 94
Fredrik Gauthier - 94
Connor McDavid - 97

Defence:

Matthew Dumba - 94
Josh Morrissey - 95
Ryan Pulock - 94
Adam Pelech - 94
Derrick Pouliot - 94
Aaron Ekblad - 96
Slater Koekkoek - 94

Goalies:
Malcolm Subban - 94
Zach Fucale - 95

Old
11-02-2012, 12:27 PM
RJQuack

6 players from the Q... Ha, good luck

Old
11-02-2012, 12:29 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
6 players from the Q... Ha, good luck
the 2013 class from the Q is one of the strongest in years so I wouldnt be surprised to see that many.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:34 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
the 2013 class from the Q is one of the strongest in years so I wouldnt be surprised to see that many.
I believe they can all make it, and Hudon and Drouin are locks for '14... It just hasn't been very friendly to Q in the past... This is certainly the most exceptional draft class the Q had had in many years.

You didn't mention him, but Duclair has an outside chance.... But way too far away lol.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:44 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
I believe they can all make it, and Hudon and Drouin are locks for '14... It just hasn't been very friendly to Q in the past... This is certainly the most exceptional draft class the Q had had in many years.

You didn't mention him, but Duclair has an outside chance.... But way too far away lol.
Its always tough to predict, some players will plateau, others will surprise. Thats the fun of it!

Old
11-02-2012, 01:00 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Duclair will make it in 2014.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:05 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
I think people are way oversimplifying the whole NHL releasing players thing.

1. It matters where the WJC is. Why would an NHL team release a 19 year old NHLer to play in empty Russian arenas on big ice for a month? Big difference between releasing a guy to play in Ufa as opposed to Edmonton

2. The NHL is a business and the players are the source of cash. Why would you release a player that helps your team win and make $?? Most teenagers in the NHL are generally vital to their team.

3. If the 19 year old NHLer would rather play for his club team an earn cash rather than leave for a month why would his team say no, unless there is a roster issue? Its been said Seguin didnt want to go to the WJC 2 years ago and that if he had wanted to Boston MAY have considered it. If his hearts not in it why should he go?
1. Empty arenas? What?

2. It's the culture. Business over international/national matters/pride. Like you said, cash is more important than proving to be the best in the world.

3. More of #2. Heart's not in it? culture of cash cash cash

I would understand wanting to play in NHL for experience, but they have their whole careers to do that, and only 1-2 opportunities in life to play in WJC.

Old
11-02-2012, 02:49 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
Ye you and some fans from Edmonton, while the rest of the country would be outraged that some NHL team is too damn greedy to realease a National team player to win some Reg season games. You ARE the minority and it's kind of selfish.
Actually since no NHL teams actually do this with established players its probably the majority. A teenager who is a bubble player with 13 minutes of ice time being released is different then releasing the teams first line center for 2 weeks in the NHL

Its like the one poster said, the penguins didnt release Crosby just because he was eligible because he was a huge part of the team

Last edited by Jamin: 11-02-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old
11-02-2012, 02:53 PM
Jamin

I cant help but notice fulcrum has a russian flag and if there is one thing HF has taught me its europeans value international tournaments about 200% more then their north american counter parts.

The Olympics matter and thats about it. TSN has been spending alot of money and time over the years trying to turn the WJC into something meaningful and it is starting to work but not enough that oiler season ticket holders spending 10 thousand a year would let the team release one of its MAIN draws and main weapons to win.

Old
11-02-2012, 03:03 PM
Larry Hoover

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
Just for fun who wants to predict the 2014 Team Canada. Obviously we don't even know who will make 2013, but its friday and I'm slacking hard at work.
This is assuming MacKinnon, Monahan, Reilly, and Reinhart are playing in the NHL.

Forwards:

Jonathon Drouin - 95
Sam Reinhart - 95
William Carrier - 94
Hunter Shinkaruk - 94
Max Domi - 95
Anthony Mantha -94
Kerby Rychel - 94
Curtis Lazar - 95
Charles Hudon - 94
Bo Horvat - 95
Brendan Gaunce - 94
Fredrik Gauthier - 94
Connor McDavid - 97

Defence:

Matthew Dumba - 94
Josh Morrissey - 95
Ryan Pulock - 94
Adam Pelech - 94
Derrick Pouliot - 94
Aaron Ekblad - 96
Slater Koekkoek - 94

Goalies:
Malcolm Subban - 94
Zach Fucale - 95
Malcom is a 93

Old
11-02-2012, 03:09 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hoover View Post
Malcom is a 93
ah I didnt realize. I would assume Fucale would be the guy, but any number of goalies could come into the mix. Tristan Jarry has been playing really well for the Oil Kings, he could get a look.

Old
11-02-2012, 03:34 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Do the OilKings still has Brassoit ?

Old
11-02-2012, 03:43 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Yes. He is a 93. He hasn't been playing that well lately, he seems to have done a 180 since the WHL playoffs where he looked like a #1 Goalie of the future. I am sure he can regain his confidence, but as of right now the Oil Kings have started playing Jarry more.

Old
11-02-2012, 07:24 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
Hell, I'll take it a step further. Hockey Canada should have an agreement with the NHL, like they do with the CHL, that ALL junior-age players are made available for the world juniors. The KHL and other pro leagues have no problem making their players available. The NHL should be onside too.
I don't like it, for a few reasons. It just doesn't make sense for an NHL team paying a kid upwards of one million dollars to release him for what is really only a junior hockey tournament. The decision making for junior clubs, both economically and developmentally, is clearly different.

The other reason I would be against it is that it would make the tournament far more unbalanced. Canada just finished a streak of 10 finals appearances, and if everyone was released things would just be even more lopsided.

Old
11-02-2012, 08:56 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post

And Brossoit is spelt wrong

Closed Thread