2012/2013 German Bundesliga

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2012, 01:16 PM
cgf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HajdukSplit View Post
how long do you think Magath will last at Wolfsburg? A poor start to the season for them, and lets be honest with the money they have spent in the past few years Magath has done a poor job there
Magath will stay in Wolfsburg as long as he wants. He brought the club it's only league title and will turn the team around and come close to a european spot if not sneaking into the EL, which will be enough to give him another year. Rinse and repeat next season.

Old
10-01-2012, 01:48 PM
WhiskeySeven
Pretty big member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Magath will stay in Wolfsburg as long as he wants. He brought the club it's only league title and will turn the team around and come close to a european spot if not sneaking into the EL, which will be enough to give him another year. Rinse and repeat next season.
I can't pinipoint what it is about Magath that I don't like so much - I just know I don't like him - at all.

Old
10-01-2012, 02:09 PM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I can't pinipoint what it is about Magath that I don't like so much - I just know I don't like him - at all.
Probably the part where he's just a massive ****

Old
10-01-2012, 02:20 PM
cgf

Or how he runs through players seemingly faster than the rest of league combined?

Old
10-01-2012, 09:48 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Why aren't Borussia Dortmund considered one of the European giants? I mean, at least here in the US, they aren't exactly a household name like Bayern, the two Milan teams, Barca, Real, and England's "Big 4" which doesn't even include Man City. BVB have been a successful club especially since the 2000s.

Old
10-01-2012, 10:01 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Why aren't Borussia Dortmund considered one of the European giants? I mean, at least here in the US, they aren't exactly a household name like Bayern, the two Milan teams, Barca, Real, and England's "Big 4" which doesn't even include Man City. BVB have been a successful club especially since the 2000s.
They actually just came out of a dark period 3 years ago. Before then they were recovering from horrible financial management that led to the collapse of those great late 90s/early 2000s teams. Plus they don't have the greatest history before Hitzfeld and haven't done anything in europe in over a decade.

Old
10-02-2012, 06:31 AM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

1860 want to build their own 40,000 capacity stadium.

Good for them IMO, they will never make a lot of money playing in the Allianz, and plus they only get around 20-30,000 to games so playing at the Allianz really doesn't make any sense for them.

Could be something that can really help the club continue progressing after it's financial issues.

Old
10-02-2012, 07:03 AM
WhiskeySeven
Pretty big member

Quote:
Image takes a long time to establish. Like you said Man City isn't even big and they won the PL. BvB had a bad stretch and essentially fell off the face of the global football market.

I like that they're coming back and they play good football, I can't really hate them or their coach as they're self-made and relatively clean. Good for the BuLi, good for football. I just want Hoeness to steal Goetze away when Ribery gets past his prime. It'll be glorious.

Old
10-02-2012, 11:59 AM
BSHH
HSVer & Rotflügel

Quote:
Dortmund had a very successful era during the time when Hitzfeld was manager. However, it became apparent that this success was partly achieved by gross overspending. Now Klopp has lead the club back to national success, but international results were mostly embarassing during the last years. We'll see if Dortmund remains in an European competition after the CL group stage, they have very difficult opponents.

Gruß,
BSHH

Old
10-02-2012, 03:59 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
It's his giant head.

Old
10-03-2012, 07:15 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Dortmund were in a relegation dogfight just a few years back, that's why they aren't giants. Giants need to be consistently competing at the top of their respective leagues and consistently feature in Europe.

German football doesn't have anyone like that other than Bayern.

Old
10-04-2012, 08:47 AM
BSHH
HSVer & Rotflügel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
(...) German football doesn't have anyone like that other than Bayern.
Nevertheless, I would say that Dortmund has re-established themselves as a "national equal rival" of Bayern Munich. Only a few clubs had a similar position over a certain timespan, like M'gladbach in the 70ies, HSV in the late 70ies/early 80ies and Dortmund in the 90ies until 2002 (you might add Bremen during the late 80ies and early 90ies). Meanwhile, Dortmund has come back and might be able to stay on top for quite a while.

Gruß,
BSHH

Old
10-04-2012, 11:14 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSHH View Post
Nevertheless, I would say that Dortmund has re-established themselves as a "national equal rival" of Bayern Munich. Only a few clubs had a similar position over a certain timespan, like M'gladbach in the 70ies, HSV in the late 70ies/early 80ies and Dortmund in the 90ies until 2002 (you might add Bremen during the late 80ies and early 90ies). Meanwhile, Dortmund has come back and might be able to stay on top for quite a while.

Gruß,
BSHH
I agree Dortmund have potential but it remains to be seen what they can do with it. What happens if/when Klopp leaves? I doubt a Reus or Götze will stick around for a long time either.

Old
10-04-2012, 12:12 PM
cgf

Took the ref all of ten minutes to totally lose control of the Hannover game. This has been unbelievably horrible reffing. Gives an unnecessary red and then hands Stindl a yellow for a Levante player being in the way of his FK.

EDIT: Just saw the replay of the last corner and the levante defender grabs eggiman's collar and drags him back across his body to the ground...no call though...

Hustzi wins a penalty n converts to tie it up, but I thought an intentional handball in the box was an automatic red.

Last edited by cgf: 10-04-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old
10-04-2012, 12:58 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Hustzi wins a penalty n converts to tie it up, but I thought an intentional handball in the box was an automatic red.
Only when it's denying a clear scoring chance. Inside the box, it tends to do so (on shots or clear passes), but you'll (rightfully, IMO) get away with a yellow on a more abstract chance, like on a cross inside, or something along those lines. Haven't seen this play, obviously.

Old
10-04-2012, 02:12 PM
ScottishCanuck

Quote:
I agree Dortmund have potential but it remains to be seen what they can do with it. What happens if/when Klopp leaves? I doubt a Reus or Götze will stick around for a long time either.
Winning the Bundesliga two years in a row? League-Cup double last season? They'll likely challenge Bayern for the title again this year.

I can't see Götze or Reus leaving for a few years yet.

Old
10-04-2012, 04:22 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishCanuck View Post
Winning the Bundesliga two years in a row? League-Cup double last season? They'll likely challenge Bayern for the title again this year.

The point is consistency, that's what the discussion is about. Not sure what you said really adds anything to that.

Old
10-05-2012, 03:46 PM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

So Alushi tears his ACL and his fiancée Bajramaj (woman's player for FFC Frankfurt) also tears her ACL 3 days later.

What are the chances eh?

Old
10-05-2012, 11:18 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
Quote:
I don't see where else Klopp would go, to be honest. He's not going to leave Dortmund for Bayern and he doesn't really have the international reputation to attract interest from the big English and Spanish clubs yet, the only place I can envision him leaving Dortmund for is the German National Team job if Löw gets sacked or steps down after the 2014 World Cup.

As for the two players, Götze hasn't shown any eagerness to move so far, in fact the comments he's made all point in the other direction, that he wants to stay at Dortmund for the foreseeable future. With Reus, I highly doubt Dortmund would be interested in selling him any time soon unless they get an extremely big offer, they wouldn't have spent more than 17 million on him if they didn't think he'd be with them for the long run.

If Dortmund can keep challenging for the league title and start progressing to the later rounds of the Champions League for a few more years I can definitely see them establishing themselves as a footballing "end station" and the first true rival to FC Bayern for a long, long time.

Old
10-07-2012, 08:24 AM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Another blown lead, wooooo!

Miss 4 clear cut chances in the 2nd half, and Ingolstadt score with their only chance, so typical.

The sooner we **** Jessen off back to Denmark, the better. Worst fullback I've seen at Kaiserslautern in at least 5 years

"We score goals, but we give them straight back" Kaiserslautern 2012

Old
10-07-2012, 08:54 AM
Osstrayan
#murderskate

Send a message via AIM to Osstrayan Send a message via MSN to Osstrayan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishCanuck View Post

One problem, as pointed out, is the lack of exposure of the Bundesliga in places such as the U.S. Those titles are impressive, but with the EPL (and maybe La Liga) dominating exposure around the world they tend to get lost in the shuffle.

Regarding Bayern possessing the higher profile, their European record certainly has helped with them at least being represented in the CL on a consistent basis. Dortmund's success in the 90s is a generation ago and most new fans of the sport these days (which is where the growth in places like the U.S. is coming from) never saw it.

I'd argue though that it's the transfer market that truly differentiates the two with regard to perception of being "big". Bayern have traditionally been the financial heavyweights in the league, and have always had the bigger name transfers coming through, moreso than Dortmund and other clubs. At the end of the day, that's what always affects the perception of whether a club is "big" in all leagues. If you think to the bigger clubs in all leagues, you're almost always thinking to the biggest spenders as well.

Old
10-08-2012, 09:19 AM
Bon Esprit

And Klopp is at it again.

Teach your friggin d-men how to play defence. Subotic, Schmelzer and esp. Hummels are playing bad this season.

And by the way teach Goetze how to finish.

Yes, I am biased, I'm a Hannover 96 supporter.

This draw was well deserved.

And I'm sick of Klopp's complaining. None of our players wanted to hurt your players. End of rant. Sorry for that.

Old
10-08-2012, 09:52 AM
The_Human_Atombomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bon Esprit View Post
And I'm sick of Klopp's complaining. None of our players wanted to hurt your players. End of rant. Sorry for that.
Your pitch did that. When's Andreasen due for return? You should expect a certain level of professionalism from a Bundesliga team.

Old
10-08-2012, 11:04 AM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Klopp has always been a whinger, 19 years in Mainz will do that to you.

Old
10-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Schalkenullvier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Human_Atombomb View Post
Your pitch did that. When's Andreasen due for return? You should expect a certain level of professionalism from a Bundesliga team.
funnily enough that's the same pitch where Christian Pander stayed healthy for an extended period of time for the first time since forever. I don't buy it.

Closed Thread