HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2013 Canada World Junior team - anyone care to take a stab?

Closed Thread

Old
11-20-2012, 06:45 AM
Mr Writer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
And conversely, Russia has won on small ice. It's about picking the right players, not the dimensions of the rink.
It will be a great tourny if all teams have access to all their top talent. I like Canada's chances if the lockout is still raging. Although, I think you are about to see those morons come to their senses by Wednesday or Thursday.

Old
11-20-2012, 06:47 AM
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
It will be a great tourny if all teams have access to all their top talent. I like Canada's chances if the lockout is still raging. Although, I think you are about to see those morons come to their senses by Wednesday or Thursday.
I have a feeling you're right. I hopes it lasts until January.

Old
11-20-2012, 07:10 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Big ice? A non-issue.
I think that's wrong. It obviously is an issue. The way the game is played effectively on the larger sheet, and players doing it for the majority of their lives obviously have an advantage. Especially for goalies, adjusting the angles takes some time that you don't have over a short tournament.

That said, while it undoubtedly is an issue, is it an issue that's big enough to question Canada's status as a top-favourite, especially due to the lockout? Certainly not.

Old
11-20-2012, 07:24 AM
Hanji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
I think that's wrong. It obviously is an issue. The way the game is played effectively on the larger sheet, and players doing it for the majority of their lives obviously have an advantage. Especially for goalies, adjusting the angles takes some time that you don't have over a short tournament.

That said, while it undoubtedly is an issue, is it an issue that's big enough to question Canada's status as a top-favourite, especially due to the lockout? Certainly not.
Well said. It's undoubtedly is an issue but Canada has enough depth junior level to compensate.

Old
11-20-2012, 07:46 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
exactly... it's a myth that Canada doesn't play well on big ice; over the past 20 years 10 WJHC played in Europe, only 3 times has Canada failed to play in the gold medal game. So that's 7 gold medal games played, 5 wins 2 losses. 2 bronze medals and only 1 time Canada failed to medal on European ice. I don't think any European team can match those results on European ice.
Age limited competitions are always going to favor the bigger player pool and Canada's is far and away the biggest. It's a bit more impressive whenever a European gate crashes the party than anything.

Old
11-20-2012, 08:23 AM
Macman

Quote:

With all due respect, you're message is mixed. First it's an issue, then it's not an issue because of Canada's depth, especially during a lockout. It can't be both. As Mr. Writer pointed out, Canada has the best record of any country on big ice at the world juniors over the last 20 years. On top of that, Canada has won five of six games on big ice against Russia in the two junior summit series. If it's as much of an issue as some would like to believe, those numbers would be a lot different. As long as your picking the right players (guys who can skate), it's not an issue at all.

Old
11-20-2012, 08:51 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
With all due respect, you're message is mixed. First it's an issue, then it's not an issue because of Canada's depth, especially during a lockout. It can't be both.
It certainly can, and nothing's mixed about it, really. It is an issue. Period. It just seems highly unlikely that it's going to be an issue big enough to offset the advantage in pure talent level.

Quote:
As long as your picking the right players (guys who can skate), it's not an issue at all.
Of course, it is. It isn't just about skating. It's about a ton of details in the game, with far less boardwork, huge differences in one-on-one plays for defensemen as well as forwards, angles for the goalies, and on and on and on. Those are issues. I'm not saying they are as big as some would like for them to be to make the competition less predictable, but to say they aren't there to some degree is simply not paying respect to the reality of the game as it's played. Obviously, Canada basically always has the best talent level, and so they are entirely capable of simply overcoming these undoubtedly existing issues (as they've done in the past leading to their given record), and I certainly expect them to overcome these issues this time around, as well. But to say they don't exist, well, that's just not paying respect to what's happening on the ice.

Old
11-20-2012, 09:00 AM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

vCash: 50
Murray - Hamilton
Rielly - Dumba
Reinhart - Ceci
Murphy

Is a pretty loaded back end

Old
11-20-2012, 09:27 AM
markrander87

Has there ever been a riser like Drouin before? He's on almost every roster. 2-3 months ago people would have been laughed at for even mentioning him.

Also not sure if the schedule has been posted yet...http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/feature/?id=62670

Last edited by markrander87: 11-20-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old
11-20-2012, 09:40 AM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
Murray - Hamilton
Rielly - Dumba
Reinhart - Ceci
Murphy

Is a pretty loaded back end
And you still have Ouellet.

Old
11-20-2012, 09:59 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
And you still have Ouellet.
And Harrington

Old
11-20-2012, 10:20 AM
Macman

Quote:
It certainly can, and nothing's mixed about it, really. It is an issue. Period. It just seems highly unlikely that it's going to be an issue big enough to offset the advantage in pure talent level.

Of course, it is. It isn't just about skating. It's about a ton of details in the game, with far less boardwork, huge differences in one-on-one plays for defensemen as well as forwards, angles for the goalies, and on and on and on. Those are issues. I'm not saying they are as big as some would like for them to be to make the competition less predictable, but to say they aren't there to some degree is simply not paying respect to the reality of the game as it's played. Obviously, Canada basically always has the best talent level, and so they are entirely capable of simply overcoming these undoubtedly existing issues (as they've done in the past leading to their given record), and I certainly expect them to overcome these issues this time around, as well. But to say they don't exist, well, that's just not paying respect to what's happening on the ice.
Nobody's arguing that adjustments don't need to be made on big ice vs. small, but there is always the implication by many Europeans here that Canada doesn't play well on big ice and that its international success has been built almost exclusively on North American ice. It's a myth based on wishful thinking not history. When I say big ice is a non-issue, it's because Canada (and Russia) can win anywhere, not because tactics and player selection don't change.

If Canada takes a banger like Wilson to Ufa instead of a skilled guy like Drouin, its chance of winning will be diminished IMO.

Old
11-20-2012, 10:40 AM
clarkebr

Quote:
Nobody's arguing that adjustments don't need to be made on big ice vs. small, but there is always the implication by many Europeans here that Canada doesn't play well on big ice and that its international success has been built almost exclusively on North American ice. It's a myth based on wishful thinking not history. When I say big ice is a non-issue, it's because Canada (and Russia) can win anywhere, not because tactics and player selection don't change.

If Canada takes a banger like Wilson to Ufa instead of a skilled guy like Drouin, its chance of winning will be diminished IMO.
What canada needs to have happen is a power play that works. Having Drouin on the PP will provide an offensive weapon. Never mind the underage factor.
If it comes down to Wilson or Drouin for the 13th forward, Drouin should get the nod.

Old
11-20-2012, 05:52 PM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

Looks like Murray is a no go. Likely need surgery on his shoulder....Bummer

Old
11-20-2012, 06:34 PM
wings5

Percy in for Murray imo. Very underated defenceman.

Old
11-20-2012, 06:56 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 908
Murray out hurts us, time for someone else to get a good chance.

Old
11-20-2012, 06:57 PM
The Saurus

Bobby Mac tweeted that he would now put Morgan Rielly beside Dougie Hamilton on the top pairing for Canada.

Old
11-20-2012, 07:02 PM
robbiezyg

vCash: 1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkebr View Post
What canada needs to have happen is a power play that works. Having Drouin on the PP will provide an offensive weapon. Never mind the underage factor.
If it comes down to Wilson or Drouin for the 13th forward, Drouin should get the nod.
Nuge will be fine on that pp

Old
11-20-2012, 07:08 PM
PG Canuck

vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
All of the defensemen that were on the bubble before Murray went down, and still are on the bubble, all bring different skillsets, and are underrated in their own ways. I don't think any of those bubble players are going to be locks all of a sudden.

Since the WJC's is on a bigger ice surface, I hope Hockey Canada focuses on the faster defensemen rather then the slower, more physical ones.

Old
11-20-2012, 07:10 PM
PG Canuck

vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
And Harrington
IMO, Harrington is a lock to make the team. He was on the roster last year, and is a solid stay at home defensemen. Don't really see him being pushed off the roster entirely since he has WJC experience now.

Old
11-20-2012, 07:11 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
I would like to see Percy be invited to the selection camp and given the chance to make the team.

Old
11-20-2012, 07:34 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Murray out hurts us, time for someone else to get a good chance.
While Murray out hurts, I think losing any of the top forwards hurt more then losing a defenseman(which would be easier to replace)

Old
11-20-2012, 07:53 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
While Murray out hurts, I think losing any of the top forwards hurt more then losing a defenseman(which would be easier to replace)
Lots of depth at defense, but no one even close to as good as Murray. It's a big hit.

Old
11-20-2012, 08:24 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Does anyone know if Nick Cousins will be getting an invite? If not, he should be getting an invite. The guy has been fantastic for a mediocre Sault Ste Marie team.

Old
11-20-2012, 08:41 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

Interesting dilemma here.

As i see it:

______ - Hamilton
Rielly - Harrington
Murphy - Ouellet
______

are the locks. Time to fill in the blanks.

options: Ceci, Reinhart, Percy, Corrado, Dumba

While Percy may not be the best player out of the group, I feel like he best fills the hole Murray leaves style wise. Quiet, solid, consistent.

From there, it's between Ceci and Dumba in my opinion and I'd lean towards Ceci. I think he does everything Dumba can be offensively, and is less of a worry in his own end. I have not been convinced by Dumba's play at all in pressure situations thus far.

My Team Canada Murray-less D looks like this:

Rielly - Hamilton
Percy - Harrington
Murphy - Ouellet
Ceci

Closed Thread