HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jim Johnson as assistant coach

Old
07-10-2012, 10:43 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 500
this conversation reminds me of this story i read today.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/o...,2202967.story

Quote:
Clary, 23, of Riverside, Calif., shocked the swimming world Tuesday, when a columnist for a California newspaper quoted him as saying the Baltimore swimmer with a record 14 gold medals to his name doesn’t work as hard as he does.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:46 PM
Janney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
Sooooo, two defensive assistants? Hm ...
Maybe Robinson will act more like a counterweight to McLellan on all decisions, as opposed to just being involved with the defensive side. Plus, if McLellan goes with the same game plan as last season (tight grinding hockey), then responsible defensive hockey is essential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
Or like Roenick, who played with Marleau?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicdonya View Post
Shhhh its not like some players just dont like each other that much. It must be right if a few scrubs call out star players for not trying as hard as them.....
If the primary reason for Bradley calling out Semin was because of hatred, why bother saying he's one of the most talented guys in the league. In the case of people like Roenick or Marc Crawford who went out and used strong words ("gutless" or "loser") to describe players, doesn't mean that the message they were trying to convey is completely invalid. To me it seems they chose poor vocabulary in getting their point across, and for that reason you can't disregard all of what they said.

Janney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:54 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaii View Post
Can't say they didn't try fixing the D.
My problem is that the D doesn't need fixing. The PK needs fixing, and the offense needs fixing.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:07 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
My problem is that the D doesn't need fixing. The PK needs fixing, and the offense needs fixing.
that doesn't really need to be fixed either, just the pk needs to be fixed.

when your team allows 205 goals, and 44 of them are while on the pk at 4 on 5, and another 6 while at 3 on 5, and another 2 while at 3 on 4.

that is a stingy defense to go along with a pretty good offense.

fix the pk, and this team becomes even more scary then the kings, just because of the offense.

Old
07-10-2012, 11:07 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
8th in goals against
13th in goals for

needs moar offense.

magic school bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:08 PM
Dicdonya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
This convo started with this "The critics of Semin are similar to Marleaus critics."

Nowhere does it say those who say Marleau sucks.

And I'm not playing the "who's better out there" game. Marleau is not untradable, other than his NMC. Anyone can be traded and make the team better even if it's for multiple, lesser players.

And I coughed up my Marleau hairball Friday night and not feeling well, so I'm done for now.
Well than I guess you should not make snarky comments like you did if you dont want to be misunderstood.

I never said anyone who wants to trade marleau is wrong.

In the post I quoted you on, you did not once reference Semin, so I dont care where the discussion began, I was not talking about its origin, and niether was your snarky reply talking about it either.

Dicdonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:09 PM
Kitten Mittons

You know, defense plays on the PK too ...

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:13 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Even strength defense and PK are extremely different. We were 6th in GAA at even strength, and basically dead last in PK. We have the personnel. We need the system.

And we need more even strength offense, more specifically. It's funny. Even strength D and PP are good, even strength O and PK are bad.

Old
07-10-2012, 11:16 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadmanSJ View Post
Sorry, but if you are criticizing people, or 'critics', as being ridiculous in their expectations, these assertions are equally ridiculous in the opposite extreme
Not exactly.

Bradley clearly said that if Semin could be the best player in the league, but doesn't care...

Roenick has said multiple times that Marleau is not only more talented than he ever was but has the talent to be one of the best players in the league. Roenick literally said he wishes he was as talented as Patty is.

So because NBC isn't begging for a Mareau Crosby matchup well Marleau sucks. Its the only way Roenick can attack Marealu without sounding like a buffoon. The fact is Marleau produces. Marleau produces heavily in every aspect of the game. The guy scores GWGs and bails the Sharks out of the highest pressure situations. Often in the same game.

Last edited by WantonAbandon: 07-10-2012 at 11:30 PM.
WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:20 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winky View Post
I wouldn't go around saying Marleau is good/great defensively, I'd say he is decent/good, but that's it.

He probably is the best on a team known for having a roster of high end two way forwards. By far the best on the PK and one of the few that are even competent on the PK.

Old
07-10-2012, 11:25 PM
OffSydes
#tank2014/5

Roenick runs his mouth a lot for someone that never won the cup.

OffSydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:26 PM
Dicdonya

Quote:
Originally Posted by param View Post
Maybe Robinson will act more like a counterweight to McLellan on all decisions, as opposed to just being involved with the defensive side. Plus, if McLellan goes with the same game plan as last season (tight grinding hockey), then responsible defensive hockey is essential.
I hope that too. I also hope that Robinson will help get all the players (not just the D) to play a little more north/south and not try to overthink things. Thornton especially seems like he is overthinking the game at this point and waiting for the perfect pass, not just making any pass like he used to. Sound defense behind him will hopefully allow him to take a few more chances without the fear of screwing the whole team over. Everyone seemed to be TOO focused on not messing up, there was no creativity on the ice at all this year.

Quote:
If the primary reason for Bradley calling out Semin was because of hatred, why bother saying he's one of the most talented guys in the league. In the case of people like Roenick or Marc Crawford who went out and used strong words ("gutless" or "loser") to describe players, doesn't mean that the message they were trying to convey is completely invalid. To me it seems they chose poor vocabulary in getting their point across, and for that reason you can't disregard all of what they said.
Maybe because even if I admit that Leo Decaprio is way better looking then me, and a better actor then me it does not change the fact that I am still deep down wishing and hoping I had success like him, and in some way resent the fact that it SEEMS he has it so easy in life.

Just because you can admit someone is better than you, or has all the talent in the world, does not mean you have no resent for their situation, compared to yours.

So to Bradley and Steckel, they try really hard to make a team, and contribute, and then look at a guy like Semin, who SEEMS to have it so easy, and doesnt try, and just assume thats the case, because they resent the ease at which Semin can do things and they cannot. They dont "understand" why he does not try as hard as them, or seem to care as much as them. Its confusing to them, and when you dont understand something you tend to lash out against it, or say bad things about it. Its simply logical to not like something you cant understand, especially when it flies in the face of everything you "think" should be happening.

Old
07-10-2012, 11:27 PM
WantonAbandon

I feel bad about hijacking the new coaches thread. It will be interesting to follow him on twitter.

Last thing I will say is this. I think it is nearly impossible to claim that Semin or Marleau don't consistently produce. If you try I'd have to ask this: Compared to who?

Old
07-10-2012, 11:27 PM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffSydes View Post
Roenick runs his mouth a lot for someone that never won the cup.

So because he never won the Cup, he can't speak his mouth? Last I checked, it's a team sport and Roenick was great in the post-season.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:32 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post

So because he never won the Cup, he can't speak his mouth? Last I checked, it's a team sport and Roenick was great in the post-season.
He wasn't better than Marleau

Old
07-10-2012, 11:34 PM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
Except he was. Higher PPG (including the years he was way past his prime). Let's see what Marleau's post-season PPG is when he's 39.

Heck, I don't even know what that has to do with anything. So if he wasn't better than Marleau, he can't criticize him? McLellan hardly had any points in the NHL, I guess he can't coach.

Old
07-10-2012, 11:37 PM
Dicdonya

Quote:
Even strength defense and PK are extremely different. We were 6th in GAA at even strength, and basically dead last in PK. We have the personnel. We need the system.

And we need more even strength offense, more specifically. It's funny. Even strength D and PP are good, even strength O and PK are bad.
I agree that offense needs a lift too. I really hope that if our D core play at a higher level due to the new coaches it can help our forwards play a little more loose in the O zone.

The kings did a very good job of being able to play loose down low, knowing their D would back them up if the play came out sooner than anticipated.

We cant let teams freely enter our D zone any more. Thats gotta go, especially if the refs tendency to not call small interferences remains constant this year.

Old
07-10-2012, 11:38 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
Except he was. Higher PPG (including the years he was way past his prime). Let's see what Marleau's post-season PPG is when he's 39.

Heck, I don't even know what that has to do with anything. So if he wasn't better than Marleau, he can't criticize him? McLellan hardly had any points in the NHL, I guess he can't coach.
Yeah Roenick got over 100 points quite a few times.. soo its not really a comparison.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:38 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicdonya View Post
I hope that too. I also hope that Robinson will help get all the players (not just the D) to play a little more north/south and not try to overthink things. Thornton especially seems like he is overthinking the game at this point and waiting for the perfect pass, not just making any pass like he used to. Sound defense behind him will hopefully allow him to take a few more chances without the fear of screwing the whole team over. Everyone seemed to be TOO focused on not messing up, there was no creativity on the ice at all this year.

Maybe because even if I admit that Leo Decaprio is way better looking then me, and a better actor then me it does not change the fact that I am still deep down wishing and hoping I had success like him, and in some way resent the fact that it SEEMS he has it so easy in life.

Just because you can admit someone is better than you, or has all the talent in the world, does not mean you have no resent for their situation, compared to yours.

So to Bradley and Steckel, they try really hard to make a team, and contribute, and then look at a guy like Semin, who SEEMS to have it so easy, and doesnt try, and just assume thats the case, because they resent the ease at which Semin can do things and they cannot. They dont "understand" why he does not try as hard as them, or seem to care as much as them. Its confusing to them, and when you dont understand something you tend to lash out against it, or say bad things about it. Its simply logical to not like something you cant understand, especially when it flies in the face of everything you "think" should be happening.
Or Steckel and Bradley get frustrated because unlike any of us they know and care for sasha and they just want him to be on board with everyone else and saw his talent everyday. Alexander Semin can be one of the best players in the league but sometimes it appears he lacks that extra gear that is the difference between good players and great players. This thread has been completely blown off course haha. I'm happy with the new coaches. The lack of experience was apparent last year.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:40 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
stats tell a different story, and so does team success. roenick 2 times to the finals.

marleau has 25 games to put up 24 points. to match roenicks production in the playoffs. the only thing marleau has on roenick is goals scored.

Old
07-10-2012, 11:42 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Spring 2002: Jeremy Roenick, 32, comes off a successful regular season in which he scores 67 points in 75 regular season games. He proceeds to go pointless in 5 games as the Flyers are eliminated in the first round.

Sound familiar?

Old
07-10-2012, 11:45 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

There's room for improvement on the defensive side. (And that's not to say that the team has to be known solely nor primarily for its defense.)

IMHO Stanley Cup winning goalies should be in running for Jennings. (And probably the Vezina.)

Sharks haven't had a goalie like that since Nabby's rookie season.

Recall a statement that Niemi needed to "see" less rubber (which means more blocking of shots, or keeping the puck out of the defense zone in the first place).

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WantonAbandon

Quote:

First of all everyone talks about intangibles. Lets talk about real intangibles. I don't think the handful of points JR put up matches Marleau shutting down top competition. The ability to draw the competition to him when the play is going the other way. Provide the entry options on the transition. If he is still playing I'd guess that 41 year old Marleau would score over 2 times the amount of points as 36 year old Roenick did. Its just how Marelau is built. He has shown little signs of slowing down. Marleau is supposed be in decline, but he isn't.

Your focusing on the wrong thing. The point is Roenicks whole cirticism revolves around Marleau not being the best or one of the best players in the NHL. I heard Roenick emphatically insist that Marleau has far more talent than he ever had. Thats what it boils down to. Because the fact is Marleau produces heavily. To me its a silly arguement. If only Marleau was trying why he would be the best player in league..,.

Old
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

Offense and Defense? How can one exist without the other? Don't they feed and compliment each other?

Strengthening the D can only have a positive effect on the offense and the team in general. It's like working out your core muscles to give a solid framework for the rest of the body to do it's thang.

MadmanSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:47 PM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
Spring 2002: Jeremy Roenick, 32, comes off a successful regular season in which he scores 67 points in 75 regular season games. He proceeds to go pointless in 5 games as the Flyers are eliminated in the first round.

Sound familiar?
I'll have to do some extensive research, but I'm almost positive Roenick had a lot more than just "bumps and bruises" that post-season.