HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ruff " Its a little bit of a gamble but we all liked what we saw"

Old
07-10-2012, 10:10 PM
stokes84

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
im worried more about his smarts/awareness when he doesn't have the puck... and his strength...

see game tying goal against vs philly in game 81 for a perfect example
You've brought up this one play numerous times when discussing Ennis, as if it is his defining play. Anyone can be taught to play responsible defense, being a scorer is an innate ability. Please tell us again how Gerbe is more valuable than Ennis.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:15 PM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
You've brought up this one play numerous times when discussing Ennis, as if it is his defining play. Anyone can be taught to play responsible defense, being a scorer is an innate ability. Please tell us again how Gerbe is more valuable than Ennis.
did you ever watch max afinogenov play here?

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:17 PM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakon View Post
Peeking around NHL.com, I'd say he definitely had some rough stretches in 09-10. Maybe not 20 games pointless, but I don't think the team as a whole lost 12 straight road games at any point either.

I think it's easier to luck into a point or two when the team around you is actually able to step up for a little bit. Instead they fell apart just as Adam did. Hard. An almost record breaking level of hard.

If anything sending him down to the AHL could've been saving him from deteriorating further on the worst team in the NHL, but I do believe that Adam's confidence was shot at that point and I'm not ruling out that Lindy probably didn't do much to help.

Apparently enough that the lack of it was worth mentioning on the way out.
Believe me, I'm not a fan of Staffords game. Less for his point production, and more for his lack of presence when he's not appearing on the scoreboard. Again though, I believe that he would have needed to clear waivers when he slumped hard in 09-10.

I still take Boyes comments with a grain of salt. If I recall correctly, he hadn't been signed to a team when he made that statement, so he's motivated to deflect to the system and coaches lack of communication as the reason for being year long no show.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:18 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
yup, that play is a good visual example that represents Ennis defensive zone play (or lack there of)

i disagree that "anyone" can be taught to play responsible defense. it's a skill.

i did not believe ennis could move to center, largely because of his inadequacies defensively. it would appear i was wrong.

please tell us again how he scored 80 pts last year

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:18 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Is he really 160 though, or is that just some wonky NHL.com listing...

I remember at least a few comments about him looking bigger at running summer camps...

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:20 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
did you ever watch max afinogenov play here?
Just because not every player learns to play defense at a high level, doesn't mean that you can't teach any given player good defensive play.

You 100% cannot teach Ennis's offensive skillset.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:20 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Ya know, I like it. I'd rather start Ennis on the track to eventually become our #1, all situations guy now. He's shown he has the talent.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:24 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
Ya know, I like it. I'd rather start Ennis on the track to eventually become our #1, all situations guy now. He's shown he has the talent.

really? he's shown the talent to be an all situations player? you realize "all situations" includes defensive situations like dzone draws and pk, where things like faceoffs, shot blocking, strength, defensive awareness are needed skills that ennis has actually NOT shown he has the talent

Old
07-10-2012, 10:28 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Just because not every player learns to play defense at a high level, doesn't mean that you can't teach any given player good defensive play.

You 100% cannot teach Ennis's offensive skillset.
so there are no bad defensive players... because everyone can be taught.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:31 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

I have a feeling that Ruff won't be playing Ennis too defensively. Or at least, I hope not. Because Jame and others are right; while Ennis is likely to improve in that area, his game is purely offensive right now.

Roy, while not a Selke caliber forward, does have a two way game that Ennis doesn't have. I'm thinking the quote has more to do with the offensive ice time Roy received.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:33 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:
I personally think his career long niche will be centering a scoring mismatch line. But yeah I don't see the harm in trying him in all situations role this year.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
He's shown he has the talent to become a Briere type player, but that's not an all situations center. Drury was an all situations center, and if anybody on this roster can be molded to that kind of guy it's Hodgson.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:36 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
He's shown he has the talent to become a Briere type player, but that's not an all situations center. Drury was an all situations center, and if anybody on this roster can be molded to that kind of guy it's Hodgson.
bingo

Old
07-10-2012, 10:37 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Girgs is probably even more likely when/if he makes the roster. But you're right. I would imagine Lindy is thinking about keeping FES going offensively with VHP being a two way scoring line and some gritty checking line with some skill featuring Ott as a winger or center with Leino and Gerbe perhaps.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:38 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Quote:

really? he's shown the talent to be an all situations player? you realize "all situations" includes defensive situations like dzone draws and pk, where things like faceoffs, shot blocking, strength, defensive awareness are needed skills that ennis has actually NOT shown he has the talent
I mostly meant the #1 offensive center duties, but the defense can come... We don't need him to be a powerhouse defensive player (Though Lindy will most likely aim for that), we really just need him to be adequate, because while his line is on the ice, I doubt they'll be playing defense all that much.

As for the PK, well.... We have a bunch of guys who have shown they're very good on the penalty kill.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:40 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Quote:
Good point. Why can't Ennis be our Briere sort of player? Hodgson can be the Drury of the team. I don't think anyone was crying about Briere's defense when he scored 90 points for us...

Old
07-10-2012, 10:40 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

I think Ennis could be molded into a good penalty killer way easier than a good defensive forward...

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:41 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Good point. Why can't Ennis be our Briere sort of player? Hodgson can be the Drury of the team. I don't think anyone was crying about Briere's defense when he scored 90 points for us...
I don't think anyone would have a problem with that scenario playing out, but Ruff's comments didn't sound like that's what he's trying to do.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:43 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
I think Ennis could be molded into a good penalty killer way easier than a good defensive forward...
i agree. it's much easier

Old
07-10-2012, 10:44 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
The powers that be seem to feel that Ennis is closer to being, or more fit to be, that guy for us to start the upcoming season. Take that for what it is worth.

We certainly know that, until Ennis proves some wrong, Ruff will take heat simply for this quote. We get it, guys. Some of you want the coach fired.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:46 PM
kirby11

Quote:
I mostly meant the #1 offensive center duties, but the defense can come... We don't need him to be a powerhouse defensive player (Though Lindy will most likely aim for that), we really just need him to be adequate, because while his line is on the ice, I doubt they'll be playing defense all that much.

As for the PK, well.... We have a bunch of guys who have shown they're very good on the penalty kill.
we used to...now we basically have poms, ott, kaleta, and maybe gerbe as our only decent, proven options. staff can do it if needed. probably hodgson is going to be another guy to get on there, maybe foligno too, ennis is also a decent option with his quickness

Old
07-10-2012, 10:46 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

so, when they are on the road, the opponent won't be throwing the Spezza line, the Malkin line, etc over the boards at him?

if they intend to keep giving the ennis line the ozone heavy shifts, then they can prevent a lot of that... but if they intend on expanding his role, then the opponent is going to get a lot more opportunities to put their top scoring lines on the ice against FES

Does anyone think that it's good for FES to be facing Crosby... or Bergon/Lucic? or Spezza?

I don't

Old
07-10-2012, 10:48 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
i was

Old
07-10-2012, 10:48 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
we used to...now we basically have poms, ott, kaleta, and maybe gerbe as our only decent, proven options. staff can do it if needed. probably hodgson is going to be another guy to get on there, maybe foligno too
Stafford was a regular last season, so he'll get plenty of PK time this season.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:55 PM
kirby11

Quote:
so, when they are on the road, the opponent won't be throwing the Spezza line, the Malkin line, etc over the boards at him?

if they intend to keep giving the ennis line the ozone heavy shifts, then they can prevent a lot of that... but if they intend on expanding his role, then the opponent is going to get a lot more opportunities to put their top scoring lines on the ice against FES

Does anyone think that it's good for FES to be facing Crosby... or Bergon/Lucic? or Spezza?

I don't
this big problem=round hole
tyler ennis at this point in his career trying to fix this problem=square peg
do what you do best, lindy but also