HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2013 Canada World Junior team - anyone care to take a stab?

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2012, 10:54 AM
AVSFAN92
Rookie User

vCash: 500
They have been able to score, just no clutch scoring...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Where do you get your stats? Canada has led the tournament in scoring or at the top all these past 5 years or so...

in 08 wasn't exactly a high powered octane offence, but we still came home with the gold medal.... BTW on big European ice.
Canada is always at the top of the tourney, they have one of the most skilled teams each and every year. They BETTER be at the top. But they've had a tough time scoring when they need to in a game, especially at crunch time in a game.

Also on big ice, they need more creative players and players that can skate. With more ice, Drouin being as elusive as he is, will have a field day.

Watching the SSS, it was painful for the OHL games. Dump and chase, absolutely no creativity and the PP sucked. Which is the most important thing at the WJC, along with the PK. the WHL played very well, just couldn't bury the chances, helps they have very good dman in that league. The Q had a rough first game but they played alot of players at diff positions, which at a high level starting off, is just going to be trouble. But the 2nd game they dominated Russia, something neither the O or W did, even with Russia's PP playing terrible.

Having 3 skilled lines with all the talent from the lockout and one crash and bang line for Wilson and the like, would work just fine. Especially if the young players can play whatever the coaches need them to do. Both Mackinnon and Drouin are regular on the PK as well in Halifax.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:18 AM
AVSFAN92
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
Ok I am slacking hard at work so I am going to make a Team Canada A and a Team Canada B. Let me know what you think and how each team would do.

Assuming an NHL lockout:

Team "A"
Huberdeau - RNH - Rattie
Drouin - Scheifele - MacKinnon
Monahan - Strome - Ritchie
Danault - Jenner - Hudon
Leipsic

Rielly - Hamilton
Murphy - Reinhart
Harrington - Ouellet
Dumba

Subban
Brossoit

Team "B"
Puempel - Lipon - Smith
Shinkaruk - St. Croix - Griffith
Bussieres - Graovac - Lessio
Lowry - McNeill - Sutter
Reinhart

Ceci - Sproul
Pelech - Percy
Corrado - Pouliot
Pulock

Binnington
Marcoux

Team B is obviously weaker, but I still think they have a chance at a medal.
I like the first team, I'd just make a couple switches and a little different line combos...

Strome - RNH - Rattie - 1st
Huberdeau - MacKinnon - Drouin - 2nd/3rd
Danault - Scheifele - Ritchie/Puempel - 2nd/3rd
Wilson - Jenner - Hudon - 4th(Energy Line/PK)

Rielly - Hamilton - 1st
Murphy - Reinhart - 2nd/3rd
Harrington - Ouellet - 2nd/3rd
Dumba - Ceci - Both hit and can shoot the puck. I'd take Dumba first. And pass on Ceci if they carry 13 forwards.

Subban
Brossoit

Old
11-27-2012, 11:23 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Ceci's poor play is the reason Ottawa's bad? Oh my lord.

Toffoli gone
Prince gone
Mrazek gone

All guys that have basically stepped into the AHL seemlessly in prominent roles.

Ottawa's bad because it's roster is terrible and it lost 90 goals from 2 players graduating last year. How bad the 67's are was expected regardless of how well or poor Monahan and Ceci play.
PART OF the reason Ottawa is bad. Obviously they weren't going to be good while losing several of their stars, but there are teams with less talent than Graovac, Monahan and Ceci who are doing better than them.

In response to Blind Gardien, you are correct that I was referring to his defense. IMO it has taken a step back this year, although this may be him trying to compensate for a lack of production from his forwards by pushing the play himself and getting burned for it.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:25 AM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

If the team is willing to take atleast two underaged players, like they did in 2008 with Stamkos and Tavares I hope they take Mackinnon and Drouin instead of Mackinnon and Monahan. Drouin would be better in terms of chemistry plus with the depth of centres, natural wingers would be more preferable

Old
11-27-2012, 11:48 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Just curious, why no love for Catenacci? I know there are better options for top 6, but he can play in the bottom six as well and bring some skill there too.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:51 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
Just curious, why no love for Catenacci? I know there are better options for top 6, but he can play in the bottom six as well and bring some skill there too.
There are just players better than him at everything he does. Better grinders, better pests, better PKers and better scorers

Old
11-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
There are just players better than him at everything he does. Better grinders, better pests, better PKers and better scorers
I think it has more to do with him being a natural centre, and Canada is very deep at centre. Because quite frankly, Catenacci does bring an awfully well-rounded package to the table. If he were maybe two inches taller, he's definitely in the final mix.

Old
11-27-2012, 12:52 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
I think it has more to do with him being a natural centre, and Canada is very deep at centre. Because quite frankly, Catenacci does bring an awfully well-rounded package to the table. If he were maybe two inches taller, he's definitely in the final mix.
Sorry, I was a little blunt in my last post. It definitely does have to do with his natural position as well; if he was a winger he would definitely be a camp invite. For making the team however, he would have to beat players who bring a much larger frame and equal physicality (Wilson, Lowry, Graovac), are extremely effective pests and have been good on previous Canadian teams (Hudon, Leipsic), can play a very effective pure defensive role (Jenner, Schiefele, Monahan) or can play a very effective pure offensive role (Strome, Huberdeau, Mackinnon, RNH). Basically there is just no room

Old
11-27-2012, 01:00 PM
nitz

vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
Just because he's a Sabres draft pick doesn't mean that he deserves an invite.

Old
11-27-2012, 01:11 PM
wings5

Quote:
Sorry, I was a little blunt in my last post. It definitely does have to do with his natural position as well; if he was a winger he would definitely be a camp invite. For making the team however, he would have to beat players who bring a much larger frame and equal physicality (Wilson, Lowry, Graovac), are extremely effective pests and have been good on previous Canadian teams (Hudon, Leipsic), can play a very effective pure defensive role (Jenner, Schiefele, Monahan) or can play a very effective pure offensive role (Strome, Huberdeau, Mackinnon, RNH). Basically there is just no room
He has entangibles and can bring speed no one else you mentioned can, players like him and Danault will be very valuable on the big ice. Cogliano may not be an NHL star but he was pretty effective in the big ice tourny in Lekands, same with Helm. You NEED these kind of players for this rink size. Wilson and Lowry would not be as effective imo. About as effective or less than James Neal was in the tournament, who was pretty much a non-factor.

Old
11-27-2012, 01:22 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
He has entangibles and can bring speed no one else you mentioned can, players like him and Danault will be very valuable on the big ice. Cogliano may not be an NHL star but he was pretty effective in the big ice tourny in Lekands, same with Helm. You NEED these kind of players for this rink size. Wilson and Lowry would not be as effective imo. About as effective or less than James Neal was in the tournament, who was pretty much a non-factor.
Danault is a lock for the team as it is IMO. Canada has tons of speed in the top 6, and players like Mackinnon can bring a fair bit of tenacity as well. Lowry is slow, but Wilson is a pretty adept skater. Monahan and Jenner can both go at a fair clip and bring some physicality as well.

Old
11-27-2012, 01:50 PM
wings5

Quote:
Danault is a lock for the team as it is IMO. Canada has tons of speed in the top 6, and players like Mackinnon can bring a fair bit of tenacity as well. Lowry is slow, but Wilson is a pretty adept skater. Monahan and Jenner can both go at a fair clip and bring some physicality as well.
Mackinnon I know is fast same with RNH. I don't know if I can call Strome or Scheifele fast though. It will be interesting to assess the speed of players like Huberdeau and Hudon. On big ice the quicker more skilled team holds the advantage. This is why if you have a player with size, speed, skill, physicality and can cycle on the Canadian team they are incredibly valuable.

Old
11-27-2012, 02:31 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
If the team is willing to take atleast two underaged players, like they did in 2008 with Stamkos and Tavares I hope they take Mackinnon and Drouin instead of Mackinnon and Monahan. Drouin would be better in terms of chemistry plus with the depth of centres, natural wingers would be more preferable
unless Monahan has a terrible camp I see no reason not to have him on the team. he had a great Canada-Russia super series in the summer and Subway super series aswell as playing exceptionally well for Ottawa. his versitility willl be very important to the team. as he could play in a defensive role, energy role or scoring role so imo he should be on the final roster.

Old
11-27-2012, 03:05 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeMo- View Post
unless Monahan has a terrible camp I see no reason not to have him on the team. he had a great Canada-Russia super series in the summer and Subway super series aswell as playing exceptionally well for Ottawa. his versitility willl be very important to the team. as he could play in a defensive role, energy role or scoring role so imo he should be on the final roster.
I know Monahan was great and he should be on the final roster. But its very rare (if at all) that Canada takes three draft eligible players to the WJC so I would rather have Drouin and Mackinnon because of the elite offence they could bring to the team.

Old
11-27-2012, 03:10 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitz View Post
He's the best player on the best team in the OHL. Not to mention, during the SSS, he took all of the critical faceoffs, and got all of the critical matchups, and was arguably the best all around player on the ice. He will get an invite, and don't be shocked when he makes the team.

He's not getting any love around here because he's not a high round pick, and these boards are more popularity contests than anything else.

Old
11-27-2012, 03:21 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
He's the best player on the best team in the OHL. Not to mention, during the SSS, he took all of the critical faceoffs, and got all of the critical matchups, and was arguably the best all around player on the ice. He will get an invite, and don't be shocked when he makes the team.

He's not getting any love around here because he's not a high round pick, and these boards are more popularity contests than anything else.
Ok wow Owen Sound the best team in the OHL, no, just no......

Old
11-27-2012, 03:41 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Ok wow Owen Sound the best team in the OHL, no, just no......
They are ranked #4 in the CHL, and highest among OHL teams. So yeah, they are.

Old
11-27-2012, 03:50 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitz View Post
Oh how arrogant of me.

Old
11-27-2012, 03:51 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
They are ranked #4 in the CHL, and highest among OHL teams. So yeah, they are.
Those rankings can be taken with a grain of salt they havn't been stellar against the top teams losing to London twice this month by a margin of 3 goals, I'd say at most second behind London but no doubt they're a good team.

Old
11-27-2012, 05:27 PM
Alberta tough

Bob McKenzie's locks on defence.
Hamilton
Rielly
Harrington
Ouellet
Murphy

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=410405

Old
11-27-2012, 05:44 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Reaching the 1000 post limit in this thread, so please continue here...

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1298635

Old
11-27-2012, 05:44 PM
ALI

vCash: 50
i think

Rielly-Hamilton
Harrighton- Ouelette
Murphy-Wootherspoon
Reinhart

Closed Thread