Boll 2 hit superstar

vCash: 500
Such an undeserved win today

11 months since last win at the Betze, so I'll take it! heimsieg

Old
09-16-2012, 08:54 AM
Schalkenullvier*

Feeling bad for Duisburg I can't believe how football in the ruhr area has been declining. Not too long ago we had four Bundesliga teams and two more in the 2nd in the span of two or three seasons, and now it looks like we'll be stuck with two in the bigs for some time, and only one if even that in the 2nd. Sad, Rot-Weiss Essen or Oberhausen should be fixtures ind the 2nd Bundesliga at least But of course it's difficult, with giants dortmund and schalke, these clubs have little to no chance of getting good youth players or retaining them for a significant amount of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Echte Liebe.
What is this all about?

Old
09-16-2012, 08:58 AM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

Poor ruhr area teams, we easterners feel so bad for you...

Old
09-16-2012, 09:03 AM
Schalkenullvier*

eastern football was doomed ever since the gdr was formed...

so do I watch vdv's return to hamburg or Eisbären Berlin taking on the Adler Mannheim?

Old
09-16-2012, 09:07 AM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

I know, still doesn't make me have any more sympathy for the ruhr teams though. Especially since the GDR stopped existing two decades ago, you'd think that eventually things would normalize.

Old
09-16-2012, 09:10 AM
mightyquack
Boll 2 hit superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier View Post
Feeling bad for Duisburg I can't believe how football in the ruhr area has been declining. Not too long ago we had four Bundesliga teams and two more in the 2nd in the span of two or three seasons, and now it looks like we'll be stuck with two in the bigs for some time, and only one if even that in the 2nd. Sad, Rot-Weiss Essen or Oberhausen should be fixtures ind the 2nd Bundesliga at least But of course it's difficult, with giants dortmund and schalke, these clubs have little to no chance of getting good youth players or retaining them for a significant amount of time
I think it's only a matter of time till Essen is heading back up the leagues, their new stadium is looking very nice, and they have a great fanbase for a 4th division team, which should give them an edge over other teams as that should be more income then 90% of other 4th division teams can make through spectator numbers.

I'm surprised by Oberhausen's plight I have to say though, from back to back middle 2.BL finishes to back to back relegations to the Regionalliga. And probably the worst time to be in the Regionalliga, as they would appear to be the hardest ones to get promoted from in my memory given you can win the league and still not go up!

I'd love to see teams like Lok Leipzig, Kiel, Mannheim (yuck), Homburg etc in the top 3 divisions. Maybe even Koblenz, Pfalz needs more representation in the professional ranks IMO

Old
09-16-2012, 09:16 AM
mightyquack
Boll 2 hit superstar

East football is starting to improve, Cottbus, Dresden, Aue, Union Berlin all in the 2nd division, with Dresden having facilities that a lot of other clubs would love to have.

Chemnitz, Babelsberg, Rostock, Hallescher, Erfurt all in the 3rd division.

Seems like a lot of the Eastern teams are only just starting to recover now from the financials issues quite a lot of them suffered in 1990 and after.

Old
09-16-2012, 09:23 AM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
East football is starting to improve, Cottbus, Dresden, Aue, Union Berlin all in the 2nd division, with Dresden having facilities that a lot of other clubs would love to have.

Chemnitz, Babelsberg, Rostock, Hallescher, Erfurt all in the 3rd division.

Seems like a lot of the Eastern teams are only just starting to recover now from the financials issues quite a lot of them suffered in 1990 and after.
And not a single top division side since Rostock got sent down. The east is starting to make steps, but lets see if that actually comes to anything as top former-GDR talents still keep fleeing west like Bittencourt and Kroos.

Old
09-16-2012, 09:27 AM
Schalkenullvier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
I know, still doesn't make me have any more sympathy for the ruhr teams though. Especially since the GDR stopped existing two decades ago, you'd think that eventually things would normalize.
I was just pointing out that it happened so quickly with ruhr teams, so that was my real point.

Had the GDR teams been able to keep their players, it would have been another story... but the fact that these players went westwards, along with the eastern clubs being totally thrown into cold water of the capitalist footballing system, along with managers that destroyed the finances of clubs for their own good... it's hard to recover from that. Look at the east in general, it has gotten massive help with soli (over-simplyfying it) and still hasn't caught up to the rest of germany. It's difficult.

Of course it doesn't help for the image of eastern football that it's known for Hooligans and Nazi stuff, but that's a different story alltogether.

Old
09-16-2012, 09:29 AM
mightyquack
Boll 2 hit superstar

Quote:
And not a single top division side since Rostock got sent down. The east is starting to make steps, but lets see if that actually comes to anything as top former-GDR talents still keep fleeing west like Bittencourt and Kroos.
Top talents go to bigger clubs all the time, so no need to make it seem like people just don't want to play for a club located in an eastern part of Germany, which isn't the case at all to be honest.

There hasn't been many top division sides located east, because on the most part most of them have been very unstable on the pitch, and financially, as we can all see with Rostock now. I think this is the strongest crop of clubs from the east in quite some time, and I could see clubs like Dresden and Union competing right up for promotion in a couple of years, especially Dresden.

Football will usually come last as a lot of these cities have had money poured into them to regenerate them to reach the standards of a lot of western cities, and some of them still aren't fully regenerated yet, so football is always going to come last in these sort of situations.

Old
09-16-2012, 09:30 AM
The_Human_Atombomb

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Cottbus was around until 2009.

Old
09-16-2012, 09:33 AM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

Quote:
I was just pointing out that it happened so quickly with ruhr teams, so that was my real point.

Had the GDR teams been able to keep their players, it would have been another story... but the fact that these players went westwards, along with the eastern clubs being totally thrown into cold water of the capitalist footballing system, along with managers that destroyed the finances of clubs for their own good... it's hard to recover from that. Look at the east in general, it has gotten massive help with soli (over-simplyfying it) and still hasn't caught up to the rest of germany. It's difficult.

Of course it doesn't help for the image of eastern football that it's known for Hooligans and Nazi stuff, but that's a different story alltogether.
The east has also gotten it's fair share of screwing, especially with a good chunk of that "help" never actually going to any good use.

As for the Hooliganism, I can only speak to Hansa and Union fans, I'm from Berlin and have relatives from Rostock, and Union fans would be awesome folks even if the ********** that fill the Olympia stadium across town weren't such loathsome ***** that made the Union fans look even more awesome in comparison.

Old
09-16-2012, 09:34 AM
Schalkenullvier*

Bittenccourt and Kroos are two promising youngsters from the east... Kroos and Adler are the only players from the former gdr who are possibilities for the national team right now I believe...

Old
09-16-2012, 09:35 AM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
Top talents go to bigger clubs all the time, so no need to make it seem like people just don't want to play for a club located in an eastern part of Germany, which isn't the case at all to be honest.

There hasn't been many top division sides located east, because on the most part most of them have been very unstable on the pitch, and financially, as we can all see with Rostock now. I think this is the strongest crop of clubs from the east in quite some time, and I could see clubs like Dresden and Union competing right up for promotion in a couple of years, especially Dresden.

Football will usually come last as a lot of these cities have had money poured into them to regenerate them to reach the standards of a lot of western cities, and some of them still aren't fully regenerated yet, so football is always going to come last in these sort of situations.
No doubt, I don't want to play the victim here, but it's very frustrating to see kids like Bittencourt that could use another season in the 2BL before a loan to someone like Nurnberg or Mainz, leaving a strong 2BL Cottbus team to sit on Dortmund's bench for the next year.

Old
09-16-2012, 09:35 AM
mightyquack
Boll 2 hit superstar

Dynamo v Kaiserslautern last year

Old
09-16-2012, 09:36 AM
Schalkenullvier*

Quote:
The east has also gotten it's fair share of screwing, especially with a good chunk of that "help" never actually going to any good use.

As for the Hooliganism, I can only speak to Hansa and Union fans, I'm from Berlin and have relatives from Rostock, and Union fans would be awesome folks even if the ********** that fill the Olympia stadium across town weren't such loathsome ***** that made the Union fans look even more awesome in comparison.
I'm not even saying it's justified, but eastern do have the image of having fan problems of various sorts in general publid, and that can't be helpful.

Old
09-16-2012, 09:37 AM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

Quote:
Bittenccourt and Kroos are two promising youngsters from the east... Kroos and Adler are the only players from the former gdr who are possibilities for the national team right now I believe...
There's also Jantschke...and Schmelzer...

Old
09-16-2012, 09:45 AM
Schalkenullvier*

Quote:
There's also Jantschke...and Schmelzer...
ah, didn't know about those 2, thanks for the heads-up

Old
09-16-2012, 10:02 AM
mightyquack
Boll 2 hit superstar

Wiese has to be the worst goalkeeper in the league atm, he's been horrid since moving to Hoffenheim

Why did we get rid of Weidenfeller to keep Wiese in the early part of the century

Old
09-16-2012, 10:02 AM
WhiskeySeven
Expect the expected

vCash: 300
Ballack was born in GDR, in Saxony I believe. Robert Huth, Borowski, Schneider the sphinx... the 06 squad had quite a few it seems.

And of course Sammer.

Old
09-16-2012, 10:12 AM
mightyquack
Boll 2 hit superstar

hahaha Wiese again, horrid

Old
09-16-2012, 10:14 AM
Schalkenullvier*

heh, quite the wild game between Hoffenheim and Freiburg, damn shame I'm not watching it.

Old
09-16-2012, 10:15 AM
mightyquack
Boll 2 hit superstar

5-3

Old
09-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Schalkenullvier*

11 goals against in 3 matches for Hoffenheim. Plus 4 against Berliner AK. Wiese might be bad but he sure isn't helped by his defense...

Closed Thread