HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Jim Johnson as assistant coach

Old
07-11-2012, 01:35 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
Grübermeister

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
he knows no coaching job lasts forever, unless your name is barry trotz. sooner or later mclellan will be fired, it could be 5 years down the road after 2 stanley cups. but he will be fired in both of there life times.
That much is obvious, but DP seemed to regret not seeking clarification. There may have been something in the tone of his voice, who knows. It's probably nothing, but it is the summer and we're all bored.

"there's nothing good about dubstep." - The Nemesis
slocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:47 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
That much is obvious, but DP seemed to regret not seeking clarification. There may have been something in the tone of his voice, who knows. It's probably nothing, but it is the summer and we're all bored.
really i can't tell lol, i was reading 3 different threads last night and all 3 of them had nothing to do with the original thread name lol.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:52 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
I wonder that as well in regards as to why the PP coach got the boot instead of the PK coach. Shaw was supposedly in charge of our PP and that has performed quite well the past three seasons.
Or Shaw chose to leave after seeing his responsibilities get cut. He's probably more marketable than Woodcroft.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:55 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Or Shaw chose to leave after seeing his responsibilities get cut. He's probably more marketable than Woodcroft.
yeah every time i see fans wondering why shaw and not woodcroft i think this is true. woodcroft just doesn't seem like he would bounce back to well after being released, shaw will just get a new job and quickly.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:56 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
Grübermeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
really i can't tell lol, i was reading 3 different threads last night and all 3 of them had nothing to do with the original thread name lol.
Mwahaha, it did get a little stir-crazy in here yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Quite possible as it would be a sheisty move by DW to dump Shaw this late and right after he hired a 2nd coach this summer.

slocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:14 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Mwahaha, it did get a little stir-crazy in here yesterday

Quite possible as it would be a sheisty move by DW to dump Shaw this late and right after he hired a 2nd coach this summer.
Agree. They generally release ACs earlier if they are going to replace them to give them a better chance for moving on. See how Montreal blew past Robinson early.

IMO, the telling point on "Why Shaw?" was when he extolled the virtues of a passive defensive posture. I almost gagged at the time.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
IMO, the telling point on "Why Shaw?" was when he extolled the virtues of a passive defensive posture.
Can you explain it like I'm five?

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:18 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Can you explain it like I'm five?
During the season he was interviewed and asked about the passive defense. He defended it. After the quotes around Robinson and Johnson, it is pretty obvious how the idea of passive defense sat with the org after the season results.

Old
07-11-2012, 04:23 PM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

Quote:
During the season he was interviewed and asked about the passive defense. He defended it. After the quotes around Robinson and Johnson, it is pretty obvious how the idea of passive defense sat with the org after the season results.
I also don't think its coincidence that we got significantly worse when Yawney left along with Blake retiring.

We all blamed Yawney for quite a bit, but he did coach some good things.

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:25 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Oh yeah I remember complaining about that. Though didn't we hear the same from the Todd?

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:37 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalRemonster View Post
I also don't think its coincidence that we got significantly worse when Yawney left along with Blake retiring.

We all blamed Yawney for quite a bit, but he did coach some good things.
Yawney has his own track record which got worse this year. He was a mid-year AHL coaching replacement for the Ducks. He and Woodcroft shared PK which was pretty bad before he moved on. Yawney previously had a poor track record as an NHL HC and AHL HC. For the AHL part, it was both development and W/L record.

Woodcroft had results as a video coach, not so much as a bench guy.

Finally, every team needs to add some spice to the braintrust be they players or coaches. It gets stale if they don't and other teams catch onto their schtick. The record goes downhill.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:34 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

jimjohnson06 8:28pm via Twitter for iPhone Excited to be part of the San Jose Sharks coaching staff... Thank you for all your support! #nhl #chasingthecup

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:19 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffSydes View Post
Doesn't mean that Woodcroft cant/wont help
I doubt TMac will demote Woodcroft from assistant coach to coaching assistant. He'll likely focus on offense.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:57 AM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Excited to be part of the San Jose Sharks coaching staff... Thank you for all your support! #nhl #chasingthecup
Man look at that perfectly good wood stick he's using in the background photo. Rule #1 if I ever coached the defense... you use a wood stick now stupid.

Don't listen to that garbage about wood being just as bad as composite. Not even remotely true.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:23 AM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
Man look at that perfectly good wood stick he's using in the background photo. Rule #1 if I ever coached the defense... you use a wood stick now stupid.

Don't listen to that garbage about wood being just as bad as composite. Not even remotely true.
I'm pretty sure there are only like 1-2 players in the NHL that use wood sticks now and they're forwards. I don't understand what you're saying.

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:33 AM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
I'm pretty sure there are only like 1-2 players in the NHL that use wood sticks now and they're forwards. I don't understand what you're saying.
That they break... easily.... thus made unusable. Count this coming season how many breakaways are due to a one-timer where a composite stick breaks in half. Almost never happens with a wood stick.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:26 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
That they break... easily.... thus made unusable. Count this coming season how many breakaways are due to a one-timer where a composite stick breaks in half. Almost never happens with a wood stick.
No doubt! I finally gave up wood though a couple years ago because it got harder every year to find the pattern I like. Also the carbon or whatever shafts last forever. The one piece composites the pros use snap all the time but the poor players corbon shaft and abs(?) blades last pretty well. Usually only break blades slashing another players stick these days...

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:36 AM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Quote:
It's because they break in different ways, there was a thread about it on the main board a while back and someone had a good answer for it.

Quote:
a) Guys are bigger and stronger nowadays. This is the number one factor of having more broken stick. Stick rigidity has been surpassed by body and strength conditioning. Sticks will break more when you have more weight on the stick, while in the 80's and 90's the average weight of players was much less then it is today, hence sticks didn't break as much back then. Almost all nhl players are expert at loading up their stick with their bodyweight to get a powerful shot, something which i can't say true for 80's hockey.

b)As for slashing as shown in the picture, it is the same thing. Guys are more powerful and they hit with more velocity(having a lighter stick actually helps for that), hence they are more able to break a stick in half. It has nothing with the solidity of sticks. Composite can actually be harder then wood in some cases(depends on the brand and flex)

c)A wood stick will crack and you will get two pieces of wood hanging together. Thus a lot of broken sticks when unnoticed because players would skate back to the bench with the cracked stick and change. Most composite stick as soon as they crack will explode due to the rigidity of the stick as a whole body. Thus any composite broken stick is noticed and gives the impression that composite is weaker.

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote