HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ruff " Its a little bit of a gamble but we all liked what we saw"

Old
07-10-2012, 11:56 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Derek Roy played a wopping 49 seconds more even strength per game than Ennis. Just throwing that out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
this big problem=round hole
tyler ennis at this point in his career trying to fix this problem=square peg
do what you do best, lindy but also
Lindy didn't make the roster have 2 centers on it, what suggestions do you have for him to follow?

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 12:00 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
i was
You were?

You were a Democrat for Briere during the co captain primaries electoral debate. Why am I finding it hard to believe you criticized his d at the time as you were vehemently campaigning to keep him over Drury?

You might've acknowledged it as a weaker area of his game, but to say you complained about it during the 90pt season? Pump yo' brakes, Simple Jame.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 12:01 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Derek Roy played a wopping 49 seconds more even strength per game than Ennis. Just throwing that out there.
i was going to mention this before...

with this FACT in mind... what does ruff mean by "give him roy's minutes" if not dzone draws and pk time?

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 12:02 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:

Lindy didn't make the roster have 2 centers on it, what suggestions do you have for him to follow?
It doesn't matter - anything he suggests would be wrong after Lindy executed it... Because it's Ruff.

Old
07-11-2012, 12:04 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:

with this FACT in mind... what does ruff mean by "give him roy's minutes" if not dzone draws and pk time?
It literally means when he has his twelve empty forward slots on his whiteboard, Ennis' name will be on the line that's in the middle of the first row.

Old
07-11-2012, 12:04 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
You were?

You were a Democrat for Briere during the co captain primaries electoral debate. Why am I finding it hard to believe you criticized his d at the time as you were vehemently campaigning to keep him over Drury?

You might've acknowledged it as a weaker area of his game, but to say you complained about it during the 90pt season? Pump yo' brakes, Simple Jame.
are you being sarcastic? i cant tell if you are, or if you have completely forgotten?

Old
07-11-2012, 12:05 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
It literally means when he has his twelve empty forward slots on his whiteboard, Ennis' name will be on the line that's in the middle of the first row.
that's different then "roy's minutes"...

Old
07-11-2012, 12:07 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
are you being sarcastic? i cant tell if you are, or if you have completely forgotten?
Horrible joke attempt by me, since we fell on the same side of that debate...I just re read it and it doesn't read how it sounded in my head

Old
07-11-2012, 12:08 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:

Well, this is why I take it to mean that he doesn't really mean all that much. He's just showing confidence in Ennis more than anything. I doubt he has a big PK role in mind, for example. If they get a 3rd center then all things are basically equal, only Ennis gets elevated prominence in the general pecking order. I don't get the impression that Ruff is in a hurry to force all kinds of roles on Ennis; if he does -- taking a look at the roster as it stands today -- he'd have small choice in the matter.

Old
07-11-2012, 12:09 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Horrible joke attempt by me, since we fell on the same side of that debate...I just re read it and it doesn't read how it sounded in my head
ha. the good ol days.

Old
07-11-2012, 12:09 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
that's different then "roy's minutes"...
I don't agree...and I really think this quote is being overanalyzed.

Old
07-11-2012, 12:10 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Well, this is why I take it to mean that he doesn't really mean all that much. He's just showing confidence in Ennis more than anything. I doubt he has a big PK role in mind, for example. If they get a 3rd center then all things are basically equal, only Ennis gets elevated prominence in the general pecking order. I don't get the impression that Ruff is in a hurry to force all kinds of roles on Ennis; if he does -- taking a look at the roster as it stands today -- he'd have small choice in the matter.
good call

Old
07-11-2012, 12:12 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
ha. the good ol days.
Those threads caused irreversible damage to many on a variety of levels. Far and away our most intense, memorable, contested, and emotional topic since the boards opened. More so than the GCTs

Old
07-11-2012, 12:34 AM
kirby11

Quote:
I was going to say that if the staff wants ennis to "take over for roy's minutes" literally, I feel that a line of X-Hodgson-Pominville would do better in terms of starting in the defensive zone/playing better competition because of pominville's presence, and the fact that 2/3rds of the FES line is very green (Ennis as a center, Foligno just in the nhl obviously) But i think now i agree with what you've said here, esp. the bolded part, so my previous point can be disregarded

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 12:58 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
I was going to say that if the staff wants ennis to "take over for roy's minutes" literally, I feel that a line of X-Hodgson-Pominville would do better in terms of starting in the defensive zone/playing better competition because of pominville's presence, and the fact that 2/3rds of the FES line is very green (Ennis as a center, Foligno just in the nhl obviously) But i think now i agree with what you've said here, esp. the bolded part, so my previous point can be disregarded
I too think Hodgson is generally more the type of player who should be taking on the "multi-role" kind of responsibility, but on the other hand Ennis has more experience and the staff has more experience with him. I do think that Hodgson is more likely to be out there for late game defensive situations than Ennis would, but I honestly don't think the coaches have much inkling as to how that will play out just yet. It should really be dictated more by their more experienced linemates. For example, whomever is centering Pominville should be out there, or a situational line with the adjudged best defensive center+Pominville should be out there.

Old
07-11-2012, 01:06 AM
BloFan4Life

I think Lindy needs to change his coaching style more than Ennis needs to change his game. I really don't see us doing much more but I think we are looking for more a 3rd line center than a first. However based on last year, this is how I would start the year...

Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Ott-Hodgson-Pominville
Vanek-?????-Tropp
Gerbe-McCormick-Kaleta

Leino can take a hike to the press box.

BloFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:19 AM
heartsabres*

Everyone seems to overlook the opportunity Ennis will have and the chance he has to improve and grow. It is his third year and people here are so hooked on LAST years stats without giving him a chance..

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:39 AM
dma0034

I'd bet on Grigorenko making the team honestly. I think when Ruff said take Roy's minutes it just meant taking his spot on the first line (or our penalty kill will be hurt big time)

Foligno - Ennis - Stafford
Vanek - Hogdson - Pominville
Leino - Grigorenko - Ott
Gerbe - McCormick - Kaleta

(maybe switch Leino and Gerbe)

dma0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:46 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
The ultimate irony of the debating in this thread is that Ruff doesn't say he plans to use Ennis in a more defneisve role. All he says is that he hopes Ennis can pick up a good portion of Roy's minutes. Isn't this the same board that for years has been lauding for the day Ruff gives his offensive standouts more time to produce?
I said the same thing a few pages ago
This whole debate is centered on something Ruff didn't actually say. All he said was that he was gonna start feeding Ennis more minutes (and why wouldn't you give the guy who created the bulk of the team's offense down the stretch more time to do it?)...Not that he was vastly altering his role or handing him Roy's role.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:54 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
so there are no bad defensive players... because everyone can be taught.
Seriously? Defense is 1000x more teachable than offense. Any player can learn defensive positioning. Ennis has the hockey IQ, speed, and hand eye coordination to learn how to jump into passing lanes, keep his stick active to break up plays, etc. I don't think anyone here expects him to be a Selke candidate or overwhelm bigger players in board battles (thank goodness he's not a wing anymore, where there's more of that), but he can absolutely learn to play average D.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:55 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
I said the same thing a few pages ago
This whole debate is centered on something Ruff didn't actually say. All he said was that he was gonna start feeding Ennis more minutes (and why wouldn't you give the guy who created the bulk of the team's offense down the stretch more time to do it?)...Not that he was vastly altering his role or handing him Roy's role.
I agree. The conversation and Ruff's comments have been significantly overanalyzed.

Old
07-11-2012, 02:23 AM
heartsabres*

Vanek - grigorenko - pominville

Opening night, book it!

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:47 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
Vanek - grigorenko - pominville

Opening night, book it!
If Grigorenko makes the team, I find myself wondering whether this would be the best or worst (not counting 4th line, of course) place for him. As we saw with Luke Adam, playing between those guys can really make it easy on a rook but eventually the responsibilities can catch up. Unlike most other line combos, this line provides a very clear top offensive line that will absolutely, consistently draw top defensive match-ups all season long. While having support of those linemates will shelter him, it won't shelter him from the grind of going up against the league's top defensive centers every night.

It's hard to say if this is ultimately what's best. Having him on the wing with Hodgson and Vanek is a similar set-up which might still make it easier for him as it wouldn't necessarily always be getting top attention, he'd be going up against wingers, and he'd have far less responsibilities. He could also center, say, Leino and Pominville. That line could click fairly well and FES/Ott-Hodgson-Vanek would draw plenty of relative attention.

Old
07-11-2012, 02:58 AM
dma0034

Quote:
If Grigorenko makes the team, I find myself wondering whether this would be the best or worst (not counting 4th line, of course) place for him. As we saw with Luke Adam, playing between those guys can really make it easy on a rook but eventually the responsibilities can catch up. Unlike most other line combos, this line provides a very clear top offensive line that will absolutely, consistently draw top defensive match-ups all season long. While having support of those linemates will shelter him, it won't shelter him from the grind of going up against the league's top defensive centers every night.

It's hard to say if this is ultimately what's best. Having him on the wing with Hodgson and Vanek is a similar set-up which might still make it easier for him as it wouldn't necessarily always be getting top attention, he'd be going up against wingers, and he'd have far less responsibilities. He could also center, say, Leino and Pominville. That line could click fairly well and FES/Ott-Hodgson-Vanek would draw plenty of relative attention.
It's really difficult deciding the make up of the top 3 lines outside the FES

On one hand Pominville - x - Vanek was a solid line and could easily be our top line but at the same time if you split them the Sabres would have 3 balanced lines:

Leino - Grigorenko - Pominville
Vanek - Hodgson - Ott

Will be interesting moving forward

dma0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:21 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
I'd bet on Grigorenko making the team honestly. I think when Ruff said take Roy's minutes it just meant taking his spot on the first line (or our penalty kill will be hurt big time)

Vanek - Hogdson - Pominville
Leino - Grigorenko - Ott
Gerbe - McCormick - Kaleta

(maybe switch Leino and Gerbe)
Or how about definately switch Gerbe and Leino? And then you can switch Leino with Adam after that.

Last edited by joshjull: 07-11-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote