HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Andrej Sekera to Ottawa

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-10-2012, 10:28 PM
  #26
TSA0402
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,214
vCash: 500
Ottawa got their top 4 d-man in Methot, and whether or not he is an upgrade/downgrade is debatable, but I don't think its enough of a difference to sacrifice Smith and Greening.

One thing for certain, that Brassard/Sekera rumor before the start of last year isn't looking so good for Columbus right now.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:40 PM
  #27
Blitz
GONNA TAKE ReinHART
 
Blitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,128
vCash: 500
I would have said Sekera for N. Foligno and a 3rd, but I guess we would have to deal with Howson now... Seriously, though - the starter for Buffalo would likely be Smith or Zibanjihad (sp?)

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:42 PM
  #28
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy
 
MAK19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Madrid
Posts: 13,373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
I would have said Sekera for N. Foligno and a 3rd, but I guess we would have to deal with Howson now... Seriously, though - the starter for Buffalo would likely be Smith or Zibanjihad (sp?)
Sigh. Murray missed the boat once again

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:44 PM
  #29
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'
 
Marty Straka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,844
vCash: 500
Not a need for the sens anymore.. we got Methot, signed Lundin and have Mark Borowiecki waiting in line.

__________________
Marty Straka
Twitter: @JT_YosH
Marty Straka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:48 PM
  #30
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,356
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
I would have said Sekera for N. Foligno and a 3rd, but I guess we would have to deal with Howson now... Seriously, though - the starter for Buffalo would likely be Smith or Zibanjihad (sp?)
No offense here, but at jihad.

Marvelous Manked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:09 PM
  #31
tsujimoto74
Registered User
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Actually the statistical argument has been made:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1195891
Maybe I didn't phrase it properly. I meant there's no room for debate. There's no reasonable way to argue he was anything other than good/great last year.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:14 PM
  #32
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?
 
wubwubwubwub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 13,172
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post
For the lazy, the Andrej:
One of the more interesting posts I've read in a long time. Well done, whoever that was.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:36 PM
  #33
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid
 
Benny FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,173
vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBills2012 View Post
Spezza, but i'm sure Ottawa wouldn't do it.
so Methot for Pominville?

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:48 AM
  #34
Layne Staley
The Future
 
Layne Staley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roffler View Post
so Methot for Pominville?
Sekera>Methot

I'm not as high on Sekera as most Sabre fans but even I would not trade Sekera in the division, unless it's major overpayment....like Zibenejad +.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:38 AM
  #35
Andrej Shakira
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 36
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBills2012 View Post
Spezza, but i'm sure Ottawa wouldn't do it.
Sekera is quite valuable to us but no way we get Spezza for at least 3 reasons:

1 - Our division rival will not trade their #1 C within the division.

2 - Spezza is worth way more than just Sekera, plus Ottawa will make us pay through the nose because of reason 1.

3 - Spezza is far too important to Ottawa to trade him. Its not like Ottawa is a lottery team looking to rebuild. They almost beat the #1 seeded Rangers in the first round.

Andrej Shakira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:42 AM
  #36
KA BLAMO
.....
 
KA BLAMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,080
vCash: 50
Although Sekera is a good player, there's not really a need for him in Ottawa any more.

KA BLAMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:41 AM
  #37
SpezDispenser
Registered User
 
SpezDispenser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 14,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roffler View Post
Why do we need Sekera?
I don't get it either.

Methot, Karlsson, Cowen, Phillips, Boroweicki/Lundin, Gonchar, Wiercioch.

It might not be an all-star defense, but we don't need to add to it right now - unless that person's name is Bogosian (or the like).

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:45 AM
  #38
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)
 
ErikKarlsson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,201
vCash: 500
If the Sabres were not in the same division then I would have loved a Sekera for Foligno trade instead of the Methot one, but really if I had my way he would have never been traded.

Would love to see the Foligno brothers play on the same team though, they are both a blast to watch.

ErikKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:48 AM
  #39
pigpen65
Registered User
 
pigpen65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,088
vCash: 500
Definitely would have done it for foligno

pigpen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:54 AM
  #40
alpine4life
Registered User
 
alpine4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
Ottawa got their top 4 d-man in Methot, and whether or not he is an upgrade/downgrade is debatable, but I don't think its enough of a difference to sacrifice Smith and Greening.

One thing for certain, that Brassard/Sekera rumor before the start of last year isn't looking so good for Columbus right now.
oh dear god...

he's gonna be playing top 4 minutes?? from what i saw last year, he was barely a no.6 DMan

alpine4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:16 AM
  #41
trentmccleary
Registered User
 
trentmccleary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alfie-Ville
Posts: 18,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
I don't get it either.

Methot, Karlsson, Cowen, Phillips, Boroweicki/Lundin, Gonchar, Wiercioch.

It might not be an all-star defense, but we don't need to add to it right now - unless that person's name is Bogosian (or the like).

That defense corps will desperately need another offensive D-man the moment Gonchar leaves.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:34 AM
  #42
SpezDispenser
Registered User
 
SpezDispenser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 14,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
That defense corps will desperately need another offensive D-man the moment Gonchar leaves.
Yeah, Cody Ceci. Or, if he's not ready, you cross that bridge when you come to it.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:10 AM
  #43
GerbeSonOfGloin
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 481
vCash: 500
Sekera wouldn't be irreplaceable or anything on a normal playoff team, but our contract situation going forward makes it very difficult to move him.

GerbeSonOfGloin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:17 AM
  #44
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy
 
MAK19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Madrid
Posts: 13,373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
That defense corps will desperately need another offensive D-man the moment Gonchar leaves.
I would like Sekera on the Sens, but I can't help but shake my head at people calling him an offensive d-man or a two-way stud like the guy on the first page. 13 points last year. 13. Chris Phillips significantly outscored him.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:29 AM
  #45
bigfatfist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 462
vCash: 500
Sekera is a nice role playing defenceman, but there's no way he's worth a top prospect or player to any team.

bigfatfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:37 AM
  #46
pigpen65
Registered User
 
pigpen65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,088
vCash: 500
Because Sekera was labeled as an offensive Dman early in his career he has always been looked at as a disappointment for never having achieved much production. What gets ignored is how good he has become defensively. His skating, puck handling, and decision making were all excellent last year. Another couple years of it and i think he will start to get some big attention. For other teams, this would be the time to take the chance and get in while the price is low.

The sort of under appreciation for him by fans happens a lot for Dmen tagged early in their careers as offense only types, especially Euros. I remember the same thing happened with Zhitnik in Buffalo. Fans were still looking at him as an underachiever even while he was the clear #1 Dman eating up 25 mins per game.

pigpen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:38 AM
  #47
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sens11 View Post
I would like Sekera on the Sens, but I can't help but shake my head at people calling him an offensive d-man or a two-way stud like the guy on the first page. 13 points last year. 13. Chris Phillips significantly outscored him.
QOC
Sekera +0.38 (2nd on team)
Phillips -0.15 (4th on team)

Relative Corsi
Sekera +7.3
Phillips -8.2

GF on per 60
Sekera 2.51
Phillips 2.52

GA on per 60
Sekera 2.19
Phillips 2.17

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:43 AM
  #48
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatfist View Post
Sekera is a nice role playing defenceman, but there's no way he's worth a top prospect or player to any team.


It's amazing how the comfortable you are making statements that make you look completely clueless

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:52 AM
  #49
bigfatfist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post


It's amazing how the comfortable you are making statements that make you look completely clueless
Great. Thanks for the personal attack. Really helps the discussion.

Do you think that your comparison to Phillips (our 3rd pairing defenceman in the twighlight of his career) has contradicted my statement that he's not worth a top prospect or player?

This is hardly some prospect in Europe that we don't see play. We've watched Sekara come here for years now, and he's never shown me more than decent Dman. He's on the small side, he doesn't produce anywhere near the offence people hoped, and in the past couple games up here he seemed completely lost. He's a nice mid-pairing defenceman, for sure.

Sorry that I wouldn't want the Sens to give up anything substantive for him. Maybe if you come up with some nice comparison to Carkner, I could be swayed.

bigfatfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:55 AM
  #50
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation
 
Timbo Slice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Rochester
Country: United States
Posts: 15,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatfist View Post
Great. Thanks for the personal attack. Really helps the discussion.

Do you think that your comparison to Phillips (our 3rd pairing defenceman in the twighlight of his career) has contradicted my statement that he's not worth a top prospect or player?

This is hardly some prospect in Europe that we don't see play. We've watched Sekara come here for years now, and he's never shown me more than decent Dman. He's on the small side, he doesn't produce anywhere near the offence people hoped, and in the past couple games up here he seemed completely lost. He's a nice mid-pairing defenceman, for sure.

Sorry that I wouldn't want the Sens to give up anything substantive for him. Maybe if you come up with some nice comparison to Carkner, I could be swayed.
That's your opinion. Unfortunately for you, there are STATS that show how good he is. I'm sorry, but you can't argue with stats. Sekera is a top pairing defenseman on most teams in the league.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.