HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Dark Horse bottom 6

Old
07-10-2012, 09:59 PM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Dark Horse bottom 6

Phil Varone - Center

thoughts?

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:01 PM
gallagt01

I'm a huge fan. Guy comes to play everytime I see him.

I don't see him in a non-scoring role though.

He'll get a look in camp.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:06 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Googled the name cause I couldn't remember how he became Sabres' property and the first result was an ad for a sex tape involving the drummer for Skid Row...

If he impresses, I'd be fine with it. I don't know anything about him other than slowly recollecting him impressing with the Amerks, but I always got the impression that he was an AHL-offensive player type, not a guy with bottom six upside...

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:12 PM
Jame
Dream '16

from what i've seen

- he's got wheels
- he's shortish at 5'10, but he's stocky/strong/balanced
- plays with the type of tenacity you'd associate with today's "speedy 4th line types"

Old
07-10-2012, 10:15 PM
sabrefan27

I really like Varone. I think he's a top 6 or nothing player. Probably will develop into one of those 4A tweener types.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:27 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Really like what I've seen from him in Rochester. I'm not opposed to it. He'll have to bust his ass in training camp though.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:45 PM
Revelate

I know he plays bigger than his size, and I love the way he plays, but we would be smaaaaaaallllllll down the middle.

my dark horse (not taking an opinion on whether it's wise or not) is Zemgus. I think he has a better shot of making it than Grigs.

Revelate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:04 AM
Girgenburger

If he fits. But I'd rather have Kevin Porter play on the 4th line. Dude can play some hockey.

Girgenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:36 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
I see Varone playing a role as a call-up this season and as such I think he's a reasonable dark horse candidate.

But I'm going to go with Porter. I know some may not consider him much of a 'dark horse' but frankly, I do. It seems to me that Ruff is far more likely to put trust in McCormick or Ellis to give him what he wants in that position and I don't disagree with them having the inside track in his mind.

However, should Porter win the job, the Gerbe-Porter connection will form a Voltron of elite college hockey, leading to only one logical conclusion: the highest-scoring 4th line in the history of not only the NHL, but the entire history of hockey.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:51 AM
HiddenInLight

I feel like if Luke Adam is sabres property come the start of the season, he will have the best chance of making the team/being first call up, assuming he continues to impress in the offseason.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:21 AM
OcAirlines

No. Varone could very well play himself into a call-up or an NHL-job in camp or throughout the season, but we have enough Centers that are bothe young, smallish and/or soft, so I'd prefer a different type of Center in our bottom-six. Also, keep in mind that will most likely already have to smallish guys in the bottom-six in Gerbe and Kaleta, although they don't play a small man's game, adding a third player who is 5'11 or less to those lines might be a bit too much.

OcAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:29 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I see Varone playing a role as a call-up this season and as such I think he's a reasonable dark horse candidate.

But I'm going to go with Porter. I know some may not consider him much of a 'dark horse' but frankly, I do. It seems to me that Ruff is far more likely to put trust in McCormick or Ellis to give him what he wants in that position and I don't disagree with them having the inside track in his mind.

However, should Porter win the job, the Gerbe-Porter connection will form a Voltron of elite college hockey, leading to only one logical conclusion: the highest-scoring 4th line in the history of not only the NHL, but the entire history of hockey.
only if they re-sign Brian Holzinger

Old
07-11-2012, 07:33 AM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
Hollll zingerr

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:48 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
He'll be in the mix for in-season injury recall but his game right now is not tailored to a third line sort of role. He would be a serious dark horse for that role right now.

07-11-2012, 09:34 AM
DixonWard15

Varone was a good surprise last season in Rochester, especially in the second half of the season. However I wouldn't pick him over Whitmore if we were talking about unlikely guys to make the roster, and Whitmore is leaving because he knows he doesn't have a realistic chance of breaking the lineup.

DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:39 AM
heartsabres*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Phil Varone - Center

thoughts?
Career AHLer

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 03:18 AM
Sabres Fan UK
eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelate View Post
I know he plays bigger than his size, and I love the way he plays, but we would be smaaaaaaallllllll down the middle.

my dark horse (not taking an opinion on whether it's wise or not) is Zemgus. I think he has a better shot of making it than Grigs.
Is it even possible for Zemgus to play for us next season? isn't he under contract in the USHL?

Sabres Fan UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 03:46 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
Career AHLer
I think it's way too early to say that. The guy could really make it in the NHL. No All-Star to be sure but I wouldn't count against him sticking somewhere for at least a few seasons, but his opportunities here may be limited. Give him a couple seasons to round out his game and have opportunities to play. If he can adapt to fill a bottom 6 role he'll have a pretty good shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres Fan UK View Post
Is it even possible for Zemgus to play for us next season? isn't he under contract in the USHL?
No, he's done with the USHL. As he was drafted out of that league, he can play in any of the following this season: NCAA (he's committed to Vermont and very much wants to honor that commitment), NHL, AHL (as he wasn't drafted out of juniors he can play there even as an 18 year old), or CHL (his rights are held by Kelowna of the WHL). From comments, it seems the Sabres may want him to sign an ELC (which would consequently bar him from playing in the NCAA). If he intends to go to Vermont he won't be attending the Sabres training camp. If he signs an ELC he can attend camp and then either got to the CHL or wind up in the NHL/AHL based on performance.

It should be noted that he spoke out against things Kelowna's GM said in regards to the possibility that he might decommit to Vermont to play for them, which he found disrespectful. If he decides to go the CHL route he may first demand his rights be traded to another CHL team.

Players who aren't drafted out of the CHL are free to do most anything in this regard, likewise with players drafted out of European leagues.

Last edited by Rob Paxon: 07-13-2012 at 03:53 AM.
Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote